PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Bars

CosmicPal
04-06-2005, 01:24 PM
I'd be interested to know what you personally like for your top 5 bars in your town. If you can't name five, please feel free to share some of your favorite watering holes where you live- just in case I want to do some lengthy traveling this summer and hit your town for a drink. Here's mine in Denver:

El Chapultepec

Located on the edge of Lodo (Lower Downtown Denver) El Chapultec is not only one of the oldest bars in Denver, but it is a crowded and smoky Mexican joint that serves nothing but your basic Mexican food. However, the people don’t go there for the food- they go there for the live jazz music, the energy, and the drinks. El Chapultepec won’t take a credit card, and there is a one-drink minimum per set, so you’ll need to bring some cash. Just a block from Coors Field, it’s the place to go after a ballgame.

Lancer Lounge

The dive of dive bars: The kind of place that would have made Charles Bukowski feel right at home. It’s always dark and reeks of worn men, warm alcohol, and stale smoke. The place is usually run by a fiercely mean gal behind the bar; who incidentally reminds everyone of Carla from Cheers. The barflies are always warm and friendly. If you love a strong drink that will push your liver and kidneys over the edge, then this is the place for you.

Candlelight Tavern

Located in Central Denver, right smack in the middle of a neighborhood, this is your unpretentious neighborhood sports bar. You won’t find your jocks wearing Broncos jerseys’ hear though. This is the place to go when you want to shoot pool, play shuffleboard, darts, or foosball. It’s smaller than your average sports bar, looks more like a dive bar, but it is packed with some of the hottest single women in town. Cheap beers, a few games, and some hot women- and you’ve come to the right place.

Sobo 151

This is a Czech bar that masquerades as a sports bar. Some of the best pool tables in town, and one will always be available. A big screen TV and loads of small TVs scattered around the bar will give you a chance to watch any game. Strong drinks and quite honestly- one of the most underrated bars for food. The food is absolutely delicious. But, more importantly- the food comes in large portions to make your stomach more than happy.

Sancho’s Broken Arrow

Probably the most comfortable and colorful bar you’ll ever see. Worn couches embrace the walls for additional and more intimate seating. A big and wildly entertaining bar in the middle with fast-moving bartenders and anxious patrons. The place is loud and rocking and everyone is dancing a ring around the sun, ‘cause this is a bar for Deadheads. But, you don’t have to be a Deadhead to enjoy this place- the walls are covered with concert posters, and there are plenty of pool tables, air hockey tables, foosball, darts, and pinball machines to go around. The place is casual and friendly. A great place to just hang out, smile, and let loose.

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-06-2005, 01:27 PM
Backwaters
The Abbey
Barneys
The Tower
Twilight Zone

CosmicPal
04-06-2005, 01:28 PM
Backwaters
The Abbey
Barneys
The Tower
Twilight Zone

Uhhh, care to elaborate on what these places are like. :p

KC Dan
The Safe House

for you Dart: ROFL

Dr. Johnny Fever
Uhhh, care to elaborate on what these places are like. :p
They all have cold beer.

CosmicPal
04-06-2005, 01:30 PM
They all have cold beer.

Well, in that case- ANY bar would be your favorite

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Well, in that case- ANY bar would be your favorite
OK. I'll drink to that.

KCChiefsMan
04-06-2005, 01:33 PM
I live in Lawrence and I frequent these places:

West Coast Saloon - owners there are great and it is 1 block from where I live
Phoggy Dog- right next to the west coast
Pool Room
Jet Lag
Louises Downtown

Thats about it really. If I feel like going out and getting down on a dance floor (its a pretty site, believe you me), which isn't very often:
Liquid - a lot of nice looking 18 yr olds
Ranch - cheap a$$ drinks on Thurs and Fri
Brothers - not so much anymore since every time I go there there is a fight breaking out, or I almost get in one myself and people bring guns.....I stopped going there

CosmicPal
04-06-2005, 01:36 PM

Pool Room
Jet Lag
Louises Downtown

Thats about it really. If I feel like going out and getting down on a dance floor (its a pretty site, believe you me), which isn't very often:
Brothers - not so much anymore since every time I go there there is a fight breaking out, or I almost get in one myself and people bring guns.....I stopped going there

For me it would have to be: The Bottleneck, The Hawk, and Johnny's. I have no idea if any of those are still around, but they better damn well be.

badgirl
04-06-2005, 01:39 PM
The bar I used to go to when I partied was called
The Rocking Horse, it was a laid back country bar. :thumb: so if you ever go to the nascar races in Bristol TN stop by there, they always have good live bands every weekend. :thumb:

Bob Dole
04-06-2005, 01:39 PM
Fat Jack's Oyster and Sports Bar. Live music 3-4 nights a week and longnecks are $2.25. ($1.75 until 7pm)

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-06-2005, 01:40 PM
I've always wanted to open a bar/night club and call it "Bullshooters."

KCTitus
04-06-2005, 01:41 PM
We dont really have 'bars' in VA...they must have a kitchen to serve alcohol, but my two faves are Capitol Ale House and Bailey's....they're the closest to the house.

CosmicPal
04-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Fat Jack's Oyster and Sports Bar. Live music 3-4 nights a week and longnecks are $2.25. ($1.75 until 7pm)

I suppose the owner is fat and his name is Jack?

Mr. Kotter
04-06-2005, 01:44 PM
I hate the smoke....but I love catchin' bands at The Grand Emporium in KC....maybe it's just the nostalgia, but I think it's cool.

I don't frequent bars much anymore, other than sports bars though. Harpos in Westport can be fun too.

CosmicPal
04-06-2005, 01:46 PM
I hate the smoke....but I love catchin' bands at The Grand Emporium in KC....maybe it's just the nostalgia, but I think it's cool.

:thumb:

Nice....I used to love that place. We used to go there on Wednesday nights for the live reggae.

jcroft
04-06-2005, 01:48 PM
In Manhattan (all in Aggieville):

1. Rock-A-Belly Bar and Deli: Friendly atmosphere, hot waitresses, queer-friendly (important for some of my friends), caters to a *slightly* older crowd than many of the college bars in town -- most patrons are 25-35ish. Also, great sandwiches in the daytime. And did I mention the hot waitresses?

2. Auntie Mae's Parlor:Nice place, relaxed atmosphere, good live music, good service.

3. Joe's Tap Room: My favorite in town for dancing. Big club, sometimes with two DJs, nice balcony for people-watching, lots of hot college girls, good bar, cheap specials, regular wet t-shirt contests, etc.

4. Rusty's Last Chance: Best in town for sports viewing and general fun. Tons of TVs, pool tables, many different bars, etc. Rusty's is enormous -- it spans almost an entire city block. I don't go there often because the scene is a bit too "college" and especially "frat" for me, but it's definitely neat place and one of the most popular in town.

5. Everything else in Aggieville.

Simplex3
04-06-2005, 01:56 PM
The best bar is in my kitchen. It's stocked with good booze and comes in a glass any size I want for half the price.

Some buddies and I used to wind up at this shit-hole called "Rikki's Landing" (sp?) off I-35 and a little North of Johnson Drive after a bad night out and count teeth. It never required more than one hand each. Anybody know if that place is still open?

Saulbadguy
04-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Topeka...

1. Skinny's. Best buffalo wings i've ever had.

2. Bullfrogs Live

3. Spanky's

4. Bullfrogs

5. Drive to Lawrence

Chest Rockwell
04-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Suh-weeet ass topic. Rep.

I'm just south of you in the Springs. Not too terribly fond of Denver, but I do get up there fairly often...thanks for the reccos.

While I frequent many frequently, I'd have to say my top 5 are (I lean towards dives, though these arent ALL dives, so be forewarned):

1) Bristol Brewing Company. http://www.bristolbrewing.com/
Live music, great atmosphere (can you say FREE shuffleboard), and the best beer in town, brewerey fresh. Smallish place, probably only seating for about 30 but always a good time. The best reason to go: limited release (usually only ONE 1/4 barrel keg) and specitaly beers availible only by the pint (Cherry Warlock, the Skull and Bones series, and the New World IPA (10+% alcohol and over 30 varieties of hops) If you get hungry, mosy over to the Blue Star next door.

2) Fanz. A "sports" bar with a seared Ahi with strawberry wasabi as an appetizer and Duck as an entree? Ok, so this place isn't a dive, but the food is the best bar food in town. Maybe the best sports bar food I've had anywhere. Reasonable prices (the duck is only $8.75, for the love of Buddah), and fun servers. The one gripe I have is there are no bigscreens. If I'm watching the Chiefs, I go to Kelly O'Brian's (nothing quite like a sports bar in Colorado that's half Chiefs fans, half Raider fans, and about 3 Donk fans in the middle getting pelted by sh*t the whole time), but if I'm going to eat and watch a game, it's Fanz. Gourmet food with NASCAR personality.

3) Cleat's. Unfinished wood interior, dark, smokey, broken booths...my kind of place. This is my regular. Plenty of TVs and smart-ass servers who'll do shots with you all night. Decent food (but stay away from the cole slaw. True story: Buddy of mine orders a sandwich and asks the server which side she'd reccomend, to which she replies "anything but the cole slaw, it f*ckin' sucks." Of course he orders the slaw...then tells her how bad it is, to which she replies: "told you, dumbass."), and when the kitchen closes, they'll place an order from the Domino's across the street for you AND go get it.

4) The Golden Bee. Beer by the yard and singin' along with the piano player. It gets really packed with the Broadmoor guests and tourists, but it's worth it. Authentic English pub (the Bar is actually from some bar that used to be in London), good grub here too.

5) Murphy's. Out dives any dive I've ever been to, with the exception of Metz bar in Metz, MO. This is a high compliment from me. Must be seen to appreciate.

This probably isn't fair, but I'm going to throw in the rest of the places I get to every month or so in here, as they all deserve mention: Tony's (Wisconsin bar), Benny's (2nd best dive to Murphy's), 15C (best martinis in town, a bit too uppity for me most of the time), McKenzie's (another too uppity most of the time place ($8 kobe beef hamburger appetizers that are the size of a White Castle slider); best part of McKenzie's is to go watch all the 20 somethings try to act like 40 somethngs...fun to do in tandem with heading to the Ritz later and watch all the 40 somethings try to act 20) , the Sports Page (great view, horrid service. If you ever want to go watch a game someplace and not be bothered, this is it. I watched 2 NCAA tourney games there, went to the bar for change for a pool table 4 times, and was never even asked if I wanted a drink. If they wanna let me leech their satellite for free while I skip out on work, fine.), Jack Quinn's (Irish Pub), and The Wayfarer (English pub).

That's about it. Well, that I'd reccomend.

CosmicPal
04-06-2005, 02:18 PM
Suh-weeet ass topic. Rep.

I'm just south of you in the Springs. Not too terribly fond of Denver, but I do get up there fairly often...thanks for the reccos.

You're welcome. PM if you ever want to hit up a joint in Denver.

I've got a buddy of mine who is buying a house in the Springs. I'll have to pass your list on to him.

Mr. Kotter
04-06-2005, 02:19 PM
4) The Golden Bee. Beer by the yard and singin' along with the piano player. It gets really packed with the Broadmoor guests and tourists, but it's worth it. Authentic English pub (the Bar is actually from some bar that used to be in London), good grub here too.

When I was stationed at Ft. Carson, that was one of our favorite spots, especially EARLIER in the evening....we go there, get sloppy-goofy, then head to North Academy to one of the meat market venues. Sometimes though, we'd just stay put at the "Bee;" it was always a blast. A couple of buddies actually got lucky quite regularly with some of the "lonely" older MILF types who were stayin' at the Broadmoor....

Bob Dole
04-06-2005, 02:22 PM
I suppose the owner is fat and his name is Jack?

After a couple of heart attacks, Jack ain't nearly as fat as he used to be.

ptlyon
04-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Topeka...

1. Skinny's. Best buffalo wings i've ever had.

2. Bullfrogs Live

3. Spanky's

4. Bullfrogs

5. Drive to Lawrence

No Blind Tiger?

Chest Rockwell
04-06-2005, 02:23 PM
You're welcome. PM if you ever want to hit up a joint in Denver.

I've got a buddy of mine who is buying a house in the Springs. I'll have to pass your list on to him.

Right on. Same thing if you guys ever want to do something down here.

Your buddy got a realtor yet? Mine was awesome, I'll pass along her contact info if he's in need.

tomahawk kid
04-06-2005, 02:26 PM
KC -

1. Harry's Country Club
2. Tanner's Downtown
3. Harpo's
4. O'Dowds
5. The Levee

CosmicPal
04-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Right on. Same thing if you guys ever want to do something down here.

Your buddy got a realtor yet? Mine was awesome, I'll pass along her contact info if he's in need.

Should he buy the property, I'll make a couple of visits down there. I'll be sure to look you up. He's actually buying his father's property, so he won't need a realtor...thanks anyway.

Chest Rockwell
04-06-2005, 02:28 PM
When I was stationed at Ft. Carson, that was one of our favorite spots, especially EARLIER in the evening....we go there, get sloppy-goofy, then head to North Academy to one of the meat market venues. Sometimes though, we'd just stay put at the "Bee;" it was always a blast. A couple of buddies actually got lucky quite regularly with some of the "lonely" older MILF types who were stayin' at the Broadmoor....

Heh...lonely older MILFS. Definitley a lot of those at the Broadmoor, with plenty of money to boot. Early is good at the Bee, as it tends to get a bit overrun later.

How long ago were you here? The north Academy area has just gone nuts lately. The big meat market now is downtown, all the college kids and divorcees (see the Ritz/McKenzie's comments) hit Tequila's and Rum Bay, get drunked-up, then get hit with Tasers. Good times.

KCChiefsMan
04-06-2005, 02:35 PM
KC -

1. Harry's Country Club
2. Tanner's Downtown
3. Harpo's
4. O'Dowds
5. The Levee

I like Harpo's in the summer time, Tuesday nights used to be 0.25 draws, a lot of nice women there too.....of course those draws are natty light tho...

Bob Dole
04-06-2005, 02:37 PM
KC -

1. Harry's Country Club
2. Tanner's Downtown
3. Harpo's
4. O'Dowds
5. The Levee

Bob Dole used to go to The Levee every Thursday night.

RIP Little Hatch.

CosmicPal
04-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Bob Dole used to go to The Levee every Thursday night.

Me too. Gawd that was a fun place. Great patio in the summer.

Mr. Kotter
04-06-2005, 02:40 PM
Heh...lonely older MILFS. Definitley a lot of those at the Broadmoor, with plenty of money to boot. Early is good at the Bee, as it tends to get a bit overrun later.

How long ago were you here? The north Academy area has just gone nuts lately. The big meat market now is downtown, all the college kids and divorcees (see the Ritz/McKenzie's comments) hit Tequila's and Rum Bay, get drunked-up, then get hit with Tasers. Good times.

Heh. It was late 80s and early 90s. I'm sure the places I went to have been replaced by new spots. We frequented O'Furrys/Meadow Muffins, Studebakers, Shadows (@ the Sheraton), a bar at the Westside Marriot....started with a "C" I think, a place called "Club Suburbia," and a few others. Yeah, I was 22-26....it was good times.

Chest Rockwell
04-06-2005, 02:42 PM
KC -

1. Harry's Country Club
2. Tanner's Downtown
3. Harpo's
4. O'Dowds
5. The Levee

Whaaaaat? No Beaumont? Heh.

dave0320
04-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Sloppy Joe's, Kew West, FL - Great suds, great rock. :thumb:

ptlyon
04-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Whaaaaat? No Beaumont? Heh.

BTW CR - I bet you are a UoD fan for the Frozen Four, eh?

Chest Rockwell
04-06-2005, 02:49 PM
BTW CR - I bet you are a UoD fan for the Frozen Four, eh?

Not quite...

Colorado Springs is CC Tiger country.

ptlyon
04-06-2005, 02:51 PM
Not quite...

Colorado Springs is CC Tiger country.

Ah.

Fightin' Sioux Fan here.

Good luck - hope they meet on Saturday!

Chest Rockwell
04-06-2005, 02:57 PM
Ah.

Fightin' Sioux Fan here.

Good luck - hope they meet on Saturday!

Back at you...can't stand DU or UM. UND should have been a lot better this year, tough break losing those kids to the leauge formerly known as the NHL. Genoway and Zach Pariese would have been an offensive line right up there with Sertich and Sterling this year.

I like UND, always go to see them when they're here...couldn't belive Denver beat them in the regionals last year Burkhole just got crazy hot during the tourney last year...kinda reminds me of UND this year actually.

teedubya
04-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Joes Sports Bar in St. Joseph MO

Spicy McHaggis
04-06-2005, 03:07 PM
Lawrence bars I frequent,

Bottleneck - good shows and fairly cheap beer
Jazz House
Louise's - Gotta go for schooner night
The Hawk - Great for meeting sorority girls
Occasionally Abe and Jake's, it's worth going for the bigger events such as stop day etc.

I like going to Henry's bar upstairs when I just want to sit and talk with people. Plus the owner's cool as hell and also runs The Crossing.

The Rick
04-06-2005, 03:10 PM
The Safe House

:thumb:

Chest Rockwell
04-06-2005, 03:46 PM
Since I've got some time to kill and it appears I'm trying to take this thread over, I'll add my list for Salt Lake City as well:

1) Squatters
http://www.squatters.com/
I like brewpubs. Squatters is a good brewpub (I actually preferred Fuggles, or Salt Lake Brewing Company, but alas, it's no more). From the Mug Club (25 ozer personalized with your name and kept/displayed behind the bar, plus special prices) to the food, a quality place. Not to mention the home of my all-time favorite beer: Captain Bastard's Oatmeal Stout.

2) Desert's Edge Brewery at the Pub. Known locally just as "The Pub." Have a great IPA, and their LDS (Latter Day Stout) is great also, but their real claim to fame is their food (especially the Friday pasta salad). This is also a brewpub, located in Trolley Square. Atmosphere is great.

3) Brewvies Cinema Pub.
http://www.brewvies.com/
What can make even a Ben Affleck movie tolerable? Beer. Damn straight. Great place with a bar and pool tables out front, and two theaters in the back. Couches in the back of the theaters for extra comfort (or kernoodling, I'd probably stay away from them actually, no telling what you might catch), the aisles are wide to accomidate both knee room and the ledge to set your food/brew on. A plate of nachos and a pitcher of Captain Bastard's, and even Gigli is almost watchable.

4) The Dead Goat Saloon.
http://www.deadgoat.com/
Great live music venue. Used to be a Blues club. It's one of Salt Lake's many "Private Clubs for Members Only." That's just a nice way of saying "you give us $20, and we'll give you $20 in drink/food vouchers so we can sell alcohol without food and keep the state happy." It's a very screwed up place liquor law wise. Anyway, I've heard rumblings that this place was going to be turned into a topless bar, but I don't know if it happend. Can't say titties and beer is a bad thing, but I kinda like the place the way it was.

5) Iggy's sports bar. GIANT screen behind the bar, NFL brunch specials, good food, and TONS of cool memrobilia. My favorite sports bar in SLC, though the Sky Box is supposed to be good as well.

Honorable mention:

Wasatch Brewery (Park City): Home of the infamous Polygamy Porter and Unofficial 2002 Pale Ale, a great old-west type ski town bar.

Port 'o' Call: another private club known to me and my buddies in College as "Port 'o' Slut." Nuff said.

MOhillbilly
04-06-2005, 03:48 PM
i avoid them at all costs.

Bob Dole
04-06-2005, 03:52 PM
i avoid them at all costs.

Only because you've been on America's Most Wanted.

CosmicPal
04-06-2005, 03:53 PM
The Hawk - Great for meeting sorority girls

You know the Hawk has bullet holes in the ceiling. Years ago, when it first opened, the owner of the Hawk told all the kids it was closing time and to go home. Nobody would budge and instead, continued to drink.
After some time, the owner decided enough was enough and fired a few shots into the ceiling and the kids all ran out of the bar as if it was on fire.

At least that's the story I've been told.

CosmicPal
04-06-2005, 04:08 PM
El Chapultepec

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper538/stills/9f3abw3c.jpg

Sobo 151

http://media.mnginteractive.com/media/paper36/rickbar0611.jpg

Calcountry
04-06-2005, 04:18 PM
I'd be interested to know what you personally like for your top 5 bars in your town. If you can't name five, please feel free to share some of your favorite watering holes where you live- just in case I want to do some lengthy traveling this summer and hit your town for a drink. Here's mine in Denver:

El Chapultepec

Located on the edge of Lodo (Lower Downtown Denver) El Chapultec is not only one of the oldest bars in Denver, but it is a crowded and smoky Mexican joint that serves nothing but your basic Mexican food. However, the people don’t go there for the food- they go there for the live jazz music, the energy, and the drinks. El Chapultepec won’t take a credit card, and there is a one-drink minimum per set, so you’ll need to bring some cash. Just a block from Coors Field, it’s the place to go after a ballgame.

Lancer Lounge

The dive of dive bars: The kind of place that would have made Charles Bukowski feel right at home. It’s always dark and reeks of worn men, warm alcohol, and stale smoke. The place is usually run by a fiercely mean gal behind the bar; who incidentally reminds everyone of Carla from Cheers. The barflies are always warm and friendly. If you love a strong drink that will push your liver and kidneys over the edge, then this is the place for you.

Candlelight Tavern

Located in Central Denver, right smack in the middle of a neighborhood, this is your unpretentious neighborhood sports bar. You won’t find your jocks wearing Broncos jerseys’ hear though. This is the place to go when you want to shoot pool, play shuffleboard, darts, or foosball. It’s smaller than your average sports bar, looks more like a dive bar, but it is packed with some of the hottest single women in town. Cheap beers, a few games, and some hot women- and you’ve come to the right place.

Sobo 151

This is a Czech bar that masquerades as a sports bar. Some of the best pool tables in town, and one will always be available. A big screen TV and loads of small TVs scattered around the bar will give you a chance to watch any game. Strong drinks and quite honestly- one of the most underrated bars for food. The food is absolutely delicious. But, more importantly- the food comes in large portions to make your stomach more than happy.

Sancho’s Broken Arrow

Probably the most comfortable and colorful bar you’ll ever see. Worn couches embrace the walls for additional and more intimate seating. A big and wildly entertaining bar in the middle with fast-moving bartenders and anxious patrons. The place is loud and rocking and everyone is dancing a ring around the sun, ‘cause this is a bar for Deadheads. But, you don’t have to be a Deadhead to enjoy this place- the walls are covered with concert posters, and there are plenty of pool tables, air hockey tables, foosball, darts, and pinball machines to go around. The place is casual and friendly. A great place to just hang out, smile, and let loose.
Hersheys, Reeses, and of course Snickers bars.

Demonpenz
04-06-2005, 05:17 PM
I will list mine from 5 different places.

It sounds dumb but there is this old pizza hut in st joe that is now a bar and they have like 4 dollar pitchers that i drink before and after bowling. They have a deck and I know the guys. I like drinking there.

Kansas City I like the Point or the Brooksider

Springfield I like ebbets field and harpo's and dennis's
dennis's has the sluttiest bartenders ever

Rolla well it's the tator patch and grotto

Northwest it's burny's

Over-Head
04-06-2005, 05:55 PM
My all time favortie is "The Palace" in Halifax Nova Scotia.
http://www.clubzone.com/c/Halifax/Nightclub/The_Palace.html
During the the 80's I was in 3 different bands, each of which were the "house band".
We opened for Jeff Healey, Kim Mitchell, Trooper, April Wine, Helix, Honeymoon Suite, Matt Mingelwqood, Paul Lawson, The Headpins, Sas Jorden, Lee Aaron, Stephewolf, The Guess Who, Triumph, and even Van Halen (who played as "Loss of Control" right after comming off stage from the "Metro Center" during their "Diver Down" tour, just to name a few
It's truly a bar you have to go to to really enjoy.
The guy's running the soundboard will do everything to make you sound your best, and really help out the opening acts just as much as the headliners.
5 Stars for this bar
(**as a side note "The Misty Moon" would have been my #1 pick, but it closed in 91')

Club One / Sundance Bar and Grill
George St. St John's Newfoundland
- The holy grail for live bands in the city. Everything from Gun's N Roses cover bands to Neil Diamond atributes and everything else in between.
(Last week was a 2 night SOLD OUT show by "Thunderstruck" and AC/DC tribute band. WICKED SHOW!!!!!!!)

Arizona's bar and grill
Carlingview Drive, Mississauga Ont.
Great atmosphere, out of this world food.
And a staff that are as hoot as supermodles, but love to sit and sip a beer with ya.
Tons of pool tables, BIG dance floor.
It's a sports bar / dance club type of affair.
4 Star place for sure.

And of course "The Whiskey a Go-Go" or "Trubador" in L.A You could walk in there and just feel the music in the air from the ledgends who have played there over the years.

Hammock Parties
04-06-2005, 05:56 PM
Outer Marker- Addison, Texas

Gilligan's - Arlington, Texas

vailpass
04-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Only because you've been on America's Most Wanted.
ROFL

vailpass
04-06-2005, 06:03 PM
The sign says: "Hot Burritos, Cools Jazz". Love that place.

[QUOTE=CosmicPal]El Chapultepec

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper538/stills/9f3abw3c.jpg

vailpass
04-06-2005, 06:13 PM
1. Mahoneys Pub; Cedar Rapids, IA
The coolest and most capable bar staff you will ever meet. Lummy is hands-down a sauce genius and Jill is all that plus hot as nails. The best thing about Mahoneys is that you can go in day or night and run into some good people for some good conversation in an atmosphere that feels like home.

2. Morrison Inn; Morrison, CO
34 oz. margaritas in an outdoor deck right next to Red Rocks Amphitheatre. Plenty o' pre-concert drinking and mingling to be had in a beautiful mountain setting

3. Cherry Cricket; Denver, CO
Killer food in an outstanding environment. Wide beer selection, great first-date bar.

4. Wash Park Grill; Denver, CO
Personalized glass steins for free, stored on site awaiting your return. Always a place to meet that special someone: mrs. rightnow.

5. The George & Dragon; Phoenix, AZ
It's a bit of an English pub owned and run by a bunch of hard-nosed blokes from jolly old England. Rugby and English Football with an occasional Cricket match are all you see on the telly. Authentic English food (as good as can be for English food) oh and did I mention over 200 bottled beers from which to choose?

CosmicPal
04-06-2005, 06:21 PM
2. Morrison Inn; Morrison, CO
34 oz. margaritas in an outdoor deck right next to Red Rocks Amphitheatre. Plenty o' pre-concert drinking and mingling to be had in a beautiful mountain setting

You said it! I love the Morrison Inn. Great place to go for lunch or a pre-concert beer. However, your pre-concert partying should always be at Red Rocks. If we get there early enough, before the gates open, we'll stop by the Morrison Inn for a couple.

3. Cherry Cricket; Denver, CO
Killer food in an outstanding environment

Great food. I would have put this joint over Sobo 151, but lately it's become a pain in the arse to park in Cherry Creek, but more importantly it's also pay parking along the street now. Getting to the Cricket isn't what it used to be.

4. Wash Park Grill; Denver, CO
Personalized glass steins for free, stored on site awaiting your return. Always a place to meet that special someone: mrs. rightnow.

I like Wash Park as well. It's one of those places that looks like its pretentious, but it's not. Quite honestly, I think the food is highly overrated. I've eaten there a few times and simply was not impressed with the food and particularly the prices. But, for shooting pool, picking up drunken, wicked women- Yes! It's a good place.

vailpass
04-06-2005, 06:29 PM
Hey Cosmic,
You and I seem to be on othe same wavelength as far as establishments go so I'll ask you: I was trying to think of a bar in LoDo I used to really like. It's in a hotel (not the Brown Palace but a real nice hotel), all done up in 1930's decor, with a jukebox that is free and plays only Sinatra, Martin, and Elvis music.
The place is (was) known for their martinis. I've ruined a few evening by stopping there first for a 5-martini happy hour.
Ring any bells with you?

Next Segment: Favorite After-Bar Eateries
My Nomination: Pete's Kitchen on Colfax Ave.; Denver, CO

ZepSinger
04-06-2005, 07:19 PM
I don't frequent the bars anymore, not since I played in 'em. But for nostalgia's sake, here were my absolute fav bars/clubs to play back in the 80's/early 90's-

1. The Lone Star- Kansas City
THE metal hangout at the time. Leather, hairspray and hot chicks galore.

2. Backstage- Kansas City
We did every Tuesday nite and hosted Jam Nite for almost 2 years here. KILLER club.

3. The Prime Time- Salina, Kansas
ALL TIME favorite club. Best stage, free beer for the band, 1,000+ nightly. TONS of hot chicks.

4. Beethoven's- Davenport, IA
HUGE club. 6' high stage. Again, lots of fun.

5. The Rock C- Mason City, IA
Our home club. Packed with our homies every nite.

I don't think any of them still exist. Too bad. :deevee:

CosmicPal
04-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Hey Cosmic,
You and I seem to be on othe same wavelength as far as establishments go so I'll ask you: I was trying to think of a bar in LoDo I used to really like. It's in a hotel (not the Brown Palace but a real nice hotel), all done up in 1930's decor, with a jukebox that is free and plays only Sinatra, Martin, and Elvis music.
The place is (was) known for their martinis. I've ruined a few evening by stopping there first for a 5-martini happy hour.
Ring any bells with you?

Next Segment: Favorite After-Bar Eateries
My Nomination: Pete's Kitchen on Colfax Ave.; Denver, CO

Yep...I believe you're thinking of The Cruise Room. It was next to McCormick's. I've been there a few times before LoDo got too big for my tastes. It was fun then, and I hear it still packs 'em in.

Pete's Kitchen is grease heaven! Good on the stomach, and good on the wallet!

Nzoner
04-06-2005, 07:43 PM
Joes Sports Bar in St. Joseph MO

aka Hoops,Homers & Huddles

Thanks it's my favorite as well.

Brando
04-06-2005, 07:44 PM
my bro loves Dos Gringos

CosmicPal
04-06-2005, 07:52 PM
Sorry my message ran so long Cosmic. I just love bars.

Don't apologize- that was sweet!

You and I ought to team up and write for The Modern Drunkard magazine. Give 'em some travel stories of bars across the land.... :thumb:

Nzoner
04-06-2005, 08:12 PM
If and when I leave my own it's usually because I'm out of town and st joe doesn't have much to offer,so my list of favs are all out of town.

Abbey Road Virginia Beach,VA bar with Beatles collectibles everywhere,they also feature live music nightly.

Great American Sports Bar located in the Mall Of America 5 themes in one, the main section is a sports bar extrodinare complete with a boxing ring that doubles as a dance floor.Also has 3 other sections which include a piano bar,a retro bar,and as I recall a hip-hop something or another but I didn't last a minute there.

Just Georges also in Virginia Beach,a sports bar featuring 5 large flat screens and numerous other tv's including tv's in the bathroom above each urinal.This place also has a restaurant on the side which features the largest seafood buffet I've ever seen for $19.95

O'Malley Brothers in Old Westport in KC just for the mere fact that Bob Walkenhorst plays live there on a weekly basis.

The Winking Lizard in Canton Ohio,the largest selection of beers I've ever seen and where I fell in love with Lowenweiss.

stevieray
04-06-2005, 09:06 PM

I worked for Pete, did some artwork at the Alameda restaurant..

stevieray
04-06-2005, 09:08 PM

back in the day...
Bangles
Gold Rush
Panama Reds

|Zach|
04-06-2005, 09:13 PM
Ebbet's Field - It is my home bar around here. It is a great place; right down the street from my apartment. I don't have to drive to or from the place. Laid back enjoyable atmoshphere and really nice folks.

Gilardi's - More of an upscale spot to have drinks. Really cool looking Italian restraunt. Awesome atmoshere

Patton Alley Pub - 168 different kinds of beer. Knowledgable staff and good music.

Blue Moon - I don't have to pay. :)

teedubya
04-06-2005, 10:10 PM
Ebbet's Field - It is my home bar around here. It is a great place; right down the street from my apartment. I don't have to drive to or from the place. Laid back enjoyable atmoshphere and really nice folks.

Gilardi's - More of an upscale spot to have drinks. Really cool looking Italian restraunt. Awesome atmoshere

Patton Alley Pub - 168 different kinds of beer. Knowledgable staff and good music.

Blue Moon - I don't have to pay. :)

NOTE TO SELF: need to visit Zach at his parents bar sometime. Must obtain some free drinks.

WilliamTheIrish
04-06-2005, 10:15 PM
For me it would have to be: The Bottleneck, The Hawk, and Johnny's. I have no idea if any of those are still around, but they better damn well be.

I have many fond/foggy memories of Johnny's Up and Under in Larry. Got so drunk in there one night with a buddy we went across the street and fired up a locomotive in the Union Pacific RR yard.
He worked for the UP and ended up in rehab just to save his job after our near arrest.

WilliamTheIrish
04-06-2005, 10:18 PM

Pool Room
Jet Lag
Louises Downtown

Jet Lag used to be a great place. The year KU hired Larry Brown I was in Lawrence for some event and myself and several friends stopped in the Jt Lag and he was there. Tending bar. Just for the hell of it. He poured beer all afternoon.

Larry Brown was a helluva guy.

CosmicPal
04-06-2005, 10:58 PM

No kidding? Isn't that the Greek Cafe' one? Alameda and Pearl St?

Uhhh, that is only a block up from one of the bars I mentioned in the title post: Candlelight Tavern

ChiTown
04-06-2005, 11:02 PM
Too many to list:

I started going to bars at 16 - as soon as I had a license to drive. My first regular bar was Ruthies Keyhole in Mission (off Johnson Dr in KC). I think it's still there.................what a fn dive, but I gd loved that place. I was a regular by the age of 18. lmfao

Hammock Parties
04-06-2005, 11:03 PM
Too many to list:

I started going to bars at 16 - as soon as I had a license to drive. My first regular bar was Ruthies Keyhole in Mission (off Johnson Dr in KC). I think it's still there.................what a fn dive, but I gd loved that place. I was a regular by the age of 18. lmfao

You bad bad boy!

ChiTown
04-06-2005, 11:07 PM
You bad bad boy!

You should have seen this place. It had about 10 people between the ages of 55-70 and 10 kids between the ages of 16-18. What a dichotomy............

CosmicPal
04-06-2005, 11:27 PM
I got to do one for those KC bars I used to frequent as my faves before moving to Denver- just for old times sake:

Fuzzy's South

The late night sports bar. Never went there during the day- only after the Kansas bars closed. The place was packed, the women were drunk, and the times were great.

Harry's Bar & Tables

The only place I know where I could be sitting at the bar next to Carl Peterson on one side and a drunken bum on the other. Loy, who sold the Lone Star (or was it the Buzzard Beach), took the money and made Harry's. I met him one night when I asked the bartender who painted the painting of Charles Bukowski along the stairwell. He was surprised to discover I even knew that it was the late Charles Bukowski. I met one of my ex-fiance's there, and broke up with her a couple of years later there as well.

Kelly's Westport Tavern

The old pony express depot was the best and cheapest place for happy hour. Met a many of gals there first before moving on to the other bars.

BB's Lawnside BBQ

There is no better place to get your face red with BBQ, brews, and the blues. This joint is always alive and kicking. The staff was great. The crowd was delirious and the atmosphere was always rockin'

The Hurricane

I hear it's a punk bar or some heavy metal bar now and that it lost it's popularity, but those early years when it first opened its door in Westport- it was the best place to go for live music in the summer time. A small outdoor patio filled to capacity with some better-than-average local bands. I can still remember the staff that worked there. We used to get up there for happy hour on Friday nights just to hear the Bon Ton Soul Accordian Band- they always had the funkiest New Orleans sound. Great fun, great friends, and some great times.

Others:

Blayney's, Davey's Uptown Tavern, The Grand Emporium, Tanner's, and there was a couple of Irish pubs, one on 87th street in OPKS, and another one on the Plaza- can't recall their names right now. Danny's in Lenexa was a funtabulous place to go when I was living over by there. I shared a tri-level townhouse with a couple of friends and we used to saunter into Danny's all the time. They threw me out after I stupidly started a major brawl. I was never welcomed back.

Anyways, those were some of the places I frequented when I was living in KC at the time. They were some of the best of times, and some of the worst of times. I'll always remember them fondly though, and some of the great peeps I met while hitting the bars.

1adam1238
04-07-2005, 06:14 AM
This thread is worthless without the beer.

Nzoner
04-07-2005, 07:05 AM
I got to do one for those KC bars I used to frequent as my faves before moving to Denver- just for old times sake:

The Hurricane

I hear it's a punk bar or some heavy metal bar now and that it lost it's popularity, but those early years when it first opened its door in Westport- it was the best place to go for live music in the summer time. A small outdoor patio filled to capacity with some better-than-average local bands. I can still remember the staff that worked there. We used to get up there for happy hour on Friday nights just to hear the Bon Ton Soul Accordian Band- they always had the funkiest New Orleans sound. Great fun, great friends, and some great times.

The Hurricane was where I first saw The Beat Farmers,a rowdy boogie/rock/country band out of El Cajon,California.Even had the opportunity to have a beer and say hey to their late leader Country Dick Montana.Their concert on the patio that night is a great memory,thanks for helping me recall it.

NewChief
04-07-2005, 07:16 AM
Chester's Place (RIP) in Fayetteville, AR. It's now some crappy college kid hangout without live music. It's played host to some legendary shows, though.

Maxine's: a classic shotgun bar in Fayetteville, AR. Home to the infamous ding-ding "bowling" game and a crusty old tavern maid that's been operating the joint forever.

JR's Lightbulb Club: a total dive, but it's played host to some great bands in Fayetteville.

The Town Pump: I believe it's world famous as "the smallest bar in the US", but I'm not sure. It's a great little dive in Ft. Collins.

Trailhead Outfitters: a true Colorado mountain bar in Ft. Collins. Classic place to go hangout and swill beer after a day of kayaking, mountain biking, or backcountry snowsports.

The Mishawaka: a great bar located right alongside the Poudre River. You've really got to see the place to believe it. The owner is a coke head freak, though. Also host to some great shows.

Colorado Feed and Grain in Timnath, CO. Cool little bar with great burgers.

Dartgod
04-07-2005, 07:18 AM
The Safe House

Haha. You know we'll never let you forget that.

Dartgod
04-07-2005, 07:19 AM
I've always wanted to open a bar/night club and call it "Bullshooters."
There is one by that nam in Lee's Summit. Surprisingly, it is a dart bar.

EDIT: I take that back. The place I'm thinking of is called Bullseye's.

Dartgod
04-07-2005, 07:30 AM
2. Backstage- Kansas City
We did every Tuesday nite and hosted Jam Nite for almost 2 years here. KILLER club.
Was that the one on Wornall, just north of 85th Street? I used to drop in there from time to time. Probably seen your band there too, if that's the same place.

NewChief
04-07-2005, 07:45 AM
A few more:

The Dragon Room in Santa Fe, New Mexico is an awesome bar that we always hang at when we're there.

The Cowgirl Hall of Fame in Santa Fe is another really cool bar there with some of the most eccentric clientel I've ever seen.

MOhillbilly
04-07-2005, 07:55 AM
Too many to list:

i was the same way but a year earlier...it was the highlife or the one next to it in spfld(now i know how old hippies feel).

SCTrojan
04-07-2005, 08:10 AM
If you're into sports memorabilia, then Chappelle's in North KC is a pretty good place to visit. Not so much a party place, but great place to get a beer and soak it all in.

Here are some others, in no particular order:

1. The Little Bar in Leavenworth. Dive, but great neighborhood place.

2. Jack Youngblood's place called Legends in Long Beach.

3. The 901 club and Julie's Trojan Barrel in LA are staples for any SC alum.

4. The Hofbrau House in Munich, especially during Oktoberfest.

5. Eskimo Joe's in Stillwater. Surprised no one has mentioned it yet.

6. Moose McGillicuddy's in Honolulu.

7. As for Lawrence, it's between Louise's and Johnny's.

The list is endless.

JamSec128
04-07-2005, 09:49 AM
The Grand Emporium sucks now, you can still go there and catch some good blues, and jazz from time to time, but it is a salsa club now..(owned by the same ppl that own Westport beach club.)

I walked into the Emporium a few weeks ago and the damn place looks like a gay club, they took down the Stevie light, all the posters, no more red beans and rice.....just sad

fav places in KC

Quaff
Charles Hoopers
BB's
Jillies
Peanut (north)

CosmicPal
04-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Charles Hoopers

That's sad to hear about the Emporium. That was such a landmark place for KC.

Oh well. We used to go to Charlie Hooper's on Wednesday nights and get sloshed playing shuffleboard. Damn near every Wednesday night.

Peanut (north)

I didn't know there was any other Peanut other than the one near the Plaza?

I've told this tale before, but years ago a buddy and I pulled an all-nighter drinking in Westport. He had an apartment on the Plaza and since I was too hammered, I crashed on his couch for a couple of hours before we both decided to go to The Peanut for some grub. It was a Sunday morning. We were just sitting there having a bloody mary when this cute gal walked in and grabbed a seat at the bar.

She looked at me and I returned a smile. Moments later, she gets up to leave and just as she was about to pass our table, she stopped and asked if I'd like to go to the Chiefs game at noon. I said, "Sure. I'd love to." She said she'd return with the tickets, and I figured it was my loss. But, a few minutes later, she indeed returned with the tickets. She then asked if I would drive. She had no idea I'd been up all night partying. I was still in the same clothes. I simply told her I didn't have a car when she responded, "OK. If I buy the beer to go then you have to drive my car."
"All right. Seems fair, since after all, you did get me a ticket to the game. "

So, CosmicAllNighter gets behind her jeep and plows through the streets of KC on his way to Arrowhead pulling back beers with this great gal with long, curly black hair. We get to our seats and I'm the only person in the stadium not wearing anything red. The Chiefs are on their 30 yd line facing what was then a weak Patriots defense. I turn to my date and say, "If the Chiefs score a TD, you have to kiss me."
Without looking at me she said, "OK."
"Hmmmm. Ok. If they don't score a TD, but kick a FG, you have to kiss me."
"OK"
"Ok. If they just get a first down, you have to kiss me."
"OK."
"Well then why don't you just kiss me, dammit."
Of course we made out like teenagers on a coffee binge.

After the game we returned to The Peanut where my buddy was still there drinking all day. He'd told everyone in the bar how I'd been up all night and was picked up by this gal. Not sure why, but I was like some minor hero to everyone. Anyways, we had a drink, and she asked if I wanted to spend the night, and of course I said, "YES"

We ended up dating for about a year. But, that was one of my favorite memories of The Peanut. Great little dive bar across from The Plaza.

NewChief
04-07-2005, 10:16 AM
More, from St. Louis:

Venice: cool little artsy dive with lots of places to get away for some private convseration. Lots of interesting folk art to look at as well.

BBs: probably my favorite late night place to go in St. Louis. Excellent sweet potato fries for a late night snack, too.

O'Connell's: I like this Irish Pub pretty well.

vailpass
04-07-2005, 10:46 AM
The Hurricane was where I first saw The Beat Farmers,a rowdy boogie/rock/country band out of El Cajon,California.Even had the opportunity to have a beer and say hey to their late leader Country Dick Montana.Their concert on the patio that night is a great memory,thanks for helping me recall it.

"He said that's my woman, I said 'that's no lie'
Then I blew a hole in him just as big as the sky
I'm the California Kid
Hope you're quite prepared to die"

Country Dick rocked, I saw the Farmers at Cabooze in Minneapolis in the early '90's. Dick was in full form, swilling Tequila straight from the bottle. He was a 6'6'' bearded monster of a man with a baritone so ridiculously deep it's almost runny.

vailpass
04-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Yep...I believe you're thinking of The Cruise Room. It was next to McCormick's. I've been there a few times before LoDo got too big for my tastes. It was fun then, and I hear it still packs 'em in.

Yes, that's it. Cruise Room. Thanks.
Ever been to Governor's Park?

vailpass
04-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Boozer and I caught a game at Tempe Diablo a couple weeks back and I mentioned stopping in there afterwards. Boozer's not big on supporting limeys, tho.

George & Dragon is cool place to just sit and imbibe many different beers although if you have an anti-limey stance it's not your place.
Ever been to The Rhythm Room (the only authentic live jazz and blues in PHX) or Chez Nous (picture "Swingers") ?
How about "Ain't Nobody's Business" :p

CosmicPal
04-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Ever been to Governor's Park?

OH yea! Used to have an apartment a block away from that place. Used to go there every Sunday for the Chiefs game and partake in their wondrous self-serve bloody mary bar. Happy hour on Friday's is always two-fer-ones. Great for happy hour.

The best thing about Gov's though- is getting a table on the patio some warm, sunny Saturday afternoon and just sit there with a buddy and watch all the beautiful women of Denver walk by. :thumb:

vailpass
04-07-2005, 11:39 AM
OH yea! Used to have an apartment a block away from that place. Used to go there every Sunday for the Chiefs game and partake in their wondrous self-serve bloody mary bar. Happy hour on Friday's is always two-fer-ones. Great for happy hour.

The best thing about Gov's though- is getting a table on the patio some warm, sunny Saturday afternoon and just sit there with a buddy and watch all the beautiful women of Denver walk by. :thumb:

True dat!
What's the biker bar in Morrison called: Little Bear? The one with all the bras and panties hanging off the walls and rafters.

CosmicPal
04-07-2005, 12:07 PM
True dat!
What's the biker bar in Morrison called: Little Bear? The one with all the bras and panties hanging off the walls and rafters.

Yea....fun place up in Evergreen, CO. I've been there a couple of times. I won't go there if I have to drive for it's quite a ways out there. But, if some other bloke is driving and isn't going to get sloshed, I'll go up there for some good times.

http://www.littlebearsaloon.com/

http://www.littlebearsaloon.com/images/Lb_2.jpg

cmh6476
04-07-2005, 12:12 PM
St Joe:

Blondie's
Rose Bud Lounge
J.T.'s (no longer in operation :( )
Susie's
Sports Car Bar

:eek:

vailpass
04-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Yea....fun place up in Evergreen, CO. I've been there a couple of times. I won't go there if I have to drive for it's quite a ways out there. But, if some other bloke is driving and isn't going to get sloshed, I'll go up there for some good times.

http://www.littlebearsaloon.com/

http://www.littlebearsaloon.com/images/Lb_2.jpg

Yeah, that's it. A dude from my home town won some lottery$ and moved his ass to Evergreen. Cool town but I heard they put a WalMart there. Is it true?

CosmicPal
04-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Yeah, that's it. A dude from my home town won some lottery$ and moved his ass to Evergreen. Cool town but I heard they put a WalMart there. Is it true?

Lucky bastard. :D

Yes, I believe much to the chagrin of the community who tried to keep it from being built- they did eventually get the Wal-Mart in there. It's a nice town with big homes that give you the best of both worlds- close proximity to a major city while living in the wilderness.

They have a public golf course there that is very reasonable and is not a bad little course. Lots of hills though. We actually stopped by Little Bear on the way home from playing the Evergreen golf course one day.

JamSec128
04-07-2005, 12:37 PM
[QUOTE=CosmicPal]That's sad to hear about the Emporium. That was such a landmark place for KC.

I didn't know there was any other Peanut other than the one near the Plaza?

Yeah there are a few Peanut's around the city now. One is just down from the Quaff ( that is north ) there is still the one close to the plazza, then there is one in Overland Park, (I think it is around 75th and Metcalf)

BoroChief
04-07-2005, 01:12 PM
I live in hell with no really good bars, just to go and hang out and most importantly Drink. My bands played a few that might be worth mentioning.

The Tremont in Charlotte, NC. Good beer prices and a great live music venue.

The Outback Lodge In Charlottesville, VA. Kinda a hole in the wall with great looking bartenders (Bra optional if you get my meaning) good liquer and beer prices, and live music pretty much nightly.

The Factory 324 in Roanoke, VA. Was a good place for metal bands to play with the clientele consisting mostly of 18-30 yrs olds. I think someone bought this place and I don't know what's there now.

Other than that I can't think of many more. As I said I live in HELL.

Nzoner
04-07-2005, 07:36 PM
St Joe:

Blondie's
Rose Bud Lounge
J.T.'s (no longer in operation :( )
Susie's
Sports Car Bar

:eek:

I now know the reason we've never crossed paths.

NewChief
04-07-2005, 08:11 PM
I haven't been to any of those joints. Extra emphasis on the last one.

I think I've asked you this before, End, but have you ever been to that place outside of Phoenix where they keep the live rattlesnakes in cages and cut off the ties of anyone that wears one in the restaurant, then staple the ties to the walls? It's about 30 minutes outside of town, in the middle of nowhere. It's a BBQ joint, I think. Kind of cheezy, but we enjoyed ourselves out there one night, watching the sun set and then staring at the sky while a country band played on the outside stage.

vailpass
04-08-2005, 05:55 PM
I haven't been to any of those joints. Extra emphasis on the last one.

Chez Nous is one of the few places in all of PHX with personality. I reccomend it the next time you feel like checking out something different. Don't let the location (7th ave & Indian School) scare you, that's where the flava' is.

http://www.cheznouscentral.com/index.shtml

CosmicPal
04-08-2005, 06:27 PM
Well, I have to go to ESPN Zone tonight for this bachelor party....what a crock. I think I'll have to make things a lot more interesting for the guys tonight... :hmmm:

HemiEd
04-08-2005, 08:04 PM
cut off the ties of anyone that wears one.

The owner of White's auto supply in Olathe used to do that to any of us reps that wore one when we came in.

Rocky
04-08-2005, 08:07 PM
The graduate!!!, nothing is better than watching naked girls shake while eating dinner knawmean!!!

BigOlChiefsfan
04-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Since I quit smoking I quit going to bars. I can drink without smoking...I just can't drink in bars without smoking. Go figure.

Anyhoo, the Bon Ton Soul Accordian band made almost any bar a fun bar in the good old days. The Hurricane was always a blast when they were playing but back before that, they used to play Sat. afternoons in 'The New Stanley' -across Westport Road from Kellys- because the accordian player's wife was the chef there. Jeez, that lady could cook. She got her own bar later, Kiki's Bon Ton Maison out west on Westport road. Excellent food, and fun times when they pushed the tables back and the Bon Ton band would played on Wednesday nights. This musta been 15 years ago. There were a lot of ladies who followed that band around from bar to bar. And I followed those ladies. They left a trail of broken beer bottles and cast-off high heel shoes. Couldn't miss 'em.

Kiki's Bon Ton has changed hands, it's another neighborhood Irish pub now. Kiki made enough money and retired, last I heard. Good on her.

The Grand Emporium lost it's soul when George Myers (part-owner) died, lo, these many years ago. George was a great guy, his partner Roger Nabers...well, George was a great guy. Those posters that used to be on their walls? I drew a few of 'em, way back when, for free admission and the occasional free drink.

You boys can have my share of the fun these days. Here's to old times and bad women instead of bad times and old women.