View Full Version : Teicher: Black in line to help O-line

tk13
04-07-2005, 01:38 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/11328904.htm

In line to help O-line
Black gets chance at a starting role

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

There comes a time in every player's NFL career when he finally feels he belongs.

The magic moment for offensive lineman Jordan Black came in a December game against the Raiders. Black had played on a limited basis in his two seasons with the Chiefs, but there was some doubt about whether he would ever amount to much.

On that day at the Oakland Coliseum, Black was thrown into the lineup because of an injury to guard Will Shields. Black not only blocked Warren Sapp on a succession of plays, but he remained in one piece and helped clear Sapp from halfback Larry Johnson's path.

“I've been watching NFL players on TV my whole life,” Black said. “All of a sudden I was out there, and it is overwhelming at first. It does take a little while to get used to it all.

“After a couple of plays, it was like: I can do this. You just get rolling. You get in for a few plays, and you settle down.”

Later, after injuries knocked out John Welbourn and Chris Bober, the Chiefs moved Black to right tackle, where he started the season's last four games. He played well enough that the Chiefs felt comfortable moving Welbourn to guard and putting Black first in line to be the permanent starter at right tackle.

That list also includes Kevin Sampson, another young lineman who the Chiefs think will someday become a starter. Black will get first shot because of the way he played in December.

“That was a real confidence booster for us and for him,” coach Dick Vermeil said. “He did about as well as we could expect him to do. He's not there yet, but he's a real solid prospect.”

Black joined the Chiefs as their fifth-round draft pick in 2003 but didn't play as a rookie. At the time, his path to the lineup looked as if it might be blocked for years.

The Chiefs then had a solid starting line consisting of Shields, Willie Roaf, Casey Wiegmann, Brian Waters and John Tait. Tait left last year as a free agent, and the Chiefs acquired two veterans, Welbourn and Bober.

It was only after the injuries to Welbourn and Bober that the Chiefs were able to learn what they had in Black. Black learned much, too.

“It's a total blessing that I got those games in,” Black said. “Under normal circumstances — if I hadn't played, and they would be giving me this shot — I would have a whole lot more anxiety than I do now. There's nothing like playing in games against really good players. I won't say I'm completely confident or free of anxiety, but I feel prepared.

“There are certain moments when you go back and watch yourself on film and you see yourself do something good and you say to yourself: ‘That really is me out there.' It makes you feel good about what you're doing. I'm not going to say by any means it was all perfect, because it was far from that. But there were enough good things out there for me to build on.”

Black is what the Chiefs look for in an offensive lineman: a good athlete who can run and lead for the open-field plays that offensive coordinator Al Saunders prefers. Those qualities might someday make him the successor to Roaf at left tackle.

“He has the skills to play there,” Vermeil said. “He's enough of an athlete. He just has to be able to put it all together. I don't know if he can be Willie Roaf. It's hard to be an explosive, 320-pound guy when you're not (naturally) 320 pounds.”

el borracho
04-07-2005, 03:06 AM
<sigh> Maybe Welbourne will prove to be very valuable but I wish we had tried Black, Williams and Sampson before making the trade.

dave0320
04-07-2005, 05:49 AM
I hope Black gos out and has a great year for us. We syre can use his help.

tiptap
04-07-2005, 06:40 AM
<sigh> Maybe Welbourne will prove to be very valuable but I wish we had tried Black, Williams and Sampson before making the trade.

I've relayed this information before but it is worth mentioning again. In the 2003 season the Chiefs split runs to the left outside tackle inbetween tackle and to the right outside of tackle evenly 33%, 33% and 33%. In the 2004 season the runs to the right dropped to 17% halfed. The slack was taken up with runs to the middle and some more to the left. With the the strength on the left side and the ability to overpower on that side our running game didn't suffer in production but it did suffer in options.
This year we will be seeing even more 3-4 alignments. The double tight end sets that allows us to still get to the outside with our running game will become even more important as we try to make the 3 down lineman run more than they would like to in a game early so to wear them down for later. But if we only run to the left that tendency will be expected by defenses.
In getting Wilson into the game and new presentations at WR than last year we will need all our options in the running games. RT play has got to return to a level that is on par with the 2003 season. This is the biggest concern for the offense this season.

Kylo Ren
04-07-2005, 07:44 AM
I've relayed this information before but it is worth mentioning again. In the 2003 season the Chiefs split runs to the left outside tackle inbetween tackle and to the right outside of tackle evenly 33%, 33% and 33%. In the 2004 season the runs to the right dropped to 17% halfed. The slack was taken up with runs to the middle and some more to the left. With the the strength on the left side and the ability to overpower on that side our running game didn't suffer in production but it did suffer in options.
This year we will be seeing even more 3-4 alignments. The double tight end sets that allows us to still get to the outside with our running game will become even more important as we try to make the 3 down lineman run more than they would like to in a game early so to wear them down for later. But if we only run to the left that tendency will be expected by defenses.
In getting Wilson into the game and new presentations at WR than last year we will need all our options in the running games. RT play has got to return to a level that is on par with the 2003 season. This is the biggest concern for the offense this season. Thanks coach! :thumb:

el borracho
04-07-2005, 12:33 PM
In getting Wilson into the game and new presentations at WR than last year we will need all our options in the running games. RT play has got to return to a level that is on par with the 2003 season. This is the biggest concern for the offense this season.
Soooooo.... you also wish we had tried Black, Williams and Sampson before making the trade for Welbourne? Or you are very glad we have Welbourne?

Kylo Ren
04-07-2005, 12:34 PM
I'm glad we've got them all. We've got a great O-line and great depth and good potential for another great O-line in the future.

BigChiefFan
04-07-2005, 01:44 PM
The Chiefs were thinking ahead a few years ago when they signed Black and Williams, then Sampson more recently. Glad to hear Black is getting a hold of the RT job.

go bo
04-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Maybe Welbourne will prove to be very valuable but I wish we had tried Black, Williams and Sampson before making the trade.who's williams?

seriously, has he ever played in a game?

you never hear him mentioned by dickie or the star twerps...

Iowanian
04-07-2005, 02:47 PM
Brett Williams is an OT, I think out of Florida State that the Chiefs drafted 2 years ago....the same draft as Black.

royr17
04-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Brett Williams hasnt panned out like expected too, whats happened there ???

Iowanian
04-07-2005, 02:58 PM
chiefs8me if you read this I want kcchiefsman to give you a baby.

ct
04-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Both Williams and Black were Tackles, but Black was more projected as a Guard. They were 5th and 6th round picks I think, so the fact that either of them are even mentioned as worthy of starting for this team is an achievement. Sampson was a draft pick last year I believe, so we didn't even have him when we traded for Welbourne.

And by the way, with the whole Shields retirement rumor, is nobody but me still fine with the Welbourne trade? This is THE guy if Will decides to hang it up, and he'll do just fine. Does nobody else see that?

Iowanian
04-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Sampson was last years 7th round pick.]

Welbourne was disappointing as a RT, but he's a pretty punishing Guard. He's great Depth, or a legit starter if Shields retires.(he won't..he's just skipping training..and this fan thinks that is fine)

tyton75
04-07-2005, 03:23 PM
as I understand it.. Sampson is HUGE.... and fleet of foot considering his size.

I think his whole problem is technique and footwork.. but probably a good value in the 7th round.

in a perfect world.. when Roaf retires. you can plug in Black at LT and Sampson at RT..

Cormac
04-07-2005, 04:11 PM
And by the way, with the whole Shields retirement rumor, is nobody but me still fine with the Welbourne trade? This is THE guy if Will decides to hang it up, and he'll do just fine. Does nobody else see that?

I still think Welbourn was great value for the pick. He was everybody's fav new toy last year, when DV was talking about how mean he is. Then he struggled cos of the knee, and now it seems like most fans are down on him. He'll bounce back, and now we have the luxury of moving him back to OG because of the emergence of Black and maybe even Sampson. In the last 2 seasons, the Chiefs FO have done what looks like a great job retooling the O-line for the future. Bober, Welbourn, Black and Sampson might all end up starting in a few years. At least now we have bodies in place that seem to have potential. Only Brett Williams has disappointed. A few years ago we had retreads like Willie Jones, Ian Allen, Jonathan Ingram and Don Willis as our backups. Willis did well for us, but he was never going to be a dependable starter. We're in much better shape now for next season, and beyond.

Cormac
04-07-2005, 04:11 PM
.....if Shields retires.(he won't..he's just skipping training..and this fan thinks that is fine)

Exactly. He did this a few years ago, when he was supposedly in a "contract dispute".