PDA

View Full Version : Darryl Blackstock Draft Diary from Foxsports.com

nmt1
04-07-2005, 10:03 AM
Sorry if this is a repost. Pretty cool stuff though. Being a big Virginia homer, I'd love to have Blackstock on the Chiefs.

DRAFT DIARIES: My work's not done yet
Darryl Blackstock, Virginia LB
After the Combine and my Pro Day, I had another chance to work out for a team. Mike Pettine, the Ravens' outside linebackers coach, came to the University of Virginia on Thursday (March 31) to watch me run a few pass coverage drills. I think I did quite well.
The whole thing lasted about an hour and a half. I performed outside on turf, and I worked exclusively on pass coverage drills. I still have some work to do in that area, but I know that I changed direction well and showed pretty good hands. I know that I've improved my pass coverage skills since the Combine. Two of my Virginia teammates, strong safety Marquis Weeks and linebacker Dennis Haley, also ran some drills.

This was my first visit with a team outside of the Combine or my Pro Day, but it won't be the last. I have pre-draft meetings in Miami (April 6) and Kansas City (April 12). Those teams will fly me out to their facilities. I don't plan to do many drills because I think I will be there mainly just to talk to coaches and other front-office people.

I've also talked to the Bengals and the Browns on the phone. The Bengals wanted to tell me that I did well at the Combine, and the Browns wanted me to allow them to do a background check. I don't know exactly how interested some of these teams are or what they want exactly, but I think my stock is pretty high right now.

I'm looking forward to wearing any NFL jersey, but the three teams that have called for a meeting all have some real upside. In Miami, I would get to start from scratch, just like everybody else in that organization. I think I could really make a difference there.

Baltimore would give me the opportunity to learn from one of the best. Ray Lewis would be a great leader and teacher for anyone, let alone someone just starting out. I would love to be able to say that I play for one of the strongest defenses in the league.

I'm real excited about Kansas City, though. That would feel like a dream come true because I've been a Chiefs fan for years. But it's a dream coming true just to play in the pros.

Source (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3520346)

htismaqe
04-07-2005, 10:16 AM
I really hope we're not counting on Blackstock at OLB.

He may be a player but we'd STILL have a need at WSLB...

|Zach|
04-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Is this the guy who Roy said was gonna be the next Derrick Thomas? Or was that someone else...

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 10:18 AM
"Sorry if this is a repost. Pretty cool stuff though. Being a big Virginia homer"

You're also a big Chiefs homer.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 10:24 AM
I didn't know he was such a big Chiefs fan.

Heck, Gaz is a big Chiefs fan, the Chiefs should sign him to play CB. There wouldn't be much dropoff in talent between Gaz, Bartee, and Dyson so why not?

CosmicPal
04-07-2005, 10:24 AM
I'm real excited about Kansas City, though. That would feel like a dream come true because I've been a Chiefs fan for years. But it's a dream coming true just to play in the pros.

You can't go wrong with a player who WANTS to be here. I've heard some good things about him, but I doubt we get him for he'll be gone before the second round is over and the Chiefs may not have a second rounder to get him. But, if he should still be available in the second round, and the Chiefs snatched a CB in the first- I wouldn't mind them picking him up, particularly if he WANTS to be here.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 10:28 AM
You can't go wrong with a player who WANTS to be here. I've heard some good things about him, but I doubt we get him for he'll be gone before the second round is over and the Chiefs may not have a second rounder to get him. But, if he should still be available in the second round, and the Chiefs snatched a CB in the first- I wouldn't mind them picking him up, particularly if he WANTS to be here.

Yeah, I think so too. I mean, heck, DV's "profile" calls for #1-good character, #2-wants to play here, and #3-good character.

Oh, a talented football player is somewhere on that list, but not until you get to the very bottom. Just ask Eric Hicks, and basically the whole defense.

CosmicPal
04-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I think so too. I mean, heck, DV's "profile" calls for #1-good character, #2-wants to play here, and #3-good character.

Oh, a talented football player is somewhere on that list, but not until you get to the very bottom. Just ask Eric Hicks, and basically the whole defense.

I know you're being sarcastic SE, but the fact is- this has absolutely nothing to do with DV. It has everything to do with the fact he's a Chiefs fan and wants to play for one of his favorite teams. It doesn't matter who's coaching- he just wants to play for his favorite team.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 10:33 AM
I know you're being sarcastic SE, but the fact is- this has absolutely nothing to do with DV. It has everything to do with the fact he's a Chiefs fan and wants to play for one of his favorite teams. It doesn't matter who's coaching- he just wants to play for his favorite team.

Has he had any speeding tickets? Because if not, he will be a Chief, count on it.

htismaqe
04-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Has he had any speeding tickets? Because if not, he will be a Chief, count on it.

Dude, maybe you should get away from the football for a bit.

You're turning into a HUGE dick...

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 10:40 AM
Does anyone know him on this site?

Someone needs to email him and tell him that it's best that he doesn't wear sleeves at his workout with the Chiefs, that kind of increases the chances of the Chiefs drafting him. But not a lot, since "he" is not the head coach...anymore...

ChiTown
04-07-2005, 10:40 AM

I sure wish Key Fox would step up and be a player at WILL..............

nmt1
04-07-2005, 10:42 AM

I would hope the Chiefs are expecting any of our draftees this year to come in and start week one. If we are, then we're in worse shape on defense than I thought.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Dude, maybe you should get away from the football for a bit.

You're turning into a HUGE dick...

ROFL

Oh I'm just playing around.

And FWIW, the profile stuff is lame. I understand not wanting malcontents on your team, but if they are super stars, then I say that's fine. Super stars deserve to get treated differently. They are the ones working harder than everyone else, so they should get cut some slack, and they do.

I'm just tired of having mediocre teams in my hometown. God love em'. ROFL

nmt1
04-07-2005, 10:44 AM
You're also a big Chiefs homer.

I'm not a homer, I'm on the payroll. Get it straight.

Mark M
Is this the guy who Roy said was gonna be the next Derrick Thomas? Or was that someone else...

According to royr17, Blackstock = Thomas and Allen = Smith.

A bit of a stretch, to be sure.

MM
~~:)

Chiefs Pantalones
I'm not a homer, I'm on the payroll. Get it straight.

ROFL

Glad someone has a sense of humor. :thumb:

nmt1
04-07-2005, 10:45 AM
ROFL

And FWIW, the profile stuff is lame. I understand not wanting malcontents on your team, but if they are super stars, then I say that's fine. Super stars deserve to get treated differently. They are the ones working harder than everyone else, so they should get cut some slack, and they do.

When you run you're own team, you can bring in all the thug superstars you want.

HC_Chief
Super stars deserve to get treated differently.

aka the "Jimmy Johnson" philosophy: treat the super stars like super stars, and everyone else like garbage.

nmt1
According to royr17, Blackstock = Thomas and Allen = Smith.

A bit of a stretch, to be sure.

MM
~~:)

Blackstock does = Thomas in the sense that he's a one dimensional player.

htismaqe
04-07-2005, 10:47 AM
I sure wish Key Fox would step up and be a player at WILL..............

Me too. If we don't solve the Will problem in FA, Fox may be our only hope...because outside of Johnson, there isn't a Will in this draft that isn't a carbon copy of Fox IMO...

htismaqe
04-07-2005, 10:49 AM
ROFL

I was going to tell you that I think you've been especially bitter and venomous lately, but then it hit me...

This conversation has happened before.

Not to veer off into outer space and hijack the thread, but have you guys ever had that happen before? I mean VIVID, DETAILED deja vu?

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 10:49 AM
When you run you're own team, you can bring in all the thug superstars you want.

Would you rather have a couple 3 or 4 thugs on your team and actually WIN SUPER BOWLS, or have a bunch of nobodies like the Chiefs and be a crappy organization and not have won anything for 30 + years?

Remember, it's about winning titles. Not about social groupings, and not about the bottom line, like it is for the Chiefs it seems.

nmt1
04-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Would you rather have a couple 3 or 4 thugs on your team and actually WIN SUPER BOWLS, or have a bunch of nobodies like the Chiefs and be a crappy organization and not have won anything for 30 + years?

Remember, it's about winning titles. Not about social groupings, and not about the bottom line, like it is for the Chiefs it seems.

Having 3-4 thug superstars on your team is not a guaranteed Superbowl win and I'd rather not have someone on the team like Randy Moss or Terrell Owens. Those guys are grade A jackasses.
I suspect some will always think the Chiefs are a crappy organization regardless of the number of Superbowl or playoff wins.
Actually, it is about the bottom line. One of the best ways to increase that bottom line is to win Superbowls, which is why that's the goal of every team regardless of what it's fans might think.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Well, they do a lot of talking, but don't do a lot of walking. They just need to clean house. Get a fresh start. When something isn't working, and hasn't worked for 16 years, it's time to let it go. It's a joke. It's a nightmare, lol. There is nothing I can do about though, and no matter what, I will always be a fan of the Chiefs, but until they win a Super Bowl, Lamar can kiss my ass.

nmt1
04-07-2005, 10:58 AM
INot to veer off into outer space and hijack the thread, but have you guys ever had that happen before? I mean VIVID, DETAILED deja vu?

Yep, I usually have it about once a month, sometimes more. It's freaky to say the least.
In one of my numerous psychology classes in college we actually studied the phenomenon and there was a credible explanation for it having to do with brain chemicals and synapses and other junk. Can't remember exactly what it was but seems to me like it was a condition in which you get the feeling of having been somewhere or done something before.

Mark M
04-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Super stars deserve to get treated differently. They are the ones working harder than everyone else, so they should get cut some slack, and they do.

Randy Moss is a "superstar." Do you honestly believe that he works harder than everyone else?

MM
~~:hmmm:

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Randy Moss is a "superstar." Do you honestly believe that he works harder than everyone else?

MM

Well, he has God-given talent, like all the other NFL players do, but he just has a little more, like the rest of the all-stars do. He works hard, but I agree that he doesn't work that hard. It's actually amazing that he can go out Saturday night, club it up, and go play a heck of a game. Football is who he is. Like Priest. Like Peyton. Not all the stars have the same work ethic, but they are doing something right, no matter what they do off the field. They get it done.

King_Chief_Fan
04-07-2005, 11:03 AM

MM

IF Randy is a superstar, and I say IF........does he need to work harder than anyone else?

nmt1
04-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Well, they do a lot of talking, but don't do a lot of walking. They just need to clean house. Get a fresh start. When something isn't working, and hasn't worked for 16 years, it's time to let it go. It's a joke. It's a nightmare, lol. There is nothing I can do about though, and no matter what, I will always be a fan of the Chiefs, but until they win a Super Bowl, Lamar can kiss my ass.

I guess the difference between a fan like you and a fan like me is that I don't believe the Chiefs are out to deceive me at every turn. I don't think they're in the business of trying to fool people. I think they're in the business of winning NFL games and haven't done a good job of it lately. I'm not into speculating on what's in Peterson's or Vermiel's minds when they do and say the things they do and say. I truly think they try to do the best they can with the resources they're given. If that makes me a homer or on crack or on the payroll, so be it.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 11:06 AM
IF Randy is a superstar, and I say IF........does he need to work harder than anyone else?

He IS a superstar. Dude is one of the best WRs in the league, like him or not. I don't like him, but he's one of the best. IIRC, he's on pace to break most of Rice's records, if he stays healthy and out of the weed.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 11:11 AM
I guess the difference between a fan like you and a fan like me is that I don't believe the Chiefs are out to deceive me at every turn. I don't think they're in the business of trying to fool people. I think they're in the business of winning NFL games and haven't done a good job of it lately. I'm not into speculating on what's in Peterson's or Vermiel's minds when they do and say the things they do and say. I truly think they try to do the best they can with the resources they're given. If that makes me a homer or on crack or on the payroll, so be it.

No Super Bowl victories=no success. They haven't been successful for 30 years. Although, about 20 other teams (more, but I don't want to count) haven't succeeded either. But that doesn't make it alright. The suspense, the anticipation, makes it worth the while.

And if my high standards of no Super Bowl victories=no success makes me not a true fan, then guilty as charged. I want success in everything I'm involved in, even the teams I'm a fan of...I don't like mediocre anything, and I won't accept it.

htismaqe
04-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Yep, I usually have it about once a month, sometimes more. It's freaky to say the least.
In one of my numerous psychology classes in college we actually studied the phenomenon and there was a credible explanation for it having to do with brain chemicals and synapses and other junk. Can't remember exactly what it was but seems to me like it was a condition in which you get the feeling of having been somewhere or done something before.

This ain't a "feeling".

It's 100% the same, down to the individual words on the page. I've read this thread before.

htismaqe
04-07-2005, 11:13 AM
He IS a superstar. Dude is one of the best WRs in the league, like him or not. I don't like him, but he's one of the best. IIRC, he's on pace to break most of Rice's records, if he stays healthy and out of the weed.

How many Super Bowls has he won, considering the following?

No Super Bowl victories=no success. They haven't been successful for 30 years. Although, about 20 other teams (more, but I don't want to count) haven't succeeded either. But that doesn't make it alright. The suspense, the anticipation, makes it worth the while.

And if my high standards of no Super Bowl victories=no success makes me not a true fan, then guilty as charged. I want success in everything I'm involved in, even the teams I'm a fan of...I don't like mediocre anything, and I won't accept it.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 11:15 AM

We need players like that to get to where we want to go; to be successful.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 11:19 AM

The success I'm mainly talking about is team success, since the sport we are on here for is about teams, but superstars help your teams win Super Bowls, or at least increase the chances. We don't have good coaches like the Pats, so we need super star players.

htismaqe
04-07-2005, 11:20 AM
We need players like that to get to where we want to go; to be successful.

I don't agree.

It's interesting that you compared Moss to Rice though.

Because there's 2 things separating the two and I believe they are related:

Championships and work ethic.

ct
04-07-2005, 11:27 AM

This is exactly the guy I want in the 2nd, assuming we get CB in round 1 and we still have that 2nd.

Surtain for 4th and 3rd next year

1st Rogers
2nd Blackstock
3rd Savoy
plenty of 2nd day picks to move back into the 4th if we choose.

nmt1
04-07-2005, 11:30 AM
This ain't a "feeling".

It's 100% the same, down to the individual words on the page. I've read this thread before.

I know there was a thread with an earlier draft diary from Blackstock on here a week or so ago. I can guaratee you that I've never typed any of this before though.

htismaqe
04-07-2005, 11:31 AM
The problems I have with Blackstock are:

1) Our biggest need right now is weakside. We have guys on our roster that can play Sam, including Kendrell Bell. Sam IS a need, but not nearly the need that Will is. Hell, if we're that desperate, we could start Fujita.

2) Blackstock isn't a true Sam. He's a rush-end who's been playing in a 3-4. He's a one-dimensional player, who may or may not be a phenomenal sack artist. But we NEED someone who can contribute more than just on 3rd-and-long. Because he may be talented, but unless he can bring some game-changing something to the field (like DT) then he'll just end up like Gary Stills.

htismaqe
04-07-2005, 11:33 AM
I know there was a thread with an earlier draft diary from Blackstock on here a week or so ago. I can guaratee you that I've never typed any of this before though.

Yeah, see that's what I'm talking about.

I know we've had this "conversation" before.

But I'm saying, I've read these EXACT WORDS before.

****ing weird, to say the least. I've had this happen maybe a dozen times in my life.

nmt1
04-07-2005, 11:35 AM

With your standards that high, you must realize that you're more likely to be disappointed than satisfied every season. I came to that realization a long time ago and decided not to have any standards for the Chiefs. I decided I would enjoy the Chiefs whether they win or lose, draft one guy or another, or sign this or that free agent. I have no control over it so there's no use letting it ruin my day.
The only kind of fan I consider not to be a true fan is one who follows whatever team might be winning at that point in time. I don't believe there are many of those on this website.

nmt1
04-07-2005, 11:36 AM
The problems I have with Blackstock are:

1) Our biggest need right now is weakside. We have guys on our roster that can play Sam, including Kendrell Bell. Sam IS a need, but not nearly the need that Will is. Hell, if we're that desperate, we could start Fujita.

2) Blackstock isn't a true Sam. He's a rush-end who's been playing in a 3-4. He's a one-dimensional player, who may or may not be a phenomenal sack artist. But we NEED someone who can contribute more than just on 3rd-and-long. Because he may be talented, but unless he can bring some game-changing something to the field (like DT) then he'll just end up like Gary Stills.

You're missing the big picture. We don't want to draft for need, we want to draft a guy that could end up being a playmaker.

nmt1
04-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Yeah, see that's what I'm talking about.

I know we've had this "conversation" before.

But I'm saying, I've read these EXACT WORDS before.

****ing weird, to say the least. I've had this happen maybe a dozen times in my life.

Look at it this way, you had to read the words first in order to "remember" that you had read them before.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 12:08 PM
With your standards that high, you must realize that you're more likely to be disappointed than satisfied every season. I came to that realization a long time ago and decided not to have any standards for the Chiefs. I decided I would enjoy the Chiefs whether they win or lose, draft one guy or another, or sign this or that free agent. I have no control over it so there's no use letting it ruin my day.
The only kind of fan I consider not to be a true fan is one who follows whatever team might be winning at that point in time. I don't believe there are many of those on this website.

I'm the same way, believe it or not. I just rant from time to time about it. I just learned not to get too caught up in it and to just let the chips fall where they may because there is nothing I can do about it. I get upset over it, and rant, but I know I can't do anything about it. So why do I rant then? Well, what else is this site for? lol;)

We are on the same page more than you think, actually.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 12:09 PM
We are on the same page more than you think, actually.

I just bitch more. ROFL

BoroChief
04-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Blackstock is a Monster and just by drafting him we'll be adding depth and a very talented playmaker. Will he be the next DT? only time will tell. I've watched this man's career at UVA personally and I can say he is a great LB disrupting the run and causing havoc in the backfield. I think he can and will make an impact for whatever team drafts him. Most importantly I think he's the type of player who would flourish in Gunther's D plans.

royr17
04-07-2005, 12:56 PM
Daryl Blackstock has the tools to be another DT, and as for Jared Allen he has already surpassed what Neil Smith did his rookie year.

nmt1
04-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Daryl Blackstock has the tools to be another DT...

How do you know this? Have you ever even seen him play?

...and as for Jared Allen he has already surpassed what Neil Smith did his rookie year.

Allen has a long way to go before he'll be in the same league as Neil Smith. Lets hope he ends up being better.

royr17
04-07-2005, 01:34 PM
How do you know this? Have you ever even seen him play?

Allen has a long way to go before he'll be in the same league as Neil Smith. Lets hope he ends up being better.

Im just sayin from what i read, Blackstock sounds similar to DT and the way Allen looked last year, he looked like the real deal, now could you imagine if the the Chiefs started Alle on RE, Blackstock ROLB, and Hall LE how much pass rush they could get.

I mean come on jeez.

htismaqe
04-07-2005, 02:53 PM
You're missing the big picture. We don't want to draft for need, we want to draft a guy that could end up being a playmaker.

Gonna be hard for him to be a playmaker if he's sitting on the bench.

This team has BIG HOLES in the defense. We really can't afford a "specialist".

shaneo69
04-07-2005, 03:41 PM
If we draft Blackstock, we better be switching to a 3-4.

Not a bad idea, really. Sign Sharper, and you have your two ILB's who have both played ILB in 3-4's. Keep Fujita on the strongside, and draft Blackstock to be the rushbacker. Dump Sims and make Siavii your NT. Only problem would be, Browning is your only true 3-4 DE.

philfree
04-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Blackstock is a Monster and just by drafting him we'll be adding depth and a very talented playmaker. Will he be the next DT? only time will tell. I've watched this man's career at UVA personally and I can say he is a great LB disrupting the run and causing havoc in the backfield. I think he can and will make an impact for whatever team drafts him. Most importantly I think he's the type of player who would flourish in Gunther's D plans.

I've seen him compared to LT and he was more then just a pass rush specialist. Even if we still have our 2nd Blackstock won't last that long. Cool to see that he's a Chiefs fan and I would imagine that a player like him would be able to feed off the fans like DT used to do. I have to admit that even though the D has sucked the fans haven't given up and it would be nice to have a D player who would feed off that and reward the fans with timely big plays.

PhilFree :arrow: