PDA

View Full Version : now THIS would be a fun draft!!

Mr. Laz
04-08-2005, 10:14 AM
heh... a draft with several trade possibilities

2005 DRAFT THREE-ROUND PROJECTION
April 8, 2005
* indicates underclassman
Red indicates proposed trade

First round

1 San Francisco *Aaron Rodgers QB California
49ers would dearly love to trade down, however, aren't likely to find any takers.. Rodgers isn't necessarily the top prosepct on the board, but gives SF the best chance of finding a starter from day one at the position

2 Miami Ronnie Brown RB Auburn
Like the 49ers, the Dolphins want to trade down, but also aren't likely to find a dance partner...Brown is the anti-Ricky; a tough runner who will show up; he's also a terrific receiver

3 Minnesota (from Cleveland) Braylon Edwards WR Michigan
Vikes need to find a replacement for the departed Randy Moss, but could actually miss out on the big three WRs if they stay at #7... Browns will get shot at same players at #3 or 7

4 Tampa Bay (from Chicago) *Mike Williams WR Southern California
Bears and Bucs do the hokey pokey that ensures both teams get the guy they want...Bucs' Jon Gruden has made no secret about how much he likes SC's Williams a 'freakish playmaker'

5 Chicago (from Tampa Bay) Cedric Benson RB Texas
Benson isn't a burner and brings some character issues top the table; however, he's the type of back you can give the ball to 25-30 times a game and forget it

6 San Diego (from Tennessee) *Troy Williamson WR South Carolina
Chargers need a big-play WR to complete picture in team revival and won't get one of the top three down at #12...4.3 40 time at combine got the other SC's Williamson rocketing up value board's around the NFL

7 Cleveland (from Oakland thru Minnesota) *Shawn Merriman LB Maryland
QB Alex Smith could also factor in for Browns at #3 or #7, but Merriman gives defensive guru Romeo Crennel disruptive edge rusher to rebuild defense around

8 Arizona *Alex Smith QB Utah
Kurt Warner is a decent stop-gap measure, but surely Dennis Green won't pass on his good fortune if a potential franchise type QB like Smith falls in lap; RB Carnell Williams or one of the CBs will be tempting tough

9 Washington *Adam Jones CB West Virginia
Jones will be perfect tonic for Redskins to repair secondary which has lost outstanding cover corners Champ Bailey and Fred Smoot this past couple of years

10 Detroit Derrick Johnson LB Texas
Lions are sitting pretty at #10 and should get a look at a number of quality prospects who can come in and help risimg franchise... OT Alex Barron, TE Heath Miller or one of the top remaining CBs would also be in the mix,... Johnson will combine with Boss Bailey and Teddy Lehman to give Lions one of most athletic LB trios in NFL

11 Kansas City (from Dallas) Antel Rolle CB Miami
Kansas City needs help big-time at corner and hope to acquire either Patrick Surtain in trade with Dolphins or by signing injured vet Ty Law; for now, though, a move up to get Rolle, a tough, physical cover corner might be good Plan B

12 Tennessee (from NY Giants thru San Diego) Alex Barron OT Florida St.
Titans need replacement for venearble Brad Hopkins whose been around since high tops; move down makes sense because Barron would be a reach at #6; CB Rogers good fall back if Barron goes to Detroit or Dallas

13 Houston Carnell Williams RB Auburn
Texans looking at CB and pass rush help, but real feature back like Williams may be just too hard to pass up.

14 Carolina Matt Jones WR Arkansas
Somebody is going to jump on Jones early; why not the Panthers who lost Mushin Muhmmad to free agency

15 Dallas (from Kansas City) Demarcus Ware OLB Troy State
New Parcells' 3-4 defense needs explosive edge rusher in Lawrence Taylor mold to really work; Ware is raw but has super quick first step

16 New Orleans Carlos Rogers CB Auburn
Defense, defense, defense is key in Saints' draft plans; DT Travis Johnson would be fcator here too

17 Cincinnati Erasmus James DE Wisconsin
Improved pass rush is Bengals main goal at 2005 draft and Badgers' James is one of the best despite lack of pure footspeed

18 Minnesota David Pollack DE Georgia
Pollack isn't necessarily everyone's cup of tea, but he'll be a nice fit on a team where DT firm of Williams and Williams will occupy so much attention

19 Philadelphi (from St. Louis) Luis Castillo DT Northwestern
Eagles always move up so why not this year when they have a passel of extra picks; jump in ahead of divison rival Cowboys to take one of draft's rising stars
20 Dallas (from Buffalo) Shaun Cody DE Southern California
DT/DE tweener will be nice fit as 3-4 DE

21 Jacksonville *Justin Miller CB Clemson
Speedy Miller, who also returns kicks, addresses team's biggest need for solid cover corner; OU WR Mark Clayotn could also be in mix

22 Baltimore Travis Johnson DT Florida State
Bit of baggage drops rugged DT down a couple of spots; nice personal protector for Ray Lewis in new 4-3 defense

23 Cleveland (from Seattle) Charlie Frye QB Akron Browns use some of the profit from earlier Vikings' deal to jump ahead of Packers to get QB of the future; the fact that Frye is a local kid should also help to keep the dawg pound in check for a while

24 Indianapolis (from Green Bay) Marcus Spears DE LSU
Colts looking for complimentary DE with size to take some of the heat off Dwight Freeney

25 Denver *Fabian Washington CB Nebraska
DL help (hopefully) came from Cleveland; Huskers supply speed at corner

26 New York Jets Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma
Clayton should go much higher, but today he didn't; nice target for QB Chad Pennington who can make things happen after he catches the ball

27 Atlanta Khalif Barnes OT Washington
A little personal protection for company VIP Vick

28 San Diego *Justin Tuck DE Notre Dame
Maybe more of a 4-3 type DE, but Tuck brings pass rush potential Charger defense desperately needs

29 Green Bay (from Indianapolis) Matt Roth DE Iowa
With Charlie Frye off the board, Packers look to add a piece to D puzzle to give Brett one more run at a title

30 Pittsburgh *Heath Miller TE
Virginia Another player who probably will go much higher but just didn't; nice underneath target for young QB Ben Roethlisberger

31 St. Louis (from Philadelphia) Dan Cody DE Okalhoma
Has some questions, but should make decent complimentary pass rush to support Leonard Little

32 New England Reggie Brown WR Georgia
Patriot type WR; not flashy, but quick smart and steady

Summary of projected trades:
(1) Minnesota sends Cleveland the 7th pick overall, originally acquired from Oakland, plus 2nd, 4th and 6th round picks for the 3rd pick
(2) Tampa Bay gives Chicago a #3 pick in 2006 to flip 4th and 5th picks
(3) San Diego gives Tennessee the 12th pick overall, plus 2nd and 4th round picks in 2005 and a #3 in 2006 for the 6th pick
(4) Kansas City gives Dallas the 15th pick in 2005 and a #2 pick in 2006 for the 11th pick
(5) Philadelphia gives St. Louis the 31st pick, plus 2nd, 4th and 6th roundes for the 19th pick
(6) Cleveland gives Seattle the 34th pick in 2004 plus the second acquired from Minnesota for the 23rd pick
(7) indianapolis gives Green Bay the 29th pick plus a second rounder for the 24th pick

Second round

33 San Francisco Roddy White WR Alabama-Birmingham
34 Seattle (from Cleveland) *Channing Crowder LB Florida
35 Philadelphia (from Miami) *Odell Thurman RB Georgia
36 Tampa Bay *Ciatrick Fason RB Florida
37 Tennessee Marlin Jackson CB Michigan
38 Oakland Corey Webster CB LSU
39 Chicago Jammal Brown OT Oklahoma
40 New Orleans (from Washington) Atiyyah Ellison DT Missouri
41 Detroit Alex Smith TE Stanford
42 Dallas Marcus Johnson OG Mississippi
43 New York Giants *Thomas Davis FS Georgia
44 Arizona Eric Green CB Virginia Tech
45 Carolina David Baas OG Michigan
46 Kansas City Kevin Burnett LB Tennessee
47 Houston Daryl Blackstock LB Virginia
48 Cincinnati Barrett Ruud LB Nebraska
49 Seattle (from Minnesota thru Cleveland) Chris Canty DE Virginia
50 St. Louis Elton Brown OG Virginia
51 Green Bay (from New Orleans) *Brodney Pool Fs Oklahoma
52 Jacksonville *Jovan Haye DE Vanderbilt
53 Baltimore *Chris Spencer C Mississippi
54 Seattle Mike Patterson DT Southern California
55 Buffalo Anttaj Hawthorne DT Wisconsin
56 Denver Jonathan Babineaux DT Iowa
57 New York Jets *Brandon Browner CB Oregon State
58 Green Bay Bryant McFadden CB Florida State
59 Atlanta *C. J. Moseley DT Missouri
60 Green Bay (from Indianapolis) Adam Seward LB UNLV
61 Tennessee (from San Diego) *Chris Henry WR West Virginia
62 Pittsburgh Chris Kemoeatu OG Utah
63 St. Louis (from Philadelphia) Stanley Wilson CB Stanford
64 New England Alfred Fincher LB UConn

Third round

99(c) Kansas City Kyle Orton QB Purdue

beavis
04-08-2005, 10:17 AM
99(c) Kansas City Kyle Orton QB Purdue
Ya know, I've seen this enough times that I'm actually beginning to believe it has a chance of happening.

Brock
04-08-2005, 10:19 AM
If they could move up for next year's second, that would be great.

shakesthecat
04-08-2005, 10:19 AM
Thanks for losing the lime green.

I'm not sure I like losing next years 2nd for Rolle.

Orton in the 3rd huh? Interesting.

siberian khatru
04-08-2005, 10:21 AM
I don't see the need to trade up, surrendering picks, to get Rolle. I like Rolle, but I don't think he's the must-have CB that forces you to sacrifice picks. About the only guy I could see us doing that for would be Johnson. There's lots of quality CBs in the draft, but very, very few OLBs -- and none like Johnson.

Mr. Laz
04-08-2005, 10:22 AM
Thanks for losing the lime green
ya... when i first saw it, i thought i had scarred my retinas :shake:

Hydrae
04-08-2005, 10:24 AM
I don't see the need to trade up, surrendering picks, to get Rolle. I like Rolle, but I don't think he's the must-have CB that forces you to sacrifice picks. About the only guy I could see us doing that for would be Johnson. There's lots of quality CBs in the draft, but very, very few OLBs -- and none like Johnson.

But to get Johnson we would need to get higher than #11. I agree with this mock in that there is no way DJ makes it past Detroit at #10.

siberian khatru
04-08-2005, 10:28 AM
But to get Johnson we would need to get higher than #11. I agree with this mock in that there is no way DJ makes it past Detroit at #10.

Right. I'm not saying we SHOULD trade up for Johnson, or that I think he'd even be within reach like this mock says. I'm simply saying that he's the ONLY guy worth trading up for, that a good CB should fall to us at 15, or even better, we could trade down, pick up another 2 or 3, and still get a good CB in the 20s.

Hydrae
04-08-2005, 11:03 AM
Right. I'm not saying we SHOULD trade up for Johnson, or that I think he'd even be within reach like this mock says. I'm simply saying that he's the ONLY guy worth trading up for, that a good CB should fall to us at 15, or even better, we could trade down, pick up another 2 or 3, and still get a good CB in the 20s.

Nothing I can argue with in that post. :thumb:

TEX
04-08-2005, 11:08 AM
If that's the plan than the CHIEFS better sign another Free Agent LB.

whoman69
04-08-2005, 11:11 AM
I think its next to impossible to predict what teams will be able to move up and down on draft day. The only true way to do a mock is to predict whom everyone would take based upon their position in the draft going in.

Mr. Laz
04-08-2005, 11:11 AM
If that's the plan than the CHIEFS better sign another Free Agent LB.

then you expect the chiefs to draft a linebacker in the first round?

Dave Lane
04-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Don't like trading up for Rolle. Take whoever is there at 15 for CB. I'd like a trade up for DJ if he was sitting there though.

Dave

TEX
04-08-2005, 11:17 AM
then you expect the chiefs to draft a linebacker in the first round?

No. If they don't get a veteran CB, then they need to add a veteran LB who can play. Especially since they're so thin at the position. Thet really still need 2 CB's and another LB... :hmmm:

Frankie
04-08-2005, 11:22 AM
Laz, I thought you wanted Carlos Rogers and Eric Green in the first tywo rounds. I'd prefer Rogers at 15 to Rolle at 11 if it means we'll lose a 2nd rounder (even a 06 one). But taking Burnett in the 2nd, I'll like.

Mr. Laz
04-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Laz, I thought you wanted Carlos Rogers and Eric Green in the first tywo rounds. I'd prefer Rogers at 15 to Rolle at 11 if it means we'll lose a 2nd rounder (even a 06 one). But taking Burnett in the 2nd, I'll like.

i didn't write this mock, just thought it was fun

it's a copy and paste from GBN

htismaqe
04-08-2005, 11:54 AM
I sincerely hope the Chiefs don't do that.

First, they give up picks to get Rolle when we could have stayed put and got Rogers.

Then they draft Kevin Burnett, who looks more and more to me like a Key Fox clone, instead of giving the pick to Miami for Surtain.

And to top it all off, they draft Orton. :Lin:

Lono
04-08-2005, 12:29 PM
rufusmaqe who would you rather take in the 3rd round?

In 2004 Purdue had the #4 passing offense. Orton had the 10th best passing efficiency at 151.12. He played in 10 games averaging right at 300 yrds a game. (minus the Ohio State he only made 8 passes and Iowa game which he didnt play.) He threw 31 td's to 5 Int's. I think for a 3rd round pick i would gladly take him.

htismaqe
04-08-2005, 12:36 PM
rufusmaqe who would you rather take in the 3rd round?

In 2004 Purdue had the #4 passing offense. Orton had the 10th best passing efficiency at 151.12. He played in 10 games averaging right at 300 yrds a game. (minus the Ohio State he only made 8 passes and Iowa game which he didnt play.) He threw 31 td's to 5 Int's. I think for a 3rd round pick i would gladly take him.

I'd rather have Andrew Walter if we had to take a QB. I'd most like a WR.

As for Orton, Purdue has ranked in the top 10 in passing virtually every year since Joe Tiller arrived. Even with guys like Arena Ball star Billy Dicken. I've watched Orton play for going on 8 years between SE Polk HS and Purdue - he's not NFL material.

ChiefsCountry
04-08-2005, 12:42 PM
We need to hit the Titans up for a chance to get Johnson IMO.

Spicy McHaggis
04-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Geez when did Williamson become a #6 overall? Talk about a guy who has made some jumps in the offseason.

Eleazar
04-08-2005, 12:57 PM
I'd rather we went after Derrick Johnson if we were going to trade up. But, if they are writing off Pat Surtain, then I guess we need to do something like that.

Spicy McHaggis
04-08-2005, 01:00 PM
We need to hit the Titans up for a chance to get Johnson IMO.

I agree, I mean our Front Offices have to be good buddies now, right?

ChiefsCountry
04-08-2005, 03:36 PM
I agree, I mean our Front Offices have to be good buddies now, right?

Well there is past connections, when we traded up to get Gonzo it was with the Oilers. Plus Lamar and Bud Adams go back to the AFL.

mrbiggz
04-08-2005, 03:38 PM
I dont like this. we need the number two to get WR Matt Jones from Arkansas

ChiefsCountry
04-08-2005, 03:41 PM
I dont like this. we need the number two to get WR Matt Jones from Arkansas

Jones has shot into the first round.

milkman
04-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Jones has shot into the first round.

There is no way in hell I'd trade up to get Rolle.
I'd rather trade down and take Jackson and get another 2nd rounder, who of course would be Daryl Blackstock.

But there isn't any reason to trade up to get a CB when one will be there for the picking if we do stay at 15.