PDA

View Full Version : Jets fielding offers for Abraham

Mr. Laz
04-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/297737p-254912c.html

Jets fielding offers for Abraham

BY RICH CIMINI
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Locked in a contract dispute with John Abraham - an impasse that shows signs of turning ugly - the Jets are willing to listen to trade offers for their star pass rusher, an NFL source told the Daily News yesterday.
This represents a shift for the Jets. A few days after the season, GM Terry Bradway said, "John is going to be here." But the landscape has changed.

Abraham, slapped with the "franchise" tag, is believed to be seeking about $20 million in guarantees and he recently expressed frustration through his agents about the lack of progress in negotiations. He's not participating in the Jets' offseason program, which began Monday. The Jets aren't actively shopping Abraham, the source said, but the difference between "shopping" and "listening" can be a matter of semantics. Abraham's status will add intrigue to the draft, which begins April 23.

Abraham, 26, is a three-time Pro Bowl selection, but his lack of durability is a concern. According to Abraham's camp, the Jets never made an offer before March 16, when a four-month negotiating blackout between teams and their franchise players went into effect.

The Jets, perhaps wary of a long-term commitment, seem intent on having Abraham play next season on a one-year contract for the amount of his franchise tender ($6.7million) - unless they're blown away by a trade offer.

One of Abraham's agents, Rich Rosa, said he wasn't surprised to hear the Jets are being open-minded to the prospect of a trade. "They're just conducting business," said Rosa, adding that Abraham's preference is to remain with the Jets. "They'd be foolish not to see what's out there. Hey, maybe they could get what they want (by acquiring extra picks) and John could go to a place that would give him a long-term contract. We have no problem with them sending out feelers. Frankly, we're doing the same."

Rosa said there has been "minimal" contact with other teams. The Jets don't comment on trade speculation.

For a trade to happen, Abraham would have to work out a long-term contract with a team, and that team would have to satisfy the Jets' compensation demands. They almost certainly would insist on a first-round pick in return.

The most likely suitors are the Cowboys and Vikings. Both need an outside pass rusher, both have two first-round picks, both have about $9 million in salary-cap room and both have former Jets coaches - Dallas coach Bill Parcells and Minnesota defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell. The Cowboys have two prime bargaining chips (the 11th and 20th picks), although owner Jerry Jones said this week that he's more apt to stockpile picks instead of trading them away. The Vikings own the seventh and 18th selections.

It's not known whether the Jets have received any formal offers. While other franchise players have signed their one-year tenders, Abraham has balked, maintaining his free-agent status. Without a contract, he's not permitted to participate in the offseason program. According to his agents, Abraham is at home in South Carolina, working out with a trainer.

You can e-mail the Daily News sports department at
sportsforum@edit.nydailynews.com

Originally published on April 8, 2005

Spicy McHaggis
04-08-2005, 12:43 PM
If we paid Abraham that'd pretty much be it for the Patrick Surtain deal. Not that I don't want Abraham. The Vikings would have a formidable line if they pulled this off with Udeze, Kevin Williams, Pat Williams and Abraham.

ct
04-08-2005, 12:45 PM
It's too bad we don't have enough to offer, cause I'd be all for Abraham in RnG!!

BigChiefFan
04-08-2005, 12:45 PM
I wanted Abraham as a Chief early on, but I think we are better served getting Surtain and a rookie DE.

Lzen
04-08-2005, 12:56 PM
I would like Abraham as a Chief. But not for 20 million in guaranteed money. Not for a guy with durability issues.

Chiefnj
04-08-2005, 01:00 PM
He's not the toughest guy. It was rumored he sat out at the end of the year and playoffs more because he was entering free agency rather than not being able to play.

htismaqe
04-08-2005, 01:11 PM
He's not the toughest guy. It was rumored he sat out at the end of the year and playoffs more because he was entering free agency rather than not being able to play.

I thought he actually confirmed the rumor by coming out and saying that he wouldn't play because he didn't want to jeopardize his free agent plans?

At any rate, get Surtain first and then see...

Gravedigger
04-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Do I sense another person going to Rosenhaus to get money???

the Talking Can
04-08-2005, 01:41 PM
I would like Abraham as a Chief. But not for 20 million in guaranteed money. Not for a guy with durability issues.

amen...I bash the Chiefs for being tightwads but that would be dumb...

Nightfyre
04-08-2005, 02:20 PM
Im all about Howard.

Mile High Mania
04-08-2005, 02:24 PM
Wonder if the Jets would trade him straight up for Putzier... they had a hard on for Jeb earlier.

ChiefsCountry
04-08-2005, 02:54 PM
Watch the Redskins trade for him.

htismaqe
04-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Wonder if the Jets would trade him straight up for Putzier... they had a hard on for Jeb earlier.

Nice one, Taco. :thumb:

Piper
04-08-2005, 02:57 PM
I thought he actually confirmed the rumor by coming out and saying that he wouldn't play because he didn't want to jeopardize his free agent plans?

At any rate, get Surtain first and then see...

Jet fan here. That was exactly right. He was cleared to play in the playoffs by the team medical staff but came out with the statement that he had to consider other issues when deciding whether to to play.

He also predicted a Steeler victory before the Jets played them.

BigChiefFan
04-08-2005, 03:45 PM
His asking price plus the picks is way too high to consider. He's a damn good player, but not worth that kind of jack. We've gotten all of the players in the off-season for less than what that greedy punk wants. No thanks, looks like he's a JET at that asking price. Good luck finding a suitor.

dave0320
04-08-2005, 03:52 PM
This guy could be a cancer and plunty of T R O U B L E !. Plus he has never played all 16 games, duriability issue. Doubt he could last out on a long term contract.

ChiefsCountry
04-08-2005, 03:56 PM
This guy could be a cancer and plunty of T R O U B L E !. Plus he has never played all 16 games, duriability issue. Doubt he could last out on a long term contract.

Sounds like a future Raider.

BigChiefFan
04-08-2005, 04:00 PM
Jets DE Abraham working out on his own

NFL.com wire reports

NEW YORK (April 8, 2005) -- As the New York Jets opened their offseason program this week, one major player was notably absent.

Pro Bowl defensive end John Abraham didn't sign his tender as the Jets' franchise player, so he isn't allowed to participate in the team's program at its complex in Hempstead. Instead, Abraham was working out on his own, biding his time to see whether he would start 2005 with the Jets or another team.

"John's exploring the rights he has as a player, from a business standpoint he'd be foolish not to," said one of his agents, Rich Rosa. "He anticipates he'll be back with his teammates eventually. At this point he's going to continue to work within the system he is in."

Abraham expressed his frustrations with the organization when negotiations on a long-term contract broke down. He allowed the March 16 deadline for franchise players to sign their offers pass, keeping his free-agent status, and must wait until July to begin more talks.

Though Abraham wants to return and the Jets want him back, there is always the possibility of a trade if the price is right. Though that seems unlikely, Rosa said he wouldn't fault the Jets for listening to offers for their prized player.

"The Jets wouldn't be doing the right thing if they didn't," Rosa said. "If they have, that is good business. If you can get the right package, you can make a move. What the right package is I don't know. Any good organization is going to do that type of thinking."

Abraham has struggled to stay healthy throughout his five-year career, which might be one of the reasons why the Jets are hesitant to make a long-term commitment. He missed the final four regular-season games and two playoff games last season after spraining his right knee, but Rosa said Abraham is now 100 percent.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Rocky
04-08-2005, 05:20 PM
The raiders also put c-woodson in for aberham the jets have talked to oakland about it to bolth of them swapping for one another. The jets need a corner bad and the raiders are switching to 4-3 sp they need some one on the other side of buress.

Sure-Oz
04-08-2005, 05:33 PM
I'd rather have Surtain.

Rocky
04-08-2005, 07:05 PM
In no way is surtain even amongst the top shut down corners in the league. #1 Ty law #2 ricky manning #3 Dre bly #4Rhonde barber #5 charles woodson #6 chump bailey #7sam madison.

Hammock Parties
04-08-2005, 07:07 PM
In no way is surtain even amongst the top shut down corners in the league. #1 Ty law #2 ricky manning #3 Dre bly #4Rhonde barber #5 charles woodson #6 chump bailey #7sam madison.

Ricky Manning? Dre Bly? Ronde Barber? CHARLES WOODSON? ROFL

Ty Law and Chump I will give you. Madison USED to be a shutdown corner.

Here's your top five:

Ty Law
Champ Bailey
Chris McCalister
Patrick Surtain
Fred Smoot

Rocky
04-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Go chefs obviously does not know what he is talking about.

beer bacon
04-08-2005, 07:11 PM

Totally dude. Anyone that does not have Ricky Manning in their top five CBs should be barred from all football discussion.

Hammock Parties
04-08-2005, 07:13 PM

Rocky's a noob that requires a neg rep smackdown.

Rocky
04-08-2005, 07:14 PM
Thank you!!!!

Rocky
04-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Hey shut your mouth damn flamer!!!

Hammock Parties
04-08-2005, 07:16 PM
Hey shut your mouth damn flamer!!!

Owned! ROFL

Rocky
04-08-2005, 07:23 PM
what do you mean by that how about I jab you in the mouth so you can shut the f**k up.

Hammock Parties
04-08-2005, 07:24 PM
what do you mean by that how about I jab you in the mouth so you can shut the f**k up.

OK, go for it.

Rocky
04-08-2005, 07:27 PM
I will Go for it and knock your teeth out is that what you were going to say I know your scared poon.

Mile High Mania
04-08-2005, 07:28 PM
Girl fight ... girl fight.

Hammock Parties
04-08-2005, 07:30 PM
I will Go for it and knock your teeth out is that what you were going to say I know your scared poon.

Oh noooo! I just wet myself! Please don't hurt me mister big bad internet scary person!

tk13
04-08-2005, 07:32 PM
Girl fight ... girl fight.
What? I didn't see you arguing with anybody...

:p

Hammock Parties
04-08-2005, 07:38 PM
What? I didn't see you arguing with anybody...

:p

HEEEEEEEEEEERE HE COMES TO SAVE THE DAY!

AND HE WILL PROVE THAT DONK FANS WILL ALWAYS PAY!

SO LET THE SPINNERS SIT AND SPIIIIIN!

FOR TK13 IS HERE TO STAAAAAAAY!

tk13
04-08-2005, 07:39 PM
HEEEEEEEEEEERE HE COMES TO SAVE THE DAY!

AND HE WILL PROVE THAT DONK FANS WILL ALWAYS PAY!

SO LET THE SPINNERS SIT AND SPIIIIIN!

FOR TK13 IS HERE TO STAAAAAAAY!
Okay. Don't ever do that again or I'll have to knock your teeth out.

Bowser
04-08-2005, 07:45 PM

Ohh boy..........

Hammock Parties
04-08-2005, 07:50 PM
Okay. Don't ever do that again or I'll have to knock your teeth out.

tk13
04-08-2005, 07:53 PM
Okay godork, I laughed . ROFL

Rocky
04-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Yo, its over with he sad his stuff now I will be the bigger person and say, its not like we are really goiong to fight this is an internet discussion,if we was to see each other on the street it would be diffrent but no!!! so lets stop before it gets out of control.

Hammock Parties
04-08-2005, 08:08 PM
Yo, its over with he sad his stuff now I will be the bigger person and say, its not like we are really goiong to fight this is an internet discussion,if we was to see each other on the street it would be diffrent but no!!! so lets stop before it gets out of control.

My God, how could I have been such an asshole.