PDA

View Full Version : Just a got ticket

Pants
04-08-2005, 05:25 PM
OK, so I was giving my friend a ride... I'm on this hill trying to make a left turn (downhill) and there are cars coming up so I decide to speed up a little and make the turn quicker and, inadvertantly, my tires squeel a little. This is on campus (school zone, 20 mph) and I'm pretty damn sure I'm not speeding, still the pig parked down the hill pulls me over. (My friend is in my car telling me I wasn't speeding and I won't be getting a ticket, there's no way, blah blah)

So the pig comes up to me and tells me he clocked me at 39mph (I'm like WTF???!), so I politely tell him, "Officer I don't think I was going 39", he then asks me how fast I thought I was going (at this point I'm dumbfounded and blur out 30, even though in my head I was thinking the absolute MAX was 30).

He goes back to his car, checks the shit for like 10 minutes (my friend is still assuring me I won't be getting a ticket, since this is such BS) and eventually comes back and tells me he'll put me down for 30mph in a school zone but won't double the fine. I'm thinking to myself, "didn't he CLOCK me at 39?" Anyway, that's pretty much it, I have a ticket for $72 and I was wondering what you guys thought of the situation and whether I could get out of this in any way.

My friend tells me that I can go to court and the cop won't be there (because a. the guy was a tool and b. he doesn't give shit) so I won't have to pay shit. Please help me!

Bob Dole
04-08-2005, 05:29 PM
At this point, it would seem to be a lot easier and a lot less stressful to just fork over the $72.

There used to be talk that you could question whether the spped gun had been properly calibrated since it's previous lock, etc., but Bob Dole always figured that was an urban legend. A lawyer is going to cost you a lot more than the $72 ticket...

Pants
04-08-2005, 05:31 PM
At this point, it would seem to be a lot easier and a lot less stressful to just fork over the $72.

There used to be talk that you could question whether the spped gun had been properly calibrated since it's previous lock, etc., but Bob Dole always figured that was an urban legend. A lawyer is going to cost you a lot more than the $72 ticket...

Yeah, but won't I have to double it so the f*cking insurance bastards won't find out?

Bob Dole
04-08-2005, 05:35 PM
Yeah, but won't I have to double it so the f*cking insurance bastards won't find out?

Don't know about the insurance issue. Bob Dole has never had his rates raised due to tickets. (And Bob Dole had quite a few back in the day...)

Does your state not have a defensive driving school program that will make the ticket disappear?

Rain Man
04-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Since you've obviously missed your chance to get away in a high-speed chase, I would recommend just paying the $72.

I've only had a couple of tickets, but they've never affected my insurance. I think that the system of transferring the information is poor unless you voluntarily tell your insurance company.

Pants
04-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the help, people. I just re-read my post, and I'd like to apologize for the god-awful writing, I was pissed and rambling.

Phobia
04-08-2005, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the help, people. I just re-read my post, and I'd like to apologize for the god-awful writing, I was pissed and rambling.

Don't apologize for the writing, apologize for telling the cop what he should write the ticket for.... Wow - you aren't very bright, are you?

Simplex3
04-08-2005, 06:01 PM
I always double down. My insurance company is convinced I can't park worth a piss.

You can go to court and hope he doesn't show, but odds are he will.

Just call up the prosecuter and see what kind of deal you can make.

The worst experience I've ever had with a ticket was in Iowa. The actualy fine was cheap, but pleading it down cost a fortune. The prosecuter was one of the 4 lawyers in the county and she insisted I hire a lawyer to plead it down. Well, of the 3 remaining one was the judge, one was on sebaticle. Guess who screwed me on the fees? Then she also demands that I make a donation to either the library or the fire dept. A $45 ticket wound up costing me over $200 to fix. Dumb broad.

Pants
04-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Don't apologize for the writing, apologize for telling the cop what he should write the ticket for.... Wow - you aren't very bright, are you?

I know dude, I'm f*cking retarded. I don't know why I said 30, but after he said 39, 30 sounded pretty good, lol. F*ck, I'm an IDIOT!!

Spokane Chief Fan
04-08-2005, 06:06 PM
Here in Washington state you just check a box on the back of the ticket that says mitigate. Mail it in and they usually cut the ticket in about half

Rain Man
04-08-2005, 06:07 PM
The worst experience I've ever had with a ticket was in Iowa. The actualy fine was cheap, but pleading it down cost a fortune. The prosecuter was one of the 4 lawyers in the county and she insisted I hire a lawyer to plead it down. Well, of the 3 remaining one was the judge, one was on sebaticle. Guess who screwed me on the fees? Then she also demands that I make a donation to either the library or the fire dept. A $45 ticket wound up costing me over $200 to fix. Dumb broad.

She may be a dumb broad, but it looks like she managed to outsmart at least one person.

Demonpenz
04-08-2005, 06:09 PM
it might effect your insurance because you haven't driven that long. Or what might happen is if you get some more tickets your insurance won't go down too much when you turn 25

Simplex3
04-08-2005, 06:10 PM
She may be a dumb broad, but it looks like she managed to outsmart at least one person.
The insurance increase would have cost me that much in a single year. Besides, it wasn't her that outsmarted me, it was the HiPo.

Bwana
04-08-2005, 06:41 PM
Things Not to say to a cop:

1. Man, I have no idea how fast I was going'!
2. Can you hand me your gun?
3. Care for a doughnut?
4. Whatever you do, don't search my trunk.
5. What exactly is "legally drunk"?
6. So, what's a good bribe go for around here?
7. I hope you realize you're about to ruin a perfect record.
8. Okay, so I was speeding and I let you catch me - how about best of three?
9. If I were you I'd let me go!
10. Met your quota? Happy now?
11. I want your badge number and your superior officer's name right now!
12. You should give the ticket to my damn unreliable cruise control.
13. Speeding is an abstract concept, don't you think?
14. If I had known you were there I would never have been going that fast!
15. When you get pulled over, say "What's wrong, ossifer, there's no blood in my alcohol?"
16. When he asks why you were speeding, tell him you wanted to race.
17. When he talks to you, pretend you are deaf.
18. If he asks if you knew how fast you were going, say no, my speedometer only goes to...
19. Touch him.
20. When he asks why you were speeding, tell him you had to buy a hat.
21. Ask him where he bought his cool hat.
22. Refer to him by his first name.
23. Pretend you are gay and ask him out.
24. When he says no, cry.
25. If he says yes, accuse him of sexual harassment.
27. Hey is that a 9mm? That's nothing compared to this .44 magnum.
28. When you smack the crap outta me, make sure you smile pretty for the video camcorder.
29. Is it true that people become policemen because they are too dumb to work at McDonalds?

Frosty
04-08-2005, 07:25 PM
Here in Washington state you just check a box on the back of the ticket that says mitigate. Mail it in and they usually cut the ticket in about half

Hey Spokane Chiefs Fan, I have to say Spokane County sucks.

I got my one and only speeding ticket last year there.

In this neck of the woods, when the thaws start, they put load restrictions on a lot of the back county roads. This drops the speeds down to 25 or 30 mph. In the county I live in (Stevens), load restrictions only apply to large trucks.

Last spring, I'm heading down to Spokane and I cut over on a back road to pick up a different highway. I'm driving along at the normal speed limit (45) and I get pulled over. WTF?

The cop starts in on how this road has restrictions and that the speed limit is 25. I didn't see the sign and would have ignored it anyway because I thought it applied to big rigs. He says the roads are like glass :rolleyes: and everyone has to obey the restrictions in this county. He then says that he can't cut me a break because it's a special emphasis patrol (read: revenue enhancement).

So I get a ticket for $100, I can't fight it because, technically, I was wrong and now I have a "16 - 20 mph over" conviction on my record (which was spotless). Again, Spokane County sucks. :cuss:

Spott
04-08-2005, 07:41 PM
Typical b.s. cop story. I f*cking hate cops, every last one of them can go eat a dick.

:cuss:

Bob Dole
04-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Bob Dole has fought two tickets in court, and managed to "win" both of them, though they still made Bob Dole pay court costs and some bullshit admin fee. Both were in MO. The first was a speeding ticket and much like this one, was a matter of principal. The second was a "careless and imprudent" and would have resulted in a suspended license.

If your record is fairly clean up to now, either pay the thing or take a defensive driving course that will make the ticket vanish. (In Texas, you can take the damned DD course online...) It's really not worth the hassle to fight the thing.

Pants
04-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Bob Dole has fought two tickets in court, and managed to "win" both of them, though they still made Bob Dole pay court costs and some bullshit admin fee. Both were in MO. The first was a speeding ticket and much like this one, was a matter of principal. The second was a "careless and imprudent" and would have resulted in a suspended license.

If your record is fairly clean up to now, either pay the thing or take a defensive driving course that will make the ticket vanish. (In Texas, you can take the damned DD course online...) It's really not worth the hassle to fight the thing.

Thanks, Bob Dole. I'll be looking into that. I've had 1 speeding ticket besides that one (this year as well) and that one was legit (going 47 in a 30, lol). That makes 2 tickets during my 4.5 years of driving.

Bob Dole
04-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Thanks, Bob Dole. I'll be looking into that. I've had 1 speeding ticket besides that one (this year as well) and that one was legit (going 47 in a 30, lol). That makes 2 tickets during my 4.5 years of driving.

Check out http://www.drivinguniversity.com/course-info/kansas-traffic-school-and-defensive-driving-online.htm#6

Pants
04-08-2005, 08:55 PM
I think I'm going to punish myself and not go out tonight. My will power is extremely weak, however.

Bob Dole
04-08-2005, 08:55 PM
I got one of those one day when a tree jumped out in front of my truck.

Bob Dole's was the result of having the baffle out of the V&H header on the bike and some overzealous cop chasing Bob Dole down based solely on the sound.

(And Bob Dole having a passenger at 11pm...and Bob Dole not having a little "M" on his license.)

Still got out of it because the doofus had to admit that he never saw an infraction.

Monty
04-08-2005, 09:35 PM
I think I'm going to punish myself and not go out tonight. My will power is extremely weak, however.

If you do go out, go to Yello Sub and have a California Club for me. I've been jonesing for one of those for awhile. Either that or a Super Shuttle minus the jalepenos. :) I love good bbq, but there was nothing like wolfing down a SS in front of the tube while the Chiefs were playing. :thumb:

Bwana
04-08-2005, 09:43 PM
I got one of those one day when a tree jumped out in front of my truck.
The last one I got was several years and involved firearms, deer and a farmers daughter. :shake: The only evening I have ever spent behind bars may I ad.

Chan93lx50
04-08-2005, 09:51 PM
Just a got ticket! funny how you people talk in MO

In Iowa we say Just got a ticket!

Sorry I had too!

Fire Me Boy!
04-08-2005, 09:57 PM
Next time they tell you they clocked you at a speed you don't think you were going, ask to see the radar gun. I don't know about the issues surrounding whether or not the radar gun was calibrated within 24 hours, but I know they're required by law to show you the clocked speed if you ask for it. Now, I would suggest ONLY doing this if you know you're going to get a ticket anyway. If you question them before you know you're getting a ticket, you can count on that ticket.

Monty
04-08-2005, 09:58 PM
Just a got ticket! funny how you people talk in MO

In Iowa we say Just got a ticket!

Sorry I had too!

Cue the geography lesson in 3......2......1......

Skip Towne
04-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Was the cop wearing mirror sunglasses? When I see that I always use them to comb my hair. That really pisses them off.

Pants
04-08-2005, 10:23 PM
Was the cop wearing mirror sunglasses? When I see that I always use them to comb my hair. That really pisses them off.

What hair?

JK, the cop was clearly a tool. He tried to act nice, like he's doing me a favor and shit. He was one of those nerdy-looking ones.

Skip Towne
04-08-2005, 10:26 PM
What hair?

JK, the cop was clearly a tool. He tried to act nice, like he's doing me a favor and shit. He was one of those nerdy-looking ones.
I'll bet my hair is longer than yours is dude. My last haircut was last July. No gray either.

Iowanian
04-08-2005, 10:27 PM
I know you think you got FUgged...But let me tell you.....Based on my afternoon dealing with the Cops, it wasn't even foreplay.

Around 3, I'm working away in my hovel, and the phone rings...
(riiiiiing.........riiiiiiiiing)
"hello, this is Iowanian"
"uh Iowanian, you need to go outside, pronto...the car next to your truck is on FIYAH!"
[exit building stage left]
WHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOF! (porch Honkey car..definitely on FiYah)
[Iowanian spins in phone booth, puts on superhero cape....jumps in truck and back it to safe location across the street]

Excitement ensues......Fire extinguished with incorrect extinguisher......Every Bluelighter races to location, starsky and Hutching across hoods to get smoke on Shiney new helmets

Cop:"Iowanian, You're going to want to look at your truck...definite fire damage on passenger side...fire was engulfing your truck for a minute"

Iowanian and cop investigate....Definite discoloration on fender, hood, door, cab post....but even more interesting.....the back half of the box looks like some small children have taken a hammer to it..dings, chips to the metal, scapes.

Naturally, Persons who caught car on fire, and had been working between vehicles have "no idea where that came from ,but they didn't do it"

At least the fuggin Meth-heads futhermuckers are not the owners of said car, but at least the owner is UnInsured.

Cop says he'll be kind enough to forward said Crankhead(uninsured)'s information so Iowanian can try to collect damages (yeah fargin right).

At least Iowanian's insurance says they'll pay, however if they can't collect(and won't because the dumfugs are uninsured and Nomad Crankfeinds)....It will have to count as a claim....and btw...remember that you increased your deductible to Cinco-El Hundo.

Yeah....Iowanian gets to take at least a $500 hit in the Can(dry) because some dumbass poured some of his meth-ether into a sparking automobile or something.

Dag Nabbit!

Pants
04-08-2005, 10:30 PM
I'll bet my hair is longer than yours is dude. My last haircut was last July. No gray either.

I know Skip, I said I was kidding.

And yeah, Iowanian, that f*cking blows chunks. But at least you're not a broke ass student.

Bwana
04-08-2005, 10:33 PM
I know you think you got FUgged...But let me tell you.....Based on my afternoon dealing with the Cops, it wasn't even foreplay.

Around 3, I'm working away in my hovel, and the phone rings...
(riiiiiing.........riiiiiiiiing)
"hello, this is Iowanian"
"uh Iowanian, you need to go outside, pronto...the car next to your truck is on FIYAH!"
[exit building stage left]
WHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOF! (porch Honkey car..definitely on FiYah)
[Iowanian spins in phone booth, puts on superhero cape....jumps in truck and back it to safe location across the street]

Excitement ensues......Fire extinguished with incorrect extinguisher......Every Bluelighter races to location, starsky and Hutching across hoods to get smoke on Shiney new helmets

Cop:"Iowanian, You're going to want to look at your truck...definite fire damage on passenger side...fire was engulfing your truck for a minute"

Iowanian and cop investigate....Definite discoloration on fender, hood, door, cab post....but even more interesting.....the back half of the box looks like some small children have taken a hammer to it..dings, chips to the metal, scapes.

Naturally, Persons who caught car on fire, and had been working between vehicles have "no idea where that came from ,but they didn't do it"

At least the fuggin Meth-heads futhermuckers are not the owners of said car, but at least the owner is UnInsured.

Cop says he'll be kind enough to forward said Crankhead(uninsured)'s information so Iowanian can try to collect damages (yeah fargin right).

At least Iowanian's insurance says they'll pay, however if they can't collect(and won't because the dumfugs are uninsured and Nomad Crankfeinds)....It will have to count as a claim....and btw...remember that you increased your deductible to Cinco-El Hundo.

Yeah....Iowanian gets to take at least a $500 hit in the Can(dry) because some dumbass poured some of his meth-ether into a sparking automobile or something.

Dag Nabbit!

Ouch! :shake:

Iowanian
04-08-2005, 10:34 PM
No...I'm not a Broke-ass student........However, I just bought a new house and have other impending significant expenses that make this timing about as good as say......well....some time thats really not good.

You can sell plasma twice and pay your ticket.

Iowanian
04-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Ouch! :shake:

I shit you not.....The guy must have been Taco's Step Brother.

Imagine Hacksaw Jim Dugan, wild dirty hair, wooly beard......Only hacksaw has had a meth habbit for a decade......big overalls, No shirt, no shoes........Bronco's cap.

eh, I guess in the big picture, its not the end of the world........But for a split second, when I heard there was no insurance, UncivilizedOwanian about came out.