PDA

View Full Version : How would you feel about this first round pick?

Brock
04-09-2005, 09:11 AM
First off, let me preface this by "assuming we have Surtain in the bag".

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/don_banks/04/08/bq.mcpherson/index.html

1. Which quarterback will be the closest thing to a Ben Roethlisberger in the 2005 draft?

Given that no one even knew Ben Roethlisberger would turn into a Ben Roethlisberger at this time last year, it's pure conjecture to try and identify the next big thing on the young-quarterback front. And let's not forget that Roethlisberger wound up redefining the standard for rookie quarterback performance with his mind-boggling 15 consecutive victories for the 16-2 Steelers. Alas, we may never see the likes of him again.

But if we had to tab one rookie passer as the most likely candidate to make a sizable impact in 2005, our choice might surprise you. It's not Cal's Aaron Rodgers or Utah's Alex Smith, who figure to be the first two quarterbacks to come off the board in two weeks, possibly in the opening three picks.

It's former Florida State product Adrian McPherson, whose exceptional workouts this spring have been generating real buzz among league personnel types. McPherson will be 22 in early May, and he has one clear-cut advantage over his fellow rookie quarterbacks: He already is a professional, having hung up cartoonish numbers playing for the Arena Football League's Indiana Firebirds in 2004.

Despite not being activated until the third game of the season, McPherson won the AFL's rookie of the year honor, throwing for 2,965 yards, with 56 touchdowns and just five (yep, five) interceptions in 14 games. He also rushed for 18 touchdowns and 257 yards on just 59 carries, proving what phenomenal athletic gifts he possesses.

McPherson, of course, has precious little college experience, having seen starting action for only part of the 2002 season at Florida State. He was kicked out of school by the Seminoles late that year after being arrested for stealing and cashing a blank check, and later also was hit with charges that he gambled on pro and college football games. But from all indications, McPherson has matured, paid for his mistakes, and is ready to handle the spotlight of quarterbacking in the NFL.

Scouts who have watched him this spring rave about his huge upside, and his arm strength has drawn comparisons with John Elway. The 6-foot-3, 218-pound McPherson has been making flat-footed throws of 70 yards upon request, and his pinpoint accuracy seldom leaves him in the position of hurting his team's chances. He throws effectively on the run, has great body control and knows how to make something out of nothing when a play breaks down.

McPherson is still a little raw in spots, but his instincts for the game are superb and he appears far more ready to step into somebody's lineup than either Rodgers or Smith. He has certainly handled more adversity -- and persevered -- in the past two-and-a-half years than any of the other leading quarterback prospects. Some teams might get scared away by his past, but with two weeks remaining in the scouting process, he is being mentioned as a first-round candidate, and quite possibly the third quarterback selected overall.

Oh, and one more potentially telling link between McPherson and Roethlisberger? McPherson is represented by veteran agent Leigh Steinberg. Steinberg's headline client in last year's first round? Big Ben himself.

JimNasium
04-09-2005, 09:14 AM
No.

DeepSouth
04-09-2005, 09:17 AM
Why spend the 1st round pick on a player that will sit on the bench until it's time for him to become a free agent?

To me, it'd be wasting a pick when the Chiefs could draft someone that could maybe help this year. Definitely, by next year.

htismaqe
04-09-2005, 09:17 AM
In the first round?

Only if we trade down.

beer bacon
04-09-2005, 09:28 AM
We need to be working to win this year. The window is closing! So what should we do? Reach 30 picks too early for a quarterback of course.

Brock
04-09-2005, 09:30 AM
We need to be working to win this year. The window is closing! So what should we do? Reach 30 picks too early for a quarterback of course.

To me, the draft isn't about this year. If we don't get Surtain, and we are forced to start a rookie CB, the window has slammed shut anyway.

As for where McPherson will be selected, opinions vary.

beer bacon
04-09-2005, 09:34 AM
To me, the draft isn't about this year. If we don't get Surtain, and we are forced to start a rookie CB, the window has slammed shut anyway.

As for where McPherson will be selected, opinions vary.

There are rookies every year that start and do good. You can't rest your teams hopes on a rookie being a great starter, but you should draft at a position that if the rookies does turn out to be able to be a solid starter it will help your team out where you need it.

Also, when you are drafting as early as we are you should be to expect a guy like Carlos Rogers or if we moved up a few spots, a guy like Merriman, to at least situationally contribute. I think we are getting deluded by having DV as coach. He is horrible about giving rookies playing time.

Mr. Laz
04-09-2005, 09:52 AM
i doubt mcpherson goes in round 1

if he's there in round 3 ... lets talk

Thig Lyfe
04-09-2005, 09:58 AM
Well, judging from that article if he's available later on he'd be a steal.

whoman69
04-09-2005, 10:00 AM
If we go QB in round one there will be the pressure there to put him in immediately as 1st round QBs get paid like starters.

eazyb81
04-09-2005, 10:01 AM
No way McPherson goes in the 1st round. Either way, I don't think he would be a good fit for our offense. I want to take a QB somewhere in the draft, probably the 4th-6th rounds, but I don't really want McPherson.

Brock
04-09-2005, 10:02 AM
If we go QB in round one there will be the pressure there to put him in immediately as 1st round QBs get paid like starters.

a 15th pick gets paid like a 15th pick.

dtrain
04-09-2005, 12:10 PM
There are rookies every year that start and do good. You can't rest your teams hopes on a rookie being a great starter, but you should draft at a position that if the rookies does turn out to be able to be a solid starter it will help your team out where you need it.

Also, when you are drafting as early as we are you should be to expect a guy like Carlos Rogers or if we moved up a few spots, a guy like Merriman, to at least situationally contribute. I think we are getting deluded by having DV as coach. He is horrible about giving rookies playing time.

I agree 100% especially about DV and rookie playing time. Let the best player play no matter how long they have been in the league!!!

Saulbadguy
04-09-2005, 12:12 PM
i doubt mcpherson goes in round 1

if he's there in round 3 ... lets talk
Yep.

Sure-Oz
04-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Id take a gander in the middle rounds or late

the Talking Can
04-09-2005, 12:17 PM
he would be awesome....

in the 3rd or later

milkman
04-09-2005, 07:51 PM

This mentality that rookies can't play, and should be developed while watching from the bench has been a problem in KC since Marty and Carl came to KC.

Other teams have given rookies quality playing time and developed stars.
Who, other than DT and TG have the Chiefs developed into NFL stars over the last 16 years?

Hammock Parties
04-09-2005, 07:51 PM
The only QB I want in the first round is Alex Smith.

Tribal Warfare
04-09-2005, 08:07 PM
I'm still saying a Derrick Johnson trade up

ChiefsCountry
04-09-2005, 08:12 PM
I'm still saying a Derrick Johnson trade up

I agree.

Phobia
04-09-2005, 08:14 PM
Who, other than DT and TG have the Chiefs developed into NFL stars over the last 16 years?

As in league-wide notoriety? Dante Hall? Will Shields? Does T-Rich count since we didn't draft him?

JimNasium
04-09-2005, 08:17 PM
As in league-wide notoriety? Dante Hall? Will Shields? Does T-Rich count since we didn't draft him?
Priest Holmes wasn't exactly a household name before coming to the Chiefs either. I think FA are fair game in the debate too.

SCTrojan
04-09-2005, 08:22 PM
Absolutely freaking not. We've got a lot of holes that can and should be filled in the first round. QB is definitely not one of them.

Ideally, we'll never be back this way again - drafting this high. Need to spend the pick on someone who's going to help the team this season. I don't think McPherson is that guy.

Phobia
04-09-2005, 08:23 PM
Priest Holmes wasn't exactly a household name before coming to the Chiefs either. I think FA are fair game in the debate too.

Do you think we developed him? He had a 1,000 yard season prior to joining the Chiefs.

milkman
04-09-2005, 08:33 PM

I was thinking of guys that we drafted, but we did develop T-Rich, so I think I should have broadened ny scope.

Toad
04-09-2005, 09:25 PM
A lot of people would be very suprised if McPherson got selected in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd with his past.

However, his upside is a premium. I could see us picking him in 4th. His skills are off the chart and we need a young QBOTF. The risk/reward of this guy is HEAVY on the reward side. Especially since Vermeil has had some good luck with Arena QB's (Kurt Warner anyone?).

KChiefs1
04-09-2005, 09:28 PM
Only after Rogers & Burnett have been drafted in rounds one & two. :thumb:

Gaz
04-10-2005, 06:45 AM
I quietly slipped on board the “our Super Bowl window is closing” bandwagon. Therefore, our 1st Rounder has to be someone who can contribute this season. If we were in the rebuilding phase [coming up in a year or two], then a franchise QB would be a good pick [whether or not McPherson is the franchise QB is a separate issue]. But in 2005, it is not a profitable move.

xoxo~
Gaz
Ready for that run.

htismaqe
04-10-2005, 07:09 AM
I was thinking of guys that we drafted, but we did develop T-Rich, so I think I should have broadened ny scope.

We developed Waters.

I wouldn't include Derrick Thomas in the list though - he was "developed" before he was ever drafted...

milkman
04-10-2005, 12:47 PM
We developed Waters.

I wouldn't include Derrick Thomas in the list though - he was "developed" before he was ever drafted...

Would you guys shut the hell up.

You're ruining perfectly good, albeit short, rant! :cuss: :p

Actually if it was any good, you and Phil wouldn't have thrown so damn many names at me.

Perhaps my question should have been how many players have gotten significant playing times as rookies?

Spicy McHaggis
04-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Someone start a rumor about him pissing hot and then we'll pick him in the 4th.