PDA

View Full Version : Vermeil talking about Shields.....

1adam1238
04-09-2005, 11:54 AM
http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2005/04/09/huskerextra/doc42576ff72b629969692289.txt

In a perfect football world, Kansas City Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil would have Will Shields return for at least another season and Barrett Ruud join his NFL squad.

At least those were the impressions Vermeil conveyed Friday during a meeting with reporters at Memorial Stadium.

Shields, a 12-year NFL veteran, recently has expressed thoughts of retirement, though Vermeil said he thinks Shields will play in 2005.

Vermeil said he hopes the ex-Nebraska star returns as Kansas City tries to improve on last season's 7-9 record.

"Players win games, not coaches," Vermeil said. "We need him."

Vermeil came to campus to serve as keynote speaker at the NU Spring Coaches Clinic. About 700 coaches from around the region were on hand for Friday's opening day. The annual clinic ends today.

Vermeil said he took time out from draft preparations because of his respect for Nebraska head coach Bill Callahan and the Husker program.

"You should never be too busy to do something for somebody you respect," Vermeil said.

Vermeil obviously respects Shields, calling the Oklahoma native "one of the most outstanding individuals in the National Football League."

"I care about him and want him to do what's best for his family," Vermeil said. "Secondly, I hope very much he comes back, because he's part of our Chiefs family. In fact, he's the head of it. He's the chief Chief."

The chief Chief, however, has aching knees.

"Will just needs to be handled a little differently, if he is going to play," Vermeil said, noting Shields' arthritis. "We would temper his practices … to meet his needs. He's still an All-Pro offensive lineman. But you do eventually wear down, and sometimes wear out.

"He hasn't worn out; he's worn down a little bit."

Ruud, an NFL middle/outside linebacker prospect who finished his eligibility at Nebraska last season, is an excellent player, Vermeil said.

"I'd like to have him with the Chiefs," Vermeil said.

Chiefs officials this week identified the linebacker position as an area of need as they finalized draft preparations for their defense, Vermeil said.

Ruud, a Lincoln Southeast graduate, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.65 seconds at the NFL scouting combine — a good time, not great.

"He doesn't have the fastest 40 time, but the way he moves is effortless," Vermeil said. "And he moves so efficiently. He can play the game very, very fast — and not only fast, but under control."

The 6-foot-1, 245-pound Ruud seldom was injured and last season became Nebraska's all-time leading tackler.

"When you watch him go through agility drills, you see his ability to flip his hips and bend his knees," Vermeil said. "They're all attributes of a fine athlete."

During his speech to coaches, Vermeil said, he planned to share ideas about leadership and guiding young people.

"Teaching is teaching, whether it's high school, junior college, college or pro football," he said. "I would venture to say this: On this campus, which is a great, great university, there probably is no better teaching job done than what's done by the football coaches.

"I've had the opportunity to bring college professors into football meetings and on the practice fields, and they're in awe of what goes on in preparation and the details of how you put a practice together and how teams function so efficiently."

Vermeil, a native of Calistoga, Calif., and a 1959 graduate of San Jose State, has coached in high school, junior college, college and the NFL.

"I still do a lot of things I did when I was a high school coach," he said.

Mr. Laz
04-09-2005, 11:58 AM
this is the 2nd or 3rd time i've heard about the chiefs and Ruud

i imagine if he is there in the 2nd we will consider him ... if he's there in the 3rd, he's a chief.

the Talking Can
04-09-2005, 12:28 PM
the life of a football player....arthritis before you even finish...imagine when he's 50...

LiL stumppy
04-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Ruud = The new Scanlon