PDA

View Full Version : Went street racing. The video

KCJake
04-10-2005, 09:02 PM
I thought some of you guys would enjoy this. I went out and did a little street racing this weekend. Im BlownSVT in the red Ford Lightning, racing the other Lightning(flamed) Here is the link, this site is kinda slow. Give it a minute or two :thumb:

New and improved link!

http://x100.putfile.com/videos/9920092637.wmv

Hammock Parties
04-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Shockingly boring.

Phobia
04-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Cool. Nice rig. You destroyed him.

Phobia
04-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Shockingly boring.

Because it wasn't 4 left turns in a row?

|Zach|
04-10-2005, 09:08 PM
That pretty cool...you guys couldn't hang with my '01 Explorer Sport but ya know....

Shit happens. :)

morphius
04-10-2005, 09:09 PM
Shockingly boring.
Which mean it fit in very well with the rest of your life...

KCJake
04-10-2005, 09:19 PM
That pretty cool...you guys couldn't hang with my '01 Explorer Sport but ya know....

Shit happens. :)

No doubt. I hear those Explorer's pull real hard on the top end :)

petegz28
04-10-2005, 09:38 PM
Well as a person who loves nothing more than to kick the shit out of Ford's I would discourage any street racing and would encourage you to take it to the track. It's amazing how fast guys think they are until they run on a REAL track, with a REAL light tree and a REAL clock.

Hammock Parties
04-10-2005, 09:39 PM

Heh. The night in question was actually 4 RIGHT turns in a row. Or 12...whatever...

Demonpenz
04-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Well as a person who loves nothing more than to kick the shit out of Ford's I would discourage any street racing and would encourage you to take it to the track. It's amazing how fast guys think they are until they run on a REAL track, with a REAL light tree and a REAL clock.

That costs REAL money

petegz28
04-10-2005, 09:44 PM
That costs REAL money

$20 is all it costs. That is a lot cheaper than getting a ticket and your insurance jacked.

KCIR Wedneday and Friday nights..Grudge Racing from 6-10...$20 buysw you all the runs you can get in. Plus it's a great place to show off the wheels and meet people into the same thing. And again...no speeding tickets.

morphius
04-10-2005, 09:45 PM
Or face a sport bike once...

Its amazing how pissy car guys get when they tell you all the money they dumped into their cars trying to get to what any midweight 600 sport bike could do stock.

Demonpenz
04-10-2005, 09:46 PM
No offense but KCIR sucks.

petegz28
04-10-2005, 09:47 PM

Its amazing how pissy car guys get when they tell you all the money they dumped into their cars trying to get to what any midweight 600 sport bike could do stock.

Well considering bikes weigh about 3000 lbs less than most cars I should hope they could win.

petegz28
04-10-2005, 09:49 PM
No offense but KCIR sucks.

No argument there. But it is the closest track to me. Although I am planning a few trips to Topeka this summer. And although it sucks it is still $20 and a 1/4 mile with a real light tree and clock.

KCJake
04-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Your right. It just sucks when the closet drag strip is 4 hours away. We do make about 3-4 trips to the track every year.

petegz28
04-10-2005, 09:54 PM
Your right. It just sucks when the closet drag strip is 4 hours away. We do make about 3-4 trips to the track every year.

What times are you pulling in your Lightning? I have seen some pulling high 11's although he had slicks on.

|Zach|
04-10-2005, 10:12 PM
No doubt. I hear those Explorer's pull real hard on the top end :)
Rubbin is racin.

Eleazar
04-10-2005, 10:25 PM

I don't usually indulge people that want to race, but even mine (that isn't really a true sportbike) is more than enough to blow up a riceboy or some kid in his dad's euro sedan.

And the whole thing probably cost less than that guy paid for his wheels.

KCJake
04-10-2005, 10:29 PM
What times are you pulling in your Lightning? I have seen some pulling high 11's although he had slicks on.

I've ran a best of 12.8 at 104mph.
Not the fastest thing at the track, but not bad for a pickup.

Chan93lx50
04-10-2005, 10:37 PM

Nothing like bracket racing and running your basically stock Mustang against a 9 second car. You are halfway down the track and look into your rearview mirror and see the car has not even left the line yet and in a split second they are blowing by you doing 150 or more.

You find out what fast really is!

Eleazar
04-10-2005, 10:41 PM
BTW since someone mentioned bikes... here's the end of one:

http://s88265598.onlinehome.us/vids/backloupe.wmv

stumppy
04-10-2005, 10:46 PM

There ain't nothing that compares to a circle track and swapping paint with a few cars.:thumb:

dilligaf
04-10-2005, 10:50 PM

O man, that was brutal. What a dumb azz. :shake:

dilligaf
04-10-2005, 10:52 PM
I thought some of you guys would enjoy this. I went out and did a little street racing this weekend. Im BlownSVT in the red Ford Lightning, racing the other Lightning(flamed) Here is the link, this site is kinda slow. Give it a minute or two :thumb:

New and improved link!

http://x100.putfile.com/videos/9920092637.wmv
I thought I was the only guy from Idaho here. What events do you make to Firebird. Ever make the bigger ones like The Nightfire or The Foxhunt?

stumppy
04-10-2005, 10:55 PM

"what do ya need buddy ?"

"an ambulance"

ROFL

chiefs4me
04-11-2005, 07:23 AM

:harumph:

Radar Chief
04-11-2005, 07:35 AM
(that isn't really a true sportbike)

Didn’t you say you have a Yamaha YZF-750?
That bike was homologated for Superbike racing, can’t get any sportier than that.

Idahored
04-11-2005, 09:48 AM
I thought I was the only guy from Idaho here. What events do you make to Firebird. Ever make the bigger ones like The Nightfire or The Foxhunt?

There are a few of us.......... :)

KCJake
04-11-2005, 02:25 PM
I make it to Firebird 2-3 times a year. Mainly just the heads-up street events. Im really not into bracket racing. I did get 3rd place at the Fun Ford race 3 years ago.

Eleazar
04-11-2005, 02:33 PM
Didn’t you say you have a Yamaha YZF-750?
That bike was homologated for Superbike racing, can’t get any sportier than that.

Nah, it's a Suzuki SV650S. Not as quick as a supersport but still has good punch, especially at real-world speeds.

I have had an R1 in my avatar before, maybe that was what confused you.. which I wouldn't mind having one day, but is well beyond my ability at this point.

Radar Chief
04-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Nah, it's a Suzuki SV650S. Not as quick as a supersport but still has good punch, especially at real-world speeds.

Ah, my bad. Still a good bike though.

I have had an R1 in my avatar before, maybe that was what confused you.. which I wouldn't mind having one day, but is well beyond my ability at this point.

In all honesty, the limits of modern sport bikes are beyond the abilities of 99% of the people riding them. They are so incredibly developed, racers of 20 years ago would’a killed for the parts on stock sport bikes of today.
I wouldn’t try to talk ya into one, I’ve had friends die from riding a bike over their heads, but treat it with respect and you’d be fine.

Eleazar
04-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Ah, my bad. Still a good bike though.

In all honesty, the limits of modern sport bikes are beyond the abilities of 99% of the people riding them. They are so incredibly developed, racers of 20 years ago would’a killed for the parts on stock sport bikes of today.

I wouldn’t try to talk ya into one, I’ve had friends die from riding a bike over their heads, but treat it with respect and you’d be fine.

Well, I got the bike last summer and have about 5,000 miles under my belt right now. I didn't want to start on something too powerful, but I thought that I would want to replace it by this summer. But really, the bike has power to spare in every situation and it runs great. I dont feel like I'm getting bored with it or anything. There are more powerful things on the road but I never have any trouble getting around someone when they are making me nervous or making a jump from 60-80 or so.

Maybe in another season or two I might get something bigger like that, but I wouldn't do it until I was sure I was ready. I still make minor mistakes every few times out, like a rough shift or taking a wishy-washy line through a corner or something.

Barret
04-11-2005, 03:41 PM
If you are ever in Texas with your car/bike or whatever I believe that there are several HPDE courses out there.

here is one.....

www.thedriversedge.net

Mostly driven the Texas World speedway event, but with a smaller car the Motorsport Ranch is loads of fun.

I believe that a lot of speedways have something similar so if you aren't inclined to just go in a straight line this might be something to look into.

MOhillbilly
04-11-2005, 03:45 PM
my mule is faster....get em hank

Dayze
04-11-2005, 08:43 PM
a brother is a machinist at ProCharger (ATI)...and the most impressive thing I've seen is a blown 98 SS Camaro ('company car') pull an R1 from a 2nd gear 40 mph punch.
Camaro was running 10lbs of boost, all under the hood.
In the video I saw, the guy on the bike slowed up next to the car and gave a big head nod, and thumbs up as if to say "right on". Granted, they were even when they slowed up at 130mph...but still.
R1 - 420lbs wet (approx), vs. a 2K + car.

THAT....is quick.

Skip Towne
04-11-2005, 09:18 PM
My best buddy has an original '55 Chevy with a 400 small block that turns in the 10's. He blows off the fibreglass '55's and does it ever piss them off. BTW, my buddy is 70 years old. You ought to hear us old guys cackle at those young fools.

Eleazar
04-11-2005, 09:25 PM
a brother is a machinist at ProCharger (ATI)...and the most impressive thing I've seen is a blown 98 SS Camaro ('company car') pull an R1 from a 2nd gear 40 mph punch.
In the video I saw, the guy on the bike slowed up next to the car and gave a big head nod, and thumbs up as if to say "right on". Granted, they were even when they slowed up at 130mph...but still.

THAT....is quick.

That is impressive. I've heard stories of a club here in KC that does that sort of thing, people that race Vipers and other supercars, literbikes, etc. I would guess that something like an R1 would have pretty much anything on the street until into the triple digits, but all that displacement would have to take over at some point.

morphius
04-11-2005, 09:38 PM

THAT....is quick.
What was an R1 doing at 40mph in 2nd gear? Hell, my 98 CBR 600 well do 45 in first gear. You are not even starting the R1 in its power range...

morphius
04-11-2005, 09:40 PM
That is impressive. I've heard stories of a club here in KC that does that sort of thing, people that race Vipers and other supercars, literbikes, etc. I would guess that something like an R1 would have pretty much anything on the street until into the triple digits, but all that displacement would have to take over at some point.
Those sport bikes are not very aerodynamic, sure they look it, but they are not. Most the exotic cars well catch a bike on the top end.

KCJake
04-11-2005, 09:41 PM
What was an R1 doing at 40mph in 2nd gear? Hell, my 98 CBR 600 well do 45 in first gear. You are not even starting the R1 in its power range...
I was thinking the same thing. He might be referring to the Camaro being in 2nd gear at 40mph.

morphius
04-11-2005, 09:59 PM
I was thinking the same thing. He might be referring to the Camaro being in 2nd gear at 40mph.
I think it is one of those setup's to take away all the advantages of speed a bike gives you. I have seen video's like that on the internet as well.

No biggie though, its all in fun anyway.

Eleazar
04-11-2005, 10:11 PM
I think it is one of those setup's to take away all the advantages of speed a bike gives you. I have seen video's like that on the internet as well.

No biggie though, its all in fun anyway.

sprockets swapped?

morphius
04-11-2005, 10:51 PM
sprockets swapped?
I don't know. I was just thinking about starting at a speed that is out of the power range of the bike, taking away off the line speed, etc, etc.

Radar Chief
04-12-2005, 06:30 AM

Yup, top end of first gear on an R1 will be around 80-90 mph, and unless that Camero has a gear change in the rear end, it isn’t even geared to do more than about 150. The R1 should run over 170.
Acceleration is the name of the game though, a Viper will run over 170 also but requires around 5 miles of wide-open road with the throttle planted against the firewall to reach that kind of speed. An R1 (or for that matter GSXR1000, CBR1000RR or ZX-10) can take off from a standing start, hit there peak speed and brake back down to a standing stop all within 2 miles.
While there is no replacement for displacement, that’s not the game. The game is power to weight ratio and sport bikes have it all over everything but the most exotic of the exotic cars.