PDA

View Full Version : Study: We're getting used to the taste of spam

|Zach|
04-11-2005, 03:22 PM
Fewer people find spam annoying or unpleasant as did a year ago, according to a study by the Pew Internet and American Life Project.

Currently, 67 percent of e-mail users say that spam negatively affects their online experience, compared with 77 percent a year ago.

People are also recovering their trust in e-mail, with 53 percent of users saying spam has sapped their confidence in e-mail, down from 62 percent a year ago.

The Pew Internet and American Life project has monitored e-mail users' attitudes towards spam during the last two years. Researchers with the project believe that negative reactions hit a peak about a year ago and will decline or level off over time.

"These findings suggest that at least for now, the worst-case scenario--that spam will seriously degrade or even destroy e-mail--is not happening and that users are settling into a level of discomfort with spam that is tolerable to them," the report says.

Young people between the ages of 18 and 24 years old were the least likely to be bothered by spam and also the least likely to stop using e-mail because of it, according to the report.

Despite people's increasingly blase reactions to spam, the impact of unsolicited bulk e-mail on online behavior shouldn't be discounted.

"Despite declines, spam remains a relatively major issue for Internet users," the study says. "More than half of Internet users, 52 percent, consider spam a big problem. Internet users are more negative about spam than they are about other Internet problems," such as malware.

About one-fifth of users say that spam has affected their use of e-mail in general, with 22 percent of users now using e-mail less as a direct result of unwanted bulk mail, although the figure is down from its 2004 figure of 29 percent.
Me TV: Finally, you are in control

However, users aren't doing as much to prevent the annoying e-mail ads from reaching them, it seems.

"E-mail users have changed their spam avoidance behavior very little in the last year and a half. If anything, they have been a little less likely to practice good habits," the study said, noting that a stable 6 percent of e-mail users still buy products advertised through spam.

The report was based on responses from 1,421 people and had a margin of error of plus or minur 3.2 percentage points. Click here for a PDF of the full report.

Jo Best of Silicon.com reported from London.

Copyright ©1995-2005 CNET Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.

Wrasse
04-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Interesting.

It doesn't bother me as much as it used to due to this: http://www.postini.com/

Eleazar
04-11-2005, 03:37 PM
I just have one email address that I put on signup forms, so the spam gets directed to it, and the other one I never give out to anyone but a real person that I know in real life. That's my 'real' address and it never gets any spam.

KCChiefsMan
04-11-2005, 04:00 PM
I just have one email address that I put on signup forms, so the spam gets directed to it, and the other one I never give out to anyone but a real person that I know in real life. That's my 'real' address and it never gets any spam.

I have 4 different email addresses due to that. One I keep for professional/personal purposes. The other 3 gets an average of 200-500 spam emails a day

ChiefsCountry
04-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Hotmail has helped elimianted alot of that spam for one of my accounts.

Logical
04-11-2005, 04:20 PM
I have no way of knowing this for a fact, but I believe the reason it is less annoying is better and better Spam filters. Out of sight out of mind

whoman69
04-11-2005, 05:22 PM
My IP has a junk mail filter. I hardly ever get any spam in my main inbox. I just go to junk mail and empty it out if there's nothing I asked for. Less concern about spam is most like due to better spam blockers out there now.

kcfanintitanhell
04-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Could someone enlighten me on the motivation behind these people cranking out this shit? I don't know anyone, and I mean anyone, that responds to it. My band's guestbook got indundated about six months ago by spammers advertising everything from texas holdem to cumshots in HUGE purple lettering.
What exactly is the motivation?

Rain Man
04-11-2005, 05:58 PM
We need to find the "six percent who buy products advertised through spam" and beat them savagely with gardening tools. That is the only way to solve the problem.

|Zach|
04-11-2005, 05:58 PM
We need to find the "six percent who buy products advertised through spam" and beat them savagely with gardening tools. That is the only way to solve the problem.
I have no garden; will my bare fists work?

kcfanintitanhell
04-11-2005, 06:02 PM
I have no garden; will my bare fists work?
I think somewhere between texas holdem and cumshots was a link to gardening tools in our guestbook..... :rolleyes:

Bob Dole
04-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Bob Dole's favorite Spam recipe.

Title: Back To Bataan Spam
Yield: 1 Servings

Ingredients

1/2 c vegetable shortening
1 lg bell pepper, seeded and
-sliced into; rings
1 lg onion, sliced
1 lg can spam luncheon meat, cut
-into bi; te sized cubes
4 tb applesauce salt and pepper
1 ts sugar
1 cn whole potatoes (16 oz.)
1 ds oregano

Instructions

Put the shortening in a large skillet, add the bell pepper rings and
onion, cooking until the onion is transparent. Add the rest of the
ingredient and cook, covered, over medium heat for 16 to 18 minutes.
Serve warm.

kcfanintitanhell
04-11-2005, 06:06 PM
Bob Dole's favorite Spam recipe.

Title: Back To Bataan Spam
Yield: 1 Servings

Ingredients

1/2 c vegetable shortening
1 lg bell pepper, seeded and
-sliced into; rings
1 lg onion, sliced
1 lg can spam luncheon meat, cut
-into bi; te sized cubes
4 tb applesauce salt and pepper
1 ts sugar
1 cn whole potatoes (16 oz.)
1 ds oregano

Instructions

Put the shortening in a large skillet, add the bell pepper rings and
onion, cooking until the onion is transparent. Add the rest of the
ingredient and cook, covered, over medium heat for 16 to 18 minutes.
Serve warm.

I can almost hear the Monty Python thread breaking out...
But damn, that sure sounds good.

Ninjaman
04-11-2005, 07:57 PM
DON"T use HOTMAIL !!!!!!!!

It suck!!!!

Use Yahoo - has spamguard.

or Google mail. Gmail !