PDA

View Full Version : NFL economics: Salary craps

Mr. Laz
04-11-2005, 03:27 PM
NFL economics: Salary craps
Posted: April 11, 2005

Drafting a quarterback high in the first round may be riskier this year because for any team other than the 49ers, getting the player signed in a timely fashion could be more difficult than ever. The 49ers, with the first overall pick, can negotiate with their choice before the draft. Other teams are supposed to wait to negotiate.

In fact, it could be harder than ever to sign first-rounders on the whole. This year, because the collective bargaining agreement has not been extended, teams can prorate bonuses over only five years -- compared with six years in 2004 and seven years previously -- which will hold down some initial offers.

One general manager warns that signing the top 20 picks is going to be very difficult. "I wouldn't expect any of those players signing before July," he says.

That could devalue a potential first-round quarterback such as Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers. Quarterbacks in particular need to get an early jump on learning their systems. A quarterback who shows up for the first time in the middle of training camp is the equivalent of a 2006 draft pick.

Pro Football Insider Dan Pompei is a senior writer for Sporting News. E-mail him at dpompei@sportingnews.com.

DTLB58
04-11-2005, 06:01 PM
One general manager warns that signing the top 20 picks is going to be very difficult. "I wouldn't expect any of those players signing before July," he says.

Oh great! Just what we need, another excuse for Carl not to get our #1 signed. :cuss:

Spicy McHaggis
04-11-2005, 06:04 PM

Oh great! Just what we need, another excuse for Carl not to get our #1 signed. :cuss:

Carl was probably the general mananger quoted.

NJ Chief Fan
04-11-2005, 08:00 PM
no just another reason for carl to trade our first rounder for 4 future 7th rounders :banghead:

SBK
04-11-2005, 08:23 PM
Carl was probably the general mananger quoted.

ROFL