PDA

View Full Version : Anyone listening to 810? I was just on the radio...

cmh6476
04-13-2005, 09:07 AM
just asked Kevin Harlan what he thought about paying college athletes to persuade them to stay in school PBJ PBJ

Saulbadguy
04-13-2005, 09:08 AM
So..what do you think on the matter?

KCTitus
04-13-2005, 09:09 AM
no, sorry...I'm listening to 1140.

KingPriest2
04-13-2005, 09:20 AM
and......?

cmh6476
04-13-2005, 09:22 AM
So..what do you think on the matter?
I wouldn't mind college athletes being paid.

Like they said, it would be tough to regulate. They brought up some pretty good points. Do you pay lacrosse players? Soccer?

What about schools like Baylor, struggling to make it as it is?

And what about discrepency between programs? Stadiums from say Oklahoma to KU, where OU is obviously going to make more money for football and have the ability to pay more for football players.

I don't think it should be anywhere near the scale of a pro athlete. maybe just like a job they could get in school. They're bringing in the bucks for the schools, and it is really a full time job for them. Why not give them some cash for what they're doin?

tyton75
04-13-2005, 09:23 AM
did you drop Chiefsplanet into your question?

cmh6476
04-13-2005, 09:25 AM
did you drop Chiefsplanet into your question?
no, but I did mention something about more Cowbell!

Saulbadguy
04-13-2005, 09:38 AM
I wouldn't mind college athletes being paid.

Like they said, it would be tough to regulate. They brought up some pretty good points. Do you pay lacrosse players? Soccer?

What about schools like Baylor, struggling to make it as it is?

And what about discrepency between programs? Stadiums from say Oklahoma to KU, where OU is obviously going to make more money for football and have the ability to pay more for football players.

I don't think it should be anywhere near the scale of a pro athlete. maybe just like a job they could get in school. They're bringing in the bucks for the schools, and it is really a full time job for them. Why not give them some cash for what they're doin?
The 3 main points on each side of the argument is...

1. Athletes are already given scholarships. Their room, board, and education is completely paid for.

2. Being an athlete is like a job. Most of your time not devoted to education, is devoted to athletics.

3. In some cases, as an athlete, you make the university money. Mainly just Football and Mens Basketball, and in some cases Womens Basketball.

Saulbadguy
04-13-2005, 09:39 AM
That being said, I don't think NCAA athletes should receive a stipend for playing. It would be too hard to regulate IMO.

Iowanian
04-13-2005, 10:41 AM
College athletes already have scholarships.............If they don't have a decade of student loans to work off when they get out........they've already been paid handsomely.

It should NOT be the job of state institutions or the tuition payers of private schools, to Keep the basketball team in the freshest FuBU available.

Mr. Laz
04-13-2005, 02:00 PM
they already are paid ... ya know how much shool costs nowadays

cmh6476
04-13-2005, 03:16 PM
http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=118853

you should see the debate i created at FFT :(