PDA

View Full Version : Another Surtain Thread 4/13/05 - Nothing New..

carlos3652
04-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Dolphins still shopping Surtain
April 13
Miami Herald (scroll down) (registration required): "The Dolphins continue trying to trade cornerback Patrick Surtain because they can't afford his $8 million salary-cap number. If and when the trade is consummated, Will Poole, Mario Edwards and Reggie Howard will compete for the starting job -- a downgrade by anyone's reckoning."

No. 2 pick offers impact, options
April 10
Miami Herald (registration required): "Well, they might opt out of the second overall selection in a trade-down scenario that could bring more picks either this year or next. Saban hates the fact he inherited only five draft picks and wants many more."

Hopefully no one gets in the mix w/ Surtain and Saban wants picks this year and next...

nascher
04-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Saban won't get more picks !!! Nobody wants to trade-up to #2.

eazyb81
04-13-2005, 01:12 PM
Do you guys think it will help our chances to trade for Surtain if they find a team willing to trade up to #2? They would most likely get a 2nd round pick in the trade, and might be willing to trade Surtain for a 4th/5th this year and a 2nd next year, rather then a 2nd this year.

eazyb81
04-13-2005, 01:13 PM
Saban won't get more picks !!! Nobody wants to trade-up to #2.

There are new rumors that Tampa Bay is looking to trade up to draft one of the QBs.

BigChiefFan
04-13-2005, 01:14 PM
Saban backed himself in a corner. They need another team's help to get out of the situation they are in, but they want to play hardball. Let Saban squirm a little bit before we put him out of his misery.

Iowanian
04-13-2005, 01:18 PM
If the dolphins "can't afford him"........I think carl wins and the Price goes down on Draft day.

If the dolphins still "can't afford him".........he could be available June 1........which is foolish of the dolphins.

My wager is that Carl gets Surtain for a 4th this year and a conditional pick next year that can be as high as a 2nd, more likely 3-4.

Cormac
04-13-2005, 01:26 PM
There are new rumors that Tampa Bay is looking to trade up to draft one of the QBs.

I seriously doubt this rumour. TB have Chrissy Sims who they seem to like. And they just re-signed Griese to a big deal. AND they really need a RB and will have their choice at #5, probably between Cadillac Williams or Cedric Benson. If they move up to #2, I'd say it will be to get Ronnie Brown.

Mr. Kotter
04-13-2005, 01:31 PM
Saban backed himself in a corner. They need another team's help to get out of the situation they are in, but they want to play hardball. Let Saban squirm a little bit before we put him out of his misery.

2 is to high for us to get what we need at the price we want....

eazyb81
04-13-2005, 01:32 PM
I seriously doubt this rumour. TB have Chrissy Sims who they seem to like. And they just re-signed Griese to a big deal. AND they really need a RB and will have their choice at #5, probably between Cadillac Williams or Cedric Benson. If they move up to #2, I'd say it will be to get Ronnie Brown.

The big talk right now is that if they trade up to #2, they will draft a QB and Chris Simms will be involved in the deal. Obviously they don't need another young QB if they have Simms, but a few teams are high on him and would like him to be included in the trade.

Iowanian
04-13-2005, 01:41 PM
If the Surtain deal falls through, CP will step in and say that Law was his target the whole time anyway.

With one of them, and a 1st round CB/OLB/Hicks replacement DE..........It'll be good.

I could see a CB like Browning being a 2nd round pick too.

royr17
04-13-2005, 05:39 PM
I can almost guarntee if Surtain isnt a chief on draft day that we will draft a CB 1st round and Ty Law will be signed later.

nascher
04-13-2005, 05:45 PM
Who is Browning ?

milkman
04-13-2005, 05:46 PM
I really don't like the idea of trading a future conditional pick, when we see the results of the Wellbourne deal.

Also, is it true that next year's draft class has the potential to be much better than this year's?