PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs sign Quinton Caver

Saulbadguy
04-14-2005, 09:22 AM
CHIEFS AGREE TO TERMS WITH FREE AGENT LB QUINTON CAVER
Apr 14, 2005, 9:20:51 AM

Kansas City Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced on Thursday that the club has agreed to terms of a one-year contract with free agent LB Quinton Caver. As per Chiefs policy, no further terms of the agreement were disclosed.

Caver (6-4, 241) has appeared in 45 career games (four starts) over the past four seasons with Philadelphia and Kansas City, recording 46 tackles (31 solo), three passes defensed, three QB pressures and 40 special teams tackles. Caver has also seen action in four postseason contests, posting one solo tackle and two special teams stops.

After signing with the Chiefs on October 28, 2002, the 26-year old Caver has seen duty in 29 regular season games (four starts) as well as one postseason affair. Caver appeared in all 16 games (four starts) for the Chiefs in 2004, compiling a career-high 32 total tackles (23 solo) with three passes defensed and two QB pressures. He also posted a career-best 17 special teams tackles, which was good for third on the team.

A product of the University of Arkansas, Caver started 24 games during his collegiate career and finished with 239 tackles, including 30 for loss. As a senior, he finished second on the team with a career-high 91 tackles on his way to earning first team All-SEC honors. The Anniston, Alabama native also intercepted one pass, which he returned 33 yards for a TD vs. LSU. Caver was a first-team all-state selection as a senior at Anniston High School.

Mr. Kotter
04-14-2005, 09:25 AM
Now we can forget about that need at OLB....whew!

:banghead:

the Talking Can
yea

Mark M
This guy isn't even that good on special teams.

Unfortunately, KC is so short on LBs that they really didn't have much choice. They just need bodies right now ...

MM
~~:sulk:

BigChiefFan
04-14-2005, 09:32 AM
I really thought Caver would be gone and Beisel re-signed, but the Pats changed that.

Dave Lane
04-14-2005, 09:33 AM
They forgot this:

His signing bonus included a Big Mac, 2 orders of fries and a hot apple pie.

Dave

Manila-Chief
04-14-2005, 09:35 AM
I really thought Caver would be gone and Beisel re-signed, but the Pats changed that.

Well, Kingless is still in charge!!!

Dave Lane
04-14-2005, 09:35 AM
as well as one postseason affair.

Personally I think we should leave his off field activites off his resume.

Dave

Chest Rockwell
04-14-2005, 09:54 AM
They forgot this:

Dave

TWO ORDERS of fries? WTF is Carl thinking? Opening the wallet for the wrong guy. Why go big spender now? If Caver's worth 2 orders of fries, Surtain is for sure worth a 2nd round pick.

DAMNIT CARL!

Of course, if those fries weren't supersize, I retract this statement in it's entirety.

ROYC75
04-14-2005, 10:06 AM
They forgot this:

Dave

All this time, I was thinking it was a Happy Meal that made them happy ? :doh!:

Eleazar
04-14-2005, 10:09 AM
A former highly-touted second round pick, it's worth noting.

BigChiefFan
04-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Former being the key word. I haven't heard him being highly touted since his rookie year.

C-Mac
04-14-2005, 10:21 AM

You know and I dont understand it. He was an all SEC monster when he played at Arkansas(alongside Carlos Hall), some even though he might go in the first round.
:shrug:

ChiTown
04-14-2005, 10:34 AM
They forgot this:

Dave

Pie! Did someone say! I want my pie!

nmt1
04-14-2005, 10:37 AM
You know and I dont understand it. He was an all SEC monster when he played at Arkansas(alongside Carlos Hall), some even though he might go in the first round.
:shrug:

The draft's a crap shoot, plain and simple.

Mr. Laz
04-14-2005, 10:37 AM
super bowl here we come

Hydrae
04-14-2005, 10:40 AM
I have ben disappointed in Caver in a lot of ways. But I am glad to hear that he is getting better at the special teams stuff, that was the big knock on him out of Philly.

Iowanian
04-14-2005, 10:41 AM
a 1 year contract only really means he'll be in camp with an oportunity to make the team.

There is a lack of BODIES at LB for regular season at this point, let alone Training Camp.

Personally, I'm hoping enough Talent influxes at the position with the Draft and more FA signings, that he doesn't make teh roster.

Frankie
04-14-2005, 11:10 AM
He was an all SEC monster when he played at Arkansas(alongside Carlos Hall), some even though he might go in the first round.

That's exactly why I don't have a problem with this signing. Anytime there's a young player who was highly regarded in a fairly recent draft I want to milk the last possibility that the talent could be retapped. Especially for cheap. Plus he has a probowler type name. ;)

ChiefsCountry
04-14-2005, 11:13 AM
That's exactly why I don't have a problem with this signing. Anytime there's a young player who was highly regarded in a fairly recent draft I want to milk the last possibility that the talent could be retapped. Especially for cheap. Plus he has a probowler type name. ;)

I agree, he has some talent, just hasn't put it all together. He is a solid backup and special teams player. Its not a bad signing, not a pro-bowler by any means which some people think we need 2 deep at everything, its for depth purposes not starting.

Frankie
04-14-2005, 11:27 AM
I agree.

REALLY?!!
(In my best Jon Stewart impression)

Dave Lane
04-14-2005, 12:40 PM
TWO ORDERS of fries? WTF is Carl thinking? Opening the wallet for the wrong guy. Why go big spender now? If Caver's worth 2 orders of fries, Surtain is for sure worth a 2nd round pick.

DAMNIT CARL!

Of course, if those fries weren't supersize, I retract this statement in it's entirety.

Hey Lamar said let it all go baby!

Dave

chiefz
04-14-2005, 12:45 PM
Caver is pretty valuable on special teams.

kc rush
04-14-2005, 12:47 PM

DAMNIT CARL!

Don't worry, they used Bartee's employee discount. He got a jump on the job search and started working there last week.

McDonalds has him working the fry machine because you don't really have to turn your head to work the fry machine.

Wile_E_Coyote
04-14-2005, 01:20 PM
I've not seen this posted, from Wed

<A name=223311>Chiefs | Sharpe Re-signed - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:13:58 -0700
The Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.kffl.com/team/21/nfl) have re-signed free agent DT Montique Sharpe (http://www.kffl.com/player/7532/nfl) to a one-year, $305,000 deal.

whoman69
04-14-2005, 01:29 PM
As a backup, he is no worse than what any other team around has. This is an easy decision for a guy who will not get a big contract and is not thought to be competing for anything more than a backup spot and ST. For salary cap reasons, every team needs several players that are not going to get starters salaries.