PDA

View Full Version : Ourlad's Mock Draft

Mr. Laz
04-14-2005, 12:03 PM
Ourlads' 2005 NFL Mock Draft

Updated: Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Here’s a look at the latest projection of the first round of the 2005 NFL Draft based upon our grades and insight around the NFL.

Pk Team _______ Player __ Pos. School
1 San Francisco 49ers Aaron Rodgers QB California
2 Miami Dolphins Ronnie Brown RB Auburn
3 Cleveland Browns Braylon Edwards WR Michigan
4 Chicago Bears Mike Williams WR Southern California
5 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Carnell Williams RB Auburn
6 Tennessee Titans Antrel Rolle CB Miami, Fla
7 Minnesota Vikings Cedric Benson RB Texas
8 Arizona Cardinals Carlos Rogers CB Auburn
9 Washington Redskins Shawne Merriman OLB-DE Maryland
10 Detroit Lions Heath Miller TE Virginia
11 Dallas Cowboys Demarcus Ware OLB-DE Troy
12 San Diego Chargers Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma
13 Houston Texans Troy Williamson WR South Carolina
14 Carolina Panthers Shaun Cody DT Southern California

15 Kansas City Chiefs Derrick Johnson LB Texas

16 New Orleans Saints Marcus Spears DL Louisiana State
17 Cincinnati Bengals Thomas Davis SS Georgia
18 Minnesota Vikings Reggie Brown WR Georgia
19 St. Louis Rams Alex Barron OT Florida State
20 Dallas Cowboys Brodney Pool S Oklahoma
21 Jacksonville Jaguars Marlin Jackson CB Michigan
22 Baltimore Ravens Jammal Brown OT Oklahoma
23 Seattle Seahawks Kevin Burnett LB Tennessee
24 Green Bay Packers David Pollack DE Georgia
25 Denver Broncos Adam Jones CB West Virginia
26 New York Jets Fabian Washington CB Nebraska
27 Atlanta Falcons Luis Castillo DT Northwestern
28 San Diego Chargers Matt Roth DE Iowa
29 Indianapolis Colts Barrett Ruud LB Nebraska
30 Pittsburgh Steelers Justin Miller CB Clemson
31 Philadelphia Eagles Alex Smith TE Stanford
32 New England Patriots Odell Thurman LB Georgia

Notes:
The 49ers remain in a flux at the top of this draft. They are intrigued with the upside of Utah’s Alex Smith, but California’s Aaron Rodgers remains the safe pick. At the same time, none of these quarterbacks warrant being picked this high. This is a dangerous situation for the 49ers. Michigan wide receiver Braylon Edwards would be the safest pick and they could find better value atop the second round.

In Cleveland, a similar situation is arising with the third pick. Ideally, they would like to trade out of that spot, but it could be extremely difficult. The Browns like Alex Smith’s overall tools, but we believe they have to take the best available player on the board if they remain in the third slot.

The Detroit Lions are in a tough spot with the 10th pick. Perhaps a top player will fall to them or they have to reach a little for an impact player. They could look at a playmaker on defense or reach for a wide receiver. Although they signed veteran Marcus Pollard, it’s hard to ignore Virginia tight end Heath Miller. Miller would bolster the Lions’ core for the long-term and would be a natural fit under Steve Mariucci. Miller is a playmaker in the mold of Baltimore’s Todd Heap.

Troy’s Demarcus Ware continues to climb up draft boards. The Dallas Cowboys would like to trade down from the 11th spot if the right deal comes along. Ware is an intriguing pick for Bill Parcells. Parcells is interested in incorporating some 3-4 packages on defense, but isn’t making any commitments until after the draft. Ware would be the versatile upfield type that would allow Parcells to make his adjustments on defense.

The Kansas City Chiefs are talking with Miami and Oakland regarding Patrick Surtain and Charles Woodson, respectively. If the Chiefs can’t land a cornerback before the draft, they’ll have to strongly consider somebody in the first round.

The Cincinnati Bengals and New Orleans Saints are in tough spots in the middle of the first round. They may not get the playmakers they covet in this draft.

The Green Bay Packers have significant interest in Akron quarterback Charlie Frye as we originally reported before the mainstream media. With the 24th pick, the priority is on the defensive side of the ball. If they find the right value on defense, they’ll likely take defense over Frye.

Teams will be finishing the draft meetings up in the next several days, which should help the first round to begin working itself into place. Over the last couple weeks leading up to the draft, you will be hearing a lot of rumors and smoke screen being planted by teams and agents. There’s been some already the past few weeks, but we just want to send warnings to our fans to consider that when you hear rumors down the stretch.

Ebolapox
04-14-2005, 12:06 PM
I like it

-EB-

Brock
04-14-2005, 12:08 PM
Obviously, it depends on drafting for need vs. potential, but I don't see the Lions or Texans drafting offense.

Mike Grose
04-14-2005, 12:11 PM
I also don't see Pac-Man dropping to #25.

Bowser
04-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Obviously, it depends on drafting for need vs. potential, but I don't see the Lions or Texans drafting offense.

Agree, although Heath Miller and Marcus Pollard together would be a tough combo in Mariucci's offense. And I would bet that Houston would take either Derrick Johnson or Thomas Davis before any wide receiver.

Mr. Laz
04-14-2005, 12:12 PM

i wouldn't be surprise to see detroit grab Miller.

mooch luvs tightends ... bruener is more of a blocker and miller has been inconsistent.

i would think the texans would grab andrew "pacman" jones in that senerio though.

Mark M
04-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Agree, although Heath Miller and Marcus Pollard together would be a tough combo in Mariucci's offense. And I would bet that Houston would take either Derrick Johnson or Thomas Davis before any wide receiver.

Yep. They could use some after losing, what, 2 of them this offseason?

Plus, don't they already have a couple of good, young WRs on the roster?

All of these mocks are interesting, to be sure, but who KC picks will depend a lot on if they get Surtain. I don't even see Woodson as being a possibility -- no way in hell The Evil Emporer in Chess King Clothes makes a trade with KC.

MM
~~:shake:

chiefsfolife
04-14-2005, 12:27 PM
dam i hope you're right bro

ChiefsCountry
04-14-2005, 12:30 PM
Where is Alex Smith from Utah on this draft?

Mile High Mania
04-14-2005, 12:51 PM
Interesting...

http://www.bestsoftwareprice.com/images/Pac-Man%20Adventures%20In%20Time.jpeg

Mile High Mania
04-14-2005, 12:52 PM

Excellent point... they mention him in the fluff, but he's not on the rankings unless I'm blind.

ChiefsCountry
04-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Excellent point... they mention him in the fluff, but he's not on the rankings unless I'm blind.

The more than likely #1 pick in the draft even isn't in their draft. Sorry they suck.

Mile High Mania
04-14-2005, 01:01 PM
Yeah, that does tend to hurt your street cred on this kinda thing...

whoman69
04-14-2005, 01:08 PM
I also don't see Pac-Man dropping to #25.
I can. You can talk about how CBs need speed these days, but if the QB can just throw the ball up then the defender is powerless. Pac Man may be the most athletically gifted guy out there, but his size is a major disadvantage in a league in which receivers can commonly be 6'2" or more.

Tribal Warfare
04-14-2005, 02:20 PM
this Mock rules :wayne:

Taco John
04-14-2005, 02:32 PM
Holy cow! That would be awesome if Pacman fell to us... These guys are on crack!

Bowser
04-14-2005, 02:34 PM
Holy cow! That would be awesome if Pacman fell to us... These guys are on crack!

Hell, they don't even have have Alex Smith going in the first round! The Mange would explode if you had your choice between Smith and Pac Man Jones.........

LiL stumppy
04-14-2005, 03:25 PM
If we get a corner in FA,we better get a LB in the draft.

carlos3652
04-14-2005, 03:34 PM

this mock has him falling to our 3rd round comp pick for QBOTF...

philfree
04-14-2005, 04:01 PM
If every mock followed the status quo they'd be boring but in the case of the 2005 draft the mockers can't get a handle on it because of the lack of sure fire blue chippers. There are questions about most every top prospect except a couple RBs and Edwards the WR from Mich. Because of that there is no telling how this draft will go down. DJ may very well slip to us but if we don't have a CB by then it's gonna be hard to pick him.

PhilFree:arrow:

htismaqe
04-15-2005, 05:22 AM
No way does Heath Miller go top 10. He's now got some knee concerns...

farmerchief
04-15-2005, 06:02 AM
the Vikings drafting another RB would be like the Chiefs drafting another safety!
farmerchief

Eleazar
04-15-2005, 06:07 AM
DJ won't make it out of the top 10. These mockers are crazy.