PDA

View Full Version : Man, do the Royals suck or what??

Deberg_1990
04-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Geez.....where do I begin?? Hmmmmm.....it all starts at the Top:

Mr. Wal Mart
Allen Baird
Tony Pena
The position coaches
The scouts
The Players
The minor league system...

Crap flows straight downhill....

Sure-Oz
04-14-2005, 06:32 PM
Calm down, wtf did you expect this season really?

carlos3652
04-14-2005, 06:32 PM

Mr. Wal Mart
Allen Baird
Tony Pena
The position coaches
The scouts
The Players

Crap flows stright downhill....

Tell us how you really feel...

Deberg_1990
04-14-2005, 06:34 PM
Calm down, wtf did you expect this season really?

Not much.......but ive been waiting 20 years already for some playoff baseball in KC, The way its looking, ill probably be waiting another 20 years for a decent team.

Eleazar
04-14-2005, 06:36 PM
I'm surprised it took you so long.

Sure-Oz
04-14-2005, 06:36 PM
It would be nice but the way baseball is setup this team is expected, gotta hope the young talent grows and we add more talent and hope for a possible div champ in like 10 years. This offense is just horrible though, i can't wait till we trade sweeney and some vets and get more young guys in there.

Brock
04-14-2005, 06:39 PM
Why would anyone have any feelings on it other than, "as expected"?

alanm
04-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Man, do the Royals suck or what??

Not nearly as bad as the Colorado Rockies. ROFL ROFL ROFL

Logical
04-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Why would anyone have any feelings on it other than, "as expected"?
:clap::clap::clap:

Spott
04-14-2005, 06:44 PM
Until there is real revenue sharing and a hard cap like football has, the Royals and most of the other small market teams will be nothing more than farm teams for the Yankees.

Archie Bunker
04-14-2005, 06:46 PM
It is better than what I expected. The starting pitching (outside of Herpes Time) has been great and Sisco, Affeldt, and McDougal have been decent out of the pen.

I knew this was going to be a long year. The line-up is terrible but the young starters pitching well enough to keep the Royals in most games is a pleasant surprise.

Deberg_1990
04-14-2005, 06:48 PM
Until there is real revenue sharing and a hard cap like football has, the Royals and most of the other small market teams will be nothing more than farm teams for the Yankees.

Yes, the Economics of Baseball suck and its unlikely to change soon as long as fat cats like Steinbrenner are running things, but the "small market" excuse is starting be be used as too much of a "crutch" now by the fans and the team. How do the Marlins, Twins, A's compete??

alanm
04-14-2005, 06:48 PM
The only way that's going to happen is probably a lockout like the NHL. The players and the Players Association will not accept a salary cap.

Sure-Oz
04-14-2005, 06:51 PM
This may be the worst Royals lineup ive seen on paper anyway.

Sure-Oz
04-14-2005, 06:53 PM
Yes, the Economics of Baseball suck and its unlikely to change soon as long as fat cats like Steinbrenner are running things, but the "small market" excuse is starting be be used as too much of a "crutch" now by the fans and the team. How do the Marlins, Twins, A's compete??
Draft well, get good young talent! We don't have josh beckett, aj burnett, miguel cabreras, tim hudsons, mulders, zitos, and last of all torii hunters, johan santanas. We got rid of our young talent for shit. Most of our young talent has been busts as well. Scouting blows.

Deberg_1990
04-14-2005, 06:54 PM
Whats amazing to me about Baseball is that its "Top Dog" the commisioner is a small market team owner, yet he is too incompetent to make things better for his own team or the rest of the league. I dont really consider him to be much of a commisioner.

Frazod
04-14-2005, 06:55 PM
Whats amazing to me about Baseball is that its "Top Dog" the commisioner is a small market team owner, yet he is too incompetent to make things better for his own team or the rest of the league. I dont really consider him to be much of a commisioner.

That's because he has big market hands up his ass controlling his actions.

VonneMarie
04-14-2005, 06:56 PM
Trade for some hitting and relief pitching and we'll be fine.

Deberg_1990
04-14-2005, 06:56 PM
Draft well, get good young talent! We don't have josh beckett, aj burnett, miguel cabreras, tim hudsons, mulders, zitos, and last of all torii hunters, johan santanas. We got rid of our young talent for shit. Most of our young talent has been busts as well. Scouting blows.

Exactly, thats been one of our biggest problems the past 10-15 years, especially pitching. We had many, many pitching busts in the mid to late 90's

Deberg_1990
04-14-2005, 07:01 PM
That's because he has big market hands up his ass controlling his actions.

This is why they need to get an independent guy like they had back in the 80's, Peter Ubberoth again. Someone with no ties to a MLB organization.

suds79
04-14-2005, 07:02 PM
I don't get upset anymore. I really don't.

I've come to the conclusion that it'll never change without revenue sharing & a salary cap in baseball and that's that.

The Royals will not be very good this year, next year and the year after that. Trust me. It will not change.

To put it into perspective, just winning the division and getting to post season for the Royals is like the equivalent to a large market team winning the World Series IMO.

And I just don't want to be a part of that as a fan.

teedubya
04-14-2005, 07:37 PM
ill go to a few games with my kid this year. The Royals blow monkey ass, but I still root for them. Plus its fun to go to the K, losing team and all.

Dave Lane
04-14-2005, 07:40 PM
Yup

Dave

Saulbadguy
04-14-2005, 07:43 PM
They have a Planet Sub at the K now, but they only offer a few subs, and they are 5.25, and aren't near as good as the ones at the stores. Still better than most of the stuff they serve up.

Sure-Oz
04-14-2005, 07:45 PM
Isn't there a Gates at the K too? Gates ownz!

Dave Lane
04-14-2005, 07:45 PM
ill go to a few games with my kid this year. The Royals blow monkey ass, but I still root for them. Plus its fun to go to the K, losing team and all.

I agree completely may go tomorrow night. Still fun.

Dave

Saulbadguy
04-14-2005, 07:47 PM
Isn't there a Gates at the K too? Gates ownz!
Yep. "Pyramid Pizza" as well.

My favorite gameday snack is at the "Cantina". Its the "Super Nacho" or whatever...its like 5.50 for a big plate of real nachos, not just chips and cheese. They are at the ends of the concourse though, by the old GA sections.

Saulbadguy
04-14-2005, 07:48 PM
Yup..always a good time. If I lived in Kansas City i'd probably go to all of em. FYI, they have lots of good specials for kids. Next sunday for sure, they have Autographs, "Run the bases" where you can get on the field after the game and run around, and kids eat free.

milkman
04-14-2005, 08:16 PM

They might field competitive teams, but when was the last time any of these teams went to the WS.

Deberg_1990
04-14-2005, 08:18 PM
They might field competitive teams, but when was the last time any of these teams went to the WS.

2003 the Marlins won it all.

Sure-Oz
04-14-2005, 09:25 PM
Can we say firesale? They bought that championship.

Hammock Parties
04-14-2005, 09:28 PM
Jeez, you guys haven't even played ten games.

The Rangers are 4-6 but I'm not panicking. As soon as we get our bullpen guys back we're going to be just fine.

Things are looking up the way I see it. We finally got a third starter to complement Kenny Rogers and Ryan Drese in Pedro Astacio, who appears to be making a comeback of sorts. Throw in the fact that Chan Ho Park actually pitched really well the other night and this could be the best Texas pitching staff in years.

J Diddy
04-14-2005, 10:26 PM
You should give up on the royals and follow the Springfield Cardinals. About the same caliber of players. Went to one of their games the other night and had a blast. Good game too.

crossbow
04-14-2005, 11:16 PM
All those years of losing games 15 to 12 because we had a great offense with no pitching and when we finaly get good pitching we can't hit. Too bad we let all those great outfielders get away and got little for them.

Well at least they got rid of:

Jason Giambi
Carlos Beltran
Germain Dye
Johhny Daman

Losing those guys was bad enough but when you are too cheap to resign Ebonyes then you deserve to lose. I hate Allard Baird. If you even think about having a favorite player he lets the guy walk. I guess his plan is to keep fans away because it is working well.

Duck Dog
04-15-2005, 05:09 AM

Twins being the exception, I agree.

death7star
04-15-2005, 05:33 AM
the 2003 championship was not bought.

we had a payroll of 50 million dollars.
that is hardly buying it.

we won with talent.

we are also a small market team. as you can see we will slowly lose our players cause we can't afford them. penny traded. pavano let go. burnett will be let go this year.

the Talking Can
04-15-2005, 05:43 AM
Twins being the exception, I agree.

Have the twins sniffed a World Series recently?

It seems to me that the best small market teams can hope for is to do EVERYTHING exactly right for a few years and make the playoffs. While larger market teams can make mistake after mistke after mistake and still afford to assemble teams capable of advancing in the playoffs.

The Royals are a farm team masquerading as a big league team. And baseball seems ok with that, which is why I can't stand watching baseball anymore.

Eleazar
04-15-2005, 06:00 AM
Jason Giambi

Actually, we got rid of his brother Jeremy, who sucked then and still does now.

Eleazar
04-15-2005, 06:06 AM
Have the twins sniffed a World Series recently?

It seems to me that the best small market teams can hope for is to do EVERYTHING exactly right for a few years and make the playoffs. While larger market teams can make mistake after mistke after mistake and still afford to assemble teams capable of advancing in the playoffs.

Everyone points to OAK and MIN as the small market can succeed model, but I haven't seen them hoisting any trophies. And neither would any of those teams be making the playoffs playing in the AL East or something. They have the benefits of playing in anemic divisions where they probably only have 1 real team for competition most years.

The best a small market team can do is stockpile talent all over the field and hope it all comes up to the ML level at the same time, while your 2 or maybe 3 year window is open. If you end up like the Royals, where something is missing like the hitting and D is there bit pitching isn't, it doesn't work.

Anyway, back on topic, it's about that time of year (less than 2 weeks into the season), where the usual people are manning the lifeboats and posting OMGAZ WALLMART! threads. Go ahead, the rest of us won't miss you. See you again in a couple years when the weather is better.

Deberg_1990
04-15-2005, 06:12 AM
Actually, we got rid of his brother Jeremy, who sucked then and still does now.

Yep, one case where being "juiced up" failed to help the guy. I really thought he was going to be something special when he was in the minors. Hes been a huge bust at the Major League level.

StcChief
04-15-2005, 07:26 AM
AAA Royals.

KCWolfman
04-15-2005, 07:27 AM

Mr. Wal Mart
Allen Baird
Tony Pena
The position coaches
The scouts
The Players

Crap flows straight downhill....
Is this the same Tony Pena you guys were touting two years ago?

Eleazar
04-15-2005, 07:33 AM
Is this the same Tony Pena you guys were touting two years ago?

He's fine as a manager. We've not really seen what he can do with reasonable talent except in 03, when he posted a winning record. Course I don't agree with everything he does, but you are never going to have a coach or manager who you do always agree with.

When they were winning, he was our savior, now that they are not winning, he's sucked all along.

beavis
04-15-2005, 08:06 AM
He's fine as a manager. We've not really seen what he can do with reasonable talent except in 03, when he posted a winning record. Course I don't agree with everything he does, but you are never going to have a coach or manager who you do always agree with.

When they were winning, he was our savior, now that they are not winning, he's sucked all along.
I'd like to know what he's done to be considered "fine" as a manager. All I've seen him do is mismanage the pitching staff and take playing time away from the younger guys with promise. Being a heckuva nice guy will only get you so far.

beavis
04-15-2005, 08:07 AM
BTW, I think it should be a rule on the Planet that the daily "Royals suck" thread should be up by 8AM at the latest. Right after the savethe****ingrabbit.com thread.

PunkinDrublic
04-15-2005, 08:16 AM
I think the disparity in baseball definately diminishes the world series winners who have won in this era. When you win a title and only have to worry about a handful of teams that can stockpile talent it really isn't the same as say when the Royals won it when everybody had a chance to field a competitive team.

KCWolfman
04-15-2005, 08:24 AM
I think the disparity in baseball definately diminishes the world series winners who have won in this era. When you win a title and only have to worry about a handful of teams that can stockpile talent it really isn't the same as say when the Royals won it when everybody had a chance to field a competitive team.
There has always been disparity of sorts.

The Yanks owned the 50s and no one thinks less of those championships today. They were paying Berra, DiMaggio, Rizutto, Ford, and Mantle hand over fist what other players were earning.

Brock
04-15-2005, 08:26 AM
Anyway, back on topic, it's about that time of year (less than 2 weeks into the season), where the usual people are manning the lifeboats and posting OMGAZ WALLMART! threads. Go ahead, the rest of us won't miss you. See you again in a couple years when the weather is better.

I take that to mean you think the Royals will be competitive in a couple of years. I have to ask, why on earth would you think that?

I'm a Royals fan from the 70s. I can still remember going out to the park when it was sold out damn near every game. But the fact is, today I can't fathom why anyone pays any real attention to the team at all. I really don't think you will ever see a truly competitive team in KC ever again.

gblowfish
04-15-2005, 09:12 AM
Here's what kills me. Saturday night is the first big promotion night. It's John Buck Batting Jersey night. Whoo hoo! The bum is hitting .138.
.138!!!!! And they're giving away his jersey? That makes sense.

Happy Happy Joy Joy.

These guys are makin me crazy. What a joke. If I'm John Buck, I'm not looking forward to Saturday night at all. Yikes.

CoMoChief
04-15-2005, 09:19 AM
Our farm system is actually one of the best in the league. It's just whenever someone comes out of their shell to have a great year, we trade them. Think of what it would be like if we still had Dye, Damon, and Beltran in the outfield.

beavis
04-15-2005, 09:21 AM
I take that to mean you think the Royals will be competitive in a couple of years. I have to ask, why on earth would you think that?

I'm a Royals fan from the 70s. I can still remember going out to the park when it was sold out damn near every game. But the fact is, today I can't fathom why anyone pays any real attention to the team at all. I really don't think you will ever see a truly competitive team in KC ever again.
Real change is coming. The players won't have any leverage left at all. They know if they strike again, it'll kill the game. That's essentially what happened last time, but it'll be even more in the owners favor this time around.

beavis
04-15-2005, 09:22 AM
Our farm system is actually one of the best in the league. It's just whenever someone comes out of their shell to have a great year, we trade them. Think of what it would be like if we still had Dye, Damon, and Beltran in the outfield.
Umm, no it isn't. Hasn't been for a long time now. At least since Mr. K died. That's why the likes of Oakland and Minnesota have been able to be competitive and we haven't. It is getting better though, I will give Baird credit for that.

beavis
04-15-2005, 09:24 AM
The bum is hitting .138.
I'd hardly call him a bum. He's off to a bad start, but he's not here for his offense. He made an unbelivable throw on Wednesday to pick a guy off second. If he batted .260 and hit 20 home runs, that would be more than enough.

ChiefsCountry
04-15-2005, 09:24 AM
I like how everybody says Florida, Minnesota, and Oakland are small market teams. Miami is #12, Minneapolis is #13 in market size, and throw in the whole Bay Area and Oakland is #4. Not really small IMO. Florida and Minnesota are just considered small bc they play in the crappy fb stadiums.

Brock
04-15-2005, 09:25 AM
Real change is coming. The players won't have any leverage left at all. They know if they strike again, it'll kill the game. That's essentially what happened last time, but it'll be even more in the owners favor this time around.

even if you get the players under control, the large market teams will not give up their competitive advantage. So no, real change is not coming.

beavis
04-15-2005, 09:26 AM
even if you get the players under control, the large market teams will not give up their competitive advantage. So no, real change is not coming.
Huh? A new labor deal will involve more salary restraint than the luxury tax that is already in place, and more revenue sharing. It reaches a point eventually where even the Yankees can't keep spending money without going into the red.

Brock
04-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Huh? A new labor deal will involve more salary restraint than the luxury tax that is already in place, and more revenue sharing. It reaches a point eventually where even the Yankees can't keep spending money without going into the red.

I don't know what makes you think that.

ChiefsCountry
04-15-2005, 09:31 AM
The NFL should thank Wellington Mara every day and not being a greedy bastard and doing what was right for the game and not for themselves.

gblowfish
04-15-2005, 09:35 AM
I'd hardly call him a bum. He's off to a bad start, but he's not here for his offense. He made an unbelivable throw on Wednesday to pick a guy off second. If he batted .260 and hit 20 home runs, that would be more than enough.Dude, I appreciate your optimism. But the cold hard stats say that up to this point he blows. In the last 7 days he's 1 for 18 with 1 walk. His LIFETIME average is .225. He stranded the bases loaded yesterday while the game was still in reach. Giving away his "batting" jersey is ludicrous and humiliating. It would be like the Chiefs having William Bartee Appreciation Night!

Buck's stats are here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7056

beavis
04-15-2005, 09:36 AM
I don't know what makes you think that.
Well, it got better last time, I seriously doubt they would take a step backwards. The only owner not on board now is Steinbrenner, and they can always override him. The playing field won't be level, but it'll take big step forward after 2007.

SCTrojan
04-15-2005, 09:36 AM

I can only speak for myself, but I see some reasons to have hope. At least we don't have Jeff King/Chuck Knoblauch/Neifi Perez/Name the aging veteran dominating our lineup.

They have looked pretty bad the past three days, John Buck can't hit his butt with both hands and the bullpen is getting beat like a redheaded stepchild, but I can see a plan.

It may not work in the end, but it's centered around good starting pitching and it's a plan.

Ultimately, it's my belief in a just God that keeps me believing that the Royals will once again win the World Series. :)

bricks
04-15-2005, 09:38 AM
Hey man...Go Bluejays!!:D

Saulbadguy
04-15-2005, 09:39 AM
Its all about pitching.

Brock
04-15-2005, 09:42 AM
Ultimately, it's my belief in a just God that keeps me believing that the Royals will once again win the World Series. :)

If God ran baseball they would have a chance. I personally have no faith whatsoever that the haves in the game are going to do what's right for the game.

Demonpenz
04-15-2005, 09:53 AM
I am just glad the royals aren't wasting Hall of fame talent like the chiefs

SCTrojan
04-15-2005, 09:54 AM
If God ran baseball they would have a chance. I personally have no faith whatsoever that the haves in the game are going to do what's right for the game.

I think there are two culprits in making baseball a game of haves and have-nots: The owners in the large markets and the players association. Neither are much concerned about the overall health of the game.

In a sense, I can't blame them. They look after their own self-interest - owners to win and players to get as much money as they can get. I'd probably do the same thing in their position.

Fans have the power to address the imbalance by boycotting the game, not buying merchandise, etc., but they don't. Myself included.

Still, I think people always find a way. The Yankees bought a lot of arms in the offseason, but they are in no way a lock to win it all. Same with the Red Sox, Angels and Mets. The Marlins found a way in 2003. I think others will as well.

The formula is pitching. In a seven-game series, the best pitching nearly always wins. You have to get there, but once there, the advantage isn't as pronounced as in a 162-game regular season.

Ninjaman
04-15-2005, 11:36 AM
God !

Are we all jumping ship already.

I want none of you guys on my side if this country get taken over by invaders !

It's still way early.

This pitching staff is BETTER than last years.

Wait for the bats. You will be rewarded .

ChiefsCountry
04-15-2005, 12:26 PM
Dude, I appreciate your optimism. But the cold hard stats say that up to this point he blows. In the last 7 days he's 1 for 18 with 1 walk. His LIFETIME average is .225. He stranded the bases loaded yesterday while the game was still in reach. Giving away his "batting" jersey is ludicrous and humiliating. It would be like the Chiefs having William Bartee Appreciation Night!

Buck's stats are here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7056

Dude, the jersey thing isn't about his playing ability. Its his last name -"Buck", giving it away on Buck Night. Its pure marketing.

gblowfish
04-15-2005, 02:32 PM
Dude, the jersey thing isn't about his playing ability. Its his last name -"Buck", giving it away on Buck Night. Its pure marketing.That theory might hold water if Buck Night were Saturday. Buck night is actually tonight (Friday) with fireworks.

I'm just saying what other teams in baseball would give out batting jerseys for a guy with a .138 stick? That's an embarassment in my eyes. What's next? A Fred Patek Growth Poster?

tk13
04-15-2005, 02:39 PM
I don't think we expected Buck to be hitting .138 at this point... the last two months of last season he really got comfortable and hit the ball really well, hit something like .280 over that span with 12 homers... if we can get that John Buck he's going to be a force at the plate. If not, he's still very smooth behind the plate, and good defensively, which is probably the most important thing for a good catcher. Plus he seems to have become a leader already. Even if he hits only.250 and about 15 homers total, he'll be a slightly better version of Mike Macfarlane, and that's a good thing. I think he's got more power than that though. It fits in well with the youth movement I think, maybe it would've been better to have DeJesus jersey night first, but I like the idea of trying to sell the young players to the fans in general...

alanm
04-15-2005, 02:42 PM

I'm generally ok with Pena. But why must it be that the Royals always seem to give mngrs. their first job in the Major leagues? What irks me is we could have had Buck Showalter who is a proven commodity. But they went with Pena ( Former catcher) because of the young pitchers and because he was a rah rah guy in the fashion of a Walmart door greeter. :cuss: :banghead: :cuss:

Calcountry
04-15-2005, 04:45 PM
Until there is real revenue sharing and a hard cap like football has, the Royals and most of the other small market teams will be nothing more than farm teams for the Yankees.I have been saying this for over 20 years.

Its the Quadruple A farm teams for the Real Bigleague teams.

VonneMarie
04-15-2005, 05:20 PM
With Lima pitching, they will be sucking tonight. :banghead: