PDA

View Full Version : Ebay...

Herzig
04-15-2005, 05:40 AM
For anyone who doesn't know me, I am an Ebay "whore". I mostly buy and sell golf clubs, but I also get rid of stuff I no longer want or buy art or whatever there.

My point is...why do people even bother bidding on things 3 or 4 days before an auction closes? Do they really think that they have a chance of winning the item then? I could understand going out of town, but bidding so early only serves to drive up the price.

Redcoats58
04-15-2005, 05:43 AM
For anyone who doesn't know me, I am an Ebay "whore". I mostly buy and sell golf clubs, but I also get rid of stuff I no longer want or buy art or whatever there.

My point is...why do people even bother bidding on things 3 or 4 days before an auction closes? Do they really think that they have a chance of winning the item then? I could understand going out jof town, but bidding so early only serves to drive up the price.
This baffles me also. These people that bid early just drive up the price for the person who is actually gonna buy the item.

Skip Towne
04-15-2005, 05:55 AM
I think bidding early drives the prices up.

Pants
04-15-2005, 05:58 AM
Probably the friends of the sellers trying to drive the price up. You know, bidding early drives the prices up.

Eleazar
04-15-2005, 05:58 AM
Every time I buy something I either buy it now, or much more commonly, snipe the item in the last 30 seconds of the auction.

HemiEd
04-15-2005, 06:03 AM
I spend a lot of time ebaying also. If I find something that I would like to have, I will thow a bid on it that I think is reasonable. If no one else bids, I get it. If they bid higher, I don't get it, no problem. If it is something I want bad, I will wait until the last 30-50 seconds of the auction, but I hate doing it on their schedule. I was burned one time by a seller ending his auction in the last two minutes on an item I was waiting to bid on. It was a set of 426 Hemi intake bolts that are worth at least a hundred dollars and no one had bid on them. I was in the process of placing a bid when he ended the auction.

Herzig
04-15-2005, 06:16 AM
I think bidding early drives the prices up.

Really?

Just wanted to let you know that I'm taking a personal day today to play 36 holes with my friends...It's a beeeauutiful day!!! How's Tulsa? You settled yet?

NewChief
04-15-2005, 06:29 AM
Really?

Just wanted to let you know that I'm taking a personal day today to play 36 holes with my friends...It's a beeeauutiful day!!! How's Tulsa? You settled yet?

Bastard. I wish I were taking a personal day, today. Where you playing? (not that I even play, but my FIL in Bella Vista does, and he keeps me up to date on the courses in the area).

Rain Man
04-15-2005, 08:04 AM
I bet that they're bidding early in the hopes that they'll drive the price up because they've got an identical item that they're going to put on E-Bay next week.

KCWolfman
04-15-2005, 08:20 AM
I have bid on stuff early and never had another bid placed against it.

If it is a common item (PC parts, video games, etc) I don't waste my time because I know I will be outbid. But several household items we have won with only a single bid placed only hours after the original item went up on the board.

jspchief
04-15-2005, 08:22 AM
I bid early all the time. I put in my proxy and forget about it. A few days later I'll check to see if I won.

The only time I snipe is if it's something that I really want or something that's an unusual listing. Since most of the crap on there is a common listing, if I miss one auction, I'll catch on the next one.

Saulbadguy
04-15-2005, 08:28 AM
I bid early all the time. I put in my proxy and forget about it. A few days later I'll check to see if I won.

The only time I snipe is if it's something that I really want or something that's an unusual listing. Since most of the crap on there is a common listing, if I miss one auction, I'll catch on the next one.
Yup. This is the best way to do it. Enter in the maximum amount you'd be willing to pay for an item, or you may find yourself in a "bid war"..where your main objective turns into outbidding "sexydude82@aol.com", rather than winning the item itself.

Radar Chief
04-15-2005, 08:32 AM
I spend a lot of time ebaying also. If I find something that I would like to have, I will thow a bid on it that I think is reasonable. If no one else bids, I get it. If they bid higher, I don't get it, no problem. If it is something I want bad, I will wait until the last 30-50 seconds of the auction, but I hate doing it on their schedule. I was burned one time by a seller ending his auction in the last two minutes on an item I was waiting to bid on. It was a set of 426 Hemi intake bolts that are worth at least a hundred dollars and no one had bid on them. I was in the process of placing a bid when he ended the auction.

I do ‘bout the same thing with ‘bout the same results.
Got a $2300 spun aluminum race wheel for the back of my bike for $400 cause no one else even bid on it. Also missed out on a hard top and doors for the Corveep by waiting for the last moment and the guy pulled the auction.
:shrug: It happens.

HemiEd
04-15-2005, 08:57 AM
I do ‘bout the same thing with ‘bout the same results.
Got a $2300 spun aluminum race wheel for the back of my bike for $400 cause no one else even bid on it. Also missed out on a hard top and doors for the Corveep by waiting for the last moment and the guy pulled the auction.
:shrug: It happens.

Yep, when they pull an auction that you have not even bid on, it is hard to raise any kind of stink about it. What is a Corveep?
Funny thing, when I opened this thread this morning, I had just finished putting a $60 bid on a new set of polished alluminum tall valve covers that ends Sunday. If I get them for that fine, if not that is fine also. I have a lot of fun on Ebay. UPS guy knows us well. He is always glad when he does not have a real heavy part to deliver. I came home to heck of a stack of parts yesterday for this new boat motor. :p

Athis
04-15-2005, 09:01 AM
I really can't stand the POS that bids 1 or 2 bucks at a time until they have outbid you. This is the reason that I always snipe.

Bwana
04-15-2005, 09:06 AM
Ebay has been treating me well over the last month. I have been picking of several lots of flies for next to nothing. Every set has been the same quality as the fly shops as well.

Rain Man
04-15-2005, 09:18 AM
I know what you mean, bwana. You can pick mosquitoes on ebay really cheaply, too. I think they import them from third-world countries.

HemiEd
04-15-2005, 09:20 AM
Ebay has been treating me well over the last month. I have been picking of several lots of flies for next to nothing. Every set has been the same quality as the fly shops as well.

I had never thought about buying flies Ebay, guess it would be just like everything else. The Broad that came up with it (ebay) is doing OK I think. :)

Radar Chief
04-15-2005, 10:58 AM
What is a Corveep?

This is a Corveep.
It’s a cross between a ’64 L76 Corvette and a ’60 Willy’s CJ-5.

ptlyon
04-15-2005, 11:07 AM

If you forget about it, how do you remember to go back to see if you've won?

jspchief
04-15-2005, 11:12 AM
If you forget about it, how do you remember to go back to see if you've won?I'm not sure if you're serious or just being a smartass.

By "forget about it" I mean "don't worry about it again until the auction is over".

ptlyon
04-15-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm not sure if you're serious or just being a smartass.

Better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Not saying that you are a dumbass. Just a saying I have when someone calls me a smartass.

SCTrojan
04-15-2005, 11:18 AM
Like some of the others, if it's something that's fairly common, I'll place the opening bid with my max and forget about it. Or if I won't be around a computer, I'll do the same.

Normally, though, I'm a last-second swooper.

PastorMikH
04-15-2005, 11:19 AM
Actually, the set of clubs I recently purchased from there didn have any bidders so I threw up the low bid to get the link in my email (which saves me a half a dozen page openings everytime I want to check on the status of what I am looking at). I had low bid for 4 days, ended up getting the clubs for the low bid.

Usually though, if there is already a bidder and my schedule allows, I wait until the last 3-4 seconds to put up my max bid. Yeah, it's kinda cheesey to do that, but if I don't someone else will do it to me. You gotta play the game like everyone else does if you want to win. I've also found that if I wait, I don't have time to sit there and talk myself into paying more than I should 'cause the urge to win is there. I simply don't have time to do another bid.

PastorMikH
04-15-2005, 11:24 AM
What is a Corveep?

Its got enough Corvette to be really fast, and enough Jeep to be not running at the moment (according to another thread anyway).

:fire:

Mike Grose
04-15-2005, 11:39 AM
I bid early because I probably won't be back around again until the auction is over anyway. I get e-mail if I'm outbid. If I really want it, I may go back before the auction is over and try again.

HemiEd
04-15-2005, 11:41 AM
This is a Corveep.
It’s a cross between a ’64 L76 Corvette and a ’60 Willy’s CJ-5.

Its got enough Corvette to be really fast, and enough Jeep to be not running at the moment (according to another thread anyway).

Thanks, what part of it is Corvette besides the 327 Engine? It sounds kind of fun.

Radar Chief
04-15-2005, 11:46 AM

You should’a read a little closer. (http://67.18.68.69/BB/showthread.php?t=111666) I’ve been driving it to work the last couple of days. :thumb:

Radar Chief
04-15-2005, 11:49 AM
Thanks, what part of it is Corvette besides the 327 Engine? It sounds kind of fun.

Well, up until just recently it had the T-10 close ratio 4-speed transmission, but I replaced that with an SM420 transmission, and the gauges and gauge panel. Only Jeep I’ve ever seen with a 160 MPH speedometer. :)

HemiEd
04-15-2005, 12:02 PM
Well, up until just recently it had the T-10 close ratio 4-speed transmission, but I replaced that with an SM420 transmission, and the gauges and gauge panel. Only Jeep I’ve ever seen with a 160 MPH speedometer. :)

I just read the other thread, I do not know how I missed a "gearhead" thread previously. Sounds like a lot of fun, when I first read your mention of a "Corveep", I thought you might have put some form of a Corvair body on a Jeep chassis. No insult intended! ROFL

Radar Chief
04-15-2005, 12:11 PM
I just read the other thread, I do not know how I missed a "gearhead" thread previously. Sounds like a lot of fun, when I first read your mention of a "Corveep", I thought you might have put some form of a Corvair body on a Jeep chassis. No insult intended! ROFL

I was kinda disappointed I didn’t hear from ya on that topic, but if a topic isn’t get’n much traffic it’ll drop back several pages in a hurry so I understand.
Same with the Pastor, he’s good guy. For a RICER! ;)

HemiEd
04-15-2005, 12:33 PM
I was kinda disappointed I didn’t hear from ya on that topic, but if a topic isn’t get’n much traffic it’ll drop back several pages in a hurry so I understand.

Yep if I had not missed the thread, it would have been fun watching your progress. :banghead:
Pastor drives a Ricer? ROFL

Radar Chief
04-15-2005, 12:52 PM
Yep if I had not missed the thread, it would have been fun watching your progress. :banghead:
Pastor drives a Ricer? ROFL

Yup, one of our own has gone over to the dark side.
Next thing ya know you’ll see his Land Cruiser lowered, drive’n ‘round with a fart can exhaust and NOS stickers all over it.
He’s probably searching the internet right now for a cheap set of 20” rims and some Spinaz. :fire:

HemiEd
04-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Yup, one of our own has gone over to the dark side.
Next thing ya know you’ll see his Land Cruiser lowered, drive’n ‘round with a fart can exhaust and NOS stickers all over it.
He’s probably searching the internet right now for a cheap set of 20” rims and some Spinaz. :fire:

Speaking of ricers: I just went home at lunch and picked up the Cuda since it is such a nice day. You would not believe what was parked down the street. If I had not been in such a hurry I would have taken pictures to post. It was the ugliest conglomeration of bolt on shit you have ever seen on a jap car. It had one of those triple wings that smashed the trunk and the whole deal. The paint was absolutly butt ugly, must have been a Krylon project, black and red. ROFL ROFL ROFL

Radar Chief
04-15-2005, 01:37 PM
Speaking of ricers: I just went home at lunch and picked up the Cuda since it is such a nice day. You would not believe what was parked down the street. If I had not been in such a hurry I would have taken pictures to post. It was the ugliest conglomeration of bolt on shit you have ever seen on a jap car. It had one of those triple wings that smashed the trunk and the whole deal. The paint was absolutly butt ugly, must have been a Krylon project, black and red. ROFL ROFL ROFL

I was think’n ‘bout this last time we talked ricers, but that movie “the Fast and the Furious” is probably the worst thing that could’ve happened to the real import drag racers.
Because of guys like the Bergenholtz brothers import drag racers were gaining some serious respect but since that stupid azz movie every punk kid with a fart can exhaust on his Tercel thinks he’s frick’n Vin Diesel. :rolleyes:
One of my friends that was riding his 1200 Triumph Daytona had a punk kid in a Civic try’n to challenge him yesterday. :shake: ROFL

Demonpenz
04-15-2005, 01:40 PM
Fast and the furous no doubt sucks, but if a kid wants to take pride in his shitty car, good for him. Maybe he can get pizza's to me faster

Radar Chief
04-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Fast and the furous no doubt sucks, but if a kid wants to take pride in his shitty car, good for him. Maybe he can get pizza's to me faster

There’s nothing wrong with it, and like you say more power to’em, but the ones that think just because they’ve added a stupid looking wing to the back and NOS stickers all over that they’re gonna run on Vipers absolutely slay me.

Radar Chief
04-15-2005, 01:56 PM
BTW, sorry for stealing your topic Herzig.

HemiEd
04-15-2005, 01:59 PM
There’s nothing wrong with it, and like you say more power to’em, but the ones that think just because they’ve added a stupid looking wing to the back and NOS stickers all over that they’re gonna run on Vipers absolutely slay me.

Yeah, they run in the "10s". ROFL Some of them should be against the law, they are so fugging ugly , they might cause an accident or something. If I would have seen that one today going the other direction, I might have ran into a tree staring it down in disbelief. ROFL

Radar Chief
04-15-2005, 02:34 PM
I guess we shouldn’t be trash talk’n ricers, there are dumbazzes in all circles. Check out this Jeep, pay close attention to the pictures and just how it’s modified.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4539103426&category=6280

I wouldn’t crap in this guys hand for that unsafe POS, much less give him $10K for it. :shake:

Skip Towne
04-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Really?

I just hope you don't come back with some bullshit story about joining up with Matt Jones.

HemiEd
04-15-2005, 03:38 PM
I guess we shouldn’t be trash talk’n ricers, there are dumbazzes in all circles. Check out this Jeep, pay close attention to the pictures and just how it’s modified.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4539103426&category=6280

I wouldn’t crap in this guys hand for that unsafe POS, much less give him $10K for it. :shake:

What engine did yours have originally? I looked in the old thread and either missed it or it was not there. A four banger? I bet you have really had to change a lot of stuff.

Herzig
04-15-2005, 05:27 PM
I just hope you don't come back with some bullshit story about joining up with Matt Jones.

Hey!! I've got a witness beeottch!!
ROFL

We played Lost Springs and had a great time. It was perfect out there!

dtebbe
04-15-2005, 08:21 PM
I can't imagine wasting time placing standard bids. Once you've done auctionsniper.com you will never go back. It has saved me thousands. Anyone who wants to try it for free, drop me a smoke and I will send you an invite. I've been using it for about 2 years now, it just works.

DT

Over-Head
04-15-2005, 08:40 PM
I can't imagine wasting time placing standard bids. Once you've done auctionsniper.com you will never go back. It has saved me thousands. Anyone who wants to try it for free, drop me a smoke and I will send you an invite. I've been using it for about 2 years now, it just works.

DT
Ya sneaky bastage!
That's just the kind of low down dirty (so close to cheating it ain't funny) thing I’d expect a Chief's fan to find. :mad:

I’m creating my account right now :thumb:

PastorMikH
04-15-2005, 11:34 PM

There's just something about a dependable ride that always gets you home.

The only problem I have with my LandCruiser is the second full seat. When you go hunting, everyone wants to ride with you because 3-4 guys in a pickup is really, really crowded and that way they all get their own window to shoot out of. Problem is, it's MY gas that gets burned up all day instead of thiers.

go bo
04-15-2005, 11:50 PM
There's just something about a dependable ride that always gets you home.

The only problem I have with my LandCruiser is the second full seat. When you go hunting, everyone wants to ride with you because 3-4 guys in a pickup is really, really crowded and that way they all get their own window to shoot out of. Problem is, it's MY gas that gets burned up all day instead of thiers.well, that's easy enough to fix...

just put a few coffee cans at strategic locations in the front and back seat areas...

think of them as collection plates... :D :D :D