PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical 2005 D with Ware and Surtain

chiefscafan
04-15-2005, 07:05 PM
I was just currious what it would look life so baring any d draft picks who could start and saying warfield isn't suspended.

here goes:

DE: Jared Allen
DT: Ryan Sims (pushed by Savila)
DT: Lional Dalton
DE: Carlos Hall

OLB: Demarcus Ware
MLB: Kendrell Bell
OLB: Scott Fujita

CB: Eric Warfield
CB: Patrick Surtain
SS: Sammy Knight
FS: Jerome Woods or Greg Wesley

I like the look of this D alot of pressure on the qb strong cbs and hard hitting safeties.

It may struggle at first but will get stronger as the season progresses

milkman
04-15-2005, 07:11 PM
I seriously doubt that Hall starts ahead of Hicks.
he's going to be the B/U to Allen, with Browning in the rotation behind Hicks and the DTs.

|Zach|
04-15-2005, 07:12 PM
It may struggle at first but will get stronger as the season progresses
I am more so worried about it the other way around.

Even last year our defense did not start out to bad then they faded away to crapiness.

beer bacon
04-15-2005, 07:13 PM
Why would we draft Ware? Burnett seems just as talented and fits our hole at WSLB much better. We could also draft him later then Ware.

Logical
04-15-2005, 07:16 PM
Just for your info, Siavii plays the same gap as Dalton not Sims, so if he is pushing anyone it will be Dalton.

Frankie
I was just currious what it would look life so baring any d draft picks who could start and saying warfield isn't suspended.

here goes:

DE: Jared Allen
DT: Ryan Sims (pushed by Savila)
DT: Lional Dalton
DE: Carlos Hall

I think you are giving Savila too little credit.

chiefscafan
you gotta have faith guys the more I hear about ware the more i'd like that suggestion. Guys what if this guy was the next great LB and we got him at 15.

So minus some mix up on Hicks etc. what do you guys think of this d.

milkman
Why would we draft Ware? Burnett seems just as talented and fits our hole at WSLB much better. We could also draft him later then Ware.

Same for Blackstock.

LBs in the draft in order of preference.

DJ
Daryl Blackstock
Kevin Burnett
Channing Crowder

Ware wasn't even on the radar screen a couple of months ago.

Chiefnj
I just don't think the Chiefs can afford a project with the 1st round pick.

It usually takes years for players to fully adjust to a new position and the Chiefs just aren't that good at doing it on defense.

beer bacon
04-15-2005, 07:19 PM
Same for Blackstock.

LBs in the draft in order of preference.

DJ
Daryl Blackstock
Kevin Burnett
Channing Crowder

Ware wasn't even on the radar screen a couple of months ago.

I don't want a pure blitzer. I like Burnett because he is solid all around. I wouldn't feel comfortable with Blackstock or Ware unless we picked up another FA LB.

The Bad Guy
04-15-2005, 07:22 PM
I just don't think the Chiefs can afford a project with the 1st round pick.

It usually takes years for players to fully adjust to a new position and the Chiefs just aren't that good at doing it on defense.

Which is exactly why it will probably happen.

The Chiefs have a napoleon complex about drafting. They think they are high and mighty, but they are just a little guy competing with the big boys.

They think they can afford to take raw players like Siavii and even Ryan Sims. The Chiefs fall in love with people who perform at the combine and college all-star games. They love the guy who performed his senior year and doesn't look at the whole picture.

Ware may turn out to be a fine player, but he wouldn't become that in KC. They need someone who has played ONE position for 4 years and has excelled at it for more than 1 year.

If Johnson is gone, which is very likely, give me Carlos Rogers and pair him with Surtain and have your corner duo for the next 5 years.

chiefscafan
04-15-2005, 07:25 PM
Why the fascination with Carlos Rodgers? Guys he's good but he isn't god's gift to football.

Frankie
04-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Why the fascination with Carlos Rodgers? Guys he's good but he isn't god's gift to football.

He's the most realistic fit for our 'D' in this draft.

milkman
04-15-2005, 07:32 PM
He's the most realistic fit for our 'D' in this draft.

And because he is the more likely to be there at 15.

keg in kc
04-15-2005, 07:50 PM
We need a well-rounded linebacker (i.e. with some coverage skills) a lot more than we need another pass rusher.

TEX
04-15-2005, 07:59 PM
I seriously doubt that Hall starts ahead of Hicks.
he's going to be the B/U to Allen, with Browning in the rotation behind Hicks and the DTs.

I agree. Hall is here to be part of the rotation unless he kicks major ass in the preseason.

htismaqe
04-15-2005, 08:51 PM
We need a well-rounded linebacker (i.e. with some coverage skills) a lot more than we need another pass rusher.

Yep.

The Bad Guy
04-15-2005, 08:55 PM

I'd rather draft a corner who has played the position more than 1 year and who has played well over taking another combine/senior bowl warrior.

Ware isn't god's gift either, but you seem to be pimping him..

I don't expect Rogers to be a savior, but I don't want a "hybrid or tweener" pick again. I'm sick of them.

Tribal Warfare
04-15-2005, 09:33 PM
Guys we can get DJ if he's in the #9 to #11 range, and get Surtain with this years 4th and next years 2nd rounder

TEX
04-15-2005, 09:37 PM
Guys we can get DJ if he's in the #9 to #11 range, and get Surtain with this years 4th and next years 2nd rounder

Says who? Everything I've read says that Miami is not backing off their demands of a 2nd this year. Have you heard otherwise? :hmmm:

Tribal Warfare
04-15-2005, 09:47 PM
Says who? Everything I've read says that Miami is not backing off their demands of a 2nd this year. Have you heard otherwise?

The Dolphins said they wanted a 2nd or 3rd , but Carl's offering just a 4th so far for this year. If KC adds 2nd or 3rd to the table for next year then it would change the whole situation, and Miami will give the Chiefs Surtain.

Manila-Chief
04-15-2005, 11:41 PM
you gotta have faith guys the more I hear about ware the more i'd like that suggestion. Guys what if this guy was the next great LB and we got him at 15.

But, suppose he turns out to be just another one of Kingless' reaches??? With our window of opportunity closing fast, can we afford a gamble like this? Yea, he may turn out to be better than DT. But, "may" can be truned into false promise real easily.

I like Carlos Rogers, also, because he played in a big time football conference, for a big time program, as was said above he played well for more than a few games, and he gathered a couple of post season awards. He fits Gun's model of a CB ... can cover, is physical, fairly fast, and just sounds like a solid choice. He may not become the next Dale Carter but with his stats, etc. he ought to be a solid player with a chance for greatness...

Now, I agree, if we get Surtain and Warfield is not supsended, then our need for drafting a CB in the first round is greatly deminshed. We can take the best available player.

I have no idea who will be on the board when we pick in later rounds. But, if we were to have a 2nd. round pick maybe get Webster out of LSU .... who just might turn out to be the better CB??? I also like .... is it Williamson out of So. C. ... the W.R. ... I hear he is extremely fast. If we get Surtain I would not be opposed to selecting him????

I think only our first pick has any chance of helping us much this year. Now that I've said that Kingless will select starters in th 3rd. 4th. and 6th. rounds.... oh, BTW ... I'd eat crowd gladly if he were to do that!!!!

keg in kc
04-16-2005, 12:25 AM
I'd eat crowd gladly if he were to do that!!!!There's so much I could do with that quote. It's overwhelming.

Manila-Chief
04-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Well, to save me ... wait until there is a need before your start with it. :-(

htismaqe
04-16-2005, 04:31 AM
The Dolphins said they wanted a 2nd or 3rd , but Carl's offering just a 4th so far for this year. If KC adds 2nd or 3rd to the table for next year then it would change the whole situation, and Miami will give the Chiefs Surtain.

No they didn't.

Nick Saban said he wanted a "1st-day pick" and that's all he's ever said.

Anything more is speculation.

Frankie
04-16-2005, 10:11 AM
And because he is the more likely to be there at 15.

Yep. That's partially what I meant by "realistic."

Mr. Laz
04-16-2005, 10:13 AM
yep ... Rogers is no Rich scanlon

bricks
04-16-2005, 10:20 AM
No they didn't.

Nick Saban said he wanted a "1st-day pick" and that's all he's ever said.

Anything more is speculation.

Yep...Absolutely, some people have this situation mistaken. The Dolphins want a 2nd round pick this year, cause they lost their 2nd round pick this year to Philly for A.J. Feeley.

bricks
04-16-2005, 10:29 AM

Unlikely...The Dolphins are saying they want our 2005 2nd round pick to compensate for the loss of their 2005 2nd round pick. We can get DJ if he happens to fall to #9 or #11, it is going to be very challenging. Especially if we trade our #2 for Surtain. That would leave us with a 4th, and 2 5th's this year. we have compensatory pick, but, that will do us no good since it is untradeable. So, with that being said, I don't think a 4th, and even 2 5th's are enough to move up from #15 to #9 or #11. we would have no choice but, to offer them next year's picks, and possibly our 4th this year. And, if we did that, we better hope DJ turns out to be a stud, or we are stuck with 2 5th's, 2 6th's, and 2 7th's...And, I don't like that at all.

Tribal Warfare
04-16-2005, 02:46 PM
Unlikely...The Dolphins are saying they want our 2005 2nd round pick to compensate for the loss of their 2005 2nd round pick. We can get DJ if he happens to fall to #9 or #11, it is going to be very challenging. Especially if we trade our #2 for Surtain. That would leave us with a 4th, and 2 5th's this year. we have compensatory pick, but, that will do us no good since it is untradeable. So, with that being said, I don't think a 4th, and even 2 5th's are enough to move up from #15 to #9 or #11. we would have no choice but, to offer them next year's picks, and possibly our 4th this year. And, if we did that, we better hope DJ turns out to be a stud, or we are stuck with 2 5th's, 2 6th's, and 2 7th's...And, I don't like that at all.

I'd do it because KC's window of oppurtunity is closing fast, and Saban will accept a 4th and next years 2nd. Carl's just lowballing him with 4th right now.