PDA

View Full Version : Anybody into gardening?

Fire Me Boy!
04-15-2005, 11:06 PM
I suck at it, and actually HATE to do it... but I like to reap the rewards.

So I have a bunch of strawberries and a few herbs, but I can literally kill a plastic plant (leave one on the radiator while you go to Columbia -- that should do it)... any advice besides watering it (and not overwatering it)?

Fire Me Boy!
04-18-2005, 07:04 AM
Seriously, anybody?

Mark M
04-18-2005, 07:43 AM
Find out how much water, sunlight, and type of soil (acidic/basic/neutral ... well-drained, etc.) each plant prefers and then provide the plant with those conditions.

Just a thought ...

MM
~~:spock:

MOhillbilly
04-18-2005, 07:44 AM
weeding never hurt

UTChief
04-18-2005, 08:38 AM
I realy enjoy gardening in fact I have some planted allready my peas, carrots,onions and I have others tomatoes started but I have them in a wagon and weel them out every day because it is still to cold hear if they get touched with frost it will kill them so for about 3 more weeks they go in the shop at night.

penguinz
04-18-2005, 09:33 AM
Check out Lasagna Gardening. It is really easy to do and get great results. No need to put chemical fertilizers on your food when using this method.

Rain Man
04-18-2005, 09:51 AM
Apparently, it's a big deal to get the right "microclimate." My wife will see a plant in our yard that's struggling, and she'll move it to a different part of the yard that gets more sun or more shade, and it'll recover and do fine.

Our yard's looking pretty good right now. It's that short time of year when our various ornamental trees are blooming and the flowers are starting to kick into high gear. Our yard's about 10 percent of what it could be, though, until we finish our big landscaping project.

Simplex3
04-18-2005, 09:55 AM
Apparently, it's a big deal to get the right "microclimate." My wife will see a plant in our yard that's struggling, and she'll move it to a different part of the yard that gets more sun or more shade, and it'll recover and do fine.

Our yard's looking pretty good right now. It's that short time of year when our various ornamental trees are blooming and the flowers are starting to kick into high gear. Our yard's about 10 percent of what it could be, though, until we finish our big landscaping project.
Rainman has unwittingly stumbled onto the secret of gardening: a wife. Without one we men don't stand a chance at it.

jarjar
04-18-2005, 09:57 AM
I fkin hate gardening. My solution is to let the wife do it.

Rain Man
04-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Rainman has unwittingly stumbled onto the secret of gardening: a wife. Without one we men don't stand a chance at it.

I've found the same to be true of having a clean bathroom.

Simplex3
04-18-2005, 10:04 AM
I've found the same to be true of having a clean bathroom.
You must not share that bathroom with your wife then.

We have vanity with two sinks in the master and I SWEAR I could clean my side twice a year and it would stay clean, but HER sink is thrased in days. She uses this vitamin enriched moisturizing lotion soap crap that clings to the walls of the shower, then the mold takes off in no time because it's so well nourished. We have a seperate little area with a chair and a mirror for her hair and makeup, the counter on that thing is ruined with all the s**t she has layered on top of it. No, my friend, women in a bathroom are disgusting. At least a little Lysol takes care of the horrid things I do in there.

MOhillbilly
04-18-2005, 10:15 AM
I suck at it, and actually HATE to do it... but I like to reap the rewards.

So I have a bunch of strawberries and a few herbs, but I can literally kill a plastic plant (leave one on the radiator while you go to Columbia -- that should do it)... any advice besides watering it (and not overwatering it)?
a PH test never hurt.KNowing if you need lime or 3-13 can help out alot.
Water in the early morning before the sun gets up(between(4-6am is good)
How big an area do you have? Herbs you just let go strawberries can be tricky. What kind of problems are you having?
When you plant maters alittle bonemeal in the hole and bit of fertalizer.Soakerhose and any mulch BUT cedar in the garden.

Alittle more info.

Fire Me Boy!
04-18-2005, 12:23 PM
a PH test never hurt.KNowing if you need lime or 3-13 can help out alot.
Water in the early morning before the sun gets up(between(4-6am is good)
How big an area do you have? Herbs you just let go strawberries can be tricky. What kind of problems are you having?
When you plant maters alittle bonemeal in the hole and bit of fertalizer.Soakerhose and any mulch BUT cedar in the garden.

Alittle more info.
The strawberry bed started as about 4x8-foot, but quickly took over and is now the whole 8x8 foot plot. Herbs (rosemary, oregano, chives, basil... usual perennial stuff)... I've been using straw as my mulch for a couple of years now, plus Miracle Grow's anti-weed stuff.

As for watering... I get to 'em about 7:30 a.m. -- 4 a.m.???? YEAH RIGHT! I'm not getting up that early to water the damn plants.

Trench
04-18-2005, 12:53 PM
I know crap about gardening, but they do make water timers. Westlake would probably have one.

Fire Me Boy!
04-18-2005, 01:05 PM
I know crap about gardening, but they do make water timers. Westlake would probably have one.
Yeah, Alex, I know you know crap about gardening. :p

MOhillbilly
04-18-2005, 01:09 PM
The strawberry bed started as about 4x8-foot, but quickly took over and is now the whole 8x8 foot plot. Herbs (rosemary, oregano, chives, basil... usual perennial stuff)... I've been using straw as my mulch for a couple of years now, plus Miracle Grow's anti-weed stuff.

As for watering... I get to 'em about 7:30 a.m. -- 4 a.m.???? YEAH RIGHT! I'm not getting up that early to water the damn plants.

are you puting newspaper or feedsacks down before you put the strawdown?
ever looked into soaker hose?
are you having problems or is it just taking over?

Iowanian
04-18-2005, 01:10 PM
Lots of grandmothers are into gardening.

Fire Me Boy!
04-18-2005, 01:18 PM
are you puting newspaper or feedsacks down before you put the strawdown?
ever looked into soaker hose?
are you having problems or is it just taking over?
No, just straw. Should I put newspapers down? I happen to work at a newspaper, so that wouldn't be a problem. Hadn't looked into a soaker hose... not really having problems getting them to grow, just having problems getting them to yield any fruit... and what little fruit I get seems to be on the edge of the fence... that's how I found out my dog likes strawberries. And yeah... they are taking over.

MOhillbilly
04-18-2005, 01:36 PM
we always used newspaper or feed sacks.
soaker hose is an easy iragation system that is easy on the wallet.
What kind of strawberries/variety?
id say its either your soil composition or variety.

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/strawberries/growing.html

PS you do know the store sell strawberries?
Id suggest buying some and telling your friends you grew them.ROFL