PDA

View Full Version : Sideways

Deberg_1990
04-16-2005, 11:35 AM
I just just watched this last night for the first time. Highly recommended. I cracked up in several scenes and the dramatic stuff was pretty heavy as well. Giamatti and Hayden Church were both "dead on" perfect. Very good flick.

Bowser
04-16-2005, 11:48 AM
I really liked this movie!

"That....that must have been five clicks!"

"Damn right it was five clicks!"

ROFL

Miles
04-16-2005, 11:55 AM
I really enjoyed that one as well. As you said great acting by Giamatti and Hayden Church.

"Bet ya that chick's two tons of fun. You know, the grateful type?"

"Don't you just want to feel that cozy little box grip down on your johnson?"

Deberg_1990
04-16-2005, 11:56 AM
"Did you drink and Dial?" hahah..man, this movie had some great lines...

jspchief
04-16-2005, 12:04 PM
Definately has some laugh out loud moments. I think men will probably enjoy it a bit more than women. I also think wine drinkers will get more out of it than those who don't drink wine (even though I enjoyed it and I don't drink much wine).

I would recommend it, but I also think some people won't care for it at all.

cheeeefs
04-16-2005, 12:07 PM
I watched it with my girlfriend and while I was dead ass tired from driving all day, I thought it was total trash but maybe it was because I wasn't in the mood to watch any movie at all. Perhaps someday I'll give it another run.

CrazyHorse
04-16-2005, 12:51 PM
Damn. It was the lamest movie I have seen for some time. I cant believe anyone could possibly enjoy it.

If you thought that shit was funny, you need to get out of the house.

NewChief
04-16-2005, 12:54 PM
I thought it was very entertaining. That being said, it didn't seem like Oscar caliber to me, at all. Not compared to say, Ray, Hotel Rwanda, and Closer (which I thought was excellent).

Deberg_1990
04-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Damn. It was the lamest movie I have seen for some time. I cant believe anyone could possibly enjoy it.

If you thought that shit was funny, you need to get out of the house.

As we all know, humor is highly subjective. Personally, I dont find much humor in guys getting kicked in the nuts or black men prettending to be white girls, that about 99% of most mainstream comedies have these days. I prefer more of the human drama comedies, like this film was.

Ebolapox
04-16-2005, 01:04 PM
heh heh... the thread title says it all... 'SIDEWAYS'...heh heh

-EB-

CrazyHorse
04-16-2005, 01:09 PM
As we all know, humor is highly subjective. Personally, I dont find much humor in guys getting kicked in the nuts or black men prettending to be white girls, that about 99% of most mainstream comedies have these days. I prefer more of the human drama comedies, like this film was.

I guess you're right. I never did like Woody Allen either. But there was a market for it. Go figure.

Deberg_1990
04-16-2005, 01:14 PM
I guess you're right. I never did like Woody Allen either. But there was a market for it. Go figure.

Ehhhh....yea, i never "Got" Woody Allen either.....

memyselfI
04-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Definately has some laugh out loud moments. I think men will probably enjoy it a bit more than women. I also think wine drinkers will get more out of it than those who don't drink wine (even though I enjoyed it and I don't drink much wine).

I would recommend it, but I also think some people won't care for it at all.

Nonsense. I posted a thread about how great the movie was when it was STILL IN THE THEATERS. My best friend and my daughter both loved the movie. MOF, the only woman I've heard diss the movie was some mid-aged uptight woman in the bathroom of the theater who was saying she had to go home and 'digest' it to see if she really thought it was funny...

:rolleyes:

Jenson71
04-16-2005, 03:38 PM
It's definitely more for the adult males though. I really enjoyed it the first time. The second time I went, the crowd was much less responsive. It was pretty slow on the second viewing.

Unlike, say, The Life Aquatic, which just got better after multiple viewings.

DaneMcCloud
04-16-2005, 04:35 PM
Not Oscar worthy? I highly disagree. I thought that it was most deserving of an Oscar, especially Giamatti. How he wasn't nominated for Best Actor was beyond me. Clint was great, as was Million Dollar Baby (even though I didn't think the twist was a twist - it was just part of the story), but I enjoyed Giamatti and Sideways way more than Clint and MDB.

I thought Ray was TV-Movie of the week schlock. Taylor Hackford sucks in my opinion. And while Jamie Foxx did a nice job, I thought his campaigning for the Oscar was ridiculous, but that's what probably won it for him. I thought the lip-synching was very poor. I don't ever need to see that movie again. I also thought it was interesting that the movie never brought up the fact that once he quit heroin, he never had another hit song.

FWIW, there's a few companies up in Santa Barbara that will take you to all the vineyards and restaurants seen in Sideways. Kind of like my "Swingers" night in old Hollywood.

Dane

Jenson71
04-16-2005, 04:45 PM

Oh, okay, now you're all gonna die.

Baby Lee
04-16-2005, 07:13 PM
Easiest connection in the world to make, and I missed it until I read his IMDB page. He is the son of one A. Bartlett Giamatti, Commissioner of Baseball who tossed Pete Rose out on his ear.

Great actor. I think of him as Philip Seymour Hoffman with a chip on his shoulder.

BigMeatballDave
04-16-2005, 07:27 PM
There were a few funny scenes, but overall, I'd have to say it sucked ass...

Ralphy Boy
04-16-2005, 07:57 PM
I really liked this movie!

"That....that must have been five clicks!"

"Damn right it was five clicks!"

ROFLChurch coming back to the hotel naked after "her husband comes home early and i've got my dick in her ass!"

That movie was the best.

Church: "We're gonna go in there and have a good time and if they wanna drink merlot, we're drinking merlot."

Giamatti: "I AM NOT DRINKING ****ING MERLOT!!!"

Between that scene and Giamatti running thru the vineyard drinking a bottle of wine, i don't see how anyone couldn't like the movie.

That and the "You're getting married on Saturday?!" helmet to the face.

I just remembered the scene where they aim the car at the tree and it misses wide right.

Great movie, great f-in movie.

jspchief
04-16-2005, 08:22 PM
Nonsense. I posted a thread about how great the movie was when it was STILL IN THE THEATERS. My best friend and my daughter both loved the movie. MOF, the only woman I've heard diss the movie was some mid-aged uptight woman in the bathroom of the theater who was saying she had to go home and 'digest' it to see if she really thought it was funny...

Fair enough. I didn't say "all women will hate it" or "all men will love it". I was simply stating my opinion on what I saw and what I've heard from others. Most of the opinions I've heard from freinds has been along the lines of the men liking it more than the women.

BigMeatballDave
04-16-2005, 08:26 PM
Church coming back to the hotel naked after "her husband comes home early and i've got my dick in her ass!"

That movie was the best.

Church: "We're gonna go in there and have a good time and if they wanna drink merlot, we're drinking merlot."

Giamatti: "I AM NOT DRINKING ****ING MERLOT!!!"

Between that scene and Giamatti running thru the vineyard drinking a bottle of wine, i don't see how anyone couldn't like the movie.

That and the "You're getting married on Saturday?!" helmet to the face.

I just remembered the scene where they aim the car at the tree and it misses wide right.

Great movie, great f-in movie.You just mentioned all the funny parts in the movie. Congrats! You just ****ed it up for those who haven't seen it...
:D

Sure-Oz
04-17-2005, 11:20 AM
Decent movie, kinda long i agree but it wouldve been better without the sausages and churches ass.

sd4chiefs
04-17-2005, 04:11 PM
One of the longest weekends of my life was when my wife dragged me up to Napa Valley and we did the wine tour thing. I have a bad since of smell so I can't tell the difference from one wine to the next, unless it is really cheap wine. I should have gotten an acadamy award for acting like I was having a good time. I was driving so I could not even get drunk. I still feel like pussy.

Hammock Parties
04-17-2005, 04:13 PM
Unlike, say, The Life Aquatic, which just got better after multiple viewings.

Jenson71
04-17-2005, 05:11 PM

What in hell do you want?

Hammock Parties
04-17-2005, 05:13 PM
What in hell do you want?

Nothing, I just think it is funny you think Life Aquatic is so great. Huge disappointment of a film, especially since it had such a great cast.

Jenson71
04-17-2005, 05:16 PM
Nothing, I just think it is funny you think Life Aquatic is so great. Huge disappointment of a film, especially since it had such a great cast.

No man, it was great. Best movie of 2004. Criterion comes out May 10th :thumb:

Hammock Parties
04-17-2005, 05:17 PM
No man, it was great. Best movie of 2004. Criterion comes out May 10th :thumb:

Yeah, so good most of the critics thought it sucked.

Jenson71
04-17-2005, 05:23 PM
Yeah, so good most of the critics thought it sucked.

No one thought it sucked. Many were disappointed. Not me though.

Hammock Parties
04-17-2005, 05:24 PM
No one thought it sucked. Many were disappointed. Not me though.

We disagree. Shocking! :)

Jenson71
04-17-2005, 05:25 PM
We disagree. Shocking! :)

Okay, I'll agree it wasn't the best. But it was my favorite.

Hammock Parties
04-17-2005, 05:27 PM
Okay, I'll agree it wasn't the best. But it was my favorite.

2004 was kind of a down year for film. You agree?

Jenson71
04-17-2005, 05:29 PM
2004 was kind of a down year for film. You agree?

Not at all. I thought it was a very good year. I saw a lot of good movies. There were some horrible ones too, but overall, very good year, imo.

Hammock Parties
04-17-2005, 05:33 PM
Not at all. I thought it was a very good year. I saw a lot of good movies. There were some horrible ones too, but overall, very good year, imo.

Nothing really jumped out at me.

Jenson71
04-17-2005, 05:38 PM
Nothing really jumped out at me.

Didn't I see you were a big fan of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?

Let's see, there was The Terminal, The Aviator, Life Aquatic, Garden State, Kill Bill Vol. 2, Passion of the Christ, Napoleon Dynamite, Closer, House of Flying Daggers, Friday Night Lights, Miracle, Finding Neverland, Hotel Rwanda, The Incredibles, Collateral, Sideways, Million Dollar Baby, Before Sunset, Farenheit 9/11, The Polar Express, Ray, Spartan, Kinsey.

Nein?

Hammock Parties
04-17-2005, 05:41 PM
Didn't I see you were a big fan of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?

Let's see, there was The Terminal, The Aviator, Life Aquatic, Garden State, Kill Bill Vol. 2, Passion of the Christ, Napoleon Dynamite, Closer, House of Flying Daggers, Friday Night Lights, Miracle, Finding Neverland, Hotel Rwanda, The Incredibles, Collateral, Sideways, Million Dollar Baby, Before Sunset, Farenheit 9/11.

Nein?

Not necessarily "a big fan" but I did see it.

I saw about half that list and nothing really struck me so much that I would want to buy it. I really enjoyed the scenes with David Carradine in KB2, though.

Nzoner
04-18-2005, 11:28 PM
Definately has some laugh out loud moments. I think men will probably enjoy it a bit more than women.

The mrs and I watched it tonight and when I told her I liked it she was a bit surprised and said she didn't think it was my kind of a movie.I told her I thought it was somewhat of a romantic comedy aimed at guys for a change.

Nzoner
04-18-2005, 11:36 PM

Agreed.

I thought the scene where he went in to get the wallet was fockin' hilarious.Pat Travers song Snortin' Whiskey & Drinkin' Cocaine playing in the background was a nice touch as well.