PDA

View Full Version : What If A QB Like Alex Smith Fell To #15?

NaptownChief
04-16-2005, 04:58 PM
Knowing our defensive needs to win now would you be pissed? or would you be fine with it knowing we have nothing behind Green and he isn't a spring chicken anymore?

I would prefer defense to help our chances to win now but knowing how DV struggles to put vets on the bench in favor of rookies tells me the odd of a rookie making a huge contribution is much lower with DV than other teams...That being the cause I wouldn't defecate myself if they went in this direction.

shaneo69
04-16-2005, 04:59 PM
I'd take him. But then again, I liked the LJ pick too. And I wanted Harrington in '02 when our defense sucked.

tk13
04-16-2005, 05:00 PM
I'd trade down and try to pillage somebody who wants a stud QB...

eazyb81
04-16-2005, 05:03 PM
Either trade down or go with a defensive player. If he fell that far, something would have to be up with him. We are in a win now mode, so taking a QB, even a potential franchise QB, would be stupid at this point. However, I would like to see us draft a QB in the 4th-6th round (Andrew Walter would be great) to learn behind Trent a couple years.

keg in kc
04-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Any other year I'd be fine with it. But this time around our first two picks have to be players who'll see the field this year. 2005 is it for this team the way it's been built. We're playing for now and a QB would be a luxury pick for the future that we just can't afford.

TRR
04-16-2005, 05:07 PM
I would take him, and try to swing a trade, or move down. For the next two to three seasons, Alex Smith would probably be our third string QB behind Green and Collins.

I never liked drafting and developing a QB. I always liked the idea of getting one out of FA or via trade. There are too many QB busts, and their contracts are too large.

NaptownChief
04-16-2005, 05:10 PM
But this time around our first two picks have to be players who'll see the field this year.

Just playing Devil's Advocate, but you mean like Ryan Sims and Siavii?

beer bacon
04-16-2005, 05:12 PM

I agree with this proposition.

SCTrojan
04-16-2005, 05:12 PM
Agree with tk and eazy, trade down if he's available. If they drafted him, I'd probably throw something through my TV. Good thing I plan on watching the draft at a sports bar.

dilligaf
04-16-2005, 06:09 PM
Just playing Devil's Advocate, but you mean like Ryan Sims and Siavii?
That was just plain mean. :banghead:

alanm
04-16-2005, 06:12 PM
Can he cover Wide receivers?

NJ Chief Fan
04-16-2005, 06:56 PM
alex smith is a joke he will be a big time no body if we drafted him it would piss me off more then the sly mo pick

keg in kc
04-16-2005, 07:21 PM
Just playing Devil's Advocate, but you mean like Ryan Sims and Siavii?I'm not sure what your point is.

Chiefnj
04-16-2005, 07:25 PM
If the Chiefs haven't made a move for Surtain at that point and Smith was still available you might as well build for the future and grab the QB. If Surtain is on board I think I'd try to trade back.

alanm
04-16-2005, 07:30 PM
This is a very thin year for QB's. I'm not exactly impressed with either Smith or the guy from USC.

Digital Takawira
04-16-2005, 07:38 PM

:thumb:

Manila-Chief
04-16-2005, 07:48 PM
That was just plain mean. :banghead:

But, so true!!!

LiL stumppy
04-16-2005, 08:05 PM
If we sign a LB and CB, I wouldnt have that big of a problem with it.

the Talking Can
04-16-2005, 08:07 PM
I would defecate myself.

htismaqe
04-16-2005, 08:09 PM
Where's Otter?

I want to know what he'd say. :D

jspchief
04-16-2005, 08:16 PM
I say no way for several reasons:

1. Green still has a few years left in him. If he plays three more years, Alex Smith will get his shot to start just in time for a fat new contract.
2. That's a pretty expensive back-up. See Reason 1.
3. Instant QB controversy. If Green starts out a season like he did the '04 season, a lot of people will want to see our high dollar rookie get a chance to do better.

IMO, you only take a high pick QB if you have an immediate need, or your current QB is barely cutting the mustard.

I realize Green can't play forever, but that's why we take a chance on a bit of a long shot like a 4th round QB and let him develop for few years. Even ignoring our glaring need at other positions, it's still a bad move at this time.

RealSNR
04-16-2005, 08:16 PM
What if candy fell from the sky on draft day?

Who cares. Defense defense defense will win this year, not backup rookie QBs

Rausch
04-16-2005, 08:20 PM
I'd love to see us take a QB but not before the 3rd or 4th round. It's not a huge need (Collins is no stud but we'd be fine with him for 2 or 3 games) and I'd prefer to see us take an offensive lineman first.

Shields, Roaf, and Wiegman are all in their 30's and I'm not that confident with what we've got at RT...

RealSNR
04-16-2005, 08:24 PM
I'd love to see us take a QB but not before the 3rd or 4th round. It's not a huge need (Collins is no stud but we'd be fine with him for 2 or 3 games) and I'd prefer to see us take an offensive lineman first.

Shields, Roaf, and Wiegman are all in their 30's and I'm not that confident with what we've got at RT...Agreed. Green's got some years in him. Draft a QB when we start sucking again.

the Talking Can
04-16-2005, 08:25 PM

Shields, Roaf, and Wiegman are all in their 30's and I'm not that confident with what we've got at RT...

yeah, we could go D in rounds 1-2, and Tackle/QB in rounds 3-4....hopefully we'll sign Johnson so a WR won't be such a need

RealSNR
04-16-2005, 08:29 PM
yeah, we could go D in rounds 1-2, and Tackle/QB in rounds 3-4....hopefully we'll sign Johnson so a WR won't be such a needI'm sick of drafting receivers that end up sucking. We need to go free agency when it comes to receivers. Either that, or don't draft one at all.

Rausch
04-16-2005, 08:47 PM
yeah, we could go D in rounds 1-2, and Tackle/QB in rounds 3-4....hopefully we'll sign Johnson so a WR won't be such a need

I keep thinking we need a real threat at WR, but then I think about how a POS like Salt-lick can be our starter and still have a top 5 offense. Parker is twice as fast and can't be any worse at catching the ball.

I looks like this offense will be ok as long as we have a top 10 RB and a dominating offensive line.

Logical
04-16-2005, 08:53 PM
He should fall to 16 in that event.:D

Brock
04-16-2005, 08:54 PM
Nothing against drafting a QB, but I'd prefer McPherson in a later round.

Hammock Parties
04-16-2005, 11:41 PM
Green is gone as soon as Vermeil leaves.

Tribal Warfare
04-16-2005, 11:56 PM
Green is gone as soon as Vermeil leaves.

I disagree Trent has at least three more seasons in his tank.

Hammock Parties
04-17-2005, 12:00 AM

Whatever he has left in the tank is irrelevant. Alot of players retire with gas left in the tank.

I can't see Trent playing for anyone else than Vermeil, especially if the Chiefs are rebuilding.

Logical
04-17-2005, 12:02 AM
Whatever he has left in the tank is irrelevant. Alot of players retire with gas left in the tank.

I can't see Trent playing for anyone else than Vermeil, especially if the Chiefs are rebuilding.

I believe he might stay if Al Saunders is elevated, but otherwise I would agree with you. The thing is you have to remember he is just now starting to cash in on big paydays, so he may be tempted to stay mainly for the money.

Hammock Parties
04-17-2005, 12:04 AM
I believe he might stay if Al Saunders is elevated, but otherwise I would agree with you. The thing is you have to remember he is just now starting to cash in on big paydays, so he may be tempted to stay mainly for the money.

Good points. His knee can't be too strong, either. If he took another season-ending hit on his knee I think that might make him retire.

dilligaf
04-17-2005, 01:36 AM
Trent has been a very effective Qb. But we do need to start thinking about when he wont be here. Does anyone think Clausen can take over in the future? Forgive me if Im rambling, Im drunk. :BLVD:

Tribal Warfare
04-17-2005, 01:53 AM
this isn't a strong QB draft. therefore KC has to stay at the status quo at the QB will have to suffice. The Florida University QB would be great but when he comes up he'll be a top 5 pick.

el borracho
04-17-2005, 02:42 AM
Wouldn't it be grand to draft him and immediately trade him to another team for a pair of #1s similar to what San Diego did with Manning.

JimNasium
04-17-2005, 07:17 AM
I would defecate myself.
Why did it take until post #19 for this to turn into a poop thread? I'll do my part now...........boobies!

NaptownChief
04-17-2005, 03:07 PM
I'm not sure what your point is.

My point was pretty simple, the primary argument for defense early in the draft is that we need immediate help on that side of the ball. Certainly not a bad argument nor would I disagree with however recent history has shown us that we have gotten very little immediate impact with our high draft picks on that side of the ball. Sims, Freeman, Downing, Battle, Mitchell, Fox and Siavii.

In the last 4 drafts the Chiefs have spent 8 draft picks from rounds 1-3 on the defensive side of the ball and got zero legitimate contribution from those picks in 4 years let alone the first season. So my point is the odds are highly unlikely that we get anyone that will step in and make a big defensive contribution in the first year and if that is the case then having a legitimate QBOTF developing under Green may not be so damaging to our immediate needs.

Just a thought.

Deberg_1990
02-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Interesting thread. Here is how we felt about A. Smith in 2005....

Direckshun
02-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Seriously, **** you. **** you for bumping this piece of shit conversation.

**** EVERYTHING

:deevee:

FRCDFED
02-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Its nice to see posts from other fellow old-timers like JimNasium.

Fat Elvis
02-25-2013, 01:20 PM
Doo Daa, Doo Daa....

Sorry. Everytime I see Naptown Chief I hear that "Camptown Races" song in my head.

Doo Daa, Doo Daa...

DaWolf
02-25-2013, 01:23 PM
Funny how Aaron Rodgers never came up in this thread. I think lots of people at that time were on the DJ bandwagon. There was almost a Geno-like defensiveness some people had about him, like when people would suggest he couldn't shed blockers and people would get pissed at the mention of that...

Deberg_1990
02-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Funny how Aaron Rodgers never came up in this thread. I think lots of people at that time were on the DJ bandwagon. There was almost a Geno-like defensiveness some people had about him, like when people would suggest he couldn't shed blockers and people would get pissed at the mention of that...

Not to brag, but i liked Rodgers in 2005.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=114650&highlight=aaron+rodgers

Molitoth
02-25-2013, 01:31 PM

lol, pulled from that thread....

I'm a little leary of QB Rogers ... he does not seem to be a top flight QB. Also, I've seen the Chiefs draft too many failed QB.

It's amazing. I just have to laugh at this point. There is no hope with these kind of retards on the loose.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-25-2013, 01:33 PM

Nice call. I thought he was a Tedford bust ala Kyle Boller. Oops!

Molitoth
02-25-2013, 01:35 PM
NO MIKE WILLIAMS

Seriously, the guy dominated in college because of physical talent. He runs poor routes, he isn't quick out of his breaks, he lacks breakaway speed -- the guy doesn't even begin to fit our offense.

htismaqe knows his shit.

Deberg_1990
02-25-2013, 01:35 PM
lol, pulled from that thread....

It's amazing. I just have to laugh at this point. There is no hope with these kind of retards on the loose.

ROFL

chiefscafan
02-25-2013, 01:36 PM
That actually was a good call I remember when I first joined someone kept saying draft Tom Brady I can't remember who but someone on here did

Or maybe the kcstar board but looking back he knew something.

ChiefsCountry
02-25-2013, 01:40 PM
Well to be fair the whole fanbase was pretty dellusional back then thinking if we fixed the defense we had a Super Bowl team. We keep getting smarter with age.

Molitoth
02-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Well to be fair the whole fanbase was pretty dellusional back then thinking if we fixed the defense we had a Super Bowl team. We keep getting smarter with age.

We are still delusional thinking that ignoring the QB position will bring something worth cheering for.

Dave Lane
02-25-2013, 02:19 PM
Here's a real soothsayer:

Aaron Rodgers - HELL NO!!! Not only do we have no need for a 1st round QB prospect, this guy has bust written all over him.

Antrel Rolle - HELL YEAH!!! Despite the fact he's a UofM potential thug, and his agent is a notorious PunkAzzBiatch, he's a steal at 15.

Mike Williams - do I really even need to go there? NO, NO, NO!!!