04-16-2005, 07:56 PM
Jones Rolle and Rogers all go top 10...

They have us taking Shawn Merriman...

the Talking Can
04-16-2005, 08:02 PM
ewww...

LiL stumppy
04-16-2005, 08:03 PM
Meh,if we sing Surtain we need a LB,if we don't we need a CB.Not a DE.

the Talking Can
04-16-2005, 08:03 PM
I don't doubt Merriman can be a good player, I doubt the ability of our coaches to utilize his talents.

htismaqe
04-16-2005, 08:06 PM
Meh,if we sing Surtain we need a LB,if we don't we need a CB.Not a DE.

We could use an OLB. We could also use a DE.

The problem is that Merriman is really NEITHER. Merriman is best-suited to play in a system like Bill Parcells' IMO. In fact, I think Parcells may pick him, looking at him much like he did Willie McGinest.

beer bacon
04-16-2005, 08:06 PM
I must be a freak. I like Merriman.

htismaqe
04-16-2005, 08:11 PM
I must be a freak. I like Merriman.

You're not a freak.

It's not that Merriman isn't a good player. He's a VERY good player.

He's just not the right player for the Chiefs. We have specific needs at CB, OLB, and DE and we play a 4-3 defense. Merriman is not the right player for us.

booger
04-16-2005, 08:12 PM
We could use an OLB. We could also use a DE.

The problem is that Merriman is really NEITHER. Merriman is best-suited to play in a system like Bill Parcells' IMO. In fact, I think Parcells may pick him, looking at him much like he did Willie McGinest.
Or John Abraham

I just don't see him playing OLB at 274 lbs and IMO may is strickly a DE when it comes to the 4-3 D. He sounds like an amazing athlete with a ton of football skills though. IIRC, CP stated after his Maryland workout he beleived he would have to play with his hand on the ground.

Maybe a SSLB or MLB for us, either way he would have to drop some weight. Either that or a long term replacement for Hicks at LDE or move Allen to LE and Merriman at RDE. Not likely with the signing of Hall.

I don't see him sliding to us though, no way IMO. I could see him going as high as 6th to Tenn, with Min, Wash, Det, Dallas, SD, Tex, all being likely spots as well.

booger
04-16-2005, 08:13 PM
You're not a freak.

He's just not the right player for the Chiefs. We have specific needs at CB, OLB, and DE and we play a 4-3 defense. Merriman is not the right player for us.
:thumb:

Exactly. Awesome player, just hard to place him in our D.

beer bacon
04-16-2005, 08:13 PM
You're not a freak.

I don't see how he will drop anyways. If he does drop to 15 could it be another Alex Smithesque situation where we could a good deal trading down to somebody that really wants him?

booger
04-16-2005, 08:16 PM
I don't see how he will drop anyways. If he does drop to 15 could it be another Alex Smithesque situation where we could a good deal trading down to somebody that really wants him?
Good point.

get another 2 or 3 and slide down for a shot at Marlin Jackson or Kevin Burnett. :thumb:

shaneo69
04-16-2005, 08:18 PM
I think Merriman could be another Simeon Rice. Rice was also a 3-4 OLB in college.

I think we could find a spot for him.

htismaqe
04-16-2005, 08:18 PM
Good point.

get another 2 or 3 and slide down for a shot at Marlin Jackson or Kevin Burnett. :thumb:

I've lost my enthusiasm for Kevin Burnett. The more I watch his highlights and read his reports, the more he reminds me of Keyaron Fox...

htismaqe
04-16-2005, 08:20 PM
I think Merriman could be another Simeon Rice. Rice was also a 3-4 OLB in college.

You evidently have more faith in our coaches than I do. With our coaches, he'd likely end up just like Monty Beisel.

the Talking Can
04-16-2005, 08:21 PM

when you put it that way he sounds more appealing....I just want a real DE, not a 3-4 rush end type...despite what people say about pollacks arms etc., the guy has produced consistently and imho he'll be a DE in the pros...

beer bacon
04-16-2005, 08:21 PM
I've lost my enthusiasm for Kevin Burnett. The more I watch his highlights and read his reports, the more he reminds me of Keyaron Fox...

Fox should have been good coming out of college. He may still be good some day. Some players with talent just don't do well in the pros. I don't think just because two players look similar coming of college it means they will have the exact impact once they get to the NFL.

htismaqe
04-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Fox should have been good coming out of college. He may still be good some day. Some players with talent just don't do well in the pros. I don't think just because two players look similar coming of college it means they will have the exact impact once they get to the NFL.

I just don't see Burnett as providing something we don't already have on the roster.

booger
04-16-2005, 08:26 PM
I just don't know what the deal is with Fox. He was one of the Top LB's in last years draft and slipped to us at rd 3. I don't know why the hell he didn't get some pt in place of Beisal after he was hurt filling in for Barber. He had some tc injuries and beating the shit out of Beisal in the LB film room probably didn't help in DV's eyes.

I still think Gun liked him when he was drafted and fits in the plans. He is listed as a backup at both OLB spots so maybe he will compete with Fujita. I would rather us not take a shot at Burnett until rd 2 but I don't see us picking up another LB unless we go after Simmons or I would like for us to add Holdman. I think he could start at WLB if need be or be the top LB off the bench and come cheap. We obviously had an interest a couple of years ago signing him so an offer sheet. Kinda like Dalton, I hope, we keep an eye on him and hopefully get him if he doesn't get the money he probably wants.

I'd take two Burnett/Fox types of LB compared to the crap we have fielded in the past. If we trade down, I see us going with a need pick at LB and Burnett may be a slight reach but I could see it happening the way KC does things. JMO.

beer bacon
04-16-2005, 08:26 PM
when you put it that way he sounds more appealing....I just want a real DE, not a 3-4 rush end type...despite what people say about pollacks arms etc., the guy has produced consistently and imho he'll be a DE in the pros...

I thought I had read several times that Merriman was good against the run as well. He weighs in the 270s. That is a pretty good weight for the standard 4-3 DE.

the Talking Can
04-16-2005, 08:30 PM
I thought I had read several times that Merriman was good against the run as well. He weighs in the 270s. That is a pretty good weight for the standard 4-3 DE.

yeah, just to clarify, I meant to say that if we drafted him I'd want him to play DE and not some kind of hybrid-whatever...I don't trust the Chiefs with those things and I want an everydown DE to replace Hicks

htismaqe
04-16-2005, 08:31 PM
I just don't know what the deal is with Fox. He was one of the Top LB's in last years draft and slipped to us at rd 3. I don't know why the hell he didn't get some pt in place of Beisal after he was hurt filling in for Barber. He had some tc injuries and beating the shit out of Beisal in the LB film room probably didn't help in DV's eyes.

I still think Gun liked him when he was drafted and fits in the plans. He is listed as a backup at both OLB spots so maybe he will compete with Fujita. I would rather us not take a shot at Burnett until rd 2 but I don't see us picking up another LB unless we go after Simmons or I would like for us to add Holdman. I think he could start at WLB if need be or be the top LB off the bench and come cheap. We obviously had an interest a couple of years ago signing him so an offer sheet. Kinda like Dalton, I hope, we keep an eye on him and hopefully get him if he doesn't get the money he probably wants.

I'd take two Burnett/Fox types of LB compared to the crap we have fielded in the past. If we trade down, I see us going with a need pick at LB and Burnett may be a slight reach but I could see it happening the way KC does things. JMO.

Fox got into Crybaby Vermeil's doghouse early and never got out.

htismaqe
04-16-2005, 08:32 PM
yeah, just to clarify, I meant to say that if we drafted him I'd want him to play DE and not some kind of hybrid-whatever...I don't trust the Chiefs with those things and I want an everydown DE to replace Hicks

We all want to replace Hicks, but it's just not gonna happen. He's a good guy and drinks wine with Vermeil.

booger
04-16-2005, 08:33 PM
Yep.

That's why he is still a bit of an unknown. I am not giving up hope for the guy though.

It's also the reason as of right now with Barber injured that if we line up and play tommorrow Caver is our starting WLB.

the Talking Can
04-16-2005, 08:33 PM
We all want to replace Hicks, but it's just not gonna happen. He's a good guy and drinks wine with Vermeil.

yeah, he's drinking something of Vermeil's.....or slurping, etc...

beer bacon
04-16-2005, 08:36 PM
This week is going to blow.

keg in kc
04-16-2005, 08:38 PM
I think this is exactly what's going to happen. Maybe not Merriman, specifically, it could be James or Pollack, but I think we're going to see the corners we want (I'm assuming that's Rolle or Rogers, rather than Jones) off the board early.

keg in kc
04-16-2005, 08:42 PM
This week is going to blow.Ties for best and worst week of the year. It's like stretching christmas eve out for a week. And since we're Chiefs fans, we'll spend the week dreaming about what we're going to get, hoping for that awesome new toy only to open the box and find a lime green/forest green striped hand-knit sweater.

booger
04-16-2005, 08:46 PM
or pink socks

Tribal Warfare
04-16-2005, 08:48 PM
I'm still motioning for a Derrick Johnson tradeup

milkman
04-16-2005, 08:55 PM
Ties for best and worst week of the year. It's like stretching christmas eve out for a week. And since we're Chiefs fans, we'll spend the week dreaming about what we're going to get, hoping for that awesome new toy only to open the box and find a lime green/forest green striped hand-knit sweater.

Charlie Brown on Holloween

http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0691/8.jpg

All I got was a rock.

philfree
04-16-2005, 10:52 PM

I don't remember that at all. I thought he had a quad injury.

PhilFree :arrow:

Hammock Parties
04-16-2005, 10:55 PM
Why can't Merriman line up every down as a ROLB in a 4-3 and occasionally go put his hand down and rush the passer? Just because he's a bit big?

keg in kc
04-16-2005, 10:58 PM
Why can't Merriman line up every down as a ROLB in a 4-3 and occasionally go put his hand down and rush the passer? Just because he's a bit big?Depending on the scheme, ROLB (weak side, in other words) in a 4-3 is generally responsible for covering backs out of the backfield on pass plays, as well as some receivers on certain patterns (slants,etc). I can't see Merriman doing that.

htismaqe
04-17-2005, 04:26 AM
I'm still motioning for a Derrick Johnson tradeup

Of course you are, Voyager.

htismaqe
04-17-2005, 04:27 AM
I don't remember that at all. I thought he had a quad injury.

PhilFree :arrow:

He had a quad injury.

And then he bitch slapped Beisel in the film room and Vermeil never forgave him.

htismaqe
04-17-2005, 04:27 AM
Why can't Merriman line up every down as a ROLB in a 4-3 and occasionally go put his hand down and rush the passer? Just because he's a bit big?

The WSLB has a ton of pass coverage responsibilities in our defense...

yoswif
04-17-2005, 06:29 AM
According to their NFL.com profiles, DE Spears benches 405 lbs and Merriman benches 385 lbs while Pollack and Ware both bench at least 425 lbs. Dennis Rodman didn't look very strong but he managed to toss around a lot of big NBA players. Like Pollack and Ware, Rodman combined great natural strength with great agility and quick feet to great effect. I don't think Merriman is quite as strong, agile, and quick as Pollack and Ware. But KC doesn't have any DEs that are as strong, quick, and agile as Pollack and Ware either.

nascher
04-17-2005, 06:44 AM
Get my Man T.D. :)

htismaqe
04-17-2005, 07:53 AM
According to their NFL.com profiles, DE Spears benches 405 lbs and Merriman benches 385 lbs while Pollack and Ware both bench at least 425 lbs. Dennis Rodman didn't look very strong but he managed to toss around a lot of big NBA players. Like Pollack and Ware, Rodman combined great natural strength with great agility and quick feet to great effect. I don't think Merriman is quite as strong, agile, and quick as Pollack and Ware. But KC doesn't have any DEs that are as strong, quick, and agile as Pollack and Ware either.

In the game I watched, Pollack pushed EVERYBODY around. Spears pushed NOBODY around.

whoman69
04-17-2005, 10:27 AM
I can see this happening because Merriman is another tweener type. He will not flourish in a KC 4-3 defense because he doesn't have the size to play straight up DE and will not get the help that a 3-4 defense would give him at LB.