PDA

View Full Version : McClain NFL Notebook, link 4/17/05

Wile_E_Coyote
04-17-2005, 01:57 PM
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3138627

whoman69
04-17-2005, 02:27 PM
SF better hope that Rodgers isn't as overhyped as Boller was. IMO, Boller was easy to spot as a bust.

ZootedGranny
04-17-2005, 02:37 PM
The slightly more interesting piece of print is:

The Kansas City Chiefs reached a contract agreement with Miami cornerback Patrick Surtain, and they're expected to make a draft-day trade.

Kansas City may try to trade up to get Texas outside linebacker Derrick Johnson.

Adding Surtain, Johnson, linebacker Kendrell Bell, end Carlos Hall and safety Sammy Knight to their defense would improve them immensely on that side of the ball in what's expected to be Dick Vermeil's last season as coach.

It sounds like nothing more than conjecture, as no sources are named, but I thought it was interesting.

As for the Rodgers/Smith debate, I don't think either will be a superstar in the league, but I'm taking Rodgers over Smith in the long run.

DenverChief
04-17-2005, 02:40 PM
If we trade for Surtain (for arguments sake lets say they take this years 4th and next years 2nd) what do we have that we could use to trade up to the top 8 to get Johnson?

The Kansas City Chiefs reached a contract agreement with Miami cornerback Patrick Surtain, and they're expected to make a draft-day trade.

Kansas City may try to trade up to get Texas outside linebacker Derrick Johnson.

Adding Surtain, Johnson, linebacker Kendrell Bell, end Carlos Hall and safety Sammy Knight to their defense would improve them immensely on that side of the ball in what's expected to be Dick Vermeil's last season as coach.

DenverChief
04-17-2005, 02:41 PM
The slightly more interesting piece of print is:

The question is what do we have that is such value to trade up?

Tribal Warfare
04-17-2005, 02:51 PM
our 1st,2nd, 5th , and 6th round picks

Tribal Warfare
04-17-2005, 02:54 PM
our 1st this year and next years 1st would put KC in the #5 or #6 spot

ZootedGranny
04-17-2005, 02:54 PM
It all depends on what we trade for Surtain, if in fact we do end up trading for him. Trading a 2nd will probably kill any realistic chance of trading up, because in order for the Chiefs to move up this year, they'd have to trade their 1st and 2nd rounders. That would move them up to around 8, but therein lies the problem.

I don't doubt the Chiefs could package enough picks to move up, but the problem is convincing the teams in that range that their players they want will still be there @ #15.

As much as I'd like a trade up to happen, I don't think there is a realistic chance, unless Peterson sweetens the pot with a mid to high round pick next year, and I don't think CP has it in him to do so.

NJ Chief Fan
04-17-2005, 02:58 PM
i dont give a **** any more...i just want to see a certain red and yellow team playin in feb 06 and at the end of the game they get to raise this silver football

DenverChief
04-17-2005, 03:00 PM
our 1st this year and next years 1st would put KC in the #5 or #6 spot

Is that worth it to you?

Tribal Warfare
04-17-2005, 03:04 PM
Is that worth it to you?

I'm just saying the possibilities. personally I would wait till the #9 to #11 spot

htismaqe
04-17-2005, 04:03 PM
Picks are precious.

Johnson isn't THAT special.

Tribal Warfare
04-17-2005, 04:06 PM
Picks are precious.

he's good enough to tradeup to the #9 to #11 spot

Hammock Parties
04-17-2005, 04:07 PM
Boller isn't a bust. He showed good improvement in the second half of last season.

Mr. Laz
04-17-2005, 04:10 PM
according to the draft chart, it would only cost our 2nd round pick to get up to the 8th pick. Going strictly by the pts we'd get more than 8th pick in trade ... but not quite the 7th pick.

our 1st and 2nd: 1050+440= 1490

for

8th pick + 4th Rd: 1400+86= 1486

whoman69
04-17-2005, 04:36 PM
Boller isn't a bust. He showed good improvement in the second half of last season.
It's nice you're standing up for your cousin, but get real man.

Hammock Parties
04-17-2005, 04:39 PM
It's nice you're standing up for your cousin, but get real man.

Ask any Ravens fan. He was coming around by season's end. Todd Heap being out for half the year didn't help.

ChiefsFanatic
04-17-2005, 04:41 PM

Man, he is the worst starter in the league. Any Miami QB would be an upgrade to this clown.

Hammock Parties
04-17-2005, 04:44 PM
Man, he is the worst starter in the league. Any Miami QB would be an upgrade to this clown.

In two years you'll wish Kyle Boller was a Chief.

whoman69
04-17-2005, 05:10 PM
In two years you'll wish Kyle Boller was a Chief.
In two years Boller will be slitting his wrists because Jamal Lewis is suspended for the year for his 3rd drug susupension.

htismaqe
04-17-2005, 05:41 PM
he's good enough to tradeup to the #9 to #11 spot

You suggested trading this year's first AND NEXT YEAR'S FIRST. That's insane.

tk13
04-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Picks are precious.

How do you know that? I think he's gonna be pretty damn good. I don't know if I'd do two 1st's, but I'd pay the price to move up and get him.

htismaqe
04-17-2005, 05:59 PM
How do you know that? I think he's gonna be pretty damn good. I don't know if I'd do two 1st's, but I'd pay the price to move up and get him.

I think he's gonna be damn good.

But NOBODY THAT'S PLAYED ZERO NFL SNAPS is worth 2 1st-round picks.

Ever.

Tribal Warfare
04-17-2005, 06:23 PM
You suggested trading this year's first AND NEXT YEAR'S FIRST. That's insane.

first of all I said it was an option. Second I've been saying to give up an 1st, 2nd, and 5th for Johnson for the #9 to #11 for the past two weeks

htismaqe
04-17-2005, 07:02 PM
first of all I said it was an option. Second I've been saying to give up an 1st, 2nd, and 5th for Johnson for the #9 to #11 for the past two weeks

Sure it's an option.

It's a DUMB option.

beer bacon
04-17-2005, 07:09 PM
The way I see it is that if we trade for Surtain and manage to keep our 2nd we should be looking to trade up to like Tribal Warfare said, the 8-11th spots to grab him. We should be able to do that with just our 1st, 2nd, and maybe a trash pick from the later rounds.

If he doesn't fall there is no need to worry. There should be good picks left at 15. Rogers, Pollack, or Davis should still be around at 15. We shouldn't be worried about not having good defensive players to choose from. We should be worried about Carl&Company being dumbasses and drafting a tweener like Ware or a QBOTF or something like that.

htismaqe
04-17-2005, 07:12 PM
If we get Surtain, I don't have a problem trading up to #11 or so to get Johnson. But the price has to be right, because we've basically guaranteed he's the only starter we're going to get out of the draft.

I'm absolutely against trading next year's 1st-round draft pick for anybody.

eazyb81
04-17-2005, 07:20 PM
I really don't think it would cost that much to trade up and get DJ. We would probably have to give up or 2nd or a few 2nd round picks to move up a few spots. I think there is a good chance he slips a little bit in the draft, the earliest I see him getting picked is Detroit at 10 or Dallas at 11.

htismaqe
04-17-2005, 07:39 PM
I really don't think it would cost that much to trade up and get DJ. We would probably have to give up or 2nd or a few 2nd round picks to move up a few spots. I think there is a good chance he slips a little bit in the draft, the earliest I see him getting picked is Detroit at 10 or Dallas at 11.

I think people are overlooking Tampa Bay. I could see him going to Tampa easy.

eazyb81
04-17-2005, 07:44 PM
I think Tampa has much bigger needs on the offensive side of the ball to look at defense in the 1st round. They need a RB and some may even say a QB. Their defense will still be good next year, but they really need to improve their offense to stay competetive. I believe they will go with one of the big 3 RBs or trade up for a QB.

htismaqe
04-17-2005, 07:54 PM
I think Tampa has much bigger needs on the offensive side of the ball to look at defense in the 1st round. They need a RB and some may even say a QB. Their defense will still be good next year, but they really need to improve their offense to stay competetive. I believe they will go with one of the big 3 RBs or trade up for a QB.

Tampa isn't in the market for a QB. Gruden likes Griese alot and they also like what they see in Simms.

I wouldn't say it's a lock they're in the market for a RB either. Good teams don't always draft for the obvious need.

el borracho
04-17-2005, 10:15 PM
The question is what do we have that is such value to trade up?
I think the idea is to trade this year's 4th and next year's 2nd for Surtain. Then we trade this year's 1st and next year's 1st for Johnson. Then maybe we trade this year's 5th and a conditional 3rd next year for someone on draft day. The idea is to trade away all first day picks because we are in "win now" mode and "the window is closing" and "Carl does better on day two, anyway." I'm not sure how we can get rid of the rest of our picks (this year and next). It sucks we can't trade our 3rd round compensation pick! :cuss: Lucky for us, just getting Surtain and Johnson will get us to the SuperBowl!!!1!

htismaqe
04-18-2005, 05:20 AM
I think the idea is to trade this year's 4th and next year's 2nd for Surtain. Then we trade this year's 1st and next year's 1st for Johnson. Then maybe we trade this year's 5th and a conditional 3rd next year for someone on draft day. The idea is to trade away all first day picks because we are in "win now" mode and "the window is closing" and "Carl does better on day two, anyway." I'm not sure how we can get rid of the rest of our picks (this year and next). It sucks we can't trade our 3rd round compensation pick! :cuss: Lucky for us, just getting Surtain and Johnson will get us to the SuperBowl!!!1!

I sincerely hope you're being facetious...