PDA

View Full Version : College Football Fans: How were the Spring Games?

Saulbadguy
04-18-2005, 08:15 AM
I've noticed that Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska have all had their respective spring games. How do things look? Does Brad Smith look like his 2002-2003 self again? Who will be running NU's offense, and how did it look? Does KU's offensive line and RBBC stand a chance? Details, people!

Garcia Bronco
04-18-2005, 08:23 AM
Hokies looked good. Marcus Vick has a gun....he's a little tentative with his decision, but is much more accurate than his older brother. Hokie defense looked great as usual.

htismaqe
04-18-2005, 08:23 AM
Iowa didn't have a spring game due to stadium rennovations.

SCTrojan
04-18-2005, 08:27 AM
I only have internet re-caps to go from, but offense looks fine. On the defensive side: one defensive tackle/nose tackle position was filled, weakside linebacker position filled, one cornerback position needs to be addressed and replacement kicker is okay.

htismaqe
04-18-2005, 08:29 AM
I only have internet re-caps to go from, but offense looks fine. On the defensive side: one defensive tackle/nose tackle position was filled, weakside linebacker position filled, one cornerback position needs to be addressed and replacement kicker is okay.

Did SC really lose 4 starters due to academic ineligibility?

SCTrojan
04-18-2005, 08:55 AM
Did SC really lose 4 starters due to academic ineligibility?

Depends on how you look at it. Four players - LenDale White, Dominque Byrd, Frostee Rucker and Manny Wright were held out of Spring practice to get their academics in order. Pete Carroll has some sort of point system where if you miss tutoring sessions/class/etc., you lose points. You don't have the requisite points, you don't get to participate. If your GPA isn't where it's supposed to be, you definitely don't get to participate.

The consensus amongst message board frequenters is that LenDale White and Dominique Byrd will definitely be back come fall. Frostee Rucker is a question mark, and Manny Wright is mulling a supplemental draft entry.

All four were expected to be starters - although there really isn't a starter at tailback with Reggie Bush and others back there. Bottom line, they were held out of Spring Practice and if they don't get their academics fixed, they won't be playing come fall.

ChiefsCountry
04-18-2005, 09:24 AM
Hokies looked good. Marcus Vick has a gun....he's a little tentative with his decision, but is much more accurate than his older brother. Hokie defense looked great as usual.

I wonder if Marcus goes by the name Don Mexico.

chief husker
04-18-2005, 09:42 AM
Sorry Big 12 cornerbacks. You won't have Joe Dailey from Nebraska throwing balls at you anymore. Dailey is number four on the chart. Why? Cause we loaded at QB! 63000 faithful showed up to watch the Husker transformation begin. Defense looks sound. Offense is damn scary. I have solid hopes for this year. The next year, with more of Callahan's recruits and familiarity with the system, could be huge. Go big red.

Abba-Dabba
04-18-2005, 09:47 AM
I'm not a Nebraska fan but...

Butler CCC transfer Zac Taylor went 20-27 357yds 3TD.... in the 1st half.

Saulbadguy
04-18-2005, 09:54 AM
I'm not a Nebraska fan but...

Butler CCC transfer Zac Taylor went 20-27 357yds 3TD.... in the 1st half.
I wonder if thats the product of a strong offense, or a weak defense...or both. I think the Blackskirts defense is very suspect, especially after losing Fabian Washington , Bullocks, and Ruud. Those guys were their playmakers, and Callyhan loaded up on offensive prospects this year.

Corn fans...are all of you recruits going to qualify?

vailpass
04-18-2005, 10:44 AM
I wonder if Marcus goes by the name Don Mexico.
ROFL
Isn't Marcus the knucklehead who developed a nice rap sheet including a drug bust last year?

vailpass
04-18-2005, 10:53 AM
Iowa's Spring Practice (long):

April 16, 2005
Ferentz Wraps Up Spring Practice
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom Kakert
Publisher

Another session of spring practice is in the books for the Iowa Hawkeyes and following the final practice of the spring season, Kirk Ferentz met with the media to talk about a variety of topics. It appears that there are plenty of starting positions still open and Ferentz talks about the competition for those jobs, updates injuries, and much more.

Tom Kakert

Coach Ferentz is pleased with the progress his team has made during the 15 spring practices.
Q: How do you think the spring went overall?

FERENTZ: We are very pleased. We stayed fairly healthy, which is always a concern. Secondly, I think that our effort was there and our players concentrated for the most part. We still have a lot of work to do, but we have improved a great deal.

Q: Any significant injuries that are going to linger?

FERENTZ: Bryan Mattison is the major one that has happened so far. Then we talked about Lee Gray and that is a situation that we are going to have to look at right now. Outside of that we are in pretty good shape and most of the guys are on the rebound.

Q: Will Gray and Mattison be ready in August?

FERENTZ: I think Bryan has a chance to be ready in June and Gray we are not sure yet. It is something we are looking at.

Q: Is Gray knee problem the same as last year?

FERENTZ: Yep, same thing.

Q: Is he looking at a scope?

FERENTZ: Yeah, that is what we are pondering right now.

Q: Was anyone able to separate themselves this spring?

FERENTZ: Yeah, I think we have different tiers. I think most of our established players really did a good job and got better. Usually the change with those guys is not as dramatic. I think we had a lot of guys emerge that have maybe played a little bit or not at all. We feel like they are going to play pretty well. Then it is always fun to watch some of the guys who have not worked at all with the first and second team get in there and see how they react.

Q: With so many veteran players, how much smoother could practice have gone?

FERENTZ: I don't know if we have that many more veteran players overall other than that they changed location. We are a lot more veteran on the offensive line this year than we were a year ago, but it is a flip on the defensive side. Our defensive line is an area that we are going to have to follow closely. It is way to early to predict who is going to emerge from that group other than Kenny and Matt Kroul, they have been the most consistent. That will be part of the fun in August, just seeing who emerges.

Q: You mentioned the rushing stat the other day. Have you been throwing that out there to your offensive linemen?

FERENTZ: Not really. Our guys are all aware. I am not a big one for taking negative stats and putting someone's nose in it. Secondly, there were some conditions last year that led to it. We have always been a team that might not always be stats oriented, but we try to get results. The challenge is to put your pieces together so your bottom line is good.

Q: But, it will probably be mentioned in the preview stuff that you won ten games and we second to last in rushing.

FERENTZ: (laugh) I think it is something our team can be proud of actually. To win at a high level without a running attack is not easy to do especially with the way we are built. I really think it was a positive and it was not like the reason we did not have success there was pretty understandable. We are counting on having a more balanced offense next year.

Q: Did a running back really jump out? This was supposed to be Marques Simmons opportunity.

FERENTZ: I thought all of the guys did a good job. Sam has been steady all of the way through last year. I thought Marques improved and he is a better football player than he was a year ago. I think Damian has improved a great deal. It is probably what you would expect because he was a true freshman last year. He has really matured and knows the offense a lot better now.

Q: Without a spring game, are you happy about that and happy now that it is over?

FERENTZ: There was no choice. We did not have any options on this one. We would all still prefer to be in Kinnick Stadium and playing in front of a crowd. I think it is fair to say that we probably would have had a nice crowd today. I am still hopeful that we can duplicate something like that in August. I guess it is not technically a spring game, but have an open house anyway and get our guys in front of fans because I think that is important.

Q: Did they enjoy the limited amount of fans today?

FERENTZ: I think anything that is different is ok. They are tired of seeing our faces and hearing our voices. I think that is a positive. It reminded me of my Worcester Academy days. (laugh)

Q: What is the plan for these guys from now until August?

FERENTZ: The next three weeks they have a little different type of training and they have a little bit more time on their hands. The big thing is getting ready for their finals. They have some time off in May and then they get back and work hard in June and July with the summer program. Every year we expect them to come to camp in August not only physically ready, but mentally as well.

Q: Did you come to a conclusion on your center position?

FERENTZ: Yeah the conclusion is that last year I was not sure we had one and now I think we have three or four guys that could go in a game and play pretty well. That is kind of representative of the depth on our line right now. I think we have some real interesting battles going. I think we have a lot of jobs that are up for battle right now. We have Brian, Mike, and Ben Cronin who have all played in Big Ten games at center. I think Todd Plagman could jump in there and Rob Bruggeman has done a nice job too.

Q: Are you a little more comfortable with this team now heading into the break?

FERENTZ: I think that a couple of the things are that we did not get to see some of the guys who were injured, especially on the defensive line. The nice thing about spring ball is that it is all teaching and you watch guys progress over the course of 15 days and the picture becomes a little clearer. The big thing is that most people improved and made some strides. We have some areas where we have experience, but we also have some areas where we are going to have to shore up a bit. Overall, I feel good. I think the effort was there. I think the concentration was there and we avoided injuries for the most part.

Q: Is this strictly a two quarterback team right now?

FERENTZ: Cy Phillips had a funeral and had to leave today. We feel that Cy has made improvement and like our offensive line, we know a lot more about our quarterbacks now than we did a year ago when Drew had never started a game and Jason was a little younger. They still have work to do and have to clean up, but at least we know we have some guys that can go in and play well for us.

Q: Coach Aiken seemed like the busiest guy on the field today. Are there areas of concern with the guys on the defensive line coming out of the spring?

FERENTZ: Anytime you have a situation where you have not really seen a player play on the game field, it is certainly a concern. I don't know if concern is the right word, but you are going to watch that close until you get to the right guys out there. But that is college football. The big thing is that it is four guys and not just one or two. All that being said, what I have seen the last ten days is that outside of a couple of guys, the top five or six are going the right direction. We have a good idea what Kenny and Matt can do and we have some other guys working. Mike Follett is working in right now and I think he will be fine in that position. I think we will be ok, but it will go right up until September with that and probably extend beyond that.

Q: Two or three years into your time here at Iowa, would you have even envisioned that your team would be considered an underdog candidate for the national title?

FERENTZ: I am not sure that I can envision that one. It is down the road a little bit. Our goal has always been the same each and every year. Our hope has always been that we are team that has a chance in the conference in November. That is really first and foremeost on our mind. Hopefully in November we are playing for something significant. Two of the last three years, we have been fortunate to be in that position. I think everyone around here realizes how hard it is get to the that point. If you are achieving that, then some thing on the grander scales will be there for you. First things first. Getting to November is the biggest trick.

Q: It seems like some of the guys that have had problems with getting into trouble that respond to those things in a positive manner and improve.

FERENTZ: It is hard for a team to deal with distractions and I think it is hard for individuals as well. The best players that I have been around knew how to keep things in their proper place. It is like being a good team, everything has to be right. To be a good player at the Big Ten level you have to have things in order. I don't think you can have a lot of rough edges and maximize your potential. That is something that we talk to our players about and it is important to have things in order.

Q: Do you feel like someone like Marques Simmons has gotten that message?

FERENTZ: Based on what I have seen. I think his focus has been very good and has done a nice job.

Q: How has Simmons improved in the last month?

FERENTZ: I think he just looks more comfortable. He is working at a real high level. He has been able to stay injury free, which is critical and a little bit of a problem for him previously. Then naturally his concepts of understanding continue to improve from being out there on a regular basis.

Q: Can you talk about the NFL Combine and how do you talk to your players about what that is like and how difficult it can be?

FERENTZ: I think they treat prisoners of war better. (laugh) That is part of the process really and I think it probably by design. I think it is almost like a mental test. They get them up early and take over for test and it is very inhumane. You get poked and prodded. You are someone's investment, so you can understand that. I remember one of my first NFL memories was that they brought everybody in and they measured everything. Not everything (laugh), but their hands, reach, all of that kind of stuff. You have this guy sitting in front of about two or three hundred NFL people, almost naked, getting measured. It is a full couple of days for the guys involved and then they have the workout at the end of it.

It is a little bit of an endurance test and I would imagine it is set up that way to see how guys will handle it.

Q: You were sent there your first year in Cleveland?

FERENTZ: Yep.

Q: Were you thinking what in the heck is going on here?

FERENTZ: Yeah, I was thinking this is interesting. But, there is a reason for it. I never bought a horse, but I guess it is something like that. (laugh)

Q: Does Jon Gallery have a lock on the punter job?

FERENTZ: No. We have very few locks on our team right now. The punting situation is wide open right now. I think Chad and Abdul have firmed up their positions, but we have a lot of open positions right now, which is good. It is really healthy.

Q: What will go into your decision making at that position?

FERENTZ: We had 15 days back in December, where I guess the scrutiny intensified and the same thing now. The longer you do things, the more clearly they play out. But, sometimes they don't. We might go into September and play this guy or another. If that is the case then you play both guys and see how it plays out.

Q: Does anyone have an edge at punter right now?

FERENTZ: I don't think so right now. We are pleased with both, but we will see how things shake out. It is a little bit like the offensive line where we have three guys who have positions kind of nailed down, but we have some guys in contention for some things.

Q: Who are the three guys on the offensive line that have things nailed down?

FERENTZ: The three guys that have played the most, Mike Jones, Mike Elgin, and Brian Ferentz. Those three guys have really had solid springs. We have a lot of things open for debate right now.

http://iowa.rivals.com/default.asp?SR=RivalsFP

DaKCMan AP
04-18-2005, 11:16 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=113870

htismaqe
04-18-2005, 11:27 AM
article omitted in the interest of saving space

I think Lee Gray is done...

So what do you think of how ADAMANT Ferentz is about downplaying the hype this spring?

I think it's pretty funny.

Saulbadguy
04-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Any KU/MU fans go to their respective spring games? I would have gone to the KU one had I not had a Royals game that day.

vailpass
04-18-2005, 11:54 AM
I think Lee Gray is done...

So what do you think of how ADAMANT Ferentz is about downplaying the hype this spring?

I think it's pretty funny.

There are a couple of guys on the Insider board at Rivals.com who say Gray is definetley finished. You never can tell but it pretty much looks like that knee is permanent toast. Really too bad; I feel sorry for him.

Good call on Coach Ferentz giving the old "po'boy" routine. You just know he learned that from the all time po'boy master: Hayden "Scratch Where it Itches" Fry. It's important to manage expectations with Hawk fans otherwise we get carried away.

htismaqe
04-18-2005, 12:13 PM
There are a couple of guys on the Insider board at Rivals.com who say Gray is definetley finished. You never can tell but it pretty much looks like that knee is permanent toast. Really too bad; I feel sorry for him.

Good call on Coach Ferentz giving the old "po'boy" routine. You just know he learned that from the all time po'boy master: Hayden "Scratch Where it Itches" Fry. It's important to manage expectations with Hawk fans otherwise we get carried away.

See, I'm not a member of what Steve Deace calls the Jihadic wing of the Hawkeye nation. I definitely don't see this team as a national championship contender, at least not yet. I'm waiting to see what they do at RB and d-line first...

vailpass
04-18-2005, 12:21 PM
Jihadic wing of the Hawkeye nation

:LOL:

That's great, I've never heard that.

I'm with you, I realize we are an awfully good team considering we really have no elite talent at the skill positions. I was at the Orange Bowl three years ago when we played USC and witnessed first-hand what an elite team looks like.

On the other hand I'm happy as hell with the direction we are heading and the hard-nosed, disciplined, team-tackling play Ferentz has instilled. We may win or we may lose but you will damn sure know you were in a football game. It's not completely crazy to think the Hawks could play for a title someday soon.
Of course I can remember when Gordy Bohannon was running the three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offense and Kinnick used to erupt whenever the Hawks would get a FIRST DOWN! After that, any winning season is a good thing.

htismaqe
04-18-2005, 12:34 PM
:LOL:

That's great, I've never heard that.

I'm with you, I realize we are an awfully good team considering we really have no elite talent at the skill positions. I was at the Orange Bowl three years ago when we played USC and witnessed first-hand what an elite team looks like.

On the other hand I'm happy as hell with the direction we are heading and the hard-nosed, disciplined, team-tackling play Ferentz has instilled. We may win or we may lose but you will damn sure know you were in a football game. It's not completely crazy to think the Hawks could play for a title someday soon.
Of course I can remember when Gordy Bohannon was running the three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offense and Kinnick used to erupt whenever the Hawks would get a FIRST DOWN! After that, any winning season is a good thing.

I think they will compete for a NC in the near future, I just don't know if it will be NEXT YEAR.

The thing is, Ferentz has won 30 games in 3 years with 2 and 3-star players because of his disciplined, fundamentals-based approach.

What is this team going to be like in a couple of years, using the same approach, with 4 and 5-star players? :drool:

vailpass
04-18-2005, 12:40 PM
I think they will compete for a NC in the near future, I just don't know if it will be NEXT YEAR.

The thing is, Ferentz has won 30 games in 3 years with 2 and 3-star players because of his disciplined, fundamentals-based approach.

What is this team going to be like in a couple of years, using the same approach, with 4 and 5-star players? :drool:

No doubt. This year's draft class contains a number one ranked RB, a five star O-lineman and several four star guys. Thing to watch is whether Ferentz can find 5 star players who will follow the discipline and work ethic of the program. Talent is great but if you are a f*ck-up criminal boy from the hood who causes trouble, can hardly speak intelligible english and don't mind slapping around yo bitches then you belong at Miami or Arizona State, not Iowa. Hopefully coach can harvest talent that does not bring ghetto troubles with it.

skky man
04-18-2005, 12:52 PM
Hay Big 12 North don't worry about spring games cuz it will come down to OU or the Longhorns this year. Hopefully OU!

alanm
04-18-2005, 01:08 PM
I wonder if thats the product of a strong offense, or a weak defense...or both. I think the Blackskirts defense is very suspect, especially after losing Fabian Washington , Bullocks, and Ruud. Those guys were their playmakers, and Callyhan loaded up on offensive prospects this year.

Corn fans...are all of you recruits going to qualify?
As far as I know Saul everyone has qualified. Taylor was going up against the 2nd and 3rd string in the spring game. But the kid has a cannon arm and is extremely accurate. The defense looks to be pretty good. Certainly better than last year. And I can't wait till the rest of the studs get her in the summer. Teams are going to have a hard time stopping the Huskers from putting points on the board this fall. I'd say right now in all my homerism we have to be one of the favorites for the North title. If there was a weak spot it would still be the secondary at the moment but the talent to be very good is there. Zac Bowman arrives this summer and if you recall he was the #1 CB recruit in the nation this winter. Runs a 4.2 40 IIRC. Linebacker position and defensive line will be very strong.

Saulbadguy
04-18-2005, 01:11 PM
Hay Big 12 North don't worry about spring games cuz it will come down to OU or the Longhorns this year. Hopefully OU!
Texas will win the South. The North is wide open.

Saulbadguy
04-18-2005, 01:13 PM
As far as I know Saul everyone has qualified. Taylor was going up against the 2nd and 3rd string in the spring game. But the kid has a cannon arm and is extremely accurate. The defense looks to be pretty good. Certainly better than last year. And I can't wait till the rest of the studs get her in the summer. Teams are going to have a hard time stopping the Huskers from putting points on the board this fall. I'd say right now in all my homerism we have to be one of the favorites for the North title. If there was a weak spot it would still be the secondary at the moment but the talent to be very good is there. Zac Bowman arrives this summer and if you recall he was the #1 CB recruit in the nation this winter. Runs a 4.2 40 IIRC. Linebacker position and defensive line will be very strong.
IIRC Bowman was the #1 JUCO CB Recruit in the nation. Still, your defense was awful last year. The jury is still out on Callyhan.

Plus I don't think there is a favorite to win the North. IMO, its as wide open as it will ever be.

alanm
04-18-2005, 01:20 PM
IIRC Bowman was the #1 JUCO CB Recruit in the nation. Still, your defense was awful last year. The jury is still out on Callyhan.

Plus I don't think there is a favorite to win the North. IMO, its as wide open as it will ever be.
Defensive line was awful last year and got no pass rush. Plus they jerked around the secondary last fall. That and injuries to a few CB's resulted in a bad secondary last year. That's after leading the nation in pass defense the year before with the same guys. Go figure. Anyway, I'm encouraged by what I saw. The offense will be awesome. :thumb: They could be a clone of the Chiefs where in order to beat them you have to out score them. But I think the defense is going to be quite good regardless. Strong on the dline and at LB. Ability at secondary is there but green still.

Saulbadguy
04-18-2005, 01:24 PM
That's after leading the nation in pass defense the year before with the same guys. Go figure.
Thats called "bad coaching". We'll see how Zac Taylor does, though. I still don't think you guys have the WR's for a WCO..yet. The guys you have brought in will develop eventually, but I don't think next year will be the year. Plus, you still have Callyhan. I don't think the Husker boosters will put up with another season like last.

Saulbadguy
04-18-2005, 06:30 PM
http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2005/04/18/huskerextra/doc426433123e711351422235.txt

Bye bye Joe...K-State fans will miss you!

alanm
04-18-2005, 11:12 PM
http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2005/04/18/huskerextra/doc426433123e711351422235.txt

Bye bye Joe...K-State fans will miss you!
It's too bad he's decided to leave but he was one of Solich's recruits. Not many of them left. Certainly not many on offense anymore. If your not a accurate throwing QB who can go through progressions at light speed Calahan has no room for you. :shake: Dailey was a option QB but he was the guy we were stuck with last fall. Not anymore. :thumb:

alanm
04-18-2005, 11:16 PM
You realize of course Saul that Dailey would be a perfect fit at Kansas St. Since they run our old offense. :hmmm:

keg in kc
04-18-2005, 11:17 PM

What is this team going to be like in a couple of years, using the same approach, with 4 and 5-star players?Parker, one thing to keep in mind is that while 2- and 3-star players may listen and work hard, some 4- and 5-star players may not necessarily react well to a structured, disciplined approach, simply because of ego. Should be interesting to watch.

ChiefsCountry
04-18-2005, 11:52 PM
Texas will win the South. The North is wide open.

If Mizzou plays to their potential they should win it this year with Smith and their D. Starting next year, the Big Red machine is back and it hurts me to say that.

alanm
04-19-2005, 12:03 AM
If Mizzou plays to their potential they should win it this year with Smith and their D. Starting next year, the Big Red machine is back and it hurts me to say that.
They may be back sooner than you think. They're going to put points on the board this year for sure. Don't know how good the defense is going to be at this point but it should be decent. But in order to beat Nebraska this fall teams will have to keep pace with them offensively. :thumb: