PDA

View Full Version : English Bull Mastiff

munkey
04-19-2005, 12:43 PM
I picked the new family member (Buddy) last friday and brought him home on Saturday. As I recall someone on here purchased one not to long ago...

Any advise or tips on trainging?

So far everthing has gone extremely smooth considering he's only 5 weeks old. Other than chewing on everthing around him he's very mellow and well tempered.

~Picks to follow when my lap is fixed...~

tyton75
04-19-2005, 12:49 PM
just make sure you get it under control before he gets older.. those things are STRONG!!!

but also very good family pets.. nice choice!

MOhillbilly
04-19-2005, 12:50 PM
gulp.
Oh dude bad move,they are prone to eat children.:shake:

Ask Bwana he'll tell you.

Phobia
04-19-2005, 12:50 PM
You should get him a chair, couch and a few other assorted chew toys.

Radar Chief
04-19-2005, 12:54 PM
I picked the new family member (Buddy) last friday and brought him home on Saturday. As I recall someone on here purchased one not to long ago...

Any advise or tips on trainging?

So far everthing has gone extremely smooth considering he's only 5 weeks old. Other than chewing on everthing around him he's very mellow and well tempered.

~Picks to follow when my lap is fixed...~

Keep plenty of chew toys around so he’s got alternatives to your furniture, and house break him early if at all possible. Those things take Raiders that’d make a Clydesdale jealous.

RaiderH8r
04-19-2005, 01:04 PM
A Toyota Prius would be a good start.

eazyb81
04-19-2005, 01:08 PM
Get him a Galileo bone, those things last forever. I got one for my pit and he loves it.

wilas101
04-19-2005, 01:27 PM
Has he started slobbering yet?

My sister and brother in law bought a neopolitan mastiff. He's really cool looking. Gray fur and yellowish eyes but he drools like mad.

I think its funny but I don't have to clean it all up.

munkey
04-19-2005, 01:55 PM

Funny you should say that as he's chewed up some of the kids old furniture already....

Damn funny dog in respect that I've never seen one literally just try and chew everything...

Owell....At least he's not keeping us up at night and relieving himself in the bedroom at night...

munkey
04-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Has he started slobbering yet?

No but I'm not sure that the English is that known for that....

His ears do hit the water when he drinks though...

munkey
04-19-2005, 01:57 PM
Those things take Raiders that’d make a Clydesdale jealous.

ROFL

The first dump the wife witnessed just about made her cry...

NewChief
04-19-2005, 01:59 PM
Get him a Galileo bone, those things last forever. I got one for my pit and he loves it.

They are awesome, but have you ever noticed that they're disturbingly phallic? Especially when my lab puts almost the whole thing in his mouth point first with only the scrotal-like protrusion sticking out of his mouth.

You all can be the judge:

eazyb81
04-19-2005, 02:37 PM
They are awesome, but have you ever noticed that they're disturbingly phallic? Especially when my lab puts almost the whole thing in his mouth point first with only the scrotal-like protrusion sticking out of his mouth.

You all can be the judge:

ROFL haha, I never thought about it like that, but you are right.

I could care less what it looks like, as long as it keeps me from wasting money buying rawhide bones every week.

tyton75
04-19-2005, 02:57 PM
You could also buy a Kong rubber chew toy... I got a red one for my lab... you can actually put treats inside of it or peanut butter for them to start chewing on it..

MOhillbilly
04-19-2005, 03:01 PM
You could also buy a Kong rubber chew toy... I got a red one for my lab... you can actually put treats inside of it or peanut butter for them to start chewing on it..

Thats what i buy.
they love these.
http://www.doggy-gifts.com/s.nl/sc.24/category.242/.f;jsessionid=ac112b1b1f43946fce60c8fd4418a5edcd21fad5cc05.qQvJq2PEmlnva30O-BbQmkLz-ATzr6Lzn6rzqwTxpQOUc30KaNDNo6XKq6zInRmLa30Q8RbCpR0HoA5Qmh0Kb2TNo6XK-kDvrA4Ka3eIqRnvp6iIpAjOp6jynQjM-AbJpgaMa3uNahyNaxeQ8Oexo6XHngbynknvrkLOlQzNp65In0__

eazyb81
04-19-2005, 03:04 PM

Yeah, I actually have two of those (a big black one and a smaller red one) but my APBT doesn't really like them that much. I used to put peanut butter in there for him to mess with, but he would just lick the peanut butter and leave it alone after that.

For some reason my dog just loves chewing on something hard, and once I got him a Galileo he has never left it alone. He even keeps it right next to him when he goes to sleep.

UTChief
04-19-2005, 04:39 PM
I sudgest strongly that you feed an exspencive large breed puppy food because of the size of your dog, the large breed puppy dog food will controle the growth of the dog so it dosn't grow too fast, he is going to be 160lbs to 180lbs nomater what, if he grows to fast you will end up with joint problems and other helth problems. If your tight with money and think you are wasting money $39.00 per 44lbs is what I pay, wait untill the vet bills start rolling in I have went through this first hand and the breed of dog wasn't that large. I recomend the nutro brand, dogs like the tast and it's a premium grade dog food and you can buy it at most petsmart stores.
I am a big fan of the bullmastiff I almost bought them to breed but I settled on Boxers mainly because of the shorter life of the mastiff 10 years I get too atached.

eazyb81
04-19-2005, 04:45 PM
I sudgest strongly that you feed an exspencive large breed puppy food because of the size of your dog, the large breed puppy dog food will controle the growth of the dog so it dosn't grow too fast, he is going to be 160lbs to 180lbs nomater what, if he grows to fast you will end up with joint problems and other helth problems. If your tight with money and think you are wasting money $39.00 per 44lbs is what I pay, wait untill the vet bills start rolling in I have went through this first hand and the breed of dog wasn't that large. I recomend the nutro brand, dogs like the tast and it's a premium grade dog food and you can buy it at most petsmart stores.
I am a big fan of the bullmastiff I almost bought them to breed but I settled on Boxers mainly because of the shorter life of the mastiff 10 years I get too atached.

I 2nd the Nutro brand dog food, it is high quality, much better then the crap they sell at places like Walmart. If you are getting a quality dog you need to feed it a quality dog food.

NewChief
04-19-2005, 05:35 PM
I 2nd the Nutro brand dog food, it is high quality, much better then the crap they sell at places like Walmart. If you are getting a quality dog you need to feed it a quality dog food.

I 3rd Nutro, though they seem to have recently changed their formula. It's still good stuff. Someone on here is actually a pet food sales rep, I believe. Can't remember who, though.

Bill Lundberg
04-19-2005, 06:19 PM

Boxers' life span is generally only 10-12 years.

Bwana
04-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Ha, good for you. I got my English Mastiff last year not knowing what to expect and he is a great dog. He is now 9 months old and 140 pounds. He should be 250 plus when he's done. Here is a shot of Justice from about 10 days ago.

UTChief
04-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Boxers' life span is generally only 10-12 years.
Not acording to American Boxer club 14 years

Bill Lundberg
04-19-2005, 06:41 PM
Not acording to American Boxer club 14 years

I hope you're right. I did a search on "Boxer Life Span" and 90% of the sites say 10-12.

Meet Tanner

UTChief
04-19-2005, 07:44 PM
I hope you're right. I did a search on "Boxer Life Span" and 90% of the sites say 10-12.

Meet Tanner
It looks like you are closer to being right than me, I tryed to find were I read that and I missread it, it said upto 14 but most 10 to 12. nice looking dog I will find a pick of mine and edit this post and post in a few.

Bill Lundberg
04-19-2005, 08:19 PM
What great looking dogs! I've decided my next one will be a brindle. There's not much cuter than a boxer pup.

munkey
04-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Here's some pics...

Hammock Parties
04-20-2005, 12:05 PM

Meet Tanner

Most big dog breeds don't live very long.

That is one thing I hate about dogs. Why do they only live 10, 15 or 20 years at the most? Sucks. :(

Bwana
04-20-2005, 12:08 PM
Here's some pics...

Sweet looking shots munkey. He reminds me of Justice 8 months ago.