PDA

View Full Version : Gretz: The Draft Picture

keg in kc
04-20-2005, 04:17 AM
GRETZ: The Draft Picture (http://kcchiefs.com/news/2005/04/20/gretz_the_draft_picture/)

Apr 20, 2005, 4:51:56 AM by Bob Gretz

Trying to decipher the Chiefs approach in the NFL Draft must take into account the “big picture.”

That’s because the man who makes the decisions on draft day is a big-picture guy. From the time he took over the Chiefs in 1989, Carl Peterson has always looked upon the annual selection meeting as the place to answer long-term roster needs. Yes, there have been drafts where Peterson has filled an immediate need early. But the majority of his early picks over 16 drafts have been with an eye on the big picture of the roster.

So as we try to figure out where the Chiefs will take this 2005 draft, let’s start with at the big picture and examine where the team is growing old. Here are the starters and key contributors who are over 30 (age at which they will play most of the 2005 season :)

35 – LT Willie Roaf and QB Trent Green

34 – RG Will Shields, QB Todd Collins, and WR Johnnie Morton

33 – FB Tony Richardson

32 – C Casey Wiegmann, WR Eddie Kennison, QB Damon Huard, RB Priest Holmes, DT John Browning, CB Dexter McCleon, S Jerome Woods

31 – TE Jason Dunn, DE Gary Stills

30 – DT Lional Dalton, S Sammy Knight

If the Chiefs made this draft about simply the “big picture” then they would concentrate on the offense, as eight offensive starters will be 32 or older during the coming season. Check the current roster and there is no obvious replacement in the pipeline for Roaf at the all important left tackle spot. Jordan Black and Kevin Sampson are young players who have played tackle, but they are considered best on the right side. The team’s depth chart lists third-year man Brett Williams as the backup, but in two seasons the former fourth-round pick hasn’t been able to get on the field, let alone play left tackle.

Shields has yet to state his intentions for the 2005 season, but the Chiefs expect him to return. Ready to step in to his spot are Black and John Welbourn, who is 29 years old. That makes right guard less of an immediate concern.

Both starting receivers in Morton and Kennison will be 34 and 32 this season and none of the backups have been able to get them out of the opening play. And, all three quarterbacks are over 30, although Green will be a young 35 this year, given his early career inactivity.

Defensively, safety is the spot where the Chiefs are older. Woods and Knight will both be 30 or older this season. Greg Wesley and Shaunard Harts are 27. Defensive tackle has gotten a lot of draft attention over the last four years, yet two of the key members of the rotations will be 30 or older this season, in Dalton and Browning.

OK, that’s the big picture. The little picture is quite obvious: the Chiefs need defensive help. The deal with, and for Patrick Surtain still has not been consummated, so they need cornerbacks. They need bodies at linebacker as well. The rotation at defensive end remains shallow with Eric Hicks, Jared Allen and the recently acquired Carlos Hall. Third-year man Jimmy Wilkerson has shown promise, but hasn’t been able to generate a lot of playing time.

Process all the information and this is what the Chiefs shopping list looks like for this week: Impact defensive player at safety, outside linebacker or cornerback.
Another impact defensive player.
Defensive end who can challenge to be part of the regular rotation
Wide receiver with speed.
Offensive lineman with the potential to play left tackle.
Punter.
Big tight end, as possible replacement for Dunn.
Running back, more along the lines of a halfback, than fullback, to replace the departed Derrick Blaylock.Coming up on Friday, we’ll try to put some names with this shopping list.

The opinions offered in this column do not necessarily reflect those of the Kansas City Chiefs.

keg in kc
04-20-2005, 04:21 AM
I love how "impact defensive player at safety" is first on his list.

KC Margarita Man
04-20-2005, 04:57 AM
How is getting impact defensive help "the little picture"? This is need #1. and thus becomes the " big picture." For someone who is supposed to have inside knowledge, Gretz has no clue.

yoswif
04-20-2005, 05:16 AM
It doesn't make sense to use a high pick and a large signing bonus to get Surtain and then pass on a quality DE at #15. The only DE the Chiefs have that pressured the QB last season is Jared Allen.

Bob Dole
04-20-2005, 05:26 AM
Bob Dole has been saying it for 4 years, but he'll say it one more time.

There's a wide receiver with speed out of Oklahoma who would be a good pick in the 5th round.

htismaqe
04-20-2005, 05:29 AM
How is getting impact defensive help "the little picture"? This is need #1. and thus becomes the " big picture." For someone who is supposed to have inside knowledge, Gretz has no clue.

Sorry, but he's right.

We've spent 80% of our drafts on defense since Vermeil got here. The fact that we suck at it has left us drafting for the "little picture" -- immediate need -- instead of the "big picture" -- depth for an EXTREMELY old offense.

htismaqe
04-20-2005, 05:30 AM
It doesn't make sense to use a high pick and a large signing bonus to get Surtain and then pass on a quality DE at #15. The only DE the Chiefs have that pressured the QB last season is Jared Allen.

We know, we know. Bring back the pass rush and the Arrowhead crowd will be feared again. :rolleyes:

shaneo69
04-20-2005, 09:09 AM
Quote by Gretz: "Process all the information and this is what the Chiefs shopping list looks like for this week:

1) Impact defensive player at safety, outside linebacker or cornerback."

WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER F*CKING SAFETY!!!!

Brock
04-20-2005, 09:14 AM
Quote by Gretz: "Process all the information and this is what the Chiefs shopping list looks like for this week:

One that didn't suck would be all right.

RaiderH8r
04-20-2005, 09:16 AM
One that didn't suck would be all right.
Quality over quantity...YAY. Bread makes me poop...YAY

HemiEd
04-20-2005, 09:25 AM
Sorry, but he's right.

We've spent 80% of our drafts on defense since Vermeil got here. The fact that we suck at it has left us drafting for the "little picture" -- immediate need -- instead of the "big picture" -- depth for an EXTREMELY old offense.

Exactly. This offense need some youth injection, I would enjoy seeing some high draft choices on offense.

milkman
04-20-2005, 09:27 AM
I love how "impact defensive player at safety" is first on his list.

Thomas Davis, anyone?

shaneo69
04-20-2005, 09:28 AM
This offense need some youth injection, I would enjoy seeing some high draft choices on offense.

OMG.....somebody kill me now. Please.

KCTitus
04-20-2005, 09:34 AM

LOL...since this is most likely DV's last year, I say go Defense just one more time. Next year, the offense will need rebuilding for sure.

HemiEd
04-20-2005, 09:45 AM

ROFL

So the point of this whole thing to me is this. We have built an awesome offense, how? Very quickly through adding the correct free agents and trades, it is well documented how few of these starters we actually drafted.

We built this crappy defense how? By drafting them!

So you wan't to continue drafting Defensive players to fix the problem for this year? Do you honestly believe we are going to draft some College kids that are going to come in and fix this defense right now?
Please, the lesson is very clear. Continue plugging in veterans in the defense to fix it, infuse some young talent into the offense to maintain the level that they have achieved. I for one do not want to see them hit the bottom again after this year.

htismaqe
04-20-2005, 09:46 AM

I'll take Thomas Davis...

AS AN OLB ONLY!

Otter
04-20-2005, 09:48 AM
Sure is a good thing the we didn't take a QB prospect for the last, oh, about 10 years now. Certainly don't need one there with 35 year old Green and the shining group under him.

If Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers were to drop to 15 they would be nuts not to take him.

:shake:

HemiEd
04-20-2005, 10:16 AM
Sure is a good thing the we didn't take a QB prospect for the last, oh, about 10 years now. Certainly don't need one there with 35 year old Green and the shining group under him.

If Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers were to drop to 15 they would be nuts not to take him.

Agreed, see my post 15 on this thread. :harumph:

Mark M
04-20-2005, 10:39 AM

Those would be the only offensive players I'd be happy with at #15.

I would not have an issue with getting a WR or Olineman in 2nd round and later, but that first pick has GOT to be on defense, IMHO.

Drafting for the long-term future is not the best plan when the window is only about an inch open on this team.

MM
~~:arrow:

KCTitus
04-20-2005, 10:42 AM
Sure is a good thing the we didn't take a QB prospect for the last, oh, about 10 years now. Certainly don't need one there with 35 year old Green and the shining group under him...

Actually, the last 8 years...Stenstrom and Barnes were drafted in the 4th rounds of 95 and 97 respectively. :D

ROYC75
04-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Big picture ? If the Chiefs don't get to a SB soon, no big screen tv can handle this BIG PICTURE.

CoMoChief
04-20-2005, 11:46 AM
Im telling ya guys we need Matt Jones. No one in the NFL can stay with his speed and with being 6-6 240 he can power over smaller d backs and out jump anyone in the NFL with his 6-6 frame and 40in verticle. Those kinda things you cant teach. We score every time when we have good field position, but with Matt Jones we can stretch the field and score every time. Jones is gonna be a stud.

Otter
04-20-2005, 12:04 PM
Actually, the last 8 years...Stenstrom and Barnes were drafted in the 4th rounds of 95 and 97 respectively. :D

I said "about", "about" dammit!!!

Pat Barnes, the pre-season Joe Montana who broke his wrist and went to the Raiders.

Big picture ? If the Chiefs don't get to a SB soon, no big screen tv can handle this BIG PICTURE.

A penta post...nice!!!

htismaqe
04-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Shut up about Matt Jones already.

bsp4444
04-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Didn't we sign a running back to replacel Blaylock? Former Titan, former Ram Robert Holcombe? That should be sufficient for that position. Next year in the LATE rounds we can look for youth, but we have depth.

Bob Dole
04-20-2005, 12:09 PM
Im telling ya guys we need Matt Jones. No one in the NFL can stay with his speed and with being 6-6 240 he can power over smaller d backs and out jump anyone in the NFL with his 6-6 frame and 40in verticle. Those kinda things you cant teach. We score every time when we have good field position, but with Matt Jones we can stretch the field and score every time. Jones is gonna be a stud.

Amazing analysis of the abilities of a receiver who <b>hasn't played a down at wide receiver since he was a junior in high school</b>.

Logical
04-20-2005, 12:16 PM
What an insightful article, I wonder how long it took his son to write it for him.