PDA

View Full Version : FO Moves...A New Perspective

jspchief
04-23-2005, 08:22 AM
Like others here, I think at least a part of our inactivity last off-season was to make room for moves this year. Now, looking at it from a 2 year perspective, I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

What LB was available last year that you would have rather had than Bell?
What CB was available last year that you'd prefer over Surtain?
What S?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone from '04 FA that was better than who we got in '05 FA. Of course, you also have to factor in the '04 W/L record. But in the long run, I think we may have come out a bit better than if we had been active last year.

ExtremeChief
04-23-2005, 08:29 AM
While it may work out for the best this year, I really don't think the FO had a '2 year plan'. I think they thought Gunther would make more of a difference than he did.

I am very pleased with the new additions so far though.

jspchief
04-23-2005, 08:37 AM
I'm not saying it was really a plan that they had. I'm just saying that the overall result may end up better. There weren't a lot of great FAs that I can remember in '03. We could have been active and taken more Vonnie Hollidays and Dexter McCleons. I'm glad we didn't.

I do think part of it was they thought Gun would have a bigger impact. I think the other part was simply money.

I'm not trying to give any props to the Chiefs FO so much as making note of the outcome.

Hammock Parties
04-23-2005, 08:38 AM
It seems to me that the FO wanted to wait and see how the current defense would do with a defensive coordinator that didn't have his head up his ass.

While most of us here thought we needed an upgrade on talent, it wasn't GLARINGLY obvious like it was this past season.

Manila-Chief
04-23-2005, 08:47 AM
If it was a plan it was stupid on their part. A team on the verge of winning doesn't say we will sit still this year and lose a lot of games so we can win next year. Too, much can happen in one year to change the whole outlook.

Yes, a team that is building may do a longer plan but they know they are not close this year.

Who knows if they had been active last year we may have celebrated a lot more during Feb.....

I do like these additions.... There is just a lingering concern about how Bell's injury will turn out and if Knight still has it (note to self: Knight has already helped the team by igniting a fire under Woods/Wesley)... Surtain may get injuried but he comes in with no question marks.

Nightfyre
04-23-2005, 08:52 AM
If it was a plan it was stupid on their part. A team on the verge of winning doesn't say we will sit still this year and lose a lot of games so we can win next year. Too, much can happen in one year to change the whole outlook.

Yes, a team that is building may do a longer plan but they know they are not close this year.

Who knows if they had been active last year we may have celebrated a lot more during Feb.....

I do like these additions.... There is just a lingering concern about how Bell's injury will turn out and if Knight still has it (note to self: Knight has already helped the team by igniting a fire under Woods/Wesley)... Surtain may get injuried but he comes in with no question marks.
Bell is not an injury concern to me at all. It was an ankle sprain. He sat the whole season out to make sure it healed. He'll be great.