PDA

View Full Version : So what does this mean for Kawika Mitchell??

Deberg_1990
04-23-2005, 05:40 PM
Is he no longer a starter?? or do him and Fugita battle it out??

Archie Bunker
04-23-2005, 05:41 PM
I would like to see him battle with Fujita. I am not a big Fujita fan and I was impressed with Mitchell late this season. If Barber is healthy neither one of them will start IMO.

mcan
04-23-2005, 05:43 PM
-Mitchell is a backup middle linebacker to Bell...
-Fujita will battle with Johnson for the LOLB spot...
-When Barber is healthy, he will be the starter at the ROLB spot, with Caver as his backup...

Expect Johnson to be starting by about game 4.

beer bacon
04-23-2005, 05:46 PM
-When Barber is healthy, he will be the starter at the ROLB spot, with Caver as his backup...

I know DV said Johnson would be competing with Fuj, but I don't see how it can actually play out like that. I don't think too many people are expecting Barber back by the start of the season, it would be lunacy to start someone like Fox or Caver starting at ROLB, and have DJ just rotting behind Fujita.

KCFANinNC
04-23-2005, 05:46 PM

I concur. LB corp is going to be much improved.

Skip Towne
04-23-2005, 05:50 PM
Trade Mitchell for two dozen footballs. He's one of Carl's expensive reaches.

wazu
04-23-2005, 05:51 PM
Goodbye, Kawika. We hardly knew ye.

StcChief
04-23-2005, 05:53 PM
Mitchell looks like the Odd man out here. Maybe some will trade. Not likely just wait for him to be released.

bricks
04-23-2005, 05:54 PM
I know DV said Johnson would be competing with Fuj, but I don't see how it can actually play out like that.

Nah i see what DV means. All DV is looking for is better coverage units, consistency and balance from our secondary and linebackers. Both DJ, and Barber are great coverage LB's. And that says a lot because #1 Fujita couldn't cover worth a damn last year, neither could Mitchell and Beisel. Barber was arguably our best coverage LB last year. But, if you look at the whole entire LBing corps they couldn't cover for sh*t. #2 A lot of teams are employing 2 TE sets, 2 RB sets nowadays, and, who knows what the offenses are going to do, expect a lot of shifting, moving, man-in-motion etc. It is extremely important to have 2 very good coverage LB's, and, we got that in Barber, and Johnson.

Gravedigger
04-23-2005, 05:57 PM
Who cares he'll be a backup which is where he belongs.
Give me ILB- Fujita/Mitchell
MLB-Barber/Maz if were lucky
OLB- Johnson/ Bell

Mr. Kotter
04-23-2005, 06:03 PM
LB could become a position of depth for us, if DJ comes on...and Bell stays healthy. For Mitchell, this just might be the fire that needed to be lit to get his butt moving.

On a side note, Scanlon is gone.

Delano
04-23-2005, 06:06 PM

Say it ain't so! :deevee:

|Zach|
04-23-2005, 06:08 PM
But But, he uhh makes tackles in NFL Europe.

Ninjaman
04-23-2005, 06:11 PM
Sean Barber is done man ! What are you talking about ?

Fujita way better than Barber. Kawika needs to beat out Barber.

Baby Lee
04-23-2005, 06:11 PM
So what does this mean for Kawika Mitchell??
DV told him to pack his sh!t and get out. Unfortunately, on the way out, he was blocked by the divider between the double doors.

David.
04-23-2005, 06:12 PM
DV told him to pack his sh!t and get out. Unfortunately, on the way out, he was blocked by the divider between the double doors.

ROFL

I like Mitchell :( but I think these moves mean he's gone.

Rausch
04-23-2005, 06:17 PM
Why would drafting an OLB mean we'd release our back up MLB?

Who do we have at MLB other than Bell? Mitchel is all we've got for depth...

David.
04-23-2005, 06:19 PM
Why would drafting an OLB mean we'd release our back up MLB?

Who do we have at MLB other than Bell? Mitchel is all we've got for depth...

I didn't mean he was gone as in off the team.

I meant he's probably not ever gonna see the field as a starter.

Sorry to be confusing.

ChiefsFire
04-23-2005, 06:20 PM
special teams

official wedge buster

mcan
04-23-2005, 06:21 PM
Have you guys all forgotten which players have played which positions in the past? Since when was Mitchell an OLB?

Mitchell has been groomed to be an inside (middle) linebacker, and that's where he is best suited. I really thought that Fujita would be well suited for that spot as well. The coaches thought he was best suited at the left OLB spot. Barber has a lock on his job at the right side, and when he's healthy, you'll see him right back there. Mazlowski is a long shot to make the team, IMO.

Frankly, we need special teamers since Blaylock, Jones, and Beisel left. Since I anticipate Fujita to start the season at the LOLB spot (until Johnson learns how to play in the NFL), Johnson should be playing special teams. So too will Mitchell (now that he is religated to a backup role. Hopefully we can find some day 2 guys in this draft that can come in and make an impact on special teams as well. But what I'm really looking forward to is Fujita and Boerigter getting back into special teams. They were sorely missed last year. (Mark due to injury and Fujita was starting and playing fewer snaps at Sp. teams).

htismaqe
04-23-2005, 06:24 PM
OLB- Johnson/ Bell

Oh Jesus...

the Talking Can
04-23-2005, 06:27 PM

This doesn't mean anythingfor Mitchell.

But signing Bell was Carl's way of saying, "You suck and I regret drafting you...bitch."

As for Fugeeta....who knows?

Phobia
04-23-2005, 06:29 PM
Oh Jesus...

Just direct him to the depth chart http://www.kcchiefs.com/players/depth_chart/

mcan
04-23-2005, 06:30 PM
Or teach him the names of the positions, then remind him which players play each of those positions. :rolleyes:

redbrian
04-23-2005, 06:33 PM
I don't think Mitchell has the football smarts or just plain old fashion smarts to play MLB.

I may be wrong, and would guess that he has this spring and summer to prove he is smart enough to play the position.

mcan
04-23-2005, 07:00 PM
I don't think Mitchell has the football smarts or just plain old fashion smarts to play MLB.

I may be wrong, and would guess that he has this spring and summer to prove he is smart enough to play the position.

You are aware that he started at MLB for us last year right? That said, I agree that he hasn't played very well, but I think he can develop into a pretty great player. I'm just a little confused as to why this thread is here TODAY... Johnson and Mitchell play different positions. This thread would have been more appropriate a couple months ago when we got Bell...

Rausch
04-23-2005, 07:06 PM
You are aware that he started at MLB for us last year right? That said, I agree that he hasn't played very well, but I think he can develop into a pretty great player. I'm just a little confused as to why this thread is here TODAY... Johnson and Mitchell play different positions. This thread would have been more appropriate a couple months ago when we got Bell...

We got bell? What does this mean for Eric Hicks?

Archie Bunker
04-23-2005, 07:09 PM
ROFL

redbrian
04-23-2005, 07:12 PM

Oh yea I'm aware and he stunk at the position.
He was lost the whole time he was out there.
And I sure don't see Gun dumbing down the D for him in the coming year.

Mr. Kotter
04-23-2005, 07:13 PM
OLB- Johnson/ Bell

Maybe Mitchell can back up Trent Green? They both play behind the big guys up front don't they?

bricks
04-23-2005, 07:14 PM
Barber has a lock on his job at the right side, and when he's healthy, you'll see him right back there.

I anticipate Fujita to start the season at the LOLB spot (until Johnson learns how to play in the NFL), Johnson should be playing special teams.

sweet Jesus. you kinda sound like Dick Vermeil. I hope you mean that Derrick Johnson starts the season at ROLB, and Fujita at the LOLB. And when Barber comes back, Johnson gets the start at LOLB. I really hope that's what you mean. I'd be pissed as hell if Dickwaud says he is not ready to play in the NFL, he still has to learn to grow, mature. Like he usually says about most our draft picks. Johnson has arguably got to be KC's most talented LB, and, one of the best. No way he sits on the bench.

Dayze
04-23-2005, 07:18 PM
So, what's going to go down with Fox?

I mean, who is the better of the two/ Fox & Mitchell?
I didn't really see Fox at all, and know nothing about him, so this post isn't sarcastic.

mcan
04-23-2005, 07:20 PM

Maybe he can be our place kicker. We should also get somebody to kick field goals.

I also don't think we can fill ALL of these positions:

ROLB: Barber
WILL LB: Mitchell
WSLB: Caver? (this would make me nervous.
Blind Side LB: I think we could move Jered Allen here and let Carlos Hall do his thing at RDE.

:hmmm:

Skip Towne
04-23-2005, 07:20 PM
sweet Jesus. you kinda sound like Dick Vermeil. I hope you mean that Derrick Johnson starts the season at ROLB, and Fujita at the LOLB. And when Barber comes back, Johnson gets the start at LOLB. I really hope that's what you mean. I'd be pissed as hell if Dickwaud says he is not ready to play in the NFL, he still has to learn to grow, mature. Like he usually says about most our draft picks. Johnson has arguably got to be KC's most talented LB, and, one of the best. No way he sits on the bench.
DV is a dipshit. Look at what he did to LJ. He almost ran him out of town saying he wasn't ready. Then when DV HAD to use him he rip shit tore ass. I repeat, DV is a dipshit who has no business evaluating talent.

Mr. Kotter
04-23-2005, 07:23 PM
Maybe we can get Battle and Bartee to switch to....

Rover?

Monster?

Or Spy? Those positions really kick ass in Jr. HS Football.... :clap:

I'll bet Priest would be deadly on the Option too.... :hmmm:

mcan
04-23-2005, 07:25 PM

I sound like Dick Vermeil... Well, since coaching in the NFL is my dream, I'll call that a compliment. Thank you. I don't think it's wise to have DJ learning TWO positions. That will only push his ability to get into the starting lineup further back. Here's the thing, if DJ can fully understand where he needs to be and how to play in the NFL, then he will take Fujita's spot. Until then, he will be Fujita's backup. The last thing you do is take a kid and throw him out there when he doesn't know what the hell he's doing.

mcan
04-23-2005, 07:30 PM
DV is a dipshit. Look at what he did to LJ. He almost ran him out of town saying he wasn't ready. Then when DV HAD to use him he rip shit tore ass. I repeat, DV is a dipshit who has no business evaluating talent.

DV never denied that LJ was a good runner. He/They knew he could do what he did. You know what else they knew? They knew that he was missing his blocking assignments in practice. They knew that he didn't know his responsabilities in the passing game. They also knew that those first few games (after Priest and Blaylock got hurt) they used about 1/3 of their playbook so that Trent Green wouldn't get killed by a KID who decided it would be better to complain about playing time, then it would to learn the damned plays. That's what the diaper comment was about. If they didn't think he had the kind of ability that he has, they wouldn't have drafted him.

ChiefGator
04-23-2005, 07:50 PM
Just direct him to the depth chart http://www.kcchiefs.com/players/depth_chart/

Ugh! Please do me a favor and don't post that link ever again... well.. until they update it with Bell, Knight, Surtain, Johnson, etc... This is one UGLY looking defense.

Mark

tk13
04-23-2005, 07:56 PM
In my ideal universe, Kawika would continue to improve, make the leap, breakthrough in his third year like some players do, and we could move Bell to OLB. Unfortunately we don't live in my ideal universe though. I really think Kawika's gotten better, and he might have the potential to become a decent starter, but we can't sit here and keep letting him learn on the job while we're trying to win a Super Bowl. I think the potential is there though for him to force Fujita to the bench though, I wouldn't close my mind to it.

mcan
04-23-2005, 07:58 PM
In my ideal universe, Kawika would continue to improve, make the leap, breakthrough in his third year like some players do, and we could move Bell to OLB. Unfortunately we don't live in my ideal universe though. I really think Kawika's gotten better, and he might have the potential to become a decent starter, but we can't sit here and keep letting him learn on the job while we're trying to win a Super Bowl. I think the potential is there though for him to force Fujita to the bench though, I wouldn't close my mind to it.

exactly. There is too much at stake to let ANYONE learn on the job. That includes Derrick Johnson. But don't worry he'll be in the starting lineup by week 4 or 5.

tk13
04-23-2005, 08:08 PM
exactly. There is too much at stake to let ANYONE learn on the job. That includes Derrick Johnson. But don't worry he'll be in the starting lineup by week 4 or 5.
DJ will be in the starting lineup in week 1. I am very confident of that.

dtebbe
04-23-2005, 08:47 PM
Dante may have a new blocker on special teams....

DT

whoman69
04-23-2005, 09:55 PM
I remember the days when this board loved Mitchell. He even got a nickname of rocket man for going thru his windshield. How that has changed. He was injured in his rookie year and sent in to play when he wasn't ready. Then last year the job was his and he got injured again, only to get back on the playing field due to injuries. Now the only thing we can see about him is he is another player that should have been taken in the 4th-5th rounds that we took in the 2nd.

buddha
04-23-2005, 10:04 PM
sweet Jesus. Johnson has arguably got to be KC's most talented LB, and, one of the best. No way he sits on the bench.

Bricks, I don't think we need to qualify that statement. DJ walks into Chiefs camp as CLEARLY the most talented, athletic LB on the team. Bell is no slouch, but he didn't run 10.5 100s in high school. The only thing that will keep DJ off the field is his learning curve.

Mr. Kotter
04-23-2005, 10:05 PM
I remember the days when this board loved Mitchell. He even got a nickname of rocket man for going thru his windshield. How that has changed. He was injured in his rookie year and sent in to play when he wasn't ready. Then last year the job was his and he got injured again, only to get back on the playing field due to injuries. Now the only thing we can see about him is he is another player that should have been taken in the 4th-5th rounds that we took in the 2nd.

I'm still givin' Mitchell the benefit of the doubt....I think he can still become a player.

Deberg_1990
04-23-2005, 10:09 PM

Ehhhhh...ive seen enough of him to know he tackles like crap and takes bad angles. Hes never going to be a superstar. At least DJ has that potential.

Frazod
04-23-2005, 10:13 PM

He can stick his head up his ass and battle for air for all I care.

Prepare to ride the pine, dipshit. 4321

buddha
04-23-2005, 10:18 PM
Ehhhhh...ive seen enough of him to know he tackles like crap and takes bad angles. Hes never going to be a superstar. At least DJ has that potential.

Not only will Mitchell not be a superstar, he hasn't shown the ability in a single game to even be a passable, average starter yet. I cry no tears for guys who can't stay healthy in this league. That's part of the deal. Find ways to keep yourself together and kick butt on the field. I'm tired of the excuses made by some for Mitchell. :banghead:

KCinNY
04-23-2005, 10:38 PM
So what does this mean for Kawika Mitchell??

It means he's a special teamer now.

Basically he's got Monty Beisel's old job.

Bell and DJ start for sure. Barber and Fooj fight it out for the other starting job.