PDA

View Full Version : MU BB fans....Kleiza declares for the NBA draft....

Mosbonian
04-23-2005, 09:18 PM
Looks like Quinn will be fielding an all new team next year...

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=missourikleizanba&prov=st&type=lgns

COLUMBIA, Missouri (Ticker) - Forward Linas Kleiza is interested in exploring his professional options.

Kleiza, the Missouri Tigers' leading scorer and rebounder, announced Saturday that he will enter the NBA draft but will not hire an agent.

As a sophomore, Kleiza averaged 16.1 points and 7.6 rebounds in 33 games for the Tigers, who went 16-17 with an appearance in the NIT. A native of Lithuania, he was named to the All-Big 12 team as an honorable mention.

"I appreciate the opportunity that I have been given at Missouri," Kleiza said. "I have had a great experience and I have improved as a player and as a person. I will explore professional opportunities while completing the semester at Missouri and maintaining the chance to return to school."

Kleiza will have until June 21 to withdraw from the draft and retain the final two years of his eligibility.

mmaddog

ChiefsFire
04-23-2005, 09:22 PM
you gotta be kidding??!?!?!

ChiefsCountry
04-23-2005, 09:26 PM
Thats pretty dumb of him.

siberian khatru
04-23-2005, 09:29 PM
Albert White must be advising him ... from that league on Pluto that he plays in.

Mosbonian
04-23-2005, 09:29 PM
If Kleizas stayed one more year I would venture to say that he would stand a much better chance of a better position in the draft. With all the players declaring this year he is putting himself in a pretty precarious position.

mmaddog

siberian khatru
04-23-2005, 09:31 PM
If Kleizas stayed one more year I would venture to say that he would stand a much better chance of a better position in the draft. With all the players declaring this year he is putting himself in a pretty precarious position.

mmaddog

Yeah, he must've missed the news that Carolina's entire national championship team just declared for the draft.

Mosbonian
04-23-2005, 09:43 PM
He isn't hiring an agent, so he can come back if he doesn't like how things go (probable outcome).

Not so, says the scuttlebutt around town....

mmaddog

Sure-Oz
04-23-2005, 10:06 PM
He would be stupid, have another solid year and he may have a chance at being a late 1st or early 2nd rounder id think.

Mosbonian
04-23-2005, 10:29 PM
Oh, well if the scuttlebutt around your town says otherwise, I'm sure it must be true.

Since you are a newbie...I'll help you out here.

I live in Columbia.....this rumour has been bouncing around this town like a superball in a cellblock since the end of the season.

mmaddog

the Talking Can
04-23-2005, 10:36 PM
why would he leave?, Quin's track record of improving players is impeccable...look how many got drafted last year.....

Mosbonian
04-23-2005, 10:49 PM
Mmaddog,

I publish Inside Mizzou Magazine, so do you still want to go down that path? Just because Linas is testing the waters does not mean that he won't come back next fall to MU. The early word I've heard from some folks who talk to NFL scouts is that Kleiza projects to a mid- to late-first rounder at best right now. He could improve his lot in life with a better junior season.

You don't leave early for that type of money. He doesn't come from a disadvantaged background, but is simply curious if he could slip into the lottery somehow.

Buddha:

I'm supposed to be impressed by the fact that you publish Inside Mizzou Magazine?

And if you are talking to NFL scouts about Kleiza, then maybe you should switch and talk to NBA scouts...

He is no different than any of the others from Mizzou that have done the same....Albert White, Keyon Dooling, Kareem Rush.....once you get a sniff off good money, you rarely think about going back to college ball.

And while you try to justify the thought that he might think about what he will be told about trying to stay another year.....

1) what happens to his draft status if he regressed instead of progressed....

2) he will be the premier player on a team that is under probation and destined to have another mediocre season.....

3) Money....need say nothing else.....

mmaddog

Mosbonian
04-23-2005, 11:35 PM
I don't care if you're impressed or not. I was simply responding to your comment that I was a newbie..

Evidently you were trying to be impressive...why else would you tout that you were the publisher of the mag.....

The rules have changed over the years, so there difference between Al White and Kleiza are significant. First, back in White's day, once you declared, there was no chance of going back...now, you can, as long as you don't hire an agent. Big difference. In Dooling's case, his family was poverty stricken, so money was needed as quickly as possible. Rush felt he was as ready as he would ever be...probably was right. Kleiza's comes from a very traditional family situation and won't pull the trigger unless it's what he is looking for.

The chance is always there to regress, but Kleiza showed that he was just starting to "get it" down the stretch this year. He would most likely benefit from another year in college.

One thing hasn't changed from any year.....it's called money and it doesn't matter if you come from a poor family or a rich one, the lure of big money is a siren call.

One question.....do you live here in Columbia? All I stated was that the scuttlebutt in this town was that Linas would leave, what with all the troubles and the defections that are occuring. I never said I had "sources inside the university" that were saying this. But I can tell you that much of the "scuttlebutt" that comes out in this town is usually pretty close to the truth.

So, if you have pretty good sources that tell you otherwise, please feel free to say so. Otherwise, you are doing nothing more than what I was doing.....making speculation based on what is being tossed about in this town.

mmaddog

teedubya
04-23-2005, 11:42 PM
Im the publisher of MIZZOU SUCKS YEARLY magazine... and sales have been great.

Archie Bunker
04-23-2005, 11:44 PM

Bucknell

UNC National Champs

:p

buddha
04-23-2005, 11:44 PM
Actually, that's not what you said at all. I said that there was a good chance that Kleiza will be coming back because he won't get drafted where he thinks he should. You indicated that the scuttlebutt around town (which town, who would know?), indicated otherwise. I'm tired of the pissing match.

Kleiza could have declared himself eligible for the NBA last year. Or, if money was the overriding factor, he could have signed for big bucks in Europe, where he is very well known and respected.

I've talked with Linas' dad before and I can tell you that he doesn't share your jaded view on life.

p.s. I don't live in Columbia, but I love the place.

buddha
04-23-2005, 11:55 PM

Perhaps you should switch over to "Bucknell's three scholarship players kicked KU's arse quarterly"? :thumb:

teedubya
04-23-2005, 11:56 PM
Perhaps you should switch over to "Bucknell's three scholarship players kicked KU's arse quarterly"? :thumb:

Nah, Im too busy working on the "MIZZOU NIT HIGHLIGHTS" publication.

buddha
04-24-2005, 12:00 AM
Nah, Im too busy working on the "MIZZOU NIT HIGHLIGHTS" publication.

That's great, but nothing beats Bucknell with their three scholarship players. That's what brought 3,000 KU fans to the basketball awards dinner, when 10,000 typically show up. The Bucknell loss trumps everything.

Mosbonian
04-24-2005, 12:00 AM
Actually, that's not what you said at all. I said that there was a good chance that Kleiza will be coming back because he won't get drafted where he thinks he should. You indicated that the scuttlebutt around town (which town, who would know?), indicated otherwise. I'm tired of the pissing match..

It's only a "pissing match" for you.....

And....unless you know something for sure, which I invited you to share, (oops, I forgot that journalistic integrity thing), then get off your high horse.

Kleiza could have declared himself eligible for the NBA last year. Or, if money was the overriding factor, he could have signed for big bucks in Europe, where he is very well known and respected.

I've talked with Linas' dad before and I can tell you that he doesn't share your jaded view on life.

And why would he have done that? He only had half a season as a Freshman and then was injured....he hadn't done enough to prove his value. Doing so would have been foolish and even you know that.

Yeah, he could have gone to Europe and played, but you know his goal is to play here in the US......if someone is whispering in his ear that he could make a lot of money coming out this year, wanna bet that voice is heard louder than any other.

Remember the proclamation of Sean May? Seems a distant memory, but he seems headed to the NBA now...

I'm glad you've talked with his dad....maybe you could talk him into telling his son that another year in College would hone his game and make him a top 10 pick....

mmaddog

teedubya
04-24-2005, 12:03 AM
That's great, but nothing beats Bucknell with their three scholarship players. That's what brought 3,000 KU fans to the basketball awards dinner, when 10,000 typically show up. The Bucknell loss trumps everything.
yeah, its good for a chuckle, sure... but after years of pathetic play of your team, MIZZOU... you have nothing good to cheer for, so you need to laugh at the Jayhawks one piss-poor moment in the past decade, whereas your history is teeming with patheticness.

buddha
04-24-2005, 12:11 AM
It's only a "pissing match" for you.....
And....unless you know something for sure, which I invited you to share, (oops, I forgot that journalistic integrity thing), then get off your high horse.

Wow, nice to know that got under your skin so much. You can't quite leave it alone, can you mmaddog. The next time you try to belittle somebody and they give you a reason why they might know something you don't, maybe you should listen?

Listen genius, nobody knows anything for sure related to where Kleiza might potentially be drafted. Get a grip. The announcement just came out today...?

I was just stating my opinion based on some comments I had heard this afternoon from people who know more about these things than most.

Once again, if the almighty dollar is all Kleiza cares about, he will either find it early in the NBA draft, or he will play overseas for a few years. He can always return to the NBA later.

What Linas realizes that most don't is that you position yourself for your second NBA contract...that's the one where you typically make or break your NBA career, from a monetary standpoint.

He actually enjoys college life a lot in Columbia, so I think there's a decent chance he will return.

buddha
04-24-2005, 12:13 AM
you have nothing good to cheer for, so you need to laugh at the Jayhawks one piss-poor moment in the past decade...

We also enjoyed Kansas' first visit to the Mizzou Arena...that was something VERY nice to cheer for. And yes, we'll savor the Bucknell game for some time to come, I'm sure.

We'd put it on a billboard, but that's really more KU's style.

Mosbonian
04-24-2005, 12:24 AM
Wow, nice to know that got under your skin so much. You can't quite leave it alone, can you mmaddog. The next time you try to belittle somebody and they give you a reason why they might know something you don't, maybe you should listen?

Listen genius, nobody knows anything for sure related to where Kleiza might potentially be drafted. Get a grip. The announcement just came out today...?

Now I have to laugh....under my skin? You really are a newbie.....and no one tried to belittle you....you just did such a great job without any help.

So let me help you with a couple of things....

1) I posted what I have been hearing around town.....you fired back in a manner that showed your arrogance.....

2) You've been around here so little, maybe you need to get to know people more before trying to "belittle" them...

3) I never claimed to be a genious.....I'll leave that to you....but remember there is a fine line between genious and madman...

mmaddog

Mosbonian
04-24-2005, 12:30 AM
I have a good idea....

Next time you are in town, let me know. I'll buy you lunch at the restaurant of your choice.....and you promise to write something nice about one of my favorite charities in town, the Judevine Center, which helps children with Autism....

Maybe you could get some of your readers to contribute to a worthy cause that is horribly under-funded. April is Autism Awareness month you know....

mmaddog

buddha
04-24-2005, 12:48 AM
I have a good idea....

Next time you are in town, let me know. I'll buy you lunch at the restaurant of your choice.....and you promise to write something nice about one of my favorite charities in town, the Judevine Center, which helps children with Autism....

Maybe you could get some of your readers to contribute to a worthy cause that is horribly under-funded. April is Autism Awareness month you know....

mmaddog

You've got yourself a deal. Shakespeare's or Booche's always works.

I dropped you an e-mail...feel free to write back if you are so inclined. I regret getting into a scrape with a Missouri fan when we could be focusing our attention on the Beakers!

Thanks.

Saulbadguy
04-24-2005, 08:08 PM
Good for him, but he needs to work on his..well, work ethic.