PDA

View Full Version : After day 1: What is our highest "position" of need.

FRCDFED
04-23-2005, 10:44 PM
I know we have all identified many of the "players" still on the board that we would like to see in red and gold. However, what is the highest "position" of need what is the best way to address them?

I say:

1. LB - we still need a starting OLB to play opposite DJ.

Maybe address this with Chad Brown or one of the other FA LB's still available (or from June 1 cuts).

2. OL - We need to start looking at OT

Solve via day 2 of the draft.

3. WR - I don't need to justify this one. They are all mediocre at best!

Any thoughts??

|Zach|
04-23-2005, 10:44 PM
WR

unlurking
04-23-2005, 10:47 PM
I don't think OLB is much of an issue any more. I still like Fuj, and Barber will likely be back by mid-season. To me, OL is a major concern for the seasons following next, and as backups this year.

TEX
04-23-2005, 10:48 PM
CB

the Talking Can
04-23-2005, 10:48 PM
WR/DE/OL.......(QB)

FRCDFED
04-23-2005, 10:49 PM
I don't think OLB is much of an issue any more. I still like Fuj, and Barber will likely be back by mid-season. To me, OL is a major concern for the seasons following next, and as backups this year.

I caught myself about to say that Fuj was ruined by GROB.......then it hit me......so is DJ :deevee:

Phobia
04-23-2005, 10:50 PM
I used to think OL was a major need, but then I had a discussion with somebody on another board. Our depth isn't too bad. I think we'll be alright there - especially with a 2nd (or 3rd) day project pick this year.

I think we really need a QBOTF and I'm pimping McPherson. Green has played 3 straight years. He's no Favre in terms of durability.

unlurking
04-23-2005, 10:50 PM
I caught myself about to say that Fuj was ruined by GROB.......then it hit me......so is DJ :deevee:
ROFL

Coach
04-23-2005, 10:51 PM
In no order:

WR, OL, DE (couldn't huirt, after all, Allen was a steal for us last year), LB, and a CB.

FRCDFED
04-23-2005, 10:51 PM
If Barber was healthy then I would be pretty satisfied with our LB corps. However, I am currently recovering from knee surgery (2nd one on the left knee) and I know it is a long tough road. This is the third time I've injured the knee and the second operation. I hope his luck is better then mine.

BigChiefFan
04-23-2005, 10:52 PM
OLBer.

FRCDFED
04-23-2005, 10:53 PM
I used to think OL was a major need, but then I had a discussion with somebody on another board. Our depth isn't too bad. I think we'll be alright there - especially with a 2nd (or 3rd) day project pick this year.

I think we really need a QBOTF and I'm pimping McPherson. Green has played 3 straight years. He's no Favre in terms of durability.
McPherson has a huge upside that would be worth taking a risk on. It would be nice to see CP package some 5, 6, and 7th round picks to get one or two more 4th rounders.

eazyb81
04-23-2005, 10:54 PM
WR, DE, CB, DT, OT, QB......in that order.

FloridaChief
04-23-2005, 10:56 PM
Solve?

unlurking
04-23-2005, 10:56 PM
If Barber was healthy then I would be pretty satisfied with our LB corps. However, I am currently recovering from knee surgery (2nd one on the left knee) and I know it is a long tough road. This is the third time I've injured the knee and the second operation. I hope his luck is better then mine.
I'll give ya that, but I also really think Mitchel began turning it on at the end of last year. Give him a couple weeks backing up Bell (starting Fuj/Bell/Johnson), and I think he would be a good back up if ANY LB went down. Slide him into the middle, and if Fuj or Johnson goes down, move Bell over.

I may be wrong, but I'm actually pretty happy with our LB corp at this point.

Mr. Kotter
04-23-2005, 10:58 PM
Need? WR, QBOTF, OL....but DE, LB and CB remain possibilities

BigChiefFan
04-23-2005, 10:58 PM
WR, DE, CB, DT, OT, QB......in that order.
We only have TWO LBers worth a damn on the roster and one is a rookie. Also, we only have two CBs worth a damn and one may be suspended for 4 games. We took Parker last year and Bo should be healthy, add Kris Wilson in to the mix and I think we are stout there. I think LBer and CB are still a bigger need then Wide-out at this point. Saunders will have some new wrinkles with Wilson in the fold and Parker should contribute more this year.

FRCDFED
04-23-2005, 11:00 PM
It would be really difficult to find any flaws in CP's draft strategy this year:

1. We drafted the best LB in the draft class.

2. Our 2nd rounder obtained a Pro Bowl CB.

3. Best Punter in the draft.

This is very unPeterson like to ignore the tweeners! Keep up the good work!!

Mr. Kotter
04-23-2005, 11:02 PM
We only have TWO LBers worth a damn on the roster and one is a rookie. Also, we only have two CBs worth a damn and one may be suspended for 4 games. We took Parker last year and Bo should be healthy, add Kris Wilson in to the mix and I think we are stout there. I think LBer and CB are still a bigger need then Wide-out at this point. Saunders will have some new wrinkles with Wilson in the fold and Parker should contribute more this year.

Fujita is a decent LB; and Mitchell may make it there...

Barber and Maz are serviceable if they get healthy; you are being a bit harsh....

Our LB's sucked because of injuries and inexperience, as well as no support by the DBs. The four I mentioned would make nearly any NFL roster if healthy.

eazyb81
04-23-2005, 11:11 PM

I disagree with your assessment of our LBs. Fujita is a very solid starter and should have a good year when paired up with two real LBs like Bell and DJ. Fox and Mitchell provide solid depth and will be good backups in my opinion.

We could definately use another CB, but there really aren't anymore decent CBs available. I would like us to draft another, but i'm not expecting anything out of one.

I think another DT or DE is essential right now. We have to make sure that we provide a consistent pass rush next year to keep the pressure off our CBs.

keg in kc
04-23-2005, 11:27 PM
After drafting Johnson, I saw/see the remainder of the draft as best available athlete with an eye on rebounding from the losses on special teams (Beisel, Blaylock, etc). Focus on speed and athleticism from this point on, probably looking primarily at skill positions over linemen.

Bearcat2005
04-23-2005, 11:39 PM
I say, CB,WR,OL,QBOTF, we should focus on these, OLOTF though is something we need to address.

Toad
04-23-2005, 11:57 PM

I'd be good with that.

Needs sourced from day 2 draft: QBotf (McPherson), DT & OL.
Needs sourced from FA (pending remaining $, future KC cuts- Morton and future June cuts from other teams): WR & OLB

teedubya
04-24-2005, 12:01 AM
Pick Crap Thorpe[WR] or Adrian McPh...[QBotf]

I too would like to move up a bit to capture one or both of these.

FRCDFED
04-24-2005, 07:23 AM
Pick Crap Thorpe[WR] or Adrian McPh...[QBotf]

I too would like to move up a bit to capture one or both of these.It would be nice to package some 5-7 round picks. We have had a solid draft so far and hopefully that continues today!!

yoswif
04-24-2005, 07:36 AM
This is a good draft for CBs to push McCleon and Bartee off the depth chart. I wouldn't waste the opportunity.

Chiefnj
04-24-2005, 07:40 AM
CB, DE, OT, WILL, QBOTF, WR.

I think Michael Boley is still available.

FRCDFED
04-24-2005, 07:41 AM
This is a good draft for CBs to push McCleon and Bartee off the depth chart. I wouldn't waste the opportunity.
I could see us losing Bartee but McCleon will be our nickel back until Battle decides he is gonna play some football. I am comfortable with McCleon in the nickel. For his size, he is a solid CB!!

htismaqe
04-24-2005, 07:43 AM
CB, DE, OT, WILL, QBOTF, WR.

I think Michael Boley is still available.

There's a ton of talented guys still available...

BigChiefFan
04-24-2005, 07:43 AM
I disagree with your assessment of our LBs. Fujita is a very solid starter and should have a good year when paired up with two real LBs like Bell and DJ. Fox and Mitchell provide solid depth and will be good backups in my opinion.

We could definately use another CB, but there really aren't anymore decent CBs available. I would like us to draft another, but i'm not expecting anything out of one.

I think another DT or DE is essential right now. We have to make sure that we provide a consistent pass rush next year to keep the pressure off our CBs.
Fujita is a back-up, who has gotten an opportunity as a starter. I agree, in that he could improve his game, but I disagree that he is a SOLID STARTER. A SOLID starter, IMO, consists of somebody who doesn't blow asignments and levels his man, when they play comes to his side of the field. Fujita is a decent player, but not what I would consider the ANSWER to the position if given a choice, but that's just my opinion.

Mitchell will most likely be the back-up MLBer and is still very raw, evidenced by signing Kendrell Bell in the off-season. I'm okay with both players as depth, but I still think it would be wise to draft another LBer. It couldn't hurt.

I'm all in the D-line camp as well. I'm surprised we didn't pull the trigger on Hawthorne yesterday.

Frankie
04-24-2005, 07:53 AM
I know we have all identified many of the "players" still on the board that we would like to see in red and gold. However, what is the highest "position" of need what is the best way to address them?

I say:

1. LB - we still need a starting OLB to play opposite DJ.

Maybe address this with Chad Brown or one of the other FA LB's still available (or from June 1 cuts).

2. OL - We need to start looking at OT

3. WR - I don't need to justify this one. They are all mediocre at best!

Any thoughts??

Unless major sleepers at OLB or WR are there I say avoid them. We coulld sign Simmons and between him, Key Fox Kawika Mitchel, Fujita and Barber we should have enough depth. WR could be addressed next year, if Samie Parker does not continue to improve. I say get best values on CB, O-line and D-line (in that order) the rest of the way.

FRCDFED
04-24-2005, 08:06 AM
Unless major sleepers at OLB or WR are there I say avoid them. We coulld sign Simmons and between him, Key Fox Kawika Mitchel, Fujita and Barber we should have enough depth. WR could be addressed next year, if Samie Parker does not continue to improve. I say get best values on CB, O-line and D-line (in that order) the rest of the way.I'm all for signing Simmons or one of the other remaining top FA OLB's available.

Do we have any cash left in the cookie jar??