PDA

View Full Version : Happy birthday to my dad.

Jenson71
04-24-2005, 09:09 PM
He doesn't post here, but whatever. He turned 52 today. Getting up there. He's still keeping young though, my brother and I keep him that way. As I've gotten older, I've studied my dad. God knows he's not perfect at all. But I've never once been mad at him for that. He's a good guy, although he doesn't always show it.

Do any of you have trouble telling your dad you love him? It's been years for us. I suspect it gets easier as you get older and move away and whatever.

Phobia
04-24-2005, 09:10 PM
Don't tell him, just show him. IMO.

Jenson71
04-24-2005, 09:11 PM
Don't tell him, just show him. IMO.

I mowed the yard (without him saying anything). He said "Nice. Looks real good." :shrug:

Hammock Parties
04-24-2005, 09:12 PM
My Dad and I are pretty good. If he hadn't been a nazi when it came to religion I'd probably like him even more.

Hammock Parties
04-24-2005, 09:12 PM
I mowed the yard (without him saying anything). He said "Nice. Looks real good." :shrug:

Dad's are always short on praise, aren't they? ROFL

Jenson71
04-24-2005, 09:16 PM
My brother gave him an autographed Bryce Paup football. My dad likes UNI and follows the Packers, so he thought that was the coolest thing in the world. I'm sitting there with 5 scratch lottery tickets in an envelope...

Skip Towne
04-24-2005, 09:17 PM
I'm almost 60. If your dad is "getting up there" where does that leave me? Your dad could be around another 30 years.

Jenson71
04-24-2005, 09:19 PM
I'm almost 60. If your dad is "getting up there" where does that leave me? Your dad could be around another 30 years.

Oh man, you're definitely up there. :)

Phobia
04-24-2005, 09:22 PM
I'm almost 60. If your dad is "getting up there" where does that leave me?

It leaves you bagging on the kids online.

Phobia
04-24-2005, 09:24 PM
Seriously, Jenson.... This is a topic to which I've given a lot of thought.

My ex-wife makes our kids tell her that they love her 30 times per 3 minute phone conversation.

I told the kids I don't need to hear it, just show me. I'd rather see it and know it than hear a bunch of obligatory, empty words 30 times over the damn phone.

|Zach|
04-24-2005, 09:28 PM
Seriously, Jenson.... This is a topic to which I've given a lot of thought.

My ex-wife makes our kids tell her that they love her 30 times per 3 minute phone conversation.

I told the kids I don't need to hear it, just show me. I'd rather see it and know it than hear a bunch of obligatory, empty words 30 times over the damn phone.
Well said.

|Zach|
04-24-2005, 09:29 PM
It leaves you bagging on the kids online.
ROFL ROFL

|Zach|
04-24-2005, 09:31 PM
We say it on special occasions. It is not common but it is not rare. My dad has supported me in everything I have ever wanted to do. I always felt like I had the freedom to do what I wanted to do in my life and I am forever grateful for that.

Knowing his story from the past leading up to today I admire the hell out of the guy and will be lucky to be 1\2 the man he is.

Rain Man
04-24-2005, 09:37 PM
My dad and I have the same itchy conversation every time we talk.

"How's the Colorado kid doing?"

"Good. And you?"

"Doing fine."

"Great."

"So...how's the car running?"

"Pretty good."

"Well, I'll put your mom on now."

Pants
04-24-2005, 09:41 PM
We say it on special occasions. It is not common but it is not rare. My dad has supported me in everything I have ever wanted to do. I always felt like I had the freedom to do what I wanted to do in my life and I am forever grateful for that.

Knowing his story from the past leading up to today I admire the hell out of the guy and will be lucky to be 1\2 the man he is.

Same situation here. I seriously feel blessed. When I was little and even now, sometimes, I hear kids saying how much they hate their parents and all that, I never understood that.

ChiefsCountry
04-24-2005, 09:42 PM
We don't say it much to each other, but we both know it. I think its that man thing when you can't say I love you to another man even though you are father/son.

Hammock Parties
04-24-2005, 10:08 PM
I admire the hell out of the guy and will be lucky to be 1\2 the man he is.

Just stop going to the bars, you sleaze. :D

badgirl
04-24-2005, 10:19 PM
I used to tell my dad I loved him everyday, and he would have known it if I had never said a word. He died when I was 17 of ALS (Lou Gharieg, probably spelled wrong) desease. I'm glad I told him even though he knew, my kids tell me they love me everytime I talk to them, when they were at home, they couldn't leave the house without telling me "by mom, I love you" even though I knew, its still good to think back and hear it.

Tell your dad I hope he has a great Birthday Jenson.