PDA

View Full Version : King Carl: My Remarks about "Real" Chief fans were misinterpreted.

BigRedChief
04-24-2005, 09:45 PM
In the KC Star tommorrow.

Chiefs' GM says his remarks were misinterpreted

DOUG TUCKER
Associated Press
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Kansas City Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson said Sunday he never meant to indicate that season ticket holders were the only fans whose opinions mattered.

The Chiefs' president and CEO said remarks he made last week that led to a furor among Chiefs fans were misinterpreted.

"I think that's a gross misinterpretation of what I really did say," Peterson said. "I said yesterday to our fans that I love all Kansas City Chiefs fans. All of them. OK?"

Responding to criticism of the Chiefs' draft history, Peterson on Friday said that 95 percent of the Chiefs' 72,000 season ticket holders had renewed.

"I haven't had a letter or a fax or a phone call from any of those people," he said then. "And honest to goodness, I haven't had any letters from outside of that, if you want to say, sphere of people who I consider real Kansas City Chiefs fans because they step up each year and put their money down and say, `I'm here to see the Chiefs.'
The comment seemed to anger a great many Chiefs fans.

"I certainly have a responsibility to those Kansas City Chiefs fans who are season ticket holders, and that's my first responsibility as the president of this organization," he said Sunday.

"But we enjoy all of our fans and we have season ticket holders in 47 states, Washington D.C., and Puerto Rico and we love all of them, too.
"All of those that aren't here but like to be and are Chiefs fans, we certainly enjoy and want all of them to continue to be great Chiefs fans.

"I think what I said was tremendously misinterpreted, but sometimes there is a lack of communication with myself and the media."

BigRedChief
04-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Responding to criticism of the Chiefs' draft history, Peterson on Friday said that 95 percent of the Chiefs' 72,000 season ticket holders had renewed.

"I haven't had a letter or a fax or a phone call from any of those people," he said then. "And honest to goodness, I haven't had any letters from outside of that, if you want to say, sphere of people who I consider real Kansas City Chiefs fans because they step up each year and put their money down and say, `I'm here to see the Chiefs.'
The comment seemed to anger a great many Chiefs fans.

"I think what I said was tremendously misinterpreted, but sometimes there is a lack of communication with myself and the media."

What miscommunication? This isn't about the media King Carl. It's about the fans.

That was an exact quote. I've heard it 3 times in your own voice and words. He's trying to make it sound like he was misquoted. WTF theres audio.

Rain Man
04-24-2005, 09:50 PM
The Chiefs' president and CEO said remarks he made last week that led to a furor among Chiefs fans were misinterpreted.

"I think that's a gross misinterpretation of what I really did say," Peterson said. "I said yesterday to our fans that I love all Kansas City Chiefs fans. All of them. OK?"

I don't put out.

BigRedChief
04-24-2005, 09:53 PM
He still doesn't apoligize. He enjoys all Chief fans.

WilliamTheIrish
04-24-2005, 09:55 PM
When I heard it (live) it sounded to me like he was addressing Whitlock with a touch of sarcasm.

Ultra Peanut
04-24-2005, 09:57 PM
There's nothing to apologize for, you whinging gash.

Hammock Parties
"I said yesterday to our fans that I love all Kansas City Chiefs fans. All of them. OK?"

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

This is the funniest thing ever.

Carl tried to apologize with the trade and the draft and now he is asking forgiveness.

Hey King, all is forgiven. Just keep up the good work. :D

Frazod
Considering the events of the past three days, I'm prepared the cut the old bastard some slack. But that remark sucked.

stevieray
04-24-2005, 09:58 PM
He could've said piss off... with an offseason like this, it wouldn't have mattered.

Hammock Parties
04-24-2005, 09:59 PM
I just fired Carl off an e-mail:

"I'm sorry Carl."

I said some hateful things the other day. I apologize.

You did a fantastic job with the trade and the draft, and we're all super-optimistic right now.

Keep up the good work. Jerry Jones had a facelift and he doesn't look near as good as you right now.

Rain Man
04-24-2005, 09:59 PM
Do you love me?
Will you love me forever?
Do you need me?
Will you never leave me?
Will you make me so happy for the rest of my life?
Will you take me away, give me tickets for life?

KCWolfman
04-24-2005, 10:02 PM
I can understand why he hasn't received a fax or phone call as the ticket holders can't get them. I find it hard to believe that not a single one of the 72,000 have written a letter. Perhaps his secretary throws them away?

KCWolfman
04-24-2005, 10:03 PM
Do you love me?
Will you love me forever?
Do you need me?
Will you never leave me?
Will you make me so happy for the rest of my life?
Will you take me away, give me tickets for life?
Let me charge 20.00 to park
Let me charge 8.50 a beer
Let me charge 7.75 for nachos
I'll give you an answer in the morning.

Rausch
04-24-2005, 10:03 PM
If what he did this offseason and draft wins us a superbowl he can say he hates all those damned Krauts filling his stadium and I won't give a $#it.

IMO the next two years are it for our window, and if we don't take home the Lombardi in that time I don't care if he cures my mother of cancer, I want him gone...

KCWolfman
04-24-2005, 10:04 PM
If what he did this offseason and draft wins us a superbowl he can say he hates all those damned Krauts filling his stadium and I won't give a $#it.

IMO the next two years are it for our window, and if we don't take home the Lombardi in that time I don't care if he cures my mother of cancer, I want him gone...
Your mom is a Kraut with cancer sh*tting in our stadium?

Rain Man
04-24-2005, 10:05 PM

I gotta know right now!

Hammock Parties
04-24-2005, 10:05 PM
ROFL

stevieray
04-24-2005, 10:08 PM
I gotta know right now!

he's praying for the end of time.

CosmicPal
04-24-2005, 10:11 PM
"But we enjoy all of our fans and we have season ticket holders in 47 states, Washington D.C., and Puerto Rico and we love all of them, too.

I thought it was 49? Did we lose two states?

KCWolfman
04-24-2005, 10:12 PM
I thought it was 49? Did we lose two states?
Georgia and Maine seceded from the Union.

Don't you read the news?

Logical
04-24-2005, 10:17 PM
Wow, just Wow

That will be the closest we ever get to hearing an apology from Carl. Color me slightly impressed.

Ultra Peanut
04-24-2005, 10:18 PM
It's really been one out-of-character weekend, hasn't it?

I'm going to wake up tomorrow morning and find out we used all of our draft picks and Patrick Surtain to trade up to 1.5 and pick Erasmus James.

Hammock Parties
04-24-2005, 10:18 PM
Wow, just Wow

That will be the closest we ever get to hearing an apology from Carl. Color me slightly impressed.

Vlad, with your heart you might want to sit down after all this excitement today. :D

ZootedGranny
04-24-2005, 10:19 PM
When he's about to be torn apart by zombies in the Undead Wars of 2011, let's see if he cries out for a Chiefs fan.

Ultra Peanut
04-24-2005, 10:20 PM
When he's about to be torn apart by zombies in the Undead Wars of 2011, let's see if he cries out for a Chiefs fan.I love the mental image.

Hammock Parties
04-24-2005, 10:21 PM
When he's about to be torn apart by zombies in the Undead Wars of 2011, let's see if he cries out for a Chiefs fan.

Carl will be flanked by his uber-elite-secret-personal-guard-corps, consisting of Derrick Johnson, Rich Scanlon and Boomer Grigsby.

Taco John
04-24-2005, 10:24 PM

Two years? Boy, I just don't know that Roaf and Shields can last two full seasons...

Hammock Parties
04-24-2005, 10:25 PM
Two years? Boy, I just don't know that Roaf and Shields can last two full seasons...

Roaf said he wanted to play 3 more years. Who knows about Shields...but he's back for this year, at least.

whoman69
04-24-2005, 10:28 PM
I have to wonder how much money the Chiefs make from non season ticket holders? They will buy individual game tickets, buy Chiefs merchandise. Do those millions equal the direct money the Chiefs get from season ticket holders? Methinks Carl has a financial stake in all Chiefs fans.

mcan
04-24-2005, 11:06 PM
Get f*ck off Carl's back. He didn't say anything worth all you guys getting your panties in a bunch. He was calling out the media by saying, "hey you guys don't pay for your tickets, why should I listen to your critisism?" And anybody who says that wasn't his point is extremely fu*king stupid. Anybody who thinks that Carl Peterson really meant to say that anybody without a season ticket isn't a "real" fan can suck my dick, because you're a stupid bitch...

mcan
Has never talked that way before.

|Zach|
04-24-2005, 11:11 PM
I never had a problem with it in the first place and didnt read it the same as others.

mcan
04-24-2005, 11:14 PM
I never had a problem with it in the first place and didnt read it the same as others.

Ahh good, somebody with a brain around here... :clap:

|Zach|
04-24-2005, 11:18 PM
Ahh good, somebody with a brain around here... :clap:
It was dumb to say because when you read it, it does come off bad. He should not have said but it but I still don't think it meant what some thought it did.

Imagine someone saying it out loud.

Back in HS our coach was talking to us one day and we had this kid on our team who was a stud. He kept playing with broken noses and stuff like that. He was talking him up and saying good things about his commitment to the team. Aftger that he said... "Now Sean right there....is a real man."

The rest of the team didn't get up and start yelling because we thought by him saying that he was calling all of us pussies. Like I said, I dont think people are ridiculous for not liking what was said but I personally did not see it as a bad thing.

Hammock Parties
04-24-2005, 11:19 PM
I didn't have a huge problem with Carl's FUBAR'd statement, but it put me over the edge after years of ****-ups from the front office.

beavis
04-24-2005, 11:21 PM

Anyone else notice the commercials during the draft pimping season tickets? :hmmm:

Logical
04-24-2005, 11:26 PM
Get f*ck off Carl's back. He didn't say anything worth all you guys getting your panties in a bunch. He was calling out the media by saying, "hey you guys don't pay for your tickets, why should I listen to your critisism?" And anybody who says that wasn't his point is extremely fu*king stupid. Anybody who thinks that Carl Peterson really meant to say that anybody without a season ticket isn't a "real" fan can suck my dick, because you're a stupid bitch...

mcan

We are sorry we were picking on your daddy.

teedubya
04-24-2005, 11:29 PM
He still doesn't apoligize. He enjoys all Chief fans.

Yeah, the "real" fans and the other fans... he enjoys us all.

Phobia
04-24-2005, 11:41 PM
Here's my take....

If there were a dozen+ fulltime paid employees following me around, documenting everything coming out of my mouth - I'd get in trouble a lot more often than Carl. I don't care WTF he says this offseason - not any longer. He's doing well thus far. Hopefully he'll get our picks signed in a reasonable amount of time for offseason development.

BigRedChief
04-25-2005, 07:12 AM
mcan

I like when you talk dirty.:drool:

jspchief
04-25-2005, 07:50 AM
Here's my take....

If there were a dozen+ fulltime paid employees following me around, documenting everything coming out of my mouth - I'd get in trouble a lot more often than Carl. I don't care WTF he says this offseason - not any longer. He's doing well thus far. Hopefully he'll get our picks signed in a reasonable amount of time for offseason development.

Not a good analogy. Public speaking is part of his job description and he needs to use almost as much caution as a politician. He won't hear the end of this until he's no longer a Chief. Fair or not, that's how it works.

How often do you tell some of your customers that they are second class to better customers? I realize that non-season ticket holders truly are second fiddle to the "real" fans, but it's not very smart business practice to tell them that. Customers want to feel valued, not ranked.

Carl let Sh*tlock get the best of him and it resulted in him sticking his foot in his mouth. Had he not been trying to spin his way through the lie in the first place, he wouldn't have had to publicly rank his customers (which he's done twice now if you include this sad excuse for an apology).

C-Mac
04-25-2005, 07:53 AM
That was an exact quote. I've heard it 3 times in your own voice and words. He's trying to make it sound like he was misquoted. WTF theres audio.

He said he was "misinterpreted".......not "misquoted".
I for one never interpreted it the way the media potrayed it and tried to defend it a week ago.

Dartgod
04-25-2005, 08:07 AM
"I love all Kansas City Chiefs fans. All of them."
Sorry, Carl. You're not getting my Bud Light™.

Skip Towne
04-25-2005, 08:07 AM
I, too, think Carl's remarks were aimed at the media in general and Whitlock in particular. I also think Mcan has a potty mouth.

shaneo69
04-25-2005, 08:09 AM
Not a good analogy. Public speaking is part of his job description and he needs to use almost as much caution as a politician. He won't hear the end of this until he's no longer a Chief. Fair or not, that's how it works.

How often do you tell some of your customers that they are second class to better customers? I realize that non-season ticket holders truly are second fiddle to the "real" fans, but it's not very smart business practice to tell them that. Customers want to feel valued, not ranked.

Carl let Sh*tlock get the best of him and it resulted in him sticking his foot in his mouth. Had he not been trying to spin his way through the lie in the first place, he wouldn't have had to publicly rank his customers (which he's done twice now if you include this sad excuse for an apology).

Totally agree. Even in his "apology", he reiterates the fact that the season ticket holders are his first responsibility. Thanks Carl. I'm glad you put me above all these other bozos on this BB.

jspchief
04-25-2005, 08:11 AM
Totally agree. Even in his "apology", he reiterates the fact that the season ticket holders are his first responsibility. Thanks Carl. I'm glad you put me above all these other bozos on this BB.Yep. It's not that it's not true. I have no doubt that season ticket holders are a top priority. I just think it's bad business to publicly remind second class customers that they are second class.

Skip Towne
04-25-2005, 08:12 AM
Totally agree. Even in his "apology", he reiterates the fact that the season ticket holders are his first responsibility. Thanks Carl. I'm glad you put me above all these other bozos on this BB.
You and all the "other" bozos? That makes you a bozo also. Hahahahahaha

shaneo69
04-25-2005, 08:20 AM
You and all the "other" bozos? That makes you a bozo also. Hahahahahaha

I think you "misinterpreted" my statement.

BigRedChief
04-25-2005, 08:42 AM
I think you "misinterpreted" my statement.

I don't think so. He thinks you are a first class bozo and said so.

But since you are a "Real" Chiefs fan what do you care what the trailer trash thinks?:p

gblowfish
04-25-2005, 09:24 AM
And now....King Carl sings a heartfelt ballad and dedicates it to you, the very best fans in the NFL...and he means that sincerely...and...cue the karioke machine:

To all the fans I've loved before
Who travelled in and out my door
I'm glad they came along
I dedicate this song

To all the fans that I've incensed
I know that I've pissed off the best
You're helping me to grow
I owe a lot I know
To all the fans I've pissed before

The winds of change are always blowing
And every time I get to stay
The winds of change continue blowing
And I make money just the saaaaame...

To all the fans who shared my life
Those jealous of my trophy wife
I'm glad they came along
I dedicate this song

To all the fans who've kissed my ass
Who filled my bank with lots of cash
They live within my heart
I'll always be a part
Of all the fans I've fleeced before

The winds of change are always blowing
And every time I get to stay
The winds of change continue blowing
And I make money just the saaaaaame....

Those with tickets I love more
I'm glad they came along
We dedicate this song

I treat them all like dirty whores
Sometimes I make a mess
I blame it on the press...
and all the fans I've loved....... before!!

J Diddy
04-25-2005, 09:38 AM
Here's my take....

Here, here.

agreed.
:clap:

Ultra Peanut
04-25-2005, 10:11 AM
Ahh good, somebody with a brain around here... :clap:I'd be angry at you for overlooking my contribution to both the previous thread and this one, but I realize you must have taken the rest of my posts into account and subtracted my from the "brain" list.

BigRedChief
04-25-2005, 10:22 AM
I'd be angry at you for overlooking my contribution to both the previous thread and this one, but I realize you must have taken the rest of my posts into account and subtracted my from the "brain" list.

I guess I know where that leaves me then....a "Real" Chiefs fan. :harumph:

Bob Dole
04-25-2005, 11:30 AM
Here's my take....

If there were a dozen+ fulltime paid employees following me around, documenting everything coming out of my mouth - I'd get in trouble a lot more often than Carl.

FYI - It wouldn't take anywhere near a dozen.

patteeu
04-25-2005, 12:18 PM
What miscommunication? This isn't about the media King Carl. It's about the fans.

No, he's "trying to make it sound like" he was misinterpreted. You've heard it 3 times and you still can't figure it out. I guess he's right.

Seen in the most cynical light, you can interpret the quote to mean what you apparently want it to mean because it isn't the most artful turn of a phrase, but if you listen to the entire exchange without your Carl-hater glasses on, it's pretty easy to see that he is contrasting "real" fans with the antagonistic media, not season ticket holders versus pretend Chiefs fans.

BigRedChief
04-25-2005, 12:30 PM
No, he's "trying to make it sound like" he was misinterpreted. You've heard it 3 times and you still can't figure it out. I guess he's right.

Seen in the most cynical light, you can interpret the quote to mean what you apparently want it to mean because it isn't the most artful turn of a phrase, but if you listen to the entire exchange without your Carl-hater glasses on, it's pretty easy to see that he is contrasting "real" fans with the antagonistic media, not season ticket holders versus pretend Chiefs fans.

It's not cynical to take offense to his statement.

As a "Real" fan it wasn't directed at me but any way you try to spin it it wasn't a good thing for a CEO?GM/El Presidente to say.

patteeu
04-25-2005, 12:51 PM
It's not cynical to take offense to his statement.

As a "Real" fan it wasn't directed at me but any way you try to spin it it wasn't a good thing for a CEO?GM/El Presidente to say.

You can't misinterpret the statement like you did without a boatload of cynicism or a willingness to ignore the obvious.

It was much ado about nothing. You were played by the anagonistic media that took advantage of the cynicism in folks like you to turn a minor, unintentional spark into a conflagration.

As someone who isn't a member of the antagonistic media, it wasn't aimed at me either. I don't have season tickets.

mcan
04-25-2005, 11:58 PM
WOW! I got negative repped for my opinion... I can not believe how deeply engrained the hatred for Carl is in this community. And, for the record, I'm not trying to stick up for anybody because I like them. I don't know Carl Peterson, and I never will. The guy might be a total asshole. Or, he might be the kindest person on the face of the planet. I don't know.

But, I am the kinda person who

1. Doesn't bash on people (personally) when they aren't around to defend themselves.

2. I don't jump to conclusions about what people mean, and get offended.

3. I always defend someone when I feel they are being unfairly critisized.

Now, when people accuse Carl of being a bad GM, they can have thier opinion, and I don't come flying in to defend Carl. Maybe he is bad at his job. I don't think so, but it's not my call to make. However, this whole "real fans" fiasco is completely rediculous. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what he really meant. So, here I come to defend someone who I feel is being grossly misrepresented. Then of course, I take the heat. Because it's not good enough to hate someone completely for arbitrary reasons; you actually have to shit on those who take his side to. Shame on all of you.

Phobia
04-26-2005, 12:00 AM
Neg rep for you, mcan. Not because you're defending Carl, but because I dozed off halfway through your short story.

mcan
04-26-2005, 12:12 AM
There are several other points I'd like to make about the ignorence being spewed by a few of the posts in the threads on this issue. But, I'll limit myself to this (for now):

Carl let Sh*tlock get the best of him and it resulted in him sticking his foot in his mouth

So let me get this straight. You honestly believe that Carl Peterson has always resented the non-season ticket holding fans, and when Jason pressed him, he had some kind of slip of the tongue, and let his true emotions slip ala: Col Jessip in "A Few Good Men." You actually think that in Carl's heart of hearts believes that only season ticket holders have a claim to be "real" Chiefs fans.

This is sheer lunacy!

1. No general manager would ever think that. They are concerned about building a fan BASE. The Chiefs make a ton of money in shared television revenue and every team understands that the NFL wouldn't exist like it is today without the GIGANTIC home audience. They are also aware that there are several people who can't afford to go to games, and they are active in charities and try to help the community around them.

2. When Carl says that the season ticket holders are his first priority he's not calling the other fans second class fans, or ranking anybody. He's saying that they are his customers (as well as the teams fan base). His job is to keep them as happy as possible, and keep them coming back. It's retarded to think that he should keep this some kind of secret. The only reason you think it's a bad thing to say is because it came from Carl Peterson. If anybody else in the NFL said this, or if anybody who was a general manager of a business said anything like this, you wouldn't care one bit. It would never even cross your mind that it's a bad thing to say.

mcan
04-26-2005, 12:13 AM
Neg rep for you, mcan. Not because you're defending Carl, but because I dozed off halfway through your short story.

:(

Phobia
04-26-2005, 12:15 AM
:(

Dude - kidding.

Who is the new broad in your avatar?

I have a new crush on the chick from Grey's Anatomy. She reminds me a lot of Renae Zelweger, only better. Much better.

mcan
04-26-2005, 12:16 AM
Dude - kidding.

Who's the new broad...?

OH good... I don't know what those little yellow things are anyway.

It's the lovely Keira Knightly. She's practically perfect in every way. Certainly better than Mary Poppins...

Phobia
04-26-2005, 12:17 AM
check my edit, pls

mcan
04-26-2005, 12:47 AM
check my edit, pls

I edited my response to answer your question... I'm way ahead of you pal.