PDA

View Full Version : My draft review - a comprehensive list of Chiefs Players drafted this weekend.

Mr. Kotter
04-24-2005, 10:37 PM
I've gotta say, this is the first draft since '96 or '97 when I haven't screamed "Damn it, Carl....you're FIRED!!!" at my television.

Carl, Lynn, and Dick addressed need but also got good value for their picks. Svitek, Long, and Kilian appear to be "projects"...."reaches" even, but I remember what Solari did to a kid named Brian Waters, DV is tight with Long's coach, and Kilian is headed for the practice squad (DV even said so)....so in the 6th or 7th round, I can live with that.

1st Round: DJ....Wow. The best LB in college football falls into our laps at 15; what's not to like? He may not be DT, but he seems to already BE a polished "Donnie Edwards"...Gun should be able to turn him into something special: maybe more of a LaVar Arrington than a DT....eventually.

2nd Round: Surtain....the best CB in the "draft," heh. Seriously though, a 3 time All-Pro; respected by everyone I've heard comment....and considered by some one of the top 3 or 4 CBs in the league. And he's 28. His "prime" years should be ahead of him. :)

3rd Round: Dustin Colquit, P....anyone think we didn't desperately need one? He's been the best P in college for the past two years. He's a lock for the roster. Takin' a P this high would normally suck; not after the fiasco of the past three years....

4th Round: Craphonso Thorpe, WR...First/Second round value in the fourth; not bad. He has durability questions, and some dated character issues...but he seems to have grown up, and now appears to be back to 100% physically. A vertical threat to stretch the field....he and Parker may just be our future WRs (maybe not this year, but sooner rather than later.)

5th Round: James Grigsby, LB...at first I thought "reach." After reading up on the guy, I'm convinced he will make the roster. He's the work-out warrior, firey, in-your face type that will become the captain of the ST if nothing else. The new "Maz." It wouldn't surprise me at all if he emerges as a quality backup to Bell at MLB....Kawika better hope he can move back to OLB (doubtful), and it's good-bye Rich Scanlon.
5B: Alphonso Hodge, CB....if he had been a big school kid, he'd have gone in the 3rd or 4th. To me, his bio reads that he is a more coachable Bartee or Battle. Fast but a bit raw, and over aggressive at times....but with the ball skills that Bartee and Battle have never displayed. Bartee and Battle are gone, unless they can show some worth backing up the Safety position.

6th Round: Will Svitek, OT...a conversion from DE to OT won't happen over night, and may never. The physique, athleticism, and work ethic and attitude of this kid though will help a lot. If it is possible to do it, they've picked the right kid. Too bad Roaf probably only has one good year left, and Shields may decide to hang it up after next year. This "project" will take two or three years.
6B: Khari Long, DE....another project with potential--at least according to DV's buddy who was his coach. Since we appear set at defensive end with Hall's signing....as much as we can dream about Hick's replacement, it's a season or two away--at least.

7th Round: James Kilian, QB....good thought, bad execution. I'd have grabbed one of the other QBs still on the board at that point...the Fitzpatrick kid from Harvard will make a roster somewhere (St. Louis drafted him later--earlier, McPherson or Orton would have been good choices). This kid will be a TC arm, and may make the practic squad; but I doubt it.
7B: Jeremy Parquet, OT...good call here, in the 7th. Though he needs serious time in the weight room, and less time at the dinner table...there is real potential here. There just aren't many 6'7" 320 lb guys out there, so when you can grab one who likes to play football...you grab him. May not ever make the roster, but this is still a much better pick than Trazelle Jenkins ever was.

JMHO, based on what I read and heard over the weekend. Fire away...

Thoughts, comments??? :hmmm:

Coach
04-24-2005, 10:46 PM
Not bad. A few tibbits.

Svitek has played a little TE when he was in Sanford, so he has some little experience in terms of blocking. Of course, Brian Waters was in his shoes several years ago, and he turned out quite well. Same thing can be said to Dave Szott.

Long is projected to be a DE/LB tweener. He ran a 4.69 to 4.75 on several reports of him. Not sure about him.

Kilian seems interesting. Tulsa's OL was horrible last year and gave him no protection whatsoever. At least he has a better arm than Casey Claussen I would assume.

I also want to point out that Hodge power numbers and they're ALL equal or higher than Derrick Johnson's....

Maybe not all, but of the ones I saw on the profiles...

Derrick Johnson -345-pound bench press … 495-pound squat … 315-pound power clean

Hodge - 345-pound bench press … 510-pound squat … 330-power clean

Let's hope that translates into the field.

ChiefsCountry
04-24-2005, 10:48 PM
James Kilian is going to be the 3rd stringer. Cheaper than Huard. I think I might make him by adopt a chief.

Mr. Kotter
04-24-2005, 10:48 PM
Not bad. A few tibbits.

Svitek has played a little TE when he was in Sanford, so he has some little experience in terms of blocking. Of course, Brian Waters was in his shoes several years ago, and he turned out quite well. Same thing can be said to Dave Szott.

Long is projected to be a DE/LB tweener. He ran a 4.69 to 4.75 on several reports of him. Not sure about him.

Kilian seems interesting. Tulsa's OL was horrible last year and gave him no protection whatsoever. At least he has a better arm than Casey Claussen I would assume.

I also want to point out that Hodge power numbers and they're ALL equal or higher than Derrick Johnson's....

Maybe not all, but of the ones I saw on the profiles...

Derrick Johnson -345-pound bench press … 495-pound squat … 315-pound power clean

Hodge - 345-pound bench press … 510-pound squat … 330-power clean

Let's hope that translates into the field.

Yeah, the more I read about Hodge....he and Grisby....the more I like him.

Mr. Kotter
04-24-2005, 11:08 PM
James Kilian is going to be the 3rd stringer. Cheaper than Huard. I think I might make him by adopt a chief.

I hope I am wrong, and you are right; Green isn't gettin' any younger...and I don't plan on havin' any high first round picks to spend on a QB within the next year or two.

Ninjaman
04-25-2005, 12:28 AM
Gribsby. Nice. He dominated that level.

Overall: Grigsby is a late bloomer and very much a "sleeper" in the 2005 draft class. He was not heavily recruited out of high school, wound up going to Illinois State and took a redshirt year in 2000. However, as a redshirt freshman in 2001 he set the school's freshman record with 93 total tackles. He has been a fulltime starter since and has been an absolutely dominant player at that level. Grigsby was named the DI-AA Defensive Player of the Year as a junior and senior. He finished his junior season in 2003 with 179 total tackles, 12 TFL and three sacks and his senior season in 2004 with 129 tackles, 8.5 TFL and three sacks. There is obviously a concern about his ability to make the transition from DI-AA collegiate level to the NFL. Grigsby also lacks a strong base, runs around too many blocks and has some ... For complete overview, strengths and weaknesses, login above or become an Insider.

Miles
04-25-2005, 12:30 AM
Es spectacularrrhttp://www.gifmaniacos.com/SouthPark/Ned/mehr61.gif

teedubya
04-25-2005, 12:41 AM
Im as excited as the 1993 offseason...

tk13
04-25-2005, 12:59 AM
It should be interesting to see how some of these guys pan out. Thorpe has the potential to be a solid WR, but I have very tempered expectations for this year. I think Grigsby could be a special teams beast, he seems to have the perfect mindset for it. Hodge is the one I really want to see make it. I hope he can push everybody else out of the nickel spot... he might have a chance, I don't have faith in any of our current CB's right now.

Nightfyre
04-25-2005, 01:14 AM
JMHO, based on what I read and heard over the weekend. Fire away...

Thoughts, comments??? :hmmm:
you and I agree on something.... interesting :hmmm:

digi2fish
04-25-2005, 02:25 AM
Im as excited as the 1993 offseason...

Yeah, the killer D is back !
:)

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2005, 06:32 AM

Overall: Grigsby is a late bloomer and very much a "sleeper" in the 2005 draft class. He was not heavily recruited out of high school, wound up going to Illinois State and took a redshirt year in 2000. However, as a redshirt freshman in 2001 he set the school's freshman record with 93 total tackles. He has been a fulltime starter since and has been an absolutely dominant player at that level. Grigsby was named the DI-AA Defensive Player of the Year as a junior and senior. He finished his junior season in 2003 with 179 total tackles, 12 TFL and three sacks and his senior season in 2004 with 129 tackles, 8.5 TFL and three sacks. There is obviously a concern about his ability to make the transition from DI-AA collegiate level to the NFL. Grigsby also lacks a strong base, runs around too many blocks and has some ... For complete overview, strengths and weaknesses, login above or become an Insider.

I'm pumped about this guy; not as a starter, but as a manaic on special teams...and a guy, that if given a job because of injuries, will be the type to never relinquish it. :)

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2005, 06:33 AM
you and I agree on something.... interesting :hmmm:

Ah, crap.....now I'm gonna have to reconsider some of my thoughts. ;)

DeepSouth
04-25-2005, 06:50 AM
Khari Long - Can you say "Goodbye Gary Stills"?

htismaqe
04-25-2005, 07:00 AM
My take:

1st - Johnson - outstanding pick. Just never expected him to be there.

2nd - Surtain - what can one say about this move, there's no way a 2nd-round draftee can beat this

3rd - Colquitt - alot of people don't like taking a punter this high, me personally, I like it. This guy will be an instant starter, how many 3rd-round picks can say that the day after they're drafted?

4th - Thorpe - I like this pick too. Without his issues, he could have been right up there with Williamson (maybe not Edwards and Williams).

5th - Grigsby - he dominated in 1-AA, period. This guy has the SAME pedigree as Jared Allen. For a 5th-round pick it's worth the risk.

5th - Hodge - I watched this kid in college and I like this pick. He's not flashy but he's solid. The kind of guy that could play nickel by mid-season.

6th - Svitek - this is the first pick I don't really like. A huge project moving him over to the o-line that will likely take so long that he's gone before it happens.

6th - Long - I don't like this pick either. He's a 3-4 pass rusher, and not particularly productive at that. At best, he'll end up on the practice squad.

7th - Kilian - not as upset as some about this pick. It's a 7th-rounder so there's really no downside. I think this kid suffered alot from playing on a VERY bad team. I'm just glad we didn't draft Kyle Orton.

7th - Parquet - I love this pick. Again, as a 7th-rounder, there's virtually no risk. And everything I've read on the guy is that he's ready to play in the NFL, he just lacks strength. This could be a HUGE steal.

Phobia
04-25-2005, 07:00 AM
I hope you don't mind - I've hijacked your thread title and plan to sticky this thread as a service to our Monday morning visitors. I had planned to ask somebody to make a thread like this, but yours was perfect.

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2005, 07:05 AM
I hope you don't mind - I've hijacked your thread title and plan to sticky this thread as a service to our Monday morning visitors. I had planned to ask somebody to make a thread like this, but yours was perfect.

I'm honored. Thank you.

the Talking Can
04-25-2005, 07:23 AM
I hope Grigsby can be the next Benny Thompson (?), the guy who did the "dog peeing on your ankle" routine after every special teams tackle.

I think nationally people are dogging our drafting because they a) can't equate our 2nd with Surtain and b) we had a ton of 2nd day picks which just aren't sexy compared to, say, Dallas with two #1's.

I'm not going to base a draft grade on 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks. We got 3 starters on the first day. That's a god damn tri-fecta with CP running the draft.

Johnson and Surtain make this draft an A. The fact we got a player named Crapface is just icing on the cake.

SCTrojan
04-25-2005, 07:26 AM
Gotta say that I was not a big fan of the punter pick in the 3rd round, but I can understand the reasoning.

Looking through the picks and the current status of the team, I think Thorpe and Boomer just might be the biggest surprises of the draft.

Phobia
04-25-2005, 07:29 AM
I hope Grigsby can be the next Benny Thompson (?), the guy who did the "dog peeing on your ankle" routine after every special teams tackle.

I think nationally people are dogging our drafting because they a) can't equate our 2nd with Surtain and b) we had a ton of 2nd day picks which just aren't sexy compared to, say, Dallas with two #1's.

Not only 2nd for Surtain but a 3rd for Welbourne. Yeah, he wasn't great at RT, but he'd start at G for any team in the NFL except KC.

the Talking Can
04-25-2005, 07:32 AM
Not only 2nd for Surtain but a 3rd for Welbourne. Yeah, he wasn't great at RT, but he'd start at G for any team in the NFL except KC.

see how it happens?...I forgot about Welbourne!...out of sight, out of mind...Welbourne will still help us at guard...but national writers are treating Welbourne/Surtain as "not-draft picks"

Phobia
04-25-2005, 07:36 AM
see how it happens?...I forgot about Welbourne!...out of sight, out of mind...Welbourne will still help us at guard...but national writers are treating Welbourne/Surtain as "not-draft picks"

All the while touting the Randy Moss trade as the reason the Raiders get an "A".

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2005, 07:40 AM
Gotta say that I was not a big fan of the punter pick in the 3rd round, but I can understand the reasoning.

Looking through the picks and the current status of the team, I think Thorpe and Boomer just might be the biggest surprises of the draft.

Colquit was selected more for his hang time, and directional kicking....as much as distance.

AirForceChief
04-25-2005, 07:41 AM
All the while touting the Randy Moss trade as the reason the Raiders get an "A".

Maybe if Welbourne and Surtain pretend to rub their asses on Invesco Fields goal posts the Chiefs willl get the respect their draft deserves!!

HemiEd
04-25-2005, 07:43 AM

And a fifth for Hall, correct?

the Talking Can
04-25-2005, 07:51 AM
And a fifth for Hall, correct?

correct..we got a lot out of this draft...A

Edubs
04-25-2005, 08:20 AM

I really think this was a great pick(kicker). We filled needs like never before. This guy is a freak. He is a big mofo and he is the best college punter. I am so excited about this season.

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2005, 09:33 AM
I really think this was a great pick(kicker). We filled needs like never before. This guy is a freak. He is a big mofo and he is the best college punter. I am so excited about this season.

SCTrojanMan is just pimpin' his fellow Trojan man Tom Malone who will come out next year....big leg, and longer average kick; but I'm not sure how he matches Colquit's directional punting and hang time..... :hmmm:

penchief
04-25-2005, 09:37 AM

Does this guy's attitude remind anyone else of Dino Hackett? It just seems like this guy loves to play football the old-fashioned way.

penchief
04-25-2005, 09:43 AM
Hodge is the one I really want to see make it. I hope he can push everybody else out of the nickel spot... he might have a chance, I don't have faith in any of our current CB's right now.

With the arrival of Surtain, I think we will be okay. We needed a guy that could come in here and show some of our young DB's how to play. We haven't had that since James Hasty, IMO. Between Surtain and Knight, it is possible that some of our young DB's can be salvaged. Sapp already has an attitude. Maybe Wesley, Bartee, and Battle can be salvaged from the scrap-heap by on-the-field leadership. I also believe we might have found a gem in Hodge.

penchief
04-25-2005, 09:46 AM
3rd - Colquitt - alot of people don't like taking a punter this high, me personally, I like it. This guy will be an instant starter, how many 3rd-round picks can say that the day after they're drafted?

If there is one thing about our team that has been consistently worse than our defense in recent years, it has to be our kicking woes. I like this pick very much.

I'm viewing the compensatory 99th overall pick as a 4th rounder anyway.

penchief
04-25-2005, 09:55 AM

IMO, the rush to express one's expertise opinion immediately after the draft concludes often makes it too easy for some of these lazy-asses to make snap judgments without doing their homework. After most of these so-called experts have had the time to do a fair analysis of each team's off-season, many of them of them will quickly change their own evaluations.

Mostly, they just jump on the media bandwagon the first few days following the draft, IMHO.

Manila-Chief
04-25-2005, 09:55 AM
Look ... I'm no homer by any stretch of the imagination, but I think we deserve a grade of A+ on this draft. I base it on the picks of the first day. DJ, Pat, Welbourn, and Colquit... 3 of the 4 will start and play well. Welbourn will be a quality back up and as Phil said ... replace Shields one day.

Let's face it ... not many of the 2nd day picks by any team will start much less become a probowler. With the ability that all teams have for scouting and grading players, most quality players are gone the first day... so why base a grade on players who will be only special teamers and/or practice squad???

But, I don't discount the possibility of one or 2 of them adjusting to the NFL and becoming a star. I don't expect it, because they will probably not get on the practice enough to develop. I'd like to see one of the speed guys make the effort and develop. You can't teach speed either on O or D. The O lineman have a chance... but, yes it will take a few years.... that will just be icing upon the cake.

I don't put too much stock on what sports writers for the national media says about the Chiefs. I hope they give us a poor grade. The true grade is determined in TC and then the actual games.

CosmicPal
04-25-2005, 10:15 AM
I'm still not sold on Colquitt. Ahem, just so you know- the guy is NOT a lock. Green Bay took a punter in the third round last year, and didn't even make it as a starter. I really felt like could have picked up a DB or DE in the third, but if I'm wrong about Colquitt and he does make the team, then of course it was a good pick. I just feel as though we could have gotten him or at least another punter in the later rounds.

I do like the Thorpe and the Hodge picks- they will both be outstanding players in the years to come and I was hoping either one would fall to us in the mid rounds as they did.

After reading up on Boomer- I gotta say this kid is something special....he has the kind of tenacity you dream of for a defensive player, and I hope he ends up making this team- not just as a special teams player, but someone that elevates the linebacking corps for the next few years.

The rest of the picks- I'm not happy with. I know the percentages are very low that you will find gems or starters, but you don't draft guys who are projected to be UNDRAFTED FREE AGENTS! No team is clamoring for these guys, and I really felt like if the Chiefs wanted these guys, they could have picked them up as free agents after the draft and instead go for a reach in another WR or pick up Fitzpatrick or someone who IS projected to be drafted.

Ironically, I've always had a problem with the first half of Carl's draft and have always loved his mid-to-late rounds. But, this time- he's done an outstanding job in the first half, but he failed miserably in the bottom half.

Manila-Chief
04-25-2005, 10:17 AM
Hey, is it possible to grade the graders? I mean someone take the grades they give and then look at the picks say 3 years later and evaluate them?

Just a thought????

My point ... the real grade is on field not on paper.

yoswif
04-25-2005, 10:26 AM
If Svitek can catch, imagine the matchup problems a 300 lb TE with good quickness and agility would create? He played TE in high school and college; I'd give him a shot a "big" TE before Oline. Dunn isn't getting any younger.

htismaqe
04-25-2005, 10:38 AM
I'm still not sold on Colquitt. Ahem, just so you know- the guy is NOT a lock. Green Bay took a punter in the third round last year, and didn't even make it as a starter. I really felt like could have picked up a DB or DE in the third, but if I'm wrong about Colquitt and he does make the team, then of course it was a good pick. I just feel as though we could have gotten him or at least another punter in the later rounds.

No, he's not a lock. But look at his chances of contributing out of the gate.

They're greater than Key Fox, Eric Downing, and Rashan Sheehee combined.

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2005, 10:55 AM
If Svitek can catch, imagine the matchup problems a 300 lb TE with good quickness and agility would create? He played TE in high school and college; I'd give him a shot a "big" TE before Oline. Dunn isn't getting any younger.

Wouldn't that be somethin'... :hmmm:

Frankie
04-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Hodge is the one I really want to see make it. I hope he can push everybody else out of the nickel spot... he might have a chance, I don't have faith in any of our current CB's right now.

Not even Surtain?:shrug:

Frankie
04-25-2005, 11:01 AM

That's been exactly my thinking ever since we picked him. I bet DV and AS are thinking that too.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
04-25-2005, 11:31 AM
I hik Kilian will be fine. Orton does not impress me at all.

My future QBOTF is Sam Keller at Arizona State. I think this kid could develop into something special.

BTW, Fitzpatrick will fizzle out of the NFL. I watched him play HS ball in Gilbert. I never got the feeling he could be a good big conference QB in college or the NFL for that fact. Fitzy is an ivy league QB...he'll be out of the league in two years and running his own Edward Jones Investment office or selling insurance for State Farm.

7th Round: James Kilian, QB....good thought, bad execution. I'd have grabbed one of the other QBs still on the board at that point...the Fitzpatrick kid from Harvard will make a roster somewhere (St. Louis drafted him later--earlier, McPherson or Orton would have been good choices). This kid will be a TC arm, and may make the practic squad; but I doubt it.

Frankie
04-25-2005, 11:38 AM
My future QBOTF is Sam Keller at Arizona State. I think this kid could develop into something special.

Oooo you got me curious now. Now I have to go read up on this guy. I like his name too. "Keller the DB Killer!"

Logical
04-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Ironically, I've always had a problem with the first half of Carl's draft and have always loved his mid-to-late rounds. But, this time- he's done an outstanding job in the first half, but he failed miserably in the bottom half.

For me this is an improvement, I hope it is for you as well.

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2005, 12:06 PM
I hik Kilian will be fine. Orton does not impress me at all.

BTW, Fitzpatrick will fizzle out of the NFL. I watched him play HS ball in Gilbert. I never got the feeling he could be a good big conference QB in college or the NFL for that fact. Fitzy is an ivy league QB...he'll be out of the league in two years and running his own Edward Jones Investment office or selling insurance for State Farm.

I hope you are right about Kilian. :thumb:

Coogs
04-25-2005, 12:29 PM
My future QBOTF is...

The dude from Iowa, Drew Tate. He did a hell of a job last season considering he had no running game at all to go with him.

Iowa had 428 rushing attempts last season for 871 yards.

Here are Tate's numbers...

Player Att Cmp Pct Yds Yds/Att Tds Int
Drew Tate 343 213 62.1 2499 7.3 18 12

Chris Meck
04-25-2005, 12:33 PM
I disagree about the late round picks, I like them quite a it.

'Boomer' looks like a ST stud from day one. all the other picks are pretty much outstanding athletes that are a bit raw technique-wise. I have no problem with that in the late rounds of the draft. Hell, I think that's what the late rounds of the draft are FOR.

A speedy WR, a biggish physical corner-yeah, they have questions, but who doesn't in the late rounds?

Keep in mind that Svitek is, in addition to being a physical freak, also VERY smart, and will get to learn from Big Willie for a couple of years (Roaf says he wants to play 3). A 6'7" 300 lb. physical specimen like that is worth trying to find a place for.

Kilian also is VERY smart; has good size, a good arm, and some scrambling ability. I think he played on a crap team with little surrounding talent, but the tangibles are there; and the intangibles would appear to be as well, in intelligence, desire, and playmaking abilities.

And the last guy, the OT whose name escapes me right now needs only to add some strength, but has good size and quick feet. Sounds good that late in the draft.

I give this draft an 'A' for its' forward thinking. Now some of these guys won't pan out and it's hard to say which ones right now, but each player makes perfect sense, IMO.

Chris

the Talking Can
04-25-2005, 12:44 PM
our 6th and 7th round picks look like Denver's 2nd and 3rd round picks...I'm cool with that

Hoover
04-25-2005, 12:52 PM
In the 5th round you should be able to get guys who can be solid players and make the roster. After that, everyone is drafting a project.

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2005, 12:53 PM
I disagree about the late round picks, I like them quite a it.

'Boomer' looks like a ST stud from day one. all the other picks are pretty much outstanding athletes that are a bit raw technique-wise. I have no problem with that in the late rounds of the draft. Hell, I think that's what the late rounds of the draft are FOR.

A speedy WR, a biggish physical corner-yeah, they have questions, but who doesn't in the late rounds?

Keep in mind that Svitek is, in addition to being a physical freak, also VERY smart, and will get to learn from Big Willie for a couple of years (Roaf says he wants to play 3). A 6'7" 300 lb. physical specimen like that is worth trying to find a place for.

Kilian also is VERY smart; has good size, a good arm, and some scrambling ability. I think he played on a crap team with little surrounding talent, but the tangibles are there; and the intangibles would appear to be as well, in intelligence, desire, and playmaking abilities.

And the last guy, the OT whose name escapes me right now needs only to add some strength, but has good size and quick feet. Sounds good that late in the draft.

I give this draft an 'A' for its' forward thinking. Now some of these guys won't pan out and it's hard to say which ones right now, but each player makes perfect sense, IMO.

Chris

I don't disagree much with what you've said. "Boomer" will likely be a great addition to ST; his contributions at LB will probably be down the road though. I think Hodge has a chance to get on the field as soon or sooner, at nickle or dime.

Regarding Svitek, I couldn't agree more--but he's at least 2 yrs away from steppin into that. I didn't think Roaf had 3 yrs left in him, I hope you are right. Thorpe could be a steal of a WR. I also think Parquet is as good a 7th round pick as any.

I'm just not sure about the Kilian kid--I hope I'm wrong. It seems to be pretty well established he was a bright spot on an otherwise dismal group in college. He could be a diamond in the rough.

Frankie
04-25-2005, 01:05 PM
The dude from Iowa, Drew Tate. He did a hell of a job last season considering he had no running game at all to go with him.

Iowa had 428 rushing attempts last season for 871 yards.

Here are Tate's numbers...

Player Att Cmp Pct Yds Yds/Att Tds Int
Drew Tate 343 213 62.1 2499 7.3 18 12

Bu.. bu.. but I remember Iowanian saying months ago that Tate is not very good and their back up is the guy who's a stud and should start for them. :shrug:

Coogs
04-25-2005, 01:29 PM
Bu.. bu.. but I remember Iowanian saying months ago that Tate is not very good and their back up is the guy who's a stud and should start for them. :shrug:

He was just a Sophmore, and led them to a 10-2 record. I don't know anything about their backup, but Tate looked pretty good considering every RB they had was injured.

htismaqe
04-25-2005, 01:36 PM

Surely you're mistaken.

Tate is not only good, he's got the potential to be GREAT. I don't know how well that translates to the NFL, because he's not 6'4" and 225 pounds.

I'll tell you this -- the guy reads through progressions like a seasoned vet, he looks like Trent Green out there. He ALWAYS finds the open man, even in dire situations like the end of the bowl game against LSU. The other thing is that he has eyes in the back of his head. The offensive line allowed alot of pressure last year and he always seemed to get away and get the ball off.

His dad is a High School coach and produced some QB's like El Roberson and Clint Stoerner. Tate is extremely polished and mature for being a true sophomore last year.

Frankie
04-25-2005, 01:45 PM
Surely you're mistaken.

Tate is not only good, he's got the potential to be GREAT. I don't know how well that translates to the NFL, because he's not 6'4" and 225 pounds.

I'll tell you this -- the guy reads through progressions like a seasoned vet, he looks like Trent Green out there. He ALWAYS finds the open man, even in dire situations like the end of the bowl game against LSU. The other thing is that he has eyes in the back of his head. The offensive line allowed alot of pressure last year and he always seemed to get away and get the ball off.

His dad is a High School coach and produced some QB's like El Roberson and Clint Stoerner. Tate is extremely polished and mature for being a true sophomore last year.
I WAS a little sarcastic to needle Iowanian a bit. I do remember him ragging a bit on Tate in favor of some backup he was pimping. I like Tate too and would love us to draft him. Even though I'm a Cyclone.

And,.... Don't call me Shirley!

htismaqe
04-25-2005, 02:01 PM
I WAS a little sarcastic to needle Iowanian a bit. I do remember him ragging a bit on Tate in favor of some backup he was pimping. I like Tate too and would love us to draft him. Even though I'm a Cyclone.

And,.... Don't call me Shirley!

Maybe it was prior to the season? Because I know pretty much everybody, myself included, thought Jason Manson would push Tate for the job coming out of spring/summer practices.

But onces Tate stepped on the field in Game 1, there was no looking back.

Coogs
04-25-2005, 02:07 PM
Maybe it was prior to the season? Because I know pretty much everybody, myself included, thought Jason Manson would push Tate for the job coming out of spring/summer practices.

But onces Tate stepped on the field in Game 1, there was no looking back.

Getting off topic here, but do you think Tate will come out next year or go all 4 years to Iowa?

As of right now, I would want him to be the Chiefs future QB, even over the USC QB.

tk13
04-25-2005, 02:08 PM
Not even Surtain?:shrug:
Oh yeah I'm fine with Surtain and Warfield. I meant CB's competing for the nickel spot... should've clarified that. Maybe McCleon will be alright, I don't know. I'd like Bartee to be the one we keep as the dime CB because he can tackle and is a good special teams player. Until somebody steps up and proves they can be a good 3rd CB that's going to worry me a bit. There are a lot of teams that can put 3 good WR's out there. It does say how far our defense has come though that I'm worrying about #3 instead of CB #1 and 2.

Frankie
04-25-2005, 02:12 PM
Getting off topic here, but do you think Tate will come out next year or go all 4 years to Iowa?

As of right now, I would want him to be the Chiefs future QB, even over the USC QB.
I'd love to get him too. But for that to happen we need to have a top 10 pick or for Tate to break his leg in his senior season. Not that I'd wish that for him.

Coogs
04-25-2005, 02:49 PM
I'd love to get him too. But for that to happen we need to have a top 10 pick or for Tate to break his leg in his senior season. Not that I'd wish that for him.

I'm thinking top 10 too. If he is comming out next year, barring a really crappy season, which absolutely nobody here wants, we won't have a chance.

If, however he graduates from Iowa, and we have a good year next year, which everyone here wants, do something like Denver did and trade next years 1st rounder for a 1st rounder in 2007. Then with two 1st round picks in 2007 you never know.

Coogs
04-25-2005, 02:51 PM
Wouldn't avoiding a block be preferable to, y'know, being blocked?

:LOL:

That's what I would think!

yoswif
04-25-2005, 04:24 PM

When a player runs around a block and takes himself out of the play, he not only doesn't stop the ballcarrier but the blocker meant for him is free to block one of his teammates. It's something teammates and coaches don't like very much.

Ultra Peanut
04-25-2005, 04:31 PM
When a player runs around a block and takes himself out of the play, he not only doesn't stop the ballcarrier but the blocker meant for him is free to block one of his teammates. It's something teammates and coaches don't like very much.I think it's quite evident from the whole "best LB in college football" thing that DJ didn't take himself out of too many plays.

Coogs
04-25-2005, 05:54 PM
Why is that assumed?

Comes from watching 3 years of Chiefs defense. ;)

the Talking Can
04-25-2005, 06:00 PM
When a player runs around a block and takes himself out of the play, he not only doesn't stop the ballcarrier but the blocker meant for him is free to block one of his teammates. It's something teammates and coaches don't like very much.

now I get it, you're talking about Techmo bowl....see, we're talking about the NFL...

yoswif
04-25-2005, 06:10 PM
I think it's quite evident from the whole "best LB in college football" thing that DJ didn't take himself out of too many plays.

When I hear former players (Golic, Mayock, Hodge, etc.) saying DJ can't get away with running around blocks in the pros like he did in college, I figure their playing experience in the pros leads them to believe this to be true. Since I don't have the kind of NFL experience they do, who am I to argue?

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2005, 06:17 PM

I've been tryin' to find a good, concise way to counter that criticism; that's it.... ROFL

PastorMikH
04-25-2005, 06:32 PM
I must say, I am rather suprised by this draft. Perhaps all the presure got to Carl because I think he made some decent decisions this time around. I can't believe we got DJ, and I am happy with the Surtain trade as well as the punter pick (Now, let's keep DV away from him, lest we have yet another punter fail). 2nd day selections seem a bit more normal - some look like they will make it, others may not.

All in all I am happy.

FWIW though, I am also quite suprised that Jason White wasn't picked by someone on the second day.

Ultra Peanut
04-25-2005, 06:55 PM
When I hear former players (Golic, Mayock, Hodge, etc.) saying DJ can't get away with running around blocks in the pros like he did in college, I figure their playing experience in the pros leads them to believe this to be true. Since I don't have the kind of NFL experience they do, who am I to argue?And Terrell Davis said Maurice Clarett was a great pick for Denver. Whatever.

Phobia
04-25-2005, 08:41 PM
And Terrell Davis said Maurice Clarett was a great pick for Denver. Whatever.

Davis was paid tens of millions of dollars to say nice things about the Broncos from now until eternity.

HemiEd
04-25-2005, 10:36 PM
FWIW though, I am also quite suprised that Jason White wasn't picked by someone on the second day.

Not trying to be a smart a$$, just curious. What do you think Jason White will do in the NFL?

Phobia
04-25-2005, 10:37 PM
Not trying to be a smart a$$, just curious. What do you think Jason White will do in the NFL?

I think he's been phased out by Motorola's wireless headset technology.

ChiefsCountry
04-25-2005, 11:14 PM
When I hear former players (Golic, Mayock, Hodge, etc.) saying DJ can't get away with running around blocks in the pros like he did in college, I figure their playing experience in the pros leads them to believe this to be true. Since I don't have the kind of NFL experience they do, who am I to argue?

Those guys are full of $hit. They were praising him earlier in the week, he falls then they he stinks.

Phobia
04-26-2005, 12:05 AM
Hopefully by now everybody knows who was drafted. Nice thread, Rob.

Mr. Kotter
04-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Looking back to last year, I didn't do too bad....:hmmm: