PDA

View Full Version : Can Kawika make transistion to 'OUTSIDE LINEBACKER' ?????

Ninjaman
04-25-2005, 12:48 AM
Thoughts ? I have no clue on this ? Boomer Grigsby might beat out Bell ? Or is this wishful thinking ?

chiefsfolife
04-25-2005, 12:49 AM
whats wrong wit fujita

|Zach|
04-25-2005, 12:51 AM
No, he can't. He has trouble with space. LB is more space.

Ninjaman
04-25-2005, 12:53 AM
He's supposed to be a great athlete that can cover.

Lets hope.

Miles
04-25-2005, 12:55 AM
I’m not sure Gunther Fan. It would be nice if he could but it doesn't seem too likely. He has the athleticism but doesn’t appear to have the right mentality for it.

|Zach|
04-25-2005, 01:02 AM
He's supposed to be a great athlete that can cover.

Lets hope.
Mitchell??

go bo
04-25-2005, 01:31 AM
he's played mlb his whole football career...

he's never played olb...

and iirc, scouting reports were that he didn't do well in space...

and imo he's not going to make it as an olb...

el borracho
04-25-2005, 01:41 AM
IIRC, Mitchell is fast enough. Is there anything other than speed that an OLB needs that a MLB does not need? I can't think of anything but it is late. I would guess Mitchell could do at least as well at OLB as he could at MLB.

philfree
04-25-2005, 01:52 AM

he's never played olb...

I thought Mitchell played all LB positions in his 4 years in college. I'm pretty sure I read that in his Bio when he was drafted 3 years ago. It will be interesting to see what Gun does with the group of LBs we have. Without Maz and Barber we are pretty young at LB. One thing about Johnson is he covers well so he's another cog in sealing up the our awful pass D. Well what was our Awful pass D cause I think with the players we've acquired it will be much better.

PhilFree:arrow:

DaWolf
04-25-2005, 02:11 AM
KAWIKA MITCHELL (6’ 250) ILB SOUTH FLORIDA – While looking at defensive mate Shurron Pierson, scouts may have gotten a bigger charge out of seeing Mitchell. Native Hawaiian was ranked 19th among inside backers in The Sporting News Draft Preview, but has now cracked the top five on Rob’s Scouting and KFFL, among other lists – ahead of more well known names such as Bradie James and Lance Briggs. The transfer from Georgia ran 40’s of 4.61 and 4.65, along with a 40-inch vertical and a 10’1” long jump – and then lifted 28 times!!!! The 28 lifts and 4.6 time both rank among the fastest at the position, talk about a size/strength combo. Recorded 117 tackles this past season including 19 TFL’s, along with four sacks and an interception. Recorded 106 tackles the year before. Can be used at both weakside as well as middle linebacker. Tough competitor who once walked away from a car crash where he was thrown from his vehicle at 50 mph. If you see Mitchell selected on the first day ahead of some other names you were expecting, now you know who he is.

philfree
04-25-2005, 02:33 AM
KAWIKA MITCHELL (6’ 250) ILB SOUTH FLORIDA – While looking at defensive mate Shurron Pierson, scouts may have gotten a bigger charge out of seeing Mitchell. Native Hawaiian was ranked 19th among inside backers in The Sporting News Draft Preview, but has now cracked the top five on Rob’s Scouting and KFFL, among other lists – ahead of more well known names such as Bradie James and Lance Briggs. The transfer from Georgia ran 40’s of 4.61 and 4.65, along with a 40-inch vertical and a 10’1” long jump – and then lifted 28 times!!!! The 28 lifts and 4.6 time both rank among the fastest at the position, talk about a size/strength combo. Recorded 117 tackles this past season including 19 TFL’s, along with four sacks and an interception. Recorded 106 tackles the year before. Can be used at both weakside as well as middle linebacker. Tough competitor who once walked away from a car crash where he was thrown from his vehicle at 50 mph. If you see Mitchell selected on the first day ahead of some other names you were expecting, now you know who he is.

I thought he was starting to improve the last ten games of last season and with another offseason program of OTAs and Trainning Camp he should be even more improved. DV said Johnson would compete with Fujita but to me and others I've read or heard he seems like a natural for a WLB or a RLB in our case. So if Barbers healthy it's Barber, Bell, Johnson...... Johnson will beat out Fujita. I'm sure he's pissed he slipped all the way 15th when many thought he was the best defender in the draft and at least a top 10 pick. He'll have a chip! From 10th to 15th :hmmm: Wonder how many millions that is?

Ultra Peanut
04-25-2005, 04:17 AM
Anyone here have a transistion radio?

Skip Towne
04-25-2005, 06:10 AM
If he can't he'll need to make the transition to insurance salesman.

siberian khatru
04-25-2005, 06:26 AM

Wow, that guy sounds awesome! I hope we draft him. Can't-miss prospect if you ask me.

DeepSouth
04-25-2005, 06:53 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Bell on one side, DJ on the other and Mitchell in the middle when the season starts.

Fox, Fuji, and Grigsby as backups.

htismaqe
04-25-2005, 07:25 AM
Mitchell played outside and inside in college.

But I'm not convinced he can play at all.

ROYC75
04-25-2005, 07:34 AM
Mitchell has ability to play all 3 positions, Me thinks he lacks the ability to read the play as it developes and has trouble with blockers. Being on the outside will allow him to react and shead blocks a little better. Time will tell.

It has been mentioned that Fox has the same problems, lacks ability to shead blocks and slow reading plays according to DV.

The good part is that it can be taught in time.

It's going to be an interesting TC.

Skip Towne
04-25-2005, 07:36 AM

We seem to have more than our share of guys who have all the tools but can't play. Sims, Mitchell and Bartee among others. I wonder if we have shitty position coaches or what else could it be?

whoman69
04-25-2005, 07:39 AM
I think Kawika is Polynesian for career backup. I don't expect any transition to the outside to work. He is constantly taking the wrong angle of attack in a narrow corridor at MLB, a problem which will be magnified on the outside. While his speed is very good for the middle, its just ok for the outside. While he is fast, there is nothing to indicate that he is quick.

ct
04-25-2005, 07:57 AM
...I'm sure he's pissed he slipped all the way 15th when many thought he was the best defender in the draft and at least a top 10 pick. He'll have a chip! From 10th to 15th :hmmm: Wonder how many millions that is?

Not nearly as much as potential #1 overall to #24, now that had to hurt!!

I really think DJ will end up at WLB, or excuse me, RLB. The knock on DJ is he's a free lancer who needs space to excel, so KC moves him to SLB to shore up this aspect of his game perhaps? And at the same time put some pressure on Fujita that your job isn't safe either, step it up! Make every last guy on D uncomfortable with thier job, get these guys motivated to perform at a much much higher level than ever before!!

And then when it really comes to putting together a lineup, Fujita proves he is healthy and better than Mitchell can ever be, move DJ back to Will, with Bell in the Mike and Fujita as Sam.

Cormac
04-25-2005, 08:35 AM
I hope we find a way to keep Fujita on the field. He was really slowed by that ankle injury last year. When he's healthy, I think he's a quality starter. If he and DJ share a position, DJ will have to be everything he is advertised to beat out a healthy Fujita in TC as a rookie. JMO.

wolfpack0735
04-25-2005, 08:51 AM
if fuji comes back i could see him on one side,dj the other and bell in the middle. i think it willbe hard for barber to come back from a major knee problem. it also seemed barber missed alot of tackles also. bell, dj, and fuji would be a fast lb`er group.

Coogs
04-25-2005, 09:45 AM
It has been mentioned that Fox has the same problems, lacks ability to shead blocks and slow reading plays according to DV.

Not doubting you, but could you provide a link for this?

ChiTown
04-25-2005, 09:48 AM

I can't figure this kid out at all.

I think he lived off his athleticism in college, but fails to make the right reads at the this level. Too many of the same mistakes - that's not good.

Mr. Laz
04-25-2005, 09:49 AM
i think the opposite...

imo Mitchell struggles taking on blockers and getting caught up in the wash. At outside linebacker he will be in more space and have a chance to use his speed more.

i think he'll be better on the outside than inside

ROYC75
04-25-2005, 09:57 AM
Not doubting you, but could you provide a link for this?

I wish I could, really . It was mentioned in the star last week or 2 weeks ago in an article. I don't recall the article name to retreive it.

It spoke of Mitchell and Fox both .

ROYC75
04-25-2005, 10:01 AM
i think the opposite...

imo Mitchell struggles taking on blockers and getting caught up in the wash. At outside linebacker he will be in more space and have a chance to use his speed more.

i think he'll be on the outside than inside

I agree completely. Mitchell gets caught up in the middle and takes bad angles in short traffic.

Last year when Mitchell went down, Beisel played middle and when Mitchell came back, he spent a few downs on the outside for a game or 2.

Again, most scouts believed his OLB play in college was better than his MLB play, according to pre draft reports.

I fully expect Gun to move him outside and using Scanlon or Boomer to backup the middle. But that's just me, it is my opinion.

Fire away !
:)

Ultra Peanut
04-25-2005, 10:03 AM
BUT HE SURVIVED BEING THROWN THROUGH A WINDSHIELD!

KAWIKA FEVA, MOTHER****ERS!

Frankie
04-25-2005, 10:08 AM
My take on Mitchel is this. He is going through Chiefs planet LJ Syndrum. Right now everyone here calls him a bust. "Get rid of his sorry ass!" "He's worth nothing in a trade. Just cut him." "Don't let the door hit you in the ass, Kawika." That is of course until he has his first good game, the next day of which he's the second coming of Clark Kent. I say look at his Chiefs career. He had no rookie season. His second year of development counts in the negative direction under GRob. His real rookie season was last year. Giving the fact that he had to be re-developed from negative, I'm very happy and optimistic about his improvement that showed up late in the season. He is in an upward progression under one of the better LB-makers in the league (Gunther). Give the guy some slack. I think he will be good soon.

ROYC75
04-25-2005, 10:09 AM
BUT HE SURVIVED BEING THROWN THROUGH A WINDSHIELD!

KAWIKA FEVA, MOTHER****ERS!

ROFL

I remember on draft day the planet was buzzing over that. I mentioned that it means he was not only lucky to live but was tough. It had very little to do with playing MLB well in the NFL.

Rain Man
04-25-2005, 10:12 AM
My take on Mitchel is this. He is going through Chiefs planet LJ Syndrum. Right now everyone here calls him a bust. "Get rid of his sorry ass!" "He's worth nothing in a trade. Just cut him." "Don't let the door hit you in the ass, Kawika." That is of course until he has his first good game, the next day of which he's the second coming of Clark Kent.

The problem has been that he has been the second coming of Clark Kent. We're hoping for a little more Super man.

redbrian
04-25-2005, 10:13 AM
My take on Mitchel is this. He is going through Chiefs planet LJ Syndrum. Right now everyone here calls him a bust. "Get rid of his sorry ass!" "He's worth nothing in a trade. Just cut him." "Don't let the door hit you in the ass, Kawika." That is of course until he has his first good game, the next day of which he's the second coming of Clark Kent. I say look at his Chiefs career. He had no rookie season. His second year of development counts in the negative direction under GRob. His real rookie season was last year. Giving the fact that he had to be re-developed from negative, I'm very happy and optimistic about his improvement that showed up late in the season. He is in an upward progression under one of the better LB-makers in the league (Gunther). Give the guy some slack. I think he will be good soon.

There is a huge flaw in your logic.

LJ has had very little time on the field, Mitchell has had a lot of time on the field and has pretty much shown he does not play the MLB spot very well.

Move him to the outside and see what he can do.

Ultra Peanut
04-25-2005, 10:14 AM
I'm dumb, though. I think Kawika and Sims could still turn out to be players.

Mr. Laz
04-25-2005, 10:18 AM
i would think our tentative starting lineup at linebacker would be:

WLB - Mitchell
MLB - Bell
SSLB - Johnson

injuries being the main issue

if barber or fujita gets healthy they will probably push Mitchell from the lineup.

WLB - Barber
MLB - Bell
SSLB - Johnson

or

WLB - Johnson
MLB - Bell
SSLB - Fujita

on the outside chance that one of our middle linebackers really steps up, i still think Mitchell is the first to go

WLB - Johnson
MLB - scanlon/grigsby
SSLB - Bell

ROYC75
04-25-2005, 10:23 AM

I wouldn't classify that just yet, there is still time for this year to step up !
:hmmm:

philfree
04-25-2005, 10:29 AM

LJ has had very little time on the field, Mitchell has had a lot of time on the field and has pretty much shown he does not play the MLB spot very well.
Move him to the outside and see what he can do.

I guess you'll have to define alot. He's only extended playing time was the last 8 to 10 games of the season.(He lead the Chiefs in tackles during that span) Before that he had been injured to much to really have a chance and then going to totally different defensive schemes from his first year to his second couldn't have helped. The verdict is still a long way from being in on Mitchell IMO. If he stays healthy I think he will start to really pick up his game this year. Hopefuuly all of our LBs make it hard for Gun to figure out where to play who cause they all do so well.

TRR
04-25-2005, 10:37 AM
I wonder what Mitchell scored on his Wunderlic test. He seems to really struggle with the X's and O's of the game. I don't know how many times I have seen KM take the wrong angle or vacate a spot where the pass is completed. Same thing happened to Quinton Caver in Philly. All talent, no comprehension of X's and O's.

There is no way Grigsby beats out Bell at MLB. Grigsby can't hold Bell's jock strap.

DJ, Bell, and Fujita will be KC's starters going into the season. (Barber could fit in when he is 100%)

Archie Bunker
04-25-2005, 10:39 AM
I think he can be better than Fujita. This article says it is between Kawika and Fox for Barber's spot.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/11480442.htm

Shawn Barber, if he's healthy, will start at the other outside spot. If he's not ready, Kawika Mitchell and Keyaron Fox are the leading candidates.

Archie is still on the Kawika Bandwagon

Johnson-Bell-Mitchell would work for me.

htismaqe
04-25-2005, 10:42 AM
I can't figure this kid out at all.

I think he lived off his athleticism in college, but fails to make the right reads at the this level. Too many of the same mistakes - that's not good.

I think it's because he could afford to read the play a little slowly in college, he could still run down the play with his speed.

In the NFL, guys are so much faster - by the time he reads the play, the ball carrier is already past him or the lineman is already in his grill.

htismaqe
04-25-2005, 10:42 AM

I think Sims will have a monster year. After all, he wants to get a fat new contract.

htismaqe
04-25-2005, 10:43 AM
I think he can be better than Fujita. This article says it is between Kawika and Fox for Barber's spot.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/11480442.htm

Shawn Barber, if he's healthy, will start at the other outside spot. If he's not ready, Kawika Mitchell and Keyaron Fox are the leading candidates.

Archie is still on the Kawika Bandwagon

Johnson-Bell-Mitchell would work for me.

I'd personally like to see Fox. He was pretty highly-rated coming in, similar to Kevin Burnett.

TRR
04-25-2005, 10:47 AM
There is no way Gunther Cunningham starts either Mitchell or Fox. (Unless they truly earn it). As of right now, our best 4 LB's are Bell, Fujita, Barber, and DJ. Gun wil start the 3 best LB's. The three best LB's are Bell, Fujita and DJ without a single doubt. (Taking into account Barber being injured).

htismaqe
04-25-2005, 11:13 AM
There is no way Gunther Cunningham starts either Mitchell or Fox. (Unless they truly earn it). As of right now, our best 4 LB's are Bell, Fujita, Barber, and DJ. Gun wil start the 3 best LB's. The three best LB's are Bell, Fujita and DJ without a single doubt. (Taking into account Barber being injured).

Well, Barber is injured, and right now, it wouldn't take much to beat out Fujita. Mitchell I think is a stretch, but none of us really knows what Fox can do.

Mr. Laz
04-25-2005, 11:15 AM

didnt gunther start Mitchell last year "without him truly earning it"?

Frankie
04-25-2005, 11:18 AM

I had thought about that too, before I posted. But I really think "field time" under GRob's system made him a worse player. I think Gun has had to help him to overcome that devolution before starting his evolution.

TRR
04-25-2005, 11:20 AM
didnt gunther start Mitchell last year "without him truly earning it"?

Gunther had no choice. Maslowski couldn't come back from an injury, and Beisel actually earned the spot until he got hurt. The only middle LB we had left was Mitchell.

I'm not sure why posters are down on Fujita. He's made a lot of plays in several bad defenses. I think he can continue to make solid plays in a better D.

Frankie
04-25-2005, 11:21 AM
By that reasoning, I also pleade dumb. Both of theses players lost their rookie season and then devolved under GRob's system. Sims was the best DT on practically everyone's draft board.

Coogs
04-25-2005, 11:23 AM
I'd personally like to see Fox. He was pretty highly-rated coming in, similar to Kevin Burnett.

:thumb:

He played on the right side during the pre-season games last year. Made some of the hardest hits of any of the LB's too. He looked way more athletic than any of the LB's we had, but probably just needed a year to learn the system. Personally, I think a LB corp of Fox, Bell, and Johnson would absolutely rock.

Coogs
04-25-2005, 11:26 AM
I wish I could, really . It was mentioned in the star last week or 2 weeks ago in an article. I don't recall the article name to retreive it.

It spoke of Mitchell and Fox both .

I can look it up. They have Chiefs articles from the last couple of weeks on the Chiefs page.

ROYC75
04-25-2005, 11:35 AM
I can look it up. They have Chiefs articles from the last couple of weeks on the Chiefs page.

Me thinking it was in one of Jason's articles, if this helps any.

ChiefsFanatic
04-25-2005, 11:53 AM

he's never played olb...

Well, he sure sucks pretty bad at it for doing it his whole football career. I would hate to see how much he sucks at a position he has never played.

ROYC75
04-25-2005, 11:58 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote:Originally Posted by go bo

he's never played olb...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That is not true, he started out in college playing the outside.

Coogs
04-25-2005, 12:00 PM
Me thinking it was in one of Jason's articles, if this helps any.

There were 3 articles the past three months at the Star where Fox was mentioned. Here are the three parts that deal with Fox...

1st...

The other linebackers are Kawika Mitchell, who was a disappointment as a starter last year; Keyaron Fox; and Rich Scanlon. Fox and Scanlon played little except on special teams as rookies last season.

2nd...

Their other recent first-day defensive draft picks (Sims, Mitchell, Battle, Siavii and linebacker Keyaron Fox) don't qualify as good young defensive players, though that could still change.

and 3rd...

The Chiefs had their chances in recent years to fortify their defense with good, young players. Linemen Eric Downing, Ryan Sims, Eddie Freeman and Junior Siavii; linebackers Kawika Mitchell and Keyaron Fox; and cornerback Julian Battle were drafted in the first three rounds in the last four years.

None has become what the Chiefs envisioned. Downing and Freeman are gone. The others, so far, have been part of the problem, not the solution.

“We've got some guys who haven't lived up to their physical attributes and have to play better,” Stiles said. “I'm not going to say these guys need to take their diapers off, but they need to jump in there and help us out. They need to look in the mirror very hard and ask themselves how long they want to be in this environment.”

While none give glowing reports on Fox, none say anything about his play either.

go bo
04-25-2005, 12:03 PM
Well, he sure sucks pretty bad at it for doing it his whole football career. I would hate to see how much he sucks at a position he has never played.well, it looks like i was wrong about kawika playing just mlb in college...

but i agree with you, that he's more likely to suck at olb than he does at mlb...

i'm still rooting for him, but i am VERY glad we got bell and dj...

go bo
04-25-2005, 12:07 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote:Originally Posted by go bo

he's never played olb...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That is not true, he started out in college playing the outside.apparently i was mistaken...

i still have little hope for him on the outside...

my guess is that they will keep him at mlb as the backup to bell...

tiptap
04-25-2005, 12:52 PM
3 layered defense. Line, LB's and Secondary. We had one of these cylinders working OK last year and that was the line. (Not great D-line but got better.) The secondary was weak and the LB were caught trying to help the secondary and not taking care of there responsibility at mid level coverage for both run and pass plays.
And this is with LB play that was average at best. I see people having more faith in others doing their job this season and that means people will have their minds focused more on their assignments in front of them and not behind them.

Coogs
04-25-2005, 12:58 PM
3 layered defense. Line, LB's and Secondary. We had one of these cylinders working OK last year and that was the line. (Not great D-line but got better.) The secondary was weak and the LB were caught trying to help the secondary and not taking care of there responsibility at mid level coverage for both run and pass plays.
And this is with LB play that was average at best. I see people having more faith in others doing their job this season and that means people will have their minds focused more on their assignments in front of them and not behind them.

It's kind of interesting that our D-line was the strength last season, and may be the weakest link on the defense this season. And I mean that in a good way, as the D-line should possible be even better this season than last.

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2005, 01:00 PM

I'm not convinced of that. His "confusion" seems more mental than physical....if it's a mental limitation, he can be coached to fix that.

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2005, 01:07 PM
i think the opposite...

i think he'll be better on the outside than inside

I'm with Laz on this one.... :clap:

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2005, 01:08 PM

Mark it down; a day that Frankie and I agree on somethin'. :p

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2005, 01:11 PM

Fox will need to really step it up; I think Mitchell has the edge....if only because of experience.

htismaqe
04-25-2005, 01:40 PM
Fox will need to really step it up; I think Mitchell has the edge....if only because of experience.

Fox can get the edge in TC...if only because he's BETTER. :D

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2005, 01:43 PM
Fox can get the edge in TC...if only because he's BETTER. :D

And I would be just FINE with that, if he earns it. ;)

Frankie
04-25-2005, 01:48 PM
Mark it down; a day that Frankie and I agree on somethin'. :p
I always knew you were smart. You had to be taught, by observing, how to use your smarts. :p

Frankie
04-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Yep.

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2005, 01:51 PM
I always knew you were smart. You had to be taught, by observing, how to use your smarts. :p

As long as we stay out of the DC forum, heh.

Frankie
04-25-2005, 01:54 PM
As long as we stay out of the DC forum, heh.
You'll see the light there too. Sooner or later. I have every confidence in you.