PDA

View Full Version : Are you happy with the Dustin Colquitt pick?

Saulbadguy
04-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Many are saying this was a reach...are you happy with it? If not, what or who would you rather have picked up?

redfan
04-25-2005, 11:28 AM
Yeah, baby! I always get a semi-chub when the Chiefs draft a kicker... :rolleyes:

But seriously folks, the guy seems to have the leg genes. Maybe he'll contibute this year.

KC Dan
04-25-2005, 11:29 AM
As long as he is the staring punter. I will be happy. A starter from a 3rd/4th round pick is great. Especially someone who can positively effect field position.

Lzen
04-25-2005, 11:33 AM
I don't know enough about him yet. Give me time to read up on him and I'll let ya know. From everything they've (CP and DV) said about him, it sounds like a good pick. Especially if he makes our punting game good and most importantly, consistent.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 11:36 AM
If he wins the punting job, he was worth it. I'll take a contributer over a project in the very late third round, especially in a year where we feel like we are in the last year of our "window."

It could have been a reach for some other teams, but punter is a major need for the Chiefs and we are trying to win this year, so taking a starter in the third round is better than taking a project.

I like the pick.

Lzen
04-25-2005, 11:38 AM
Here's an excerpt I found from the Vols site on this kid before his senior season.

Dustin Farr Colquitt ... Consensus All-America honors last year after being named first-team by Associated Press, Football Writers, The Sporting News and Walter Camp ... Selected Ray Guy Award finalist for second consecutive year ... Son of Craig Colquitt and cousin of Jimmy Colquitt -- both former Vol punters ... Joined on squad this season by brother Britton ... Earned All-SEC honors from league coaches (unanimous) and Associated Press ... Led SEC last year and sixth nationally with 45.3-yard punting average that is second-best in school history ... Also stands second on UT career punting list with 43.1-yard average that trails only his cousin, Jimmy (43.9), and is just ahead of his father, Craig (42.5) ... Kicks left-footed ... Coach Michael’s evaluation: "Dustin made solid strides at getting the ball off quicker throughout the spring. I expect him to have another outstanding season this year." ... Born: May 6, 1982.

Lzen
04-25-2005, 11:41 AM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerprofiles/p/dustincolquitt.html

Strengths: A master at pinning opponents inside the twenty...Gets excellent hang time...Very strong leg...Can pooch punt or kick the ball for distance...Good size and solid athletic ability for the position...Prolific college player.

Weaknesses: A little slow and may need to speed up his motion once in the pros...Can be a little more consistent...Has had a couple of punts blocked.

Notes: A weapon in the battle for field position...One of the best punters to come along in a while and a legitimate first day prospect...Father and brother were also punters for the Vols.

HemiEd
04-25-2005, 11:46 AM
Wonderful choice! I think getting the famed Chiefs kicking game back in order is long overdue.

Mr. Laz
04-25-2005, 11:47 AM
a little high for a punter, but :shrug:

if he works out it's worth it

if we hadn't had to give up the extra 3rd round pick for Welbourn this year then Colquitt would of been used with a second 3rd round pick and it wouldn't of been an issue at all.

Frankie
04-25-2005, 11:48 AM
Many are saying this was a reach...are you happy with it? If not, what or who would you rather have picked up?
Not a reach for an early 4th rounder, which is what the pick really was.

Braincase
If he's halfway between Cheek and Lechler, it's a good pick.

Scaga
I've met Gaz...
This guy is no Gaz...
He's got talent :p

Good pick.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 11:49 AM
If Tynes can become a little more consistent and this kid is as good as they say he can be, we could have the Chiefs' kicking game tied down for the next 10+ years.

Bootlegged
04-25-2005, 11:53 AM
Not at all. Antonio Perkins, Fred Gibson would've been nice at that slot. Even Kyle Orton. If he was guaranteed to be a success for 10 years, then maybe. Just not a fan of drafting a punter.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 12:15 PM
Not at all. Antonio Perkins, Fred Gibson would've been nice at that slot. Even Kyle Orton. If he was guaranteed to be a success for 10 years, then maybe. Just not a fan of drafting a punter.

No one is guaranteed to be a success for 10 years. But, I gotta think (and I have no evidence to back this up, so I could be wrong) that a punter has a better chance of being a 10 year success that most other positions...

redbrian
04-25-2005, 12:19 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerprofiles/p/dustincolquitt.html

Strengths: A master at pinning opponents inside the twenty...Gets excellent hang time...Very strong leg...Can pooch punt or kick the ball for distance...Good size and solid athletic ability for the position...Prolific college player.

Weaknesses: A little slow and may need to speed up his motion once in the pros...Can be a little more consistent...Has had a couple of punts blocked.

Notes: A weapon in the battle for field position...One of the best punters to come along in a while and a legitimate first day prospect...Father and brother were also punters for the Vols.

Seems to be some dispute over his weakness, I heard on the radio this morning that he had a quick release, which would help him in the pro's.

The kid will be the starting punter for a lot of years (including this year), and we won't worry about losing any games due to the kicker, in fact I think he will help win a few by pinning the opp. inside the 20.

Mike Grose
04-25-2005, 12:25 PM
I was underwhelmed at the initial news.

Looking at who was available, there aren't many other potential 1st year starters available at that draft selection. We'll see what happens.

htismaqe
04-25-2005, 12:30 PM

I'd draft 10 of this guy before I drafted one Kyle Orton.

Coogs
04-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Looks like we have a landslide winner! :thumb:

patteeu
04-25-2005, 12:39 PM
Yeah, baby! I always get a semi-chub when the Chiefs draft a kicker... :rolleyes:

But seriously folks, the guy seems to have the leg genes. Maybe he'll contibute this year.

Serious genes. I just heard on the radio this morning that his Dad (a former NFL punter for the Steelers I think) is 3rd all-time in punting for the University of Tennessee (UTenn). He is 2nd all-time at UTenn and his cousin is the 1st all-time there. I think they also said that his brother is expected to be UTenn's punter next year.

*edit* Apologies to Lzen for the repeat. */edit*

patteeu
04-25-2005, 12:41 PM
a little high for a punter, but :shrug:

Yes, but last year they thought they could get Nate Kaeding one round later and then he was gone.

ChiefsCountry
04-25-2005, 12:42 PM
I was an idiot last week for saying the Chiefs would draft Colquitt, now I look smart.

redbrian
04-25-2005, 12:42 PM
Serious genes. I just heard on the radio this morning that his Dad (a former NFL punter for the Steelers I think) is 3rd all-time in punting for the University of Tennessee (UTenn). He is 2nd all-time at UTenn and his cousin is the 1st all-time there. I think they also said that his brother is expected to be UTenn's punter next year.

Get these guys over to Wash U and see if they can locate that punter gene pronto.

Nzoner
04-25-2005, 12:54 PM

*edit* Apologies to Lzen for the repeat. */edit*

The report also said his dad has 3 Superbowl rings with the Steelers,I know that doesn't mean anything but damn the old like father like son would be a good story.

I'm okay with the pick,the idea that a lefty kicker puts a different spin on the ball which makes it more difficult to catch for the returner is interesting as well.

Kyle401
04-25-2005, 01:03 PM
G - Nick Kaczur
RB- Maurice Clarett
FS - Sean Considine
CB - Antonio Perkins
CB - Travis Daniels
OT - Willis Ray
QB - Kyle Orton
G - Dan Buenning
FS - Vincent Fuller
RB - Marion Barber
RB - Brandon Jacobs
G - Elton Brown
RB - Ciatrick Fason
OT - David Stewart
WR - Jerome Mathis
FS - Marviel Underwood

These 16 players were taken between Colquitt and our next pick (Thorpe). Basically these are the only players which the decision to select Colquitt affects. Gibson, for instance, could have been taken in the 4th instead of Thorpe.

Of the above group, Elton Brown is the player I would most like to see in KC red (Antonio Perkins would have been nice as well). However, I think taking Colquitt in the 3rd was an adequate way to address a definite need. Sure I would have liked to have him in the 4th and would have loved to get him in the 5th, but the way things worked out I don't think that we reached too badly.

Kyle401
04-25-2005, 01:06 PM
I was an idiot last week for saying the Chiefs would draft Colquitt, now I look smart.

So would you rather be known as a genius or a genious? :)

Bootlegged
04-25-2005, 02:31 PM
I'd draft 10 of this guy before I drafted one Kyle Orton.

I wouldn't. 4th round is a perfect round to take a flier on a QB prospect. Projecting talent into the NFL is a crap shoot, but I think the guy will be at least a solid backup. More importantly, I believe we could have picked up a starting nickel back or 3 WR with this pick.

HemiEd
04-25-2005, 03:38 PM
Yes, but last year they thought they could get Nate Kaeding one round later and then he was gone.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner! Marty knew we were going to draft Kaeding last year and took him ahead of us. At least we learned our lesson. :)

htismaqe
04-25-2005, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't. 4th round is a perfect round to take a flier on a QB prospect. Projecting talent into the NFL is a crap shoot, but I think the guy will be at least a solid backup. More importantly, I believe we could have picked up a starting nickel back or 3 WR with this pick.

Watched Orton all through High School and college. I have no problem with wanting a DB or WR instead of the punter.

But picking Orton ANYWHERE is a waste of a perfectly good pick.

Thig Lyfe
04-25-2005, 04:21 PM
Great pick IMO. How many times in the past few seasons has the kicking game killed us? Colquitt will have the skill to pin teams back and let the revamped D do the rest.

rocks
04-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Our kicking game has been in the Crapper for how many years? Gotta try something, IMO

Chieficus
04-25-2005, 05:17 PM
Certainly while Gaz does have a better 40 time, I like the pick...

I mean, come on, given recent history: it's either draft a kid to punt or cycle through about 3 of 'em in the year that got cut from other teams...

tk13
04-25-2005, 05:27 PM
I usually don't like the idea of spending first day picks on kickers, but if he works out I can't complain. I think a big kicker (pun intended) for me is that his whole family seems to have punting in their genes, he seems bred from success. Looking at his interview after being picked, he seems very smart, a student of the kicking game. He's not just some guy who happens to be able to kick the ball far. I loved his analogy of how he sees punting like swinging a golf club and that's how he approaches each "shot".

Bootlegged
09-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Watched Orton all through High School and college. I have no problem with wanting a DB or WR instead of the punter.

But picking Orton ANYWHERE is a waste of a perfectly good pick.

BUMP ROFL

Skip Towne
09-18-2005, 12:35 PM
As long as he is the staring punter. I will be happy. A starter from a 3rd/4th round pick is great. Especially someone who can positively effect field position.
Starting punter? Who is the 2nd team punter?

chefsos
09-18-2005, 12:59 PM
BUMP ROFL
Exhuming this thread from April in order to tweak htis is just evil. :)

Starting punter? Who is the 2nd team punter?

See first quote.