PDA

View Full Version : Well Denverchief could have been dead ...

DenverChief
04-25-2005, 08:30 PM
right about now. I fell asleep last night on the couch and woke up with the worst headache this morning, it felt like a hangover in the 10th degree but I hadn't touched a drop of alcohol. I spent the rest of the day in and out of conciousness on the couch. about 5 pm I finally mustered the energy to go talk to my roommates whom hadn't left their rooms all day either. Well come to find out they have headaches too and are feeling sluggish as well. I decided I had better check the furnace and sure enough the pilot light had gone out and was spewing gas....it's been about an hour since the repair guy has been workin on the furnace and I feel much better now...I'm just kinda freaked out that I had been breathing in all that gas....

jcroft
04-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Wow, that's scary. Glad you're okay.

Crush
04-25-2005, 08:32 PM
That's scary. I'm glad that you're okay.

teedubya
04-25-2005, 08:33 PM
Damn, thats scary... too bad you are okay.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 08:36 PM
Damn, thats scary... too bad you are okay.

ROFL

You irritable today? Take your meds? :D

Phobia
04-25-2005, 08:36 PM
If that doesn't kill you, nothing will. You should take up smoking.

DenverChief
04-25-2005, 08:38 PM
If that doesn't kill you, nothing will. You should take up smoking.

I'm thinking the thing that saved us is that I run my DTV for the living room thru the sliding glass door and my roommates run thier cables thru their windows so they are always cracked open...otherwise I might have perished

Pants
04-25-2005, 08:40 PM
Holy shit! Monoxide poisoning is a bitch. Didn't you guys smell the gas? Glad you're OK. Did any of the roommates die?

DenverChief
04-25-2005, 08:43 PM
Holy shit! Monoxide poisoning is a bitch. Didn't you guys smell the gas? Glad you're OK. Did any of the roommates die?

Actually I could smell it when I opened the door to the furnace closet...it was pretty powerful...and no no one died :)

Phobia
04-25-2005, 08:45 PM
Actually I could smell it when I opened the door to the furnace closet...it was pretty powerful...and no no one died :)

If your roommate dies and you violate him, does anybody care - like except for the mortician of course.

Skip Towne
04-25-2005, 08:48 PM
You, sir have a faulty thermocouple. They operate on millivolts and require a steady flame (the pilot) to keep the gas valve open. If the pilot was out and the valve was still delivering gas, it is either the thermocouple or the valve. Both are cheaper than human life.

chop
04-25-2005, 08:48 PM
I told you guys you should have put a magazine in the toaster but you never listen to me. No you said...just blow out the pilot light and it'll look like an accident. Now maybe you'll listen to me. :harumph:

Pants
04-25-2005, 08:50 PM
LOL, group suicide didn't work out. There's always next time, DC.

Inspector

CO2 is a by product of the gas burning.

The gas could be deadly, but it would need to be burned to create carbon monoxide.

Either way, good thing all turned out OK.

Iowanian
Thats a likely excuse for the ether taste in their mouths. I'm sure you slipped the repair man a Thomas Jefferson to have him say that a sore rectum was a sure sign of a pilot light being out?!....

You're lucky it was just a light out.......I don't know that to be deadly..............CO, now that would have darwin'd you all.

Rain Man
04-25-2005, 08:51 PM
Yikes. I'm never watching the game at your place again.

DenverChief
04-25-2005, 08:58 PM
Yikes. I'm never watching the game at your place again.:LOL: thats the second time the furnace has needed to be repaired huh?

DenverChief
04-25-2005, 09:01 PM
Thats a likely excuse for the ether taste in their mouths. I'm sure you slipped the repair man a Thomas Jefferson to have him say that a sore rectum was a sure sign of a pilot light being out?!....

You're lucky it was just a light out.......I don't know that to be deadly..............CO, now that would have darwin'd you all.

I'm pretty sure the gas displacing all of the oxygen would have killed us while we were sleeping...like I said fortunatly I have to run my DTV cables thru the door and windows so it leaves a 1/4'' crack and creates a draft in the apartment...

DenverChief
04-25-2005, 09:02 PM
You, sir have a faulty thermocouple. They operate on millivolts and require a steady flame (the pilot) to keep the gas valve open. If the pilot was out and the valve was still delivering gas, it is either the thermocouple or the valve. Both are cheaper than human life. the repair guys are replacing the pilot assembly

Pants
04-25-2005, 09:08 PM

The gas could be deadly, but it would need to be burned to create carbon monoxide.

Either way, good thing all turned out OK.

Umm, no. CO2 is Carbon DIoxide. Carbon moxoide (CO) is what the furnaces use and it's deadly and has no smell (naturally).

Frankie
04-25-2005, 09:16 PM
I died once years ago from the same furnace malfunction.

Iowanian
04-25-2005, 09:17 PM
furnaces don't "use" CO..metro....Its a biproduct of the burning of natural gas.......the same stuff also comes out of the exhaust of your car.

I had 2 friends(guy and gal) die in HS from parking in a garage in the winter.

Pants
04-25-2005, 09:18 PM
furnaces don't "use" CO..metro....Its a biproduct of the burning of natural gas.......the same stuff also comes out of the exhaust of your car.

I had 2 friends(guy and gal) die in HS from parking in a garage in the winter.

Either way, it's not CO2 that kills. And sorry about your friends.

Rain Man
04-25-2005, 09:24 PM
I died once years ago from the same furnace malfunction.

They really ought to fix that furnace.

Frankie
04-25-2005, 09:28 PM
They really ought to fix that furnace.
No silly, it was my own furnace that I died from.

Iowanian
04-25-2005, 09:29 PM
Its unfortunate that EMTs weren't able to revive your sense of humor.

Frankie
04-25-2005, 09:35 PM
Its unfortunate that EMTs weren't able to revive your sense of humor.
They could only revive about 50%. Can you imagine how hilarious I'd be if they had saved all of it?

Iowanian
04-25-2005, 09:38 PM
Doctor! Code Blue.........

Flat line...........................

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Frankie
04-25-2005, 09:41 PM
Doctor! Code Blue.........

Flat line...........................

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
OK, this is kinda funny.

jspchief
04-25-2005, 09:42 PM

Either way, good thing all turned out OK.This is a good point (other than being wrong about the CO2 part).

The only affects a doused pilot light should have on you is the smell of rotten eggs and a bad reaction to sparks. Leaking natural gas shouldn't make you groggy (AFAIK).

You may want to make sure there's not something else. A carbon monoxide detector is a pretty small price to pay for not being dead.

badgirl
04-25-2005, 09:42 PM
Glad your ok, same kinda thing happened to me and the kids few years back, there was a gas valvue that had been capped off at the top of their bed, we had headaches, and the kids would go into a deeper sleep than usual, it was the cap had come off, luckily the windows stayed opened all day, but closed at night, but it was still affecting us in a bad way.

Iowanian
04-25-2005, 09:43 PM
_____________________/\__/\/\____/\

Rausch
04-25-2005, 09:52 PM
Umm, no. CO2 is Carbon DIoxide. Carbon moxoide (CO) is what the furnaces use and it's deadly and has no smell (naturally).

It normally doesn't, but I thought they put some type of chemical in there so it does have a smell. Or they're going to, I don't remember...

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2005, 09:56 PM
Glad you are okay, Jason. :thumb:

cdcox
04-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Furnaces use methane or natural gas for fuel. The chief danger here is explosion. Natural gas is odorless, but they add a rotten egg chemical to it to alert you to the danger of explosion.

Whenever you have combustion, you will produce mostly carbon dioxide (CO2) but also some carbon monoxide (CO). Carbon monoxide is particularly dangerous because it is toxic at much lower levels than CO2 . DC was in no danger from either of these if his funace was out, because they are not produced except from combustion.

DC, if your pilot light goes out frequently, it could be a sign of backdraft which does lead to eleveated levels of CO in your residence.

Any gas, methane, CO2, or even N2 can be dangerous if the concentration is high enough, because it prevents you from getting O2.

If you have a gas furnance, you should get a CO and methane detector to protect your self from these risks.

DenverChief
04-25-2005, 11:31 PM
Any gas, methane, CO2, or even N2 can be dangerous if the concentration is high enough, because it prevents you from getting O2.

exactly why I'm sure I was feeling like sh!t

Pezman
04-26-2005, 12:04 AM
Wow! Feel fortunate that you are ok!

Did you or your roomies suffer any effects like gastric cramps or numbness? Best to be sure you get plenty of fluids and fresh air in you to help your capalaries (sp) open up and remove the leftover particles.

Phobia
04-26-2005, 12:08 AM

Did you or your roomies suffer any effects like gastric cramps or numbness? Best to be sure you get plenty of fluids and fresh air in you to help your capalaries (sp) open up and remove the leftover particles.

Is this thread still about a gas leak or is Pez asking questions and providing advice about the gay? Gastric cramps? Aren't you quite the brute?

DenverChief
04-26-2005, 12:08 AM

nope we all just had horrible headaches and were pretty sluggish....didn't want to get out of bed and the like...one of them threw up thats when I started to really get the hint that something was wrong

Phobia
04-26-2005, 12:10 AM
one of them threw up thats when I started to really get the hint that something was wrong

Had you eaten asparagus or something?

DenverChief
04-26-2005, 12:11 AM
Had you eaten asparagus or something?

:spock:?

Pezman
04-26-2005, 12:31 AM
Is this thread still about a gas leak or is Pez asking questions and providing advice about the gay? Gastric cramps? Aren't you quite the brute?

Wait, who's gay? The gas? ROFL!

Denverchief, if you suffer any lingering effects, make sure you get yourself to the doc asap and document it just in case...

Simplex3
04-26-2005, 01:47 AM
Wait, who's gay? The gas? ROFL!

Denverchief, if you suffer any lingering effects, make sure you get yourself to the doc asap and document it just in case...
Maybe DC should go back to the rainbow avatar, it offered clues for new guys...

Oh, and I'm glad to hear you're Ok. As for your room mates, f**k them. Couldn't care less. :harumph:

:)

DenverChief
04-26-2005, 01:50 AM
. As for your room mates, f**k them. Couldn't care less. :harumph:

:)

ROFL yeah they are donkeys fans

Eleazar
04-26-2005, 04:08 AM
Can you watch my neighbor's cat for a few days?

DenverChief
04-26-2005, 11:05 AM
Can you watch my neighbor's cat for a few days?

ROFL

My roommate had to call em back again this AM...I slept with my window open last night....but his room is also closest to the furnace closet....he said he woke up with the headache again and checked the furnace and once agian the pilot light was out...

Iowanian
04-26-2005, 11:12 AM
I'll bet you have a bird nest in the furnace exhaust, or a bad thermocoupler on the furnace.

Pilot lights don't just "go out" 2 days in a row.

DenverChief
04-26-2005, 11:20 AM
I'll bet you have a bird nest in the furnace exhaust, or a bad thermocoupler on the furnace.

Pilot lights don't just "go out" 2 days in a row.

Well last night the repair guy said the line that feeds the pilot assembly had a hole the size of the end of a ball point pen in it so the gas wasn't getting to it...I have no idea what the excuse was this morning but the guy said we were "rock solid" after about half an hour of tinkering with it

Iowanian
04-26-2005, 11:21 AM
Rock solid?!

Were you diggin on the plummer crack?

Glad he got it fixed.

Pennywise
04-26-2005, 11:22 AM
I have no idea what the excuse was this morning but the guy said we were "rock solid" after about half an hour of tinkering with it

Did yall catch a glimpse of his crack while he was squatting down?

Pennywise
04-26-2005, 11:23 AM
Rock solid?!

Glad he got it fixed.

You bastard! I was a minute late.

DenverChief
04-26-2005, 11:32 AM
Rock solid?!

Glad he got it fixed.

ROFL

yea me too no more gas headaches please

Fire Me Boy!
04-26-2005, 11:38 AM
What doesn't kill us makes us higher.... er.... stronger. Yeah, stronger.