PDA

View Full Version : So I watched the Craphonso Thorpe highlights and

DenverChief
04-25-2005, 11:58 PM
One positive I can see is that he is an outstanding down field blocker, he takes his guy on and just mauls him. One negative that I see (and I think can be coached out of him) is the tendancy to go back 3-4 yards in an attempt to gain more yards and from what I recall he lost those yards and never gained them back (i.e. catches a 10 yd pass then goes back 3-4 yards to avoid the defender and gets tackled anyway). Now it shows that he is trying hard but sometimes just taking what the D gives is the best course of action....anyone else notice these things?

DenverChief
04-26-2005, 12:02 AM
I can't notice anything past his first name. ROFL

KC Margarita Man
04-26-2005, 05:25 AM
The thing I noticed from the video is he seems to get separation and has good hands, but I didn't see him break any tackles. A lot of guys brought him down one-on-one. He won't be a big yards after catch guy unless he puts on more weight in the next couple years. Love his speed and hands. I think he starts the season on the PS though.

htismaqe
04-26-2005, 05:44 AM
The thing I noticed from the video is he seems to get separation and has good hands, but I didn't see him break any tackles. A lot of guys brought him down one-on-one. He won't be a big yards after catch guy unless he puts on more weight in the next couple years. Love his speed and hands. I think he starts the season on the PS though.

Our WR's don't break tackles now. Seriously, when's the last time you saw Kennison or Morton break one? Never.

Our offense is all about timing and separation. If he can get separation and has good hands, that's really all he needs.

DaWolf
04-26-2005, 05:56 AM
I watched the video and thought to myself, "Hey, that's Crap blocking right there."

No, seriously I thought a couple of things: Florida State needs to stop these little 3 yard passes with the reciever standing at the line of scrimmage. And like was mentioned earlier, I thought Thorpe went down way too easily once a defender got there. However, he can catch the ball and he can stretch a field. So we'll see...

Lbedrock1
04-26-2005, 06:22 AM
Our WR's don't break tackles now. Seriously, when's the last time you saw Kennison or Morton break one? Never.

Our offense is all about timing and separation. If he can get separation and has good hands, that's really all he needs.
Thats not true I have last years game against Oakland where kennison broke tackles to score a TD. So never is the wrong word to use.

Skip Towne
04-26-2005, 06:28 AM
Gonzo doesn't break tackles either but it's not that big a deal.

DaWolf
04-26-2005, 06:29 AM
He has a point though in that this offense doesn't really call for recievers who break tackles, not in St Louis and not here, thus the perception that the recievers are "soft." It's more of a catch it while on the run and keep going offense for recievers, in that the reciever and the QB need to both anticipate where the ball is going to be so that the reciever and ball are in the same spot at the same time. On the film I saw a lot of stop and turn and wait for the pass, which isn't really what we do, so Thorpe is gonna have to spend a lot of time working on that and picking up the offense and getting on the same page as Green. It's why Samie Parker didn't step right in, it takes time. And Thorpe needs to learn how to get off the line if pressed, otherwise that'll cause huge issues...

htismaqe
04-26-2005, 06:39 AM
Thats not true I have last years game against Oakland where kennison broke tackles to score a TD. So never is the wrong word to use.

OK, never is an awfully strong word. I guess I should have said "one in a million". :rolleyes: :D

Seriously, Randy Moss doesn't break tackles. Isaac Bruce doesn't break tackles. Our offense doesn't require it. It requires being at the right place at the right time so that you don't HAVE to break tackles.

jAZ
04-26-2005, 08:27 AM
I can't notice anything past his first name.
The moment we drafted him, 1000's of Chiefs across the country started brainstorming on the best way to include his name in their Fantasy Football team name.

KevB
04-26-2005, 08:29 AM
OK, never is an awfully strong word. I guess I should have said "one in a million". :rolleyes: :D

Seriously, Randy Moss doesn't break tackles. Isaac Bruce doesn't break tackles. Our offense doesn't require it. It requires being at the right place at the right time so that you don't HAVE to break tackles.

Bruce and Holt not only don't break tackles...they dive on the ground as soon as possible.

dtebbe
04-26-2005, 08:32 AM

No, he usually just carries 3 guys for the extra 10 yards.

DT

whoman69
04-26-2005, 08:36 AM
Bruce and Holt not only don't break tackles...they dive on the ground as soon as possible.
Most receivers don't break tackles. They try to avoid tackles in the first place. Those who try to break tackles are the ones who fumble (Eddie Kennison not withstanding).

nascher
04-26-2005, 09:01 AM
starting the Season on PS won't work because about every NFL will sign him to his 53 Man Roster.
He is way to talented to think about keeping him on PS.

ct
04-26-2005, 09:07 AM
starting the Season on PS won't work because about every NFL will sign him to his 53 Man Roster.
He is way to talented to think about keeping him on PS.

Agree there, he'll be on the roster, but unless he can show something on STs, he'll be a game day inactive for awhile, giving Crymeil something more to whine about.

R&GHomer
04-26-2005, 09:14 AM

No, you don’t see Gonzo break many tackles. However, he does have a tendency to drag defenders along with him.

yoswif
04-26-2005, 09:20 AM
I really like his ability to go after deep throws. Chuck it up to 'Cro' a couple times a game won't hurt Trent's stats a bit.

whtgldwldr
04-26-2005, 10:20 AM
I believe that in about three years, every football fan in america will know the phrase... "You play like Crap!" and it will be a compliment.

DeepSouth
04-26-2005, 10:33 AM
As long as he can hold onto the football when he gets to the ten and there is no one between him and the goal line I'll be happy.

jarjar
04-26-2005, 10:44 AM

What? You mean carrying the defender 3 or 4 more yards down the field doesn't count?