PDA

View Full Version : Boomer Grigsby's combine workout numbers

B_Ambuehl
04-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Just to put things in perspective. Out of 58 middle linebacker prospects listed on NFL draft scout here's how Boomer ranked in the following categories at the combine:

1st in 10 yard dash
1st in 20 yard dash
2nd in 40 yard dash
1st in vertical jump
3rd in 225 bench reps (32 reps)
1st in cone drill
2nd in the Wonderlinc

He also had more tackles then any other MLB in his college career.

If someone told you 3 months ago you could have all that for a 5th round pick what would you say??

jcroft
04-26-2005, 11:48 AM
If someone posted that three months ago, it would have been very interesting.

If someone posted it today I would say to that person, "Look, we ALL love the Boomer pick. We are excited about this guy. We're stoked. We don't really need more threads to convince us -- we're already convinced."

Mr. Laz
04-26-2005, 11:49 AM
1st in cone drill

2nd in the Wonderlinc
:hmmm: i really like that he is 1st in the cone drill ... good change of direction and quickness.

good wonderlic ... i hope he's smart, ya need a brain to call the defensive plays at middle linebacker.

:clap:

i REALLY,REALLY hope he's good enough to start at middle linebacker so we can slide Bell to the SSOLB.

Hammock Parties
04-26-2005, 11:51 AM
Adios Scanlon.

jcroft
04-26-2005, 11:52 AM
i REALLY,REALLY hope he's good enough to start at middle linebacker so we can slide Bell to the SSOLB.

That would be awesome, and I'll be hoping for that, too, but I do think it's a bit unrealistic for any rookie, especially at MLB. Even if he has all the physical tools necessary, MLB is supposed to be the quarterback of the defense. I'm just not sure any rookie can pick up the playbook that well that quickly and earn the respect of his older teammates that quickly.

But I hope he can!

eazyb81
04-26-2005, 11:52 AM
Why do you want Bell to play outside? The only knock on him is his coverage ability, Pitt even had to go so far as to take him out on 3rd downs because his coverage skills were weak. I think it would be much better to have Bell in the middle with DJ and the next best coverage LB out there, so Bell can get in the backfield and rush the passer.

ROYC75
04-26-2005, 11:53 AM
Those are some very impressive #'s ........ Very
Impressive.

What I would like to know is , Why did he not get any attention from other teams and fell that far with impressive #'s .

Time will tell when he gets on the field.

But very impressive so far.

Nightfyre
04-26-2005, 11:55 AM
Uh, fwiw, if he runs a 4.47 we could see him in the olb position too.

Hammock Parties
04-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Those are some very impressive #'s ........ Very
Impressive.

What I would like to know is , Why did he not get any attention from other teams and fell that far with impressive #'s .

Time will tell when he gets on the field.

But very impressive so far.

For the same reason that Vincent Jackson slid down to a late round pick...he plays at a small school.

Clint in Wichita
04-26-2005, 11:59 AM
Brian Shay put up amazing numbers in division 2 also.

ROYC75
04-26-2005, 11:59 AM
Uh, fwiw, if he runs a 4.47 we could see him in the olb position too.

That is a very real option as well, from what I read, he can play the OLB.

B_Ambuehl
04-26-2005, 12:02 PM

Truthfully a lot of scouts are idiots. They don't like small school players unless they have perfect physical proportions. If he was 1.5 inches taller things would've been much different. I think there were a lot of teams trying to steal this guy though.

Mr. Laz
04-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Why do you want Bell to play outside? The only knock on him is his coverage ability, Pitt even had to go so far as to take him out on 3rd downs because his coverage skills were weak. I think it would be much better to have Bell in the middle with DJ and the next best coverage LB out there, so Bell can get in the backfield and rush the passer.
in our defense the middle linebacker does get into coverage.

remember biesel and Maz trying to catch a certain tightend down the middle. :cuss:

a middle linebackers don't blitz that much unless they are coming right up the middle with a safety.

moving Bell to the outside will allow him to blitz more ... that's why i want him out there.

Mr. Laz
04-26-2005, 12:05 PM
buzzkill bastige :cuss:

but unlike shay, grigsby also has the physical numbers to play at a higher level.

shay had talent but was smallish and slower

JimNasium
04-26-2005, 12:06 PM
Brian Shay put up amazing numbers in division 2 also.Please don't attempt to interject logic into the delusional fantasy and mental masterbation surrounding all things Grigsby.

Hammock Parties
04-26-2005, 12:06 PM
remember biesel and Maz trying to catch a certain tightend down the middle. :cuss:

Are you talking about Shannon Sharpe? That was GREG ROBINSON'S defense.

eazyb81
04-26-2005, 12:08 PM
in our defense the middle linebacker does get into coverage.

a middle linebackers don't blitz that much unless they are coming right up the middle with a safety.

moving Bell to the outside will allow him to blitz more ... that's why i want him out there.

True, but I think Bell could blitz just as much if we was in the middle. But I think Bell will be the best run stuffing MLB we have, so that's why I think he should be in the middle. I think Gun can come up with intricate blitz schemes for each LB position to get in the backfield, so I think Bell will be able to rush the passer a lot more then our MLBs did last year.

Frosty
04-26-2005, 12:09 PM
Are you talking about Shannon Sharpe? That was GREG ROBINSON'S defense.

I do remember Mitchell running downfield with a receiver and having the ball bounce off the middle of his back, so apparently the MLB is in coverage sometimes under Gunther's scheme.

Idahored
04-26-2005, 12:10 PM
It would be nice to have two solid MLBs so they can rotate a little. Keeps them fresher for the kill!

Hammock Parties
04-26-2005, 12:10 PM
I do remember Mitchell running downfield with a receiver and having the ball bounce off the middle of his back, so apparently the MLB is in coverage sometimes under Gunther's scheme.

I'm sure...but Laz's example was incorrect.

I think Gunther will choose the best man for the job. Let Bell blitz while DJ drops into coverage.

jcroft
04-26-2005, 12:16 PM
You guys who are saying the words "division two" best watch your back. DaneMcCloud will come in here and rip you all a new asshole, correcting you in the process (it's division I-AA).

He did that to me, and I didn't even say division two -- he just thought I did.

JimNasium
04-26-2005, 12:22 PM
You guys who are saying the words "division two" best watch your back. DaneMcCloud will come in here and rip you all a new asshole, correcting you in the process (it's division I-AA).

He did that to me, and I didn't even say division two -- he just thought I did.
I'm sure that you deserve an asshole ripping for some other transgression. :p

jcroft
04-26-2005, 12:25 PM
I'd be careful about giving jcroft an asshole ripping. Rumor is he might like it.

Only from you, big boy. ;)

beer bacon
04-26-2005, 12:27 PM
It is very unrealistic to want him to be starting MLB this year. First off, I am just hoping he can be an impact special teams guy. If he could push Scanlon off the MLB depth chart by the beginning of the year, and replace Mitchell as the backup MLB at some point in the year, then I would be ecstatic. That would go far beyond any expectations I would have for a fifth round pick.

Skip Towne
04-26-2005, 12:33 PM
Has anybody got Rich Scanlon's combine numbers? I'll bet they're better than Boomer's.

jcroft
04-26-2005, 12:35 PM
You know I'm not the guy in my avatar, right?

ROFL ROFL

Nice one.

Thig Lyfe
04-26-2005, 12:42 PM
Oh man, Boomer is going to own. I would not be suprised if he beats out Kawika.

Nightfyre
04-26-2005, 12:44 PM
Has anybody got Rich Scanlon's combine numbers? I'll bet they're better than Boomer's.
id bet not. Not many MLBs run a 4.47 40 with 32 reps.

Mr. Laz
04-26-2005, 12:45 PM
It is very unrealistic to want him to be starting MLB this year.

prolly ... but Zach Thomas was a 5th round draftee who started every game his rookie year and had 120+ tackles.

and Grigsby is bigger and faster than Thomas :p

ZootedGranny
04-26-2005, 12:47 PM

Scanlon's Pro Day Numbers
4.59/4.65 40 yard dash
34 inch vertical
9 foot 2 inch long jump
6.65 3 cone drill
16 bench reps

Grigsby's Combine Numbers
4.6 40 yard dash
35.5 inch vertical
9 foot 4 inch vertical
7.10 3 cone drill
32 bench reps

C-Mac
04-26-2005, 12:48 PM

Yes but he didnt have the physical tangibles for playing in the NFL. Boomer has been proven among piers of Division I schools and in the combine. He has a much better chance to suceed even more tha Maz did.

ROYC75
04-26-2005, 12:48 PM
id bet not. Not many MLBs run a 4.47 40 with 32 reps.

I don't know all the #'s, but he was slower in the 40/ 4.5 .

TRR
04-26-2005, 12:49 PM
I would have to say that MLB was not a strength of this years draft. I'm not sure weak would even be the word. The MLB position in this years draft was pretty nonexistent.

Boomer will be a good player if given the time to develop. What's scary is that posters are actually wanting him to start.

ROYC75
04-26-2005, 12:50 PM
4.59/4.65 40 yard dash
34 inch vertical
9 foot 2 inch long jump
6.65 3 cone drill
16 bench reps

4.6 40 yard dash
35.5 inch vertical
9 foot 4 inch vertical
7.10 3 cone drill
32 bench reps

Thanks !

ROYC75
04-26-2005, 12:52 PM
I would have to say that MLB was not a strength of this years draft. I'm not sure weak would even be the word. The MLB position in this years draft was pretty nonexistent.

Boomer will be a good player if given the time to develop. What's scary is that posters are actually wanting him to start.

Starting ? I agree, that absurd with who we already have. But who knows, he has yet to hit the field, time will tell.

Nightfyre
04-26-2005, 01:00 PM
Starting ? I agree, that absurd with who we already have. But who knows, he has yet to hit the field, time will tell.
We have way too much depth for him to start, but he can run down people on special teams all he wants until we decide what we're doing with bell.

Wile_E_Coyote
04-26-2005, 01:11 PM
I don't think Fox will use him for a punching bag.

Chiefnj
04-26-2005, 01:19 PM

Every year people get excited about draft choices and have heightened expectations. Every 8 years or so you get a Jared Allen who comes through in his first year.

bkkcoh
04-26-2005, 01:21 PM
Just to put things in perspective. Out of 58 middle linebacker prospects listed on NFL draft scout here's how Boomer ranked in the following categories at the combine:

1st in 10 yard dash
1st in 20 yard dash
2nd in 40 yard dash
1st in vertical jump
3rd in 225 bench reps (32 reps)
1st in cone drill
2nd in the Wonderlinc

He also had more tackles then any other MLB in his college career.

If someone told you 3 months ago you could have all that for a 5th round pick what would you say??

Numbers lie..

He can't be that good and play D 2

whoman69
04-26-2005, 01:22 PM
If you were a scout, how much weight would you lend to workout numbers? I would certainly place more of an emphasis on actual football skills. William Bartee has shown that you can be a great athlete without having any ability to play top notch football. If you look at game film and a player looks very good, but the combine proves he is slow, then you have to start thinking about how the competition made him look. There are all sorts of great college players whose skill do not pass on to the pro game. Conversely if you had a player that looked bad on film but had a great workout, does that player suddenly become better?

JimNasium
04-26-2005, 01:31 PM
4.59/4.65 40 yard dash
34 inch vertical
9 foot 2 inch long jump
6.65 3 cone drill
16 bench reps

4.6 40 yard dash
35.5 inch vertical
9 foot 4 inch vertical
7.10 3 cone drill
32 bench reps
That seals it for me. Scanlon and Grigsby are starting. DJ and Bell will have to fight it out for third backer.

jcroft
04-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Numbers lie..

He can't be that good and play D 2

I'm telling you. If you keep saying he played "D 2" we are going to have to sick DaneMcCloud on your ass.

Illinois State is division I.

Saulbadguy
04-26-2005, 01:46 PM
I'm telling you. If you keep saying he played "D 2" we are going to have to sick DaneMcCloud on your ass.

Illinois State is division I.
I-AA

:p

Saulbadguy
04-26-2005, 01:47 PM
So, its official then? James Grigsby is the next Rich Scanlon?

royr17
04-26-2005, 01:49 PM
One pro day numbers on scanlon is he ran a 4.54 on track and a 4.61 on grass.

CoMoChief
04-26-2005, 02:01 PM
With Boomer, I now kinda wish we would try the 3-4. Have Bell and Boomer inside and Barber and Johnson on the outside.

Bob Dole
04-26-2005, 02:01 PM
One pro day numbers on scanlon is he ran a 4.54 on track and a 4.61 on grass.

The RoyC Times is the only paper tht published those numbers.

teedubya
04-26-2005, 02:56 PM
4.6 40 yard dash
35.5 inch vertical
9 foot 4 inch vertical
7.10 3 cone drill
32 bench reps

anyone who can jump 112 inches needs to be attempting to block fieldgoals also.

MAN WE GOT A STUD.

WHOooo!!11

Ultra Peanut
04-26-2005, 03:45 PM
Brian Shay put up amazing numbers in division 2 also.I-AA =! DII.

The dropoff from the average I-AA program to your typical DII program is massive.

Ultra Peanut
04-26-2005, 03:50 PM
It's like it's some sort of joke I'm not in on.ROFL

Gravedigger
04-26-2005, 03:56 PM
With the whole Chiefs getting Jared Allen and his success they probably went back to division 1-AA to get Grigsby. The only thing is that Grigsby looks alot better then Allen did last draft.

Mr. Laz
04-26-2005, 04:00 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8242024

Linebacker crunch

The batch of inside linebackers ran on Tuesday. Of the 13 in the group, 12 ran with one medical exception. And of the 12 that ran the 40-yard dash, 11 of them ran it in 4.9 seconds or better.

Boomer Grigsby from Illinois State (4.62), Robert McCune from Louisville (4.50), Adam Seward from UNLV (4.56) and Odell Thurman from Georgia (4.68) ran for some of the best times.

There are more outside linebackers than inside linebackers at the combine. Seventeen of the 22 linebackers in attendance worked out on Tuesday. Four of them had medical excuses and one, Florida's Channing Crowder, was advised by his agent not to run.

All of their times were impressive. Not one of them went over 4.95. Of note, TyJuan Hagler of Cincinnati ran a 4.53, Derrick Johnson of Texas ran a 4.56 and Michael Boley of Southern Miss ran a 4.59 twice with an injured right elbow.

Sizing up the linebackers

The tallest linebacker was Troy's Demarcus Ware, who is 6-foot-4. The shortest linebacker was USC's Matt Grootegoed, who stood in at 5-10¾. Ware is an interesting case study: He grew up in Auburn's back yard in Alabama, but wasn't recruited to play there. Part of the reason is because he was a 165-pound wide receiver, and the Tigers' staff liked him but didn't know what to do with him. Troy took a chance on him, and he's blossomed into a heck of a football player.

The heaviest linebacker was Ryan Claridge from UNLV, who tipped the scales at 254 pounds. He has a banged-up right shoulder, so he didn't run or lift. The lightest linebacker was USC's Grootegoed, who weighed in at 218 pounds. Grootegoed is working out as a linebacker but some teams may have designs on him becoming a safety or special-teams expert.

Lastly, it's worth noting that Derek Wake of Penn State had a 45-inch vertical jump. This guy is big -- 6-2 5/8 and 236 pounds. So for him to jump that high must be some sort of record.

nascher
04-26-2005, 04:01 PM
hopefully he can come near Jared's performance.

Thig Lyfe
04-26-2005, 04:02 PM
So, its official then? James Grigsby is the next Rich Scanlon?

Yeah, except Grigsby is talented.

Mr. Laz
04-26-2005, 04:03 PM
Prospect Profiles

James "Boomer" Grigsby
Position: Middle Linebacker
College: Illinois State
Height: 6-0
Weight: 242
Hometown: Canton, Ill.

Analysis | Injury Report | Agility | High School | Personal

OVERVIEW
James "Boomer" Grigsby was an all-area selection as a senior at Canton (Ill.) High, recording 120 tackles (80 solo) with five sacks and 10 stops for loss. He led his team to a 10-2 record and a spot in the Class 4A playoffs. The honor roll student also excelled in gymnastics, winning the USTA trampoline and double mini championship as a member of the AAU national team. He also was a three-time All-American trampoline award champion.

The son of Paula and David Grigsby, he was born James Grigsby but was nicknamed Boomer by his grandmother on the date of his birth (Nov. 15, 1981). Grigsby is an avid weightlifter who takes great pride in his work ethic. He has become a "hometown" hero as the city of Canton, Ill., is supportive and many residents travel to watch him play in his home games.

Grigsby redshirted in 2000 at Illinois State, but set a school freshman record the following year as he posted 93 tackles (52 solo) with three sacks and five stops behind the line of scrimmage. He earned Gateway Conference Defensive Player of the Year honors and was a consensus All-America pick in 2002, registering 179 tackles (108 solo) with four sacks, 16 stops for loss, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. Only Galen Scott (186 in 1998) recorded more tackles in a season at ISU.

He finished second in the voting for the Buck Buchanan Award (given to the top defensive player in the Division 1-AA ranks), was a unanimous All-America choice and picked up Gateway Defensive Player of the Year honors in 2003. He again totaled 179 tackles (109 solo) with three sacks and 12 stops behind the line of scrimmage, leading the Gateway in tackles for the second straight year.

Grigsby again garnered All-America and Gateway Player of the Year accolades as a senior despite missing the season finale with a knee injury. He finished third in the Buck Buchanan Award voting, finishing his senior year with 129 tackles (56 solo), three sacks, 8½ stops behind the line of scrimmage and two forced fumbles.

In 44 games as a Redbird, Grigsby started 40 times. He recorded 580 tackles (325 solo), breaking the conference and school career record of 579 set by Galen Scott (1997-2000). He also had 13 sacks for minus-77 yards and 41½ stops for losses of 132 yards. Only Scott (43) and John Kropke (54, 1984-87) had more tackles behind the line of scrimmage in school history. His six fumble recoveries tied the ISU record of six, set by several players (most recently by Jerry Creer, 1993-96). He also caused five fumbles and deflected seven passes.

ANALYSIS
Grigsby is a bit undersized and will have to operate in a 4-3 defense in the pros, or possibly move to weak-side linebacker to take advantage of his foot speed. Grigsby would be best served operating in a system that will cover him up and let him roam free. He is a much better performer making plays on the move, as he does not always use his hands effectively to prevent blockers from getting into his exposed chest and stonewalling him on the play. He lacks natural hands for the interception, and while he will make the effort, his small hands make him fight to secure the ball.

Blessed with exceptional quickness, for some reason this avid weightlifter's strength does not always translate to the football field. He has the speed to string plays wide, but when asked to face up he struggles to shed. He just seems to lack the size with bulk to hold up at the point of attack at times. He has very good lateral agility and reads the full flow of the ball well. He is very instinctive making reads and is alert to blocking schemes.

He has a great closing burst and good range vs. the run. Grigsby also does a good job of avoiding blocks on the move, which allows him to angle and take the shorter route to the ball carrier.

On the run, he is capable of taking proper angles to the ball and using his speed to slip through trash and make tackles in the backfield. He is more of an arm tackler, leading to a lot of missed hits as the bigger runners are able to slip off his shots. Grigsby is a powerful tackler but needs to improve his hand usage in order to gain good leverage. He seems to run around blocks too often, and while he has good lateral agility, looks a little stiff in his hips when having to redirect.

Against the inside run, his weight-room strength does not translate to the field. He has trouble shedding at times and can get pushed around working inside the box. He is a good wrap-up tackler who can generate pop, but sometimes looks soft taking on the lead block and needs to bring his feet and explode into the ball carrier better. He is more of a move-oriented tackler, as he does not make many tackles head-on, but can wrap and drag the opponent down.

His pass-coverage skills, especially in one-on-one situations, are lacking. He seems to be late reacting to the receiver's moves and lacks the size to reroute tight ends. He needs to get better hand placement in pass protection and must do a better hob of getting to the drop point when playing in the zone.

As a pass rusher, he lacks any type of moves to be consistent here. He fails to avoid blockers on the inside blitz, but shows suddenness when coming off the edge and having a clear lane. His strength in the weight room could be better featured if only he'd face up more on tackles. He has marginal pass-drop agility and is prone to reading fakes and biting on play-action in pass coverage. He needs to learn better zone coverage responsibilities, as Grigsby is not always in the right spot in his pass drop.

Grigsby has good athletic ability and can contribute on the next level, but it's doubtful if he will ever come close to matching his collegiate statistics. Some teams might be considering him as a strong safety, as they feel he has reached maximum size growth potential. But with his pass coverage difficulties, it would be tough to make a position change at this time.

INJURY REPORT
2004: Sat out the season finale vs. Florida Atlantic after undergoing surgery on Nov. 17 to repair a torn lateral meniscus in his left knee.

AGILITY
4.55 in the 40-yard dash … 400-pound bench press … 600-pound squat … 335-pound power clean … 36-inch vertical jump … 30¼-inch arm length … 9¼-inch hands … Right-handed ….

HIGH SCHOOL
Attended Canton (Ill.) High, playing football for coach Steve Graves … All-area as a senior when Canton was 10-2 with a spot in Class 4A's elite eight … Recorded 120 tackles as a senior with 80 solo, 10 stops for lossand five sacks … His interception sealed a playoff win over top-seeded Rochelle … Honor roll student … Was the USTA trampoline and double mini champion and a member of the AAU national team. … Three-time AAU All-America trampoline award winner.

PERSONAL
Business administration major … Nicknamed Boomer by his grandmother on the date of his birth (real name is James) … Son of David and Paula Grigsby … Born Nov. 15, 1981, in Canton, Ill.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, Powered by The Sports Xchange