PDA

View Full Version : Im sorry, but the DJ to DT comparisons HAVE to stop.

BigVE
04-26-2005, 05:58 PM
Its not even fair to Derrick Johnson who is a overhyped rookie who hasnt played ONE down in the NFL. DT was a Chief legend for years. Let the kid play without ULTRA high expectations (not possible in Chief-land lately) and see what comes about. I am extremely happy with the pick of DJ and think that he could POTENTIALLY be very effective, but to compare him to DT is unrealistic. DT was DT...wont be another.

Braincase
04-26-2005, 06:07 PM
I absolutely agree. I'd start goin' by my middle name.

Rain Man
04-26-2005, 06:10 PM
DT would have wanted it that way. So would DJ.

CosmicPal
04-26-2005, 06:11 PM
Yea, while we're at it- can we stop with the "crap" name as well.

FloridaChief
04-26-2005, 06:13 PM
I'm gonna have to insist that the BJ-to-DJ comparisons stop as well. Thanks.

http://members.aol.com/vtactor007/images/bjbear17.jpg

dilligaf
04-26-2005, 06:13 PM
Yea, while we're at it- can we stop with the "crap" name as well.
That one has definatly run its course. But he will hear alot of it in Oakland.

Reaper16
04-26-2005, 06:14 PM
I'm gonna have to insist that the BJ-to-DJ comparisons stop as well. Thanks.

http://members.aol.com/vtactor007/images/bjbear17.jpg

Hilarity

Freekofnature
04-26-2005, 06:20 PM
DJ is not even the same type of player that DT was.

Whoever was comparing DJ to DT doesn't know what they are talking about.

cdcox
04-26-2005, 06:29 PM
Both players first names are Derrick.
Both players went to southern schools.
Both players play linebacker.
Both players are African American.
Both players were drafted by the Chiefs in the 1st round.
Both players played for Carl Peterson.
Both players were considered the top linebacking prospects in the draft the year they came out.

No actually it looks like the comparisons could go on for quite a while.

Both players ...

Skip Towne
04-26-2005, 06:41 PM
DJ is not even the same type of player that DT was.

Whoever was comparing DJ to DT doesn't know what they are talking about.
What? It is unpossible a planeteer doesn't know what they are talking about.

Freekofnature
04-26-2005, 06:44 PM
What? It is unpossible a planeteer doesn't know what they are talking about.
ROFL

Rain Man
04-26-2005, 06:47 PM
Both players first names are Derrick.
Both players went to southern schools.
Both players play linebacker.
Both players are African American.
Both players were drafted by the Chiefs in the 1st round.
Both players played for Carl Peterson.
Both players were considered the top linebacking prospects in the draft the year they came out.

No actually it looks like the comparisons could go on for quite a while.

Both players ...

DT's secretary was named Johnson, and Johnson's secretary was named Thomas.

jcroft
04-26-2005, 07:04 PM
I agree that it's not really fair to compare DT to DJ. I also know this is the real world, and people are gonna do it anyway. I will choose not to make those comparisons myself, but I hope DJ is prepared for it, because it's bound to happen.

As for "crap," I'm tired of it. It was funny for about five minutes. I'm sure that Cro is tired of it, too, but I'm also sure that he's dealt with it all his life and is pretty used to it. I'm sure if you made a "crap" joke to Cro, his response would probably be a sarcastic, "You're soooo clever. I've NEVER heard that one before. Way to go, man. Ever think of writing for a sitcom? Where do you come up with this stuff?!"

Logical
04-26-2005, 07:10 PM
I agree that it's not really fair to compare DT to DJ. I also know this is the real world, and people are gonna do it anyway. I will choose not to make those comparisons myself, but I hope DJ is prepared for it, because it's bound to happen.

As for "crap," I'm tired of it. It was funny for about five minutes. I'm sure that Cro is tired of it, too, but I'm also sure that he's dealt with it all his life and is pretty used to it. I'm sure if you made a "crap" joke to Cro, his response would probably be a sarcastic, "You're soooo clever. I've NEVER heard that one before. Way to go, man. Ever think of writing for a sitcom? Where do you come up with this stuff?!"
Actually I have found that most people with names like this (craphonso) are so used to it they ignore the comments. They know they have a name that is going to be abused and have become accustomed to it. Does not stop them from being annoyed they have the name.

jcroft
04-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Actually I have found that most people with names like this (craphonso) are so used to it they ignore the comments. They know they have a name that is going to be abused and have become accustomed to it. Does not stop them from being annoyed they have the name.

That's what I was getting at. He's probably so used to the comments that anything you say will just bounce off of his as "heard that one before, buddy. Get some new material."

He's got a nickname. It's "Cro." From what I understand, he goes by "Cro" about like Boomer goes by "Boomer." Personally, I'm going to call him Cro, since that's apparently what he wants to be called.

Logical
04-26-2005, 07:18 PM
That's what I was getting at. He's probably so used to the comments that anything you say will just bounce off of his as "heard that one before, buddy. Get some new material."

He's got a nickname. It's "Cro." From what I understand, he goes by "Cro" about like Boomer goes by "Boomer." Personally, I'm going to call him Cro, since that's apparently what he wants to be called.

I just hope he warrants having his name or nickname mentioned in the future. In the end I bet that is really what he wants as well. Crap another first down. Would not be all bad.;)

philfree
04-26-2005, 07:26 PM
Two totally different type of players. DJ won't have the sack number of DT but he'll have more tackles and he'll have more then one INT in his career as a Chief. Probably have one his rookie year if not more. DJ could have similar impact on the Chiefs D as DT did but in unsimilar ways. There was/is nothing like a DT sack-fumble play. He was that "guy". DJ is gonna be the "guy" who's all over the field all the time causing fumbles, picking off passes and making tackles. Making plays!

PhilFree:arrow:

dtebbe
04-26-2005, 07:33 PM
Two totally different type of players. DJ won't have the sack number of DT but he'll have more tackles and he'll have more then one INT in his career as a Chief. Probably have one his rookie year if not more. DJ could have similar impact on the Chiefs D as DT did but in unsimilar ways. There was/is nothing like a DT sack-fumble play. He was that "guy". DJ is gonna be the "guy" who's all over the field all the time causing fumbles, picking off passes and making tackles. Making plays!

Yes, exactly. This past saturday when the talking heads were saying how DJ could not fight thru offensive linesmen, I was curious if they watched Ray Lewis this year, since he lost goose' and the other big fattys that were in front of him. Hell, T-rich manhandled the little bitch. Yet everyone acts like Ray Ray is the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ, Linebacker.

DT

Inspector
04-26-2005, 08:17 PM
Yes, exactly. This past saturday when the talking heads were saying how DJ could not fight thru offensive linesmen, I was curious if they watched Ray Lewis this year, since he lost goose' and the other big fattys that were in front of him. Hell, T-rich manhandled the little bitch. Yet everyone acts like Ray Ray is the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ, Linebacker.

DT

Huh??

I thought Jesus was a back up tight end....

yoswif
04-26-2005, 08:24 PM

DT

I take the comments of former professional players very seriously. I could care less what "talking heads" have to say.

If DJ freelances instead of carrying out his assignments within Gunthers scheme, he'll make enough highlight reel plays to make his adoring fans think he's great. But when DJ doesn't make a highlight reel play with his free lancing and the rest of the D gives up lots of yards and points, will DJ's adoring fans blame DJ for missing his assignment or will they blame the coaches and the Chief's defenders who aren't freelancing.

It's this kind of discension in the lockerroom an undisciplined, freelancing player like DJ will create that has a lot of former players concerned. They don't think he has the discipline to focus on carrying out his assignments within an NFL type defensive scheme. And they know his adoring fans will forgive him for freelancing as long as he makes a few highlight reel plays. Which leaves DJ's coaches and teammates taking all the blame for anything bad that happens. Not very good for team chemistry.

tk13
04-26-2005, 08:30 PM
I take the comments of former professional players very seriously. I could care less what "talking heads" have to say.

Sometimes there is very little difference between the two.

yoswif
04-26-2005, 08:46 PM
Sometimes there is very little difference between the two.

Personally, I think "talking heads" are a lot closer to posters on some website than they are to former professional football players.

Wallcrawler
04-26-2005, 09:42 PM
If DJ freelances instead of carrying out his assignments within Gunthers scheme, he'll make enough highlight reel plays to make his adoring fans think he's great. But when DJ doesn't make a highlight reel play with his free lancing and the rest of the D gives up lots of yards and points, will DJ's adoring fans blame DJ for missing his assignment or will they blame the coaches and the Chief's defenders who aren't freelancing.

It's this kind of discension in the lockerroom an undisciplined, freelancing player like DJ will create that has a lot of former players concerned. They don't think he has the discipline to focus on carrying out his assignments within an NFL type defensive scheme. And they know his adoring fans will forgive him for freelancing as long as he makes a few highlight reel plays. Which leaves DJ's coaches and teammates taking all the blame for anything bad that happens. Not very good for team chemistry.

Yeah, well he was good enough with his "freelancing" to be the best linebacker in the entire NFL draft. He broke school records, and racked up a slew of awards. I think this guy will be just fine.

This guy knows he has to make a big transition, and knows he isnt going to be the best thing going as soon as he steps on the field, so how about you cut the "Lockerroom Cancer" bullshit before someone figures out that the main ingredient in that pipe youre smoking isnt tobacco.

The guy hasnt played a down in the NFL. He hasnt even been in a mini-camp yet, and already youre making him out to be a hotdog who wants to do his own thing, and not do what is best for the defense.

Gimme a friggin break already.

KCChiefsMan
04-27-2005, 03:10 AM
well his first name is Derrick and he's a linebacker, most people around here do not have the intelligence to differeniate between him and Derrick Thomas because of their first names. stupid people....stupid

KCChiefsMan
04-27-2005, 03:11 AM
it's like a girl who I work with at the restaraunt, she's been there for 2 years and still spells chilli con queso = "chilli con caso"

tk13
04-27-2005, 03:43 AM
Personally, I think "talking heads" are a lot closer to posters on some website than they are to former professional football players.

Depends. Some of them are very good at what they do, others just like to hear themselves talk. That's what a lot of the analyzing on ESPN and the major networks has come to... more Michael Irvin, less Tom Jackson. I would never claim to know more about the game than a professional football player, but by the same token a guy like Merrill Hoge that has ripped DJ up and down also picked the Chiefs to win something like 4 or 5 games during the 2003 season when we made the playoffs. He picked against us every single week almost and was always wrong. Just because he was an NFL running back doesn't mean he's going to be right 100% of the time.

I don't know, I'm not a football expert, I don't claim to be. I watched the guy more than any of those guys on ESPN did, UT was on national TV quite a bit, and he's the one defensive player I hoped we could land all along, if you could search it you could go look it up. By no means is he perfect, most guys aren't coming out of college, but I think the negative hype machine got rolling on him and hurt his draft stock. I think he has the potential to end up being the best defensive player taken in this draft 10 years from now. I really do.

|Zach|
04-27-2005, 04:14 AM
it's like a girl who I work with at the restaraunt, she's been there for 2 years and still spells chilli con queso = "chilli con caso"
Ya, this situation is just like that.

|Zach|
04-27-2005, 04:14 AM
:)

htismaqe
04-27-2005, 05:15 AM

From a playing-style standpoint, a more correct comparison would be Derrick Brooks.

In fact, DJ said that's who he thinks he is most like.

ExtremeChief
04-27-2005, 05:42 AM
If he misses assignments, he will be equal to the defenders we have now, since they miss assignments all the time.

If he creates turnovers, gets the occasional crowd-pumping hit, and gets the guys around him to play with some swagger... he's already made the defense better, because no-one on the defense did that last year other than Jared Allen.

yoswif
04-27-2005, 06:32 AM
Depends. Some of them are very good at what they do, others just like to hear themselves talk. That's what a lot of the analyzing on ESPN and the major networks has come to... more Michael Irvin, less Tom Jackson. I would never claim to know more about the game than a professional football player, but by the same token a guy like Merrill Hoge that has ripped DJ up and down also picked the Chiefs to win something like 4 or 5 games during the 2003 season when we made the playoffs. He picked against us every single week almost and was always wrong. Just because he was an NFL running back doesn't mean he's going to be right 100% of the time.

I don't know, I'm not a football expert, I don't claim to be. I watched the guy more than any of those guys on ESPN did, UT was on national TV quite a bit, and he's the one defensive player I hoped we could land all along, if you could search it you could go look it up. By no means is he perfect, most guys aren't coming out of college, but I think the negative hype machine got rolling on him and hurt his draft stock. I think he has the potential to end up being the best defensive player taken in this draft 10 years from now. I really do.

I think Hoge is just countering Jaws' "unbiased" view of the Chiefs. His bashing is no more over the top than Jaws' pimping, imo.

I think team chemistry is an important issue with NFL vets doing analysis. They think DJ will struggle with the discipline required to execute NFL defensive schemes. Gunther didn't spend years putting together a 3 inch thick playbook so some rookie hotshot can come in and play streetball.

If DJ uses his tremendous talent to carry out his assignments with the kind of discipline and proficiency Lambert and Hamm displayed, he and his teammates will make a lot of big plays. And DJ and his teammates will earn the respect a great NFL defense deserves.

patteeu
04-27-2005, 07:00 AM
Yeah, well he was good enough with his "freelancing" to be the best linebacker in the entire NFL draft. He broke school records, and racked up a slew of awards. I think this guy will be just fine.

This guy knows he has to make a big transition, and knows he isnt going to be the best thing going as soon as he steps on the field, so how about you cut the "Lockerroom Cancer" bullshit before someone figures out that the main ingredient in that pipe youre smoking isnt tobacco.

The guy hasnt played a down in the NFL. He hasnt even been in a mini-camp yet, and already youre making him out to be a hotdog who wants to do his own thing, and not do what is best for the defense.

Gimme a friggin break already.

I don't think he's making a prediction. I think he's offering some intelligent insight into the pitfalls that an incredible talent like DJ might represent. No one knows whether DJ will display the discipline required. The Chiefs obviously believe he will (or they wouldn't have picked him). I'm optimistic about it, but I'm just a guy on the internet.

Personally, I think Yoswif's post was the most thought provoking one in this thread.