PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical: Buying a House

Rain Man
04-26-2005, 06:33 PM
Would you buy a house that was the scene of a gruesome murder? You can assume that the mess has been cleaned up, and it happened to the previous owner.

Would it make a difference if it was a mob hit? A random walk-in crazy murder? A spouse killing a spouse? A jealous lover killing a cheating partner?

HemiEd
04-26-2005, 06:39 PM
No, not at all. I had some friends buy the house that the Otero's were killed in by BTK. They felt they got a heck of a discount. They were nuts IMO. I do not know how it turned out, we basically lost contact.

Rain Man
04-26-2005, 06:40 PM
I do not know how it turned out, we basically lost contact.

Oh my gosh! Did you report them missing?!?!?!

ChiefsCountry
04-26-2005, 06:41 PM
Rain Man, how in the world do you think up this stuff?

Rain Man
04-26-2005, 06:42 PM
For me, it would make a big difference about whether the murderer was caught. It'd creep me out too much if the person was still 'out there.' It would also have to be a logical, local murder - husband killing wife, etc. I wouldn't want to live where there was a mob hit, or where some random Mansonite came in and butchered everyone.

Rain Man
04-26-2005, 06:44 PM

I'm not sure. I just suddenly wake up, covered in blood, and voila.

HemiEd
04-26-2005, 06:46 PM
Oh my gosh! Did you report them missing?!?!?!

For me, it would make a big difference about whether the murderer was caught. It'd creep me out too much if the person was still 'out there.' It would also have to be a logical, local murder - husband killing wife, etc. I wouldn't want to live where there was a mob hit, or where some random Mansonite came in and butchered everyone.

They did have us over to a halloween party at the place. I did not enjoy it at all, thought it was in poor taste. That is probably why we lost contact. It was of course well before he was caught.

Skip Towne
04-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Psst - Rainman isn't quite right in the head but we don't talk about it on here. He claims he was "normal" when he lived in Rolla.

KCWolfman
04-26-2005, 07:18 PM
I am betting I could get it cheaper than FMV. Hell, yes.

Hammock Parties
04-26-2005, 07:25 PM
Only if it comes with an X-Wing.

KCWolfman
04-26-2005, 08:06 PM
Only if it comes with an X-Wing.
Most start with a traditional Ell Wing as an addition to the home, but I guess it is possible.

Hammock Parties
04-26-2005, 08:31 PM
Most start with a traditional Ell Wing as an addition to the home, but I guess it is possible.

ROFL

Spicy McHaggis
04-26-2005, 10:35 PM
I wouldn't want to live where there was a mob hit

Really? See I could do mob hit. But if it was like a husband that killed his wife or something that would creep me out way to much. Same with a random drifter kinda deal.

Edit: I would also live there if the person was famous. If Vanilla Ice was pushed down a flight of stairs by a jealous gay lover I wouldn't have any problem living there.

trndobrd
04-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Excerpt from the Trndobrd 'Murder House' visitors guide....

"Your guided tour includes a walk through the 'Garage of Horrors' where the axes were sharpened and a new spool of line put in the gas trimmer. We will stop in the 'Bathroom of Pain' where guests will see the very spot where bowel movements were taken immediately prior to the murders. Next stop will be the 'Den of Doom' where, according to eyewitness accounts, several magazines were read and perhaps email checked in the moments leading up to the murders. Guests will have the chance to see the 'Kitchen of Clues' where multiple sets of fingerprints were obtained from a jar of Skippy brand peanutbutter. Also in the kitchen is 'The Insinkerator', final resting place of the victims. (Please do not use flash photography underneath the sink. Thank you.) Finally, our tour ends in the 'Bedroom of Blood'. Guest will be able to see the very spot where the murders occured and also a lovely walk in closet where clothes were changed. Please remember to visit our gift shop for a wide assortment of books, gifts and novelties."

el borracho
04-26-2005, 11:05 PM
Ok, I have three thoughts on this:
*If it was the house I liked most and the only negative was the history I would not hesitate to buy it.

*If there were two comparable houses and a murderous history was the only difference I would probably choose the house without the history.

*I absolutely would not buy it if I thought that the history would lead to random visits by people intrigued by the history. In other words, I wouldn't buy the Tate mansion because I wouldn't want people driving by all the time just to look at my house because of its history.

trndobrd
04-26-2005, 11:22 PM
Where is the "RainMan should check with a certified Real Estate Agent to help him decide on a asking price for his house" option?