PDA

View Full Version : Interested in Az-Hakim

tyton75
04-27-2005, 11:01 AM
Chiefs | Hakim Could be an Option - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 07:34:30 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports free agent WR Az-Zahir Hakim (Lions) may be an option for the Kansas City Chiefs.

guess this just goes back to, would you rather have Az or Morton..

I'd rather have Az I think

Gaz
04-27-2005, 11:05 AM
I’d rather have Parker, I think.

xoxo~
Gaz
Liked what he saw last season.

Eleazar
04-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Bring him in. Can't hurt.

But we still wouldn't have a decent second receiver.

King_Chief_Fan
04-27-2005, 11:09 AM
Chiefs | Hakim Could be an Option - from www.KFFL.com (http://www.KFFL.com)
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 07:34:30 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports free agent WR Az-Zahir Hakim (Lions) may be an option for the Kansas City Chiefs.

guess this just goes back to, would you rather have Az or Morton..

I'd rather have Az I think

since Morton was a flop.......I am up for trying Az...provided he comes cheap and earns a position.

Mr. Kotter
04-27-2005, 11:12 AM
If he can earn a spot, what harm does it do? :hmmm:

RINGLEADER
04-27-2005, 11:12 AM
This offense seems to take awhile for receivers to learn (which I think helps explain why JM wasn't productive until last year), but Az knows it. There shouldn't be a learning curve. I say bring him in at the right price.

Mr. Laz
04-27-2005, 11:13 AM
no thanks

eazyb81
04-27-2005, 11:15 AM
If it is Morton or Az, I saw bring in Az. If Morton couldn't do the worm he would be completely useless.

Rain Man
04-27-2005, 11:16 AM
It never hurts to bring someone in, but he's not going to beat out Morton unless Morton is a cap corpse.

chop
04-27-2005, 11:22 AM
I say NO to Az also. It doesn't matter to me whether JM gets released or not, I want to give Bo and Parker more reps. I think with Bo and Kennison starting and Parker as the third receiver.

Kylo Ren
04-27-2005, 11:26 AM
I say NO to Az Hakim, but MAYBE to Isaac Bruce. I've heard that Bruce might be a June 1 cap casualty.

Chief Faithful
04-27-2005, 11:34 AM
No to Morton and Az as I don't see either as prime time play makers, but they both are heavy cap consumers. I'd rather see Kennison, Parker, Bo, Cro, and Hall. If they carry a sixth let it be between Booth, McIntyre, and Smith.

siberian khatru
04-27-2005, 11:36 AM
No. I think we can do better -- maybe from our own roster.

dirk digler
04-27-2005, 11:37 AM
Sure why not and he knows our system inside and out.

royr17
04-27-2005, 11:40 AM
I say NO to Az Hakim, but MAYBE to Isaac Bruce. I've heard that Bruce might be a June 1 cap casualty.

If he gets cut the chiefs would be stupid not to bring him in.

Mastashake
04-27-2005, 11:53 AM
Take him. He fits all the physical characteristics DV likes, plus he has NFL and DV experience, which despite popular belief goes a LONG way.

Even if he gets knocked down to 3rd wide to someone like parker, his presence wil still be a positive. Guys like him make the field a lot deeper, and force open plays underneath.

My biggest concern is seeing him play without turf. What would be be?

Mastashake

jcroft
04-27-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm all for signing Az if he is cheap, but I'm not for him being made a starter right away. I'd like to see Parker get his oppostunity to win that spot. And, I think Parker WOULD win that spot and Az would be the #3 guy.

It's my feeling that beyond Kennison, all of our WRs are question marks:

Parker -- looked good, but he's played what, three games?
Boe -- Two years removed from good play and coming off major injury.
Hall -- Okay, he's not a question mark, but he's not a starting WR, either.
Cro - Rookie, need I say more?
Morton -- Likley cut.

At least having Az would give us a bit of vetran experience at the position. Yes, he's not the greatest receiver, but he'll add to the depth and give us a vetran who can step into the starting lineup if someone is injured. Don't get me wrong -- I'd much rather replace Morton with a stud number one receiver. But, I do think we NEED to replace Morton with another vet, and if Hakim is what's available, then Hakim will do.

I say bring him in if he comes at the vet minimum or close to it.

htismaqe
04-27-2005, 12:05 PM
What the hell do we need Az Hakim for? We have 3 or 4 guys on our roster that have better hands, and we have the best return man in the game.

No thanks.

The Bad Guy
04-27-2005, 12:05 PM
If it's between Morton or AZ, it's no comparison for me.

Bring in the guy who has the speed to stretch the field.

I think Az would do well here.

jcroft
04-27-2005, 12:08 PM
Okay, forget Az for a minute. Let me ask a more simple question. If we cut Morton, do you think we need to replace him with another veteran, or are you comfortable with Kennsion, two guys who are basically rookies (Parker and Cro), a guy who did nothing two years ago and then missed all of last year with an injury (Boe) and Dante (who obviously won't be starting at receiver)?

So, the question is: If we cut Morton, should we replace him with another vet, or go with the other guys we have?

philfree
04-27-2005, 12:13 PM
I'd love to see Bruce a Chiefs and I don't really have a problem with Az except who do we cut for him? I could see cutting just about any player for Bruce but not for Hakim. If no Bruce but we can keep 6 WRs then Az would be fine but if we only keep 5 WRs then besides Morton we're gonna have to cut Boe, Parker or Thorpe. I don't want to lose any of those guys for Az Hakim.

PhilFree:arrow:

philfree
04-27-2005, 12:15 PM
Okay, forget Az for a minute. Let me ask a more simple question. If we cut Morton, do you think we need to replace him with another veteran, or are you comfortable with Kennsion, two guys who are basically rookies (Parker and Cro), a guy who did nothing two years ago and then missed all of last year with an injury (Boe) and Dante (who obviously won't be starting at receiver)?

So, the question is: If we cut Morton, should we replace him with another vet, or go with the other guys we have?

So much depends on Boe's health. If he's back to health then we need no Vets unless we're willing to carry 6 WRs.

tyton75
04-27-2005, 12:20 PM
I really REALLY hope Boe is ok and ready to play... but I'm not willing to bet the season on it.. I say bring in Az to play opposite Kennison.. and if he gets beat out... all the better!

I see our WR depth as very shallow and lacking in talent.. I hope Parker and the rest can prove me wrong, but i'm not sold

jspchief
04-27-2005, 12:24 PM
That snippet from KFFL seems very vague. I read as John Clayton just speculating more than anything else.

Personally, I don't see any reason to bring him in. He's got terrible hands and he's not a very good route runner. If he was a decent WR at all, the Lions would have kept him and addressed a more pressing need in the draft.

"He's not Morton" is not a good enough excuse for me. Let's see what we have with our young guys.

jcroft
04-27-2005, 12:27 PM
So much depends on Boe's health. If he's back to health then we need no Vets unless we're willing to carry 6 WRs.

Even when Boe was healthy two years ago he made virtually zero contribution. What makes you think this year will be different?

Wile_E_Coyote
04-27-2005, 12:27 PM
I swear last season on a third down. I saw Morton look for the down marker, came up short caught the ball, then left the field smirking. It was probably my imagination, but I can't shake it. I can't stand wormboy

jcroft
04-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Let's see what we have with our young guys.

Another year, I'd probably agree. But this is supposed to be the last year of our "window." I think we need to have a couple of veteran WRs on the roster. I'd still love to see our young guys beat them out, but I'm not willing to count on it. Bringing in someone to replace Morton can only increase the competition in camp and make Parker and Cro better.

wutamess
04-27-2005, 12:34 PM
Hell NO to Azz!
He was hurt 60% of the time while with Detroit.
Plus he didn't produce.

I'd rather develop in house talent than take a chance on him even if he is to pan out.

Brock
04-27-2005, 12:36 PM
Another year, I'd probably agree. But this is supposed to be the last year of our "window."

I've heard that statement bandied around a lot , but I don't see any justification for it.

Mr. Laz
04-27-2005, 12:37 PM
I swear last season on a third down. I saw Morton look for the down marker, came up short caught the ball, then left the field smirking. It was probably my imagination, but I can't shake it. I can't stand wormboy
and did you see Gonzo "alligator arm" a touchdown pass against minnesota because he was about to get hit?

minnesota safety made an interception because of it too

Wile_E_Coyote
04-27-2005, 12:41 PM
and did you see Gonzo "alligator arm" a touchdown pass against minnesota because he was about to get hit?

minnesota safety made an interception because of it too

no I don't remember that, so Pinkston was doing the Gonzo :shake:

jspchief
04-27-2005, 12:42 PM
Another year, I'd probably agree. But this is supposed to be the last year of our "window." I think we need to have a couple of veteran WRs on the roster. I'd still love to see our young guys beat them out, but I'm not willing to count on it. Bringing in someone to replace Morton can only increase the competition in camp and make Parker and Cro better.

If that's your reasoning, then my question is "why start tinkering with a well-oiled machine?" The notion that Hakim will come in here and be head and shoulders above Morton is beyond me. Hakim's best year barely measures up to Morton's worst. There's a reason this guy is a cast-off.

A big part of our offense is timing. Green has to trust that WR is going to be where he's supposed to be when he releases that ball. Vermeil even admitted that was what kept Smith and Parker from getting more opportunities last year. I'd rather keep a safety net in Morton, and let one of the younger guys unseat him if they show the ability to do so.

1punkyQB
04-27-2005, 12:44 PM
I've heard that statement bandied around a lot , but I don't see any justification for it.
If Roaf and Shields do retire after this year, which is quite possible, I'd say the window closes in a hurry. It's tough to replace two Pro Bowl lineman. That's probably a large part of the reason Green hasn't missed a game in years.

Brock
04-27-2005, 12:50 PM
If Roaf and Shields do retire after this year, which is quite possible, I'd say the window closes in a hurry. It's tough to replace two Pro Bowl lineman. That's probably a large part of the reason Green hasn't missed a game in years.

Even if those two leave, the chiefs still have a very good core of offensive linemen. They'd still have the QB, RB, WRs, and TE on offense, and an improving defense.

Warrior5
04-27-2005, 01:01 PM
I really want Chris Horn to make the roster.

TRR
04-27-2005, 01:07 PM
Az Hakim would be the perfect addition to our WR corp. He is young (28 years old), knows the system, and could step right in and take over for where Morton left off. Plus, he has a lot more big play ability than Morton. Az would also come pretty cheap.

We can't afford a WR like Isaac Bruce, who (1) makes our WR corp even older, and (2) will command Johnnie Morton money.

Az Hakim would be the perfect fit.

go bo
04-27-2005, 01:12 PM
I say NO to Az also. It doesn't matter to me whether JM gets released or not, I want to give Bo and Parker more reps. I think with Bo and Kennison starting and Parker as the third receiver.while your sentiments warm the cockles of my heart, even i don't foresee bo starting this year, unless as a result of injuries to other wr's...

jcroft
04-27-2005, 01:16 PM

The justification, I'd say, is that many of our offensive starters are either only under contract for one more year or are expected to retire after one more year, and our head coach is in the last season of his contract, and presumably his career.

jcroft
04-27-2005, 01:18 PM
If that's your reasoning, then my question is "why start tinkering with a well-oiled machine?" The notion that Hakim will come in here and be head and shoulders above Morton is beyond me. Hakim's best year barely measures up to Morton's worst. There's a reason this guy is a cast-off.

A big part of our offense is timing. Green has to trust that WR is going to be where he's supposed to be when he releases that ball. Vermeil even admitted that was what kept Smith and Parker from getting more opportunities last year. I'd rather keep a safety net in Morton, and let one of the younger guys unseat him if they show the ability to do so.

I agree, and I've said all along that I'm fine with keeping Morton if he'll restructure his contract. I'd prefer that so signing Hakim, to be sure.

But, it seems to be a forgone conclusion of most here that Morton is a goner, and if that's the case, I think we need to replace him with a vet that knows this system.

jcroft
04-27-2005, 01:19 PM
Even if those two leave, the chiefs still have a very good core of offensive linemen. They'd still have the QB, RB, WRs, and TE on offense, and an improving defense.

You may be right, but we'll be looking at a new head coach, and that could change everything. I also think there's a good chance Priest is gone next year (either retired or traded) and that will change things. Even though LJ looks like he's going to be a quality NFL back, losing Priest would mean a lot of changes for this offense, which is built around him.

Frankie
04-27-2005, 01:20 PM
I’d rather have Parker, I think.

xoxo~
Gaz
Liked what he saw last season.

So true.

philfree
04-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Even when Boe was healthy two years ago he made virtually zero contribution. What makes you think this year will be different?

I don't know. He was playing pretty well last preseason and was looking to unseat Morton before he blew out his knee. He was also pretty impressive in his rookie year with his 8 TDs out of 20 receptions. To go along with that he's also an important part of our blocking on running plays at 6'4" and 220Lbs. If he's not healthy then I think that changes things but I'd still rather wait to see if Bruce is cut loose before signing Az Hakim. I think Parker has more talent then Hakim.

jcroft
04-27-2005, 01:22 PM
I really want Chris Horn to make the roster.

As much as I like the ballsy play of Chris Horn and his continued improvement every year, I'd say that if Chris Horn makes this roster, it means that our WRs really, really suck. In the "depth chat in my head," I can't see Horn any higher than 8th.

Kennison
Morton/Hakim/other vet
Parker
Boerigter
Hall
Thorpe
Smith
Horn

Brock
04-27-2005, 01:22 PM
The justification, I'd say, is that many of our offensive starters are either only under contract for one more year or are expected to retire after one more year, and our head coach is in the last season of his contract, and presumably his career.

Well, if you'd say that many of our offensive starters are only under contract for one more year, you'd be wrong. The coach is a non-factor as far as I'm concerned. I am no longer convinced Vermeil knows which end is up.

jcroft
04-27-2005, 01:24 PM
I don't know. He was playing pretty well last preseason and was looking to unseat Morton before he blew out his knee. He was also pretty impressive in his rookie year with his 8 TDs out of 20 receptions. To go along with that he's also an important part of our blocking on running plays at 6'4" and 220Lbs. If he's not healthy then I think that changes things but I'd still rather wait to see if Bruce is cut loose before signing Az Hakim. I think Parker has more talent then Hakim.

That's certainly not how I remember it. Yes, he had a very good rookie season three years ago. Two years ago he did next to nothing. One year ago he was injured for the entire season. I am holding out hope he'll return to the form of his rookie year, but I'm not prepared to count on it.

I'd prefer Bruce to Hakim, too, but Bruce is going to be pricey and my understanding is that he's not a fan of Vermeil's and he wouldn't want to play here anyway.

jcroft
04-27-2005, 01:26 PM
Well, if you'd say that many of our offensive starters are only under contract for one more year, you'd be wrong. The coach is a non-factor as far as I'm concerned. I am no longer convinced Vermeil knows which end is up.

I agree with you about Vermeil, but the fact still remains that when he leaves, a new regime is likely to cause disruption in our timeframe, not speed it up. It doesn't seem that often that a new coach steps in and the team is better right away (Gruden and Mora are exceptions, I think). Usually there is at least a year or two of revamping and relearning things for both players and coach. Now, if the new coach was Saunders and most of the staff was the same otherwise, it might not be that big of a change...

jspchief
04-27-2005, 01:56 PM
I've been poking around a Lions board to get some opinions. Here's what they had to say:

Hakim has had a lot of injury problems and a lot of drop passes. With Trent Green it could be a different story. I personally think J Morton is better than Hakim.

hakim can play really well in the slot if your number 1 reciever is double covered and he is given single coverage with a 3rd cb, saftey, or lb. He is very fast but doesn't have great hands. He is though a good dependable third wr but don't expect him to be a good 1 or 2

Welcome Chiefs fan. I thought Az was over paid. Then he was injuried and wasnt the same (route and speed wise) and he constantly had problems with drops. Also he had to play in other positions then the slot due to injuries to other receivers and that didint go over to well. He might make a decent pick-up for the KC offense but I wouldnt count on him for more then "spot" duty here and there.

Hakim would still be a very good option in the right situation. I think your team would be pretty pleased with him (Disclaimer: This guy also loves Charlie Batch)

HAKIM CANT CATCH A PASS ANYMORE (Disclaimer: from my limited time on the board, I've determined that this guy may be the resident idiot)

Hey Chiefs fans I would advise you to hope that Vermeil. passes on Hakim. His best days are behind him. Good luck with Derrick Johnson, the Lions made the right decision, no way they could have passed on Mike Williams.

alot of people have been dumpin on Millen for that move and I said all along that his production was going through the floor..as far as Az goes I think you can get him for vet minimum and if used in the slot can still be effective

The general consensus seems to be that he's no better than a slot receiver, and he has bad hands.

jcroft
04-27-2005, 02:05 PM
The general consensus seems to be that he's no better than a slot receiver, and he has bad hands.

That's my impression of him, too. Let me be clear about a few things.

1. I'd rather keep Johnnie Morton, unless we are signing someone clearly much better than him.

2. If Morton gets cut, I'd rather sign someone who is better than Hakim and more of a #1 or #2 type receiver than a slot guy, if there is such a guy available.

3. If Morton is gone, I believe he MUST be replaced by another veteran.

4. If Hakim is the only veteran out there to replace Morton with, then he's better than not replacing him at all, in my opinion.

I'm not here to say that Hakim is a great receiver. I'm just here to say that if we are going to cut Morton (which I am not necessarily in favor of), then he must be replaced. I'd prefer him be replaced by someone better than Hakim -- but who?

TRR
04-27-2005, 02:25 PM
That's my impression of him, too. Let me be clear about a few things.

1. I'd rather keep Johnnie Morton, unless we are signing someone clearly much better than him.

2. If Morton gets cut, I'd rather sign someone who is better than Hakim and more of a #1 or #2 type receiver than a slot guy, if there is such a guy available.

3. If Morton is gone, I believe he MUST be replaced by another veteran.

4. If Hakim is the only veteran out there to replace Morton with, then he's better than not replacing him at all, in my opinion.

I'm not here to say that Hakim is a great receiver. I'm just here to say that if we are going to cut Morton (which I am not necessarily in favor of), then he must be replaced. I'd prefer him be replaced by someone better than Hakim -- but who?

Johnnie Morton is a locker room cancer. I can't understand why people don't know this by now. He completely quit on the team in training camp last season because Vermeil stated that Boe and Morton would compete for the starting spot. Morton faked an injury, and only came back when Boe was deemed gone for the season. He just magically got better over night.

At the end of the season Morton completely quit on the team. If his name were Randy Moss, his play would have been scrutinized on every Sportscenter episode for a month. What does Morton do to rectify the situation this preseason? Skips the first set of workouts for no reason at all.

Morton is a complete c*ck to fans as well. Just a complete jerk. I would take 10 Az Hakim's over Morton any day. I don't care who replaces him, be it Parker, Boe, whoever....His time is up. Az Hakim could put up the same type of numbers Morton did here as a #2.

Chief Faithful
04-27-2005, 02:36 PM
As much as I like the ballsy play of Chris Horn and his continued improvement every year, I'd say that if Chris Horn makes this roster, it means that our WRs really, really suck. In the "depth chat in my head," I can't see Horn any higher than 8th.

Kennison
Morton/Hakim/other vet
Parker
Boerigter
Hall
Thorpe
Smith
Horn

You said it, Chris Horn has an approach and attitude that I wish all the WR's possesed, but bottom line is if Horn makes the roster it means the Chiefs are not getting better at WR.

If Smith and McIntyre are not better than Horn then they should be cut. Morton should be cut. Hakim should not be contracted. Thorpe should take the last spot. If they carry 6 receivers then it should go either to a June 1 pickup or either Smith or McIntyre. My understanding is McIntyre is playing very well in NFLE.

My list is:
Kennison
Parker
Boerigter
Hall
Thorpe
McIntyre, Smith, or June 1 pickup

eazyb81
04-27-2005, 03:03 PM
Johnnie Morton is a locker room cancer. I can't understand why people don't know this by now. He completely quit on the team in training camp last season because Vermeil stated that Boe and Morton would compete for the starting spot. Morton faked an injury, and only came back when Boe was deemed gone for the season. He just magically got better over night.

At the end of the season Morton completely quit on the team. If his name were Randy Moss, his play would have been scrutinized on every Sportscenter episode for a month. What does Morton do to rectify the situation this preseason? Skips the first set of workouts for no reason at all.

Morton is a complete c*ck to fans as well. Just a complete jerk. I would take 10 Az Hakim's over Morton any day. I don't care who replaces him, be it Parker, Boe, whoever....His time is up. Az Hakim could put up the same type of numbers Morton did here as a #2.

:bravo:

well said.

tomahawk kid
04-27-2005, 03:09 PM
I hope this is true, but it sure smells like speculation to me.

Mastashake
04-27-2005, 06:11 PM
I hate to sound skeptical, but why is it everyone thinks all these Chiefs recievers are all superstars unable to perform due to injury or age? I have a feeling a lot of these people who think Boerighter, Parker or Thorpe are going to be a pro-bowler are gonna be dissapointed. Not that I don't want them to, but I just don't get what makes them so different from the 3rd and 4th stringers from other teams.

I'm sorry I'm so negative, I just don't see the difference in what we got and Sylvester Morris and Snoop Minnis.

Mastashake

CosmicPal
04-27-2005, 06:16 PM
Don't want him. He's not better than a third wide-out which was proven when he went to the Lions to be a starter.

jcroft
04-27-2005, 06:25 PM
Don't want him. He's not better than a third wide-out which was proven when he went to the Lions to be a starter.

I think we all agree on this.

The question is, is he better than what we have? Assuming Morton is cut, I'd say he's proven more than every WR on our roster except Kennison.

philfree
04-27-2005, 06:26 PM
I hate to sound skeptical, but why is it everyone thinks all these Chiefs recievers are all superstars unable to perform due to injury or age? I have a feeling a lot of these people who think Boerighter, Parker or Thorpe are going to be a pro-bowler are gonna be dissapointed. Not that I don't want them to, but I just don't get what makes them so different from the 3rd and 4th stringers from other teams.

I'm sorry I'm so negative, I just don't see the difference in what we got and Sylvester Morris and Snoop Minnis.

Mastashake

I don't see anyone saying those guys are gonna be pro bowlers. All those guys have to do is replace Johnny Mortons production of about 700 yards and and handfull of TDs if we indeed cut him. If he takes a pay cut and wants to come to camp then I don't see why we'd cut him but he hasn't played near close to pro bowl level since he's been a Chief. Hakim ain't no pro bowl WR either. IMO Parker has a ton of upside and it's time to get him on the field. So does Thorpe but he's probably gonna have to learn from the bench as the season unfolds. Az Hakim will do nothing but stunt the growth of our young WRs. Kinda like what happened with Geg Hill and Marcus Allen. Yeah Allen was good but because of him Hill never really got a shot and it took how many years to fix that?

jcroft
04-27-2005, 06:31 PM
I don't see anyone saying those guys are gonna be pro bowlers. All those guys have to do is replace Johnny Mortons production of about 700 yards and and handfull of TDs if we indeed cut him.

But what makes you think any of them can even do that? I hope they can, but none of them have ever proven they can do this consistently. In fact, I don't think any of them have ever had a 700 yard season (Boe might have, especially considering he had a 99 yard TD catch. But he certainly hasn't done it consistently).

If he takes a pay cut and wants to come to camp then I don't see why we'd cut him but he hasn't played near close to pro bowl level since he's been a Chief. Hakim ain't no pro bowl WR either.

I agree with all of this.

IMO Parker has a ton of upside and it's time to get him on the field. So does Thorpe but he's probably gonna have to learn from the bench as the season unfolds.

I agree here, too. But how does bringing Az in prevent Parker from having a chance at getting on the field? Either way, he's going to have to earn his spot. If you think Az sucks so much and Parker is so great, then you must not be that worried Az will beat him out for the starting spot, right?

SAddinh Hakim will do nothing but stunt the growth of our young WRs.

Who?

How will he stunt their growth? He'll give them competition in camp. That can only help them, not hurt them. I want Parker to be the starter, but I want him to earn it, not have it handed to him.

philfree
04-27-2005, 06:50 PM
But what makes you think any of them can even do that? I hope they can, but none of them have ever proven they can do this consistently. In fact, I don't think any of them have ever had a 700 yard season (Boe might have, especially considering he had a 99 yard TD catch. But he certainly hasn't done it consistently).

I agree with all of this.

I agree here, too. But how does bringing Az in prevent Parker from having a chance at getting on the field? Either way, he's going to have to earn his spot. If you think Az sucks so much and Parker is so great, then you must not be that worried Az will beat him out for the starting spot, right?

Who?

How will he stunt their growth? He'll give them competition in camp. That can only help them, not hurt them. I want Parker to be the starter, but I want him to earn it, not have it handed to him.

First off there are no guarantees that Morton can reproduce his number from last year which was his best year by far as a Chief. There's no guarantee that Parker can produce as much but from what I've seen of him he has the ability to do so and he fits our O to a "T". Besides last year I watched him in a few college games one of which was his 160 yard performance where he was nothing short of incredible. That game coupled with his very limited playing time last year where he did make plays when given the chance makes me think he can and will play at least up to Morton's level last year. There are no guarantees but if we sit on our thumbs and don't find out we'll be watching Parker the same way we watch Joe Horn. On another team scoring TDs.

Second if we bring in Az it will simply take away from Parker and Thorpes reps and it may also say that our coaches don't have much confidence in Parker and IMO that's not a good thing right now. He paid his dues last year he needs a real shot this year. It's not like he ain't gonna give it his all because he thinks he has job security. He's yet to crack the lineup so my guess is he's gonna work his tail off regardless.

Iowanian
04-27-2005, 07:26 PM
Hakim is a slot WR with about 85% of the kick return talent of Dante Hall.

Thanks...but no thanks.

I'd prefer a WR.

Bowser
04-27-2005, 07:35 PM
Hell no. We already have Az Hakim, and his name is Samie Parker. Parker has the potential to be every bit as good as Hakim, he justs needs to have the chance to prove it.

Reaper16
04-27-2005, 07:58 PM
I think people are underestimating Caphonso Thorpe. When healthy, he was basically Troy Williamson. Same speed and hands. Right now, he's a few tenths of a second slower than Williamson, but could regain the rest. I think he might be the offensive sleeper of the whole draft.

jcroft
04-27-2005, 08:02 PM
I think people are underestimating Caphonso Thorpe. When healthy, he was basically Troy Williamson. Same speed and hands. Right now, he's a few tenths of a second slower than Williamson, but could regain the rest. I think he might be the offensive sleeper of the whole draft.

Great. Why don't we cut Kennison, too, then. Let's just throw Thorpe and Parker out there as our starters.

philfree
04-27-2005, 08:30 PM
Great. Why don't we cut Kennison, too, then. Let's just throw Thorpe and Parker out there as our starters.

ROFL No but do you realize how much speed we'll have on the field with both Parker and Thorpe on the field? Two 4.4 guys as the 2nd and 3rd WRs is smokin fast. Kennison is still fast and quick but he's lost his long speed but with those three guys on the field our WRs are very fast. Very inexperienced but very fast and dangerous.

Reaper16
04-27-2005, 08:42 PM
4.4? Nah, 4.35, baby!
I never said anything about cutting Kennison, or starting Thorpe. I'm just saying he'll surprise people. As for the main argument, I like Morton w/ a restructured contract over Az, if only for timing w/ Green.

KCinNY
04-27-2005, 08:49 PM
I say sign Az and Issac.

Morton is history. Kennison isn't exactly an all-pro. Bo is a huge question mark with his blown out knee. Parker ain't ready to be a starter. Dante is a kick returner. Thorpe is a middle round rookie. Horn is essentially a special teamer.

Hydrae
04-27-2005, 09:21 PM
The reason why Az would take away from the development of the younger guys is obvious. We all know how DV feels about "his players" and how hard it is for him to take off his homer glasses long enough to see that an Eric Hicks sucks. We bring in Hakim and he will be a starter whether he deserves it or not. By the time anybody can pull DVs head back outta Hakim's butt, the season will be a lost cause again.

Just say no to Hakim.

Mastashake
04-27-2005, 09:36 PM
The reason why Az would take away from the development of the younger guys is obvious. We all know how DV feels about "his players" and how hard it is for him to take off his homer glasses long enough to see that an Eric Hicks sucks. We bring in Hakim and he will be a starter whether he deserves it or not. By the time anybody can pull DVs head back outta Hakim's butt, the season will be a lost cause again.

Just say no to Hakim.

If that's the case he'll be here until DV leaves, and that's that. No sense in fighting it with your mentality.

And if it worked for other coaches, I'm all for DV picking favorites. I just don't think he should have any say about defensive players.

Mastashake

CoMoChief
04-27-2005, 09:39 PM
Man screw getting Az. I dont even wanna hear all of my STL friends (down at MU) bitching about how we stole all of their offensive philosophy and players and such. Az is no more better at WR than Dante Hall, theyre the same damn kinda player. Im tired of us getting these little small WR's. Parker is a lil thing too. All we need is another 5-9 5-10 WR that cant jump up and nag balls out of DB's hands.