PDA

View Full Version : Titans sign 36 undrafted free agents

Mr. Laz
04-27-2005, 11:25 AM
Titans sign 36 undrafted free agents

By Terry McCormick, tmccormick@nashvillecitypaper.com
April 26, 2005

When Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher was discussing the perceived pecking order of his three new rookie receiver draft picks, he was quick to say that draft status no longer mattered for Courtney Roby, Brandon Jones and Roydell Williams.

“It no longer matters where they were drafted,” Fisher said. “We’ll play the guys that can play and that are productive, that can learn and go out there and be productive.”

For the 36 undrafted free agents (UFAs) that latched on with the Titans Monday, the quote from Fisher should read, “It no longer matters if they were drafted …”

That’s the hope that those three dozen players just looking for a shot, no matter how long it is, are hanging on as they join Tennessee’s 11 draft picks in arriving later this week for orientation at Baptist Sports Park.

Among that group (see accompanying list) are some area players of interest that include Tennessee State running back Charles Anthony, Tennessee defensive end Karlton Neal and running back Corey Larkins, Kentucky quarterback Shane Boyd, Memphis fullback Robert Douglas and Lambuth offensive tackle Stefan Rodgers.

Barring forays into free agency or waiver wire pickups, some UFAs could have solid opportunities to land on the 53-man roster.

Even after the draft, the Titans had just three running backs and two quarterbacks on the roster. With only five wideouts, there could be room for another addition there, and another defensive lineman making the team is not out of the question.

One of the more interesting players among the undrafted group is Syracuse running back Walter Reyes, who fell all the way to undrafted status after a poor senior season in part because of a shoulder injury. That came on the heels of 1,347 yards and 20 touchdowns as a junior.

“We had a draftable grade on him and thought about taking him at one point,” Titans general manager Floyd Reese said. “… If he can get back to playing the way he did as a junior, we might have something.”

Quarterback Gino Guidugli of Cincinnati is another player the Titans had a draftable grade on who was considered with a pick Sunday.

The Titans also signed former LSU quarterback Marcus Randall.

Titans Undrafted Free Agents

Player School

WR Jason Anderson Wake Forest
RB Charles Anthony Tennessee State
LB Brian Atkinson Northern Illinois
DE Todd Bates Alabama
QB Shane Boyd Kentucky
WR Chris Bush Tulane
WR Vincent Cartwright Houston
DT Brandon Dabdoub Colorado
WR Ellis Debrow Delta State
FB Jimmy Dixon Georgia Tech
FB Robert Douglas Memphis
LB Nigel Eldridge Alabama-Birmingham
OL Mike Erickson Nebraska
QB Gino Guidugli Cincinnati
TE Ben Hall Clemson
CB Antoine Harris Louisville
LB Travis Harris Florida
DB Sindey Haugabrook Delaware
S Jamacia Jackson South Carolina
RB Terry Jackson Southern Illinois
WR Earvin Johnson UNLV
RB Corey Larkins Tennessee
DE Karlton Neal Tennessee
WR Alonzo Nix Chattanooga
QB Marcus Randall LSU
RB Walter Reyes Syracuse
T Stefan Rodgers Lambuth
C Joel Rodriguez Miami-Fl.
LB Robert Rodriguez Texas-El Paso
G Will Rogers Mississippi State
WR O.J. Small Florida
DE Kenneth Smith Benedict College
TE Jimmy St. Louis Murray State
CB Kevin Timothee Florida International
DT Marcus White Murray State
DE Alton Wright Miami-Fla.

Brock
04-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Looks like they'll be drafting number one next year.

Kylo Ren
04-27-2005, 11:28 AM
No wonder we only signe 6 UFA. The Titans signed all of the rest!!

Bob Dole
04-27-2005, 11:29 AM
It's good to see Bob Dole's guy's name...

Too bad it's in an article about the Titans.

jspchief
04-27-2005, 11:34 AM
Jeezuz...it's like high school tryout.

I'd be embrrassed to be a Titans fan right about now.

Mr. Laz
04-27-2005, 11:35 AM
not a bad strategy imo

the invest a relatively small about of money (30k each??) to bring in a ton of undrafted guys in hopes of catching a couple of good ones.

quantity to get quality

dirk digler
04-27-2005, 11:35 AM
This is what happens when you are in salary cap hell.

Saulbadguy
04-27-2005, 11:41 AM
All your undrafted free agents are belong to us.

ROYC75
04-27-2005, 12:04 PM
How in the hell can a they give all of those players equal time to shine ?

Seems like 1 fugg up and you are written off in that camp.

BTA, ya gotta have somebody to beat up on ! ROFL

Spicy McHaggis
04-27-2005, 12:07 PM
not a bad strategy imo

the invest a relatively small about of money (30k each??) to bring in a ton of undrafted guys in hopes of catching a couple of good ones.

quantity to get quality

I thought it was even less $$$ than that. I agree it isn't a bad strategy considering the situation they're in. Jeff's goanna need an economy pack of nametags though.

Amnorix
04-27-2005, 12:12 PM
How in the hell can a they give all of those players equal time to shine ?

That's definitely right. Alot of these guys will get cut quick because the players that are going to stick are going to need reps. Having 90 guys or whatever out there fighting for 45/53 slots isn't productive if it takes too long to winnow out most of the ones who are going to be there at the end.

CosmicPal
04-27-2005, 12:21 PM
That's 36 reasons to piss Boomer off.

Mr. Laz
04-27-2005, 12:40 PM
I thought it was even less $$$ than that. I agree it isn't a bad strategy considering the situation they're in. Jeff's goanna need an economy pack of nametags though.
i think it depends on how long they stay in camp

30k for staying the entire camp IIRC

badgirl
04-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Do you guys remember Al Delgrieco who used to be the field goal kicker for the Titans? He played like crap the last year he was with them, never heard from him again, anybody on here know? I'm glad he's gone, nobody probably ever picked him up.

Spicy McHaggis
04-27-2005, 12:56 PM
I just thought of what the Titans Rookie Camp is going to be like. Holy crap thats a lot of guys.

KChiefs1
04-27-2005, 12:59 PM
I'll be interested to see how many actually latched on with the Titans.

Ebolapox
04-27-2005, 05:52 PM
All your undrafted free agents are belong to us.

ROFL

that's repworthy

-EB-

philfree
04-27-2005, 05:59 PM
The Chiefs only signed six. That goes along with my thinking that we drafted 11 players and didn't need to many UDFA. Seems like we usually sign 10 plus of those guys. Now let's spend the rookie camp getting Johnson, Thorpe and Colquitt as ready as we can in a rookie mini camp.

PhilFree:arrow:

penchief
04-27-2005, 06:39 PM
On a side note, I sure wouldn't mind having Jeff Fisher come to KC after Vermiel retires.

Bob Dole
07-08-2005, 06:32 AM
It's good to see Bob Dole's guy's name...

Too bad it's in an article about the Titans.

It makes Bob Dole smile to see the kid getting good press already.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8624594

chagrin
07-08-2005, 06:56 AM
On a side note, I sure wouldn't mind having Jeff Fisher come to KC after Vermiel retires.

ROFL

Maybe he'll sign mike himerdinger as his Ofeensive coordinator, he'd do well with this offense

:p

whoman69
07-08-2005, 12:38 PM
They are going to have a long list for the first cut downs. They would have been better off getting players from NFLEL.

chagrin
07-08-2005, 12:39 PM
What do they do, sign 'em to a 3 day deal or something?