PDA

View Full Version : Boomer mystery???

Logical
04-28-2005, 09:04 PM
As a fan of the Chiefs and football in long standing (40+ years) I am mystifyied by all the excitement about Boomer. Am I missing out on some kind of inside joke. Is he this years Rich Scanlon? Come on folks fill me in.

Chieficus
04-28-2005, 09:05 PM
The guy's name is "Boomer" what more do you want???

ROYC75
04-28-2005, 09:07 PM
He is no Rich Scanlon. ROFL

Kclee
Yeah, this whole thing is starting out kind of like when we drafted Mitchell. I hope this one lives up to the hype though.

milkman
Jim,
Speaking formyself only, I don't have any expectation for Boomer other than as a STer.

However, you just have to love his interviews, and the mentality he projects.

I hope he has the talent to make the roster, just so we can get some interviews and soundbites from him occassionally.

He cracks me up!

Stinger
04-28-2005, 09:08 PM

Oh lord ... here we go :rolleyes: ROFL

ROYC75
04-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Ha Ha .......

The kid has alot of potential and a fiery engine many members have fell in love with.

I reserve the right to past judgement until I see him in action.

siberian khatru
04-28-2005, 09:11 PM
Jim,
Speaking formyself only, I don't have any expectation for Boomer other than as a STer.

I hope he has the talent to make the roster, just so we can get some interviews and soundbites from him occassionally.

He cracks me up!

SideWinder speaks for me, too. :thumb:

Rausch
04-28-2005, 09:13 PM
Everyone loves one underdog, longshot player or another. For some it was Bo, for Dole it was Dante, for others it was Maz.

I was a Stills fan myself. But you have to love the attitude of guys like Boomer and Maz. Guys who know their time is short and just want to **** somebody up...

ROYC75
04-28-2005, 09:13 PM
I could care less about interviews, I want football players on the field that makes the team better.

Again, he has alot of potential, speed,good head, etc. ,I'll wait to pass judgement when they hit the field.

Skip Towne
04-28-2005, 09:19 PM
Let's hope not.

Nzoner
04-28-2005, 09:22 PM
I just bumped TK's Boomer thread and have added all the Boomer thread links there that I know of.Kid has made a quite a splash in less than a week and like others I'm sold on the kid because of his attitude and the stories/interviews I've read.

If nothing else maybe we'll get a helluva ST player as well a sideline motivator for the rest of the team.

Logical
04-28-2005, 09:23 PM
Thanks for taking the question seriously. Seems there are several reasons for all the hype.

I must admit I am mystified by the fascination with the nickname Boomer.

tk13
04-28-2005, 09:24 PM
He's a cross between Lanier and Bobby Bell. Duh.

Skip Towne
04-28-2005, 09:25 PM
I really want the kid to make it. I love his attitude. But he is either very stupid or very naive. I don't know which yet. When the only school to offer him a scholarship, Illinois State, called, he told them he'd think about it. His high school coach hit the ceiling over that.

Bwana
04-28-2005, 09:25 PM
I'm pulling for the guy because I like his attitude. He is a kick in the pants.

keg in kc
04-28-2005, 09:29 PM
It's probably fair to call him an overachiever. Self-made kind of guy who's genuinely grateful for the opportunity and who you know will bust his ass to the limits of his ability. Combine that with his the 'blue collar' sort of charisma he has going for him when he's interviewed and I think he'd be a fan favorite just about anywhere.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-28-2005, 09:29 PM
I want football players on the field that makes the team better.

Then why are you such a big fan of Scanlon?

Iowanian
04-28-2005, 09:44 PM
My excitement is mostly for his attitute. The fact that he's a 250lb strength and speed machine who has 550+ tackles in college, and says he'll enjoy busting his helmets on Special teams until he earns his way......

He is respectful of his place on the team, but has some kind of fire that you just can't get a boyscout to build............

I look forward to him becoming a Special teams monster, and with the outside possibility that he works himself into being one of the Bash-Brothers with Allen and Johnson.

A small town, 250lb manimal....thats why he's going to be a fan favorite.

keg in kc
04-28-2005, 09:52 PM
He is respectful of his place on the team, but has some kind of fire that you just can't get a boyscout to build.............I think if I wasn't already half asleep, I'd point out just how "michael jackson" that bit could read.

Iowanian
04-28-2005, 10:04 PM
EEEEEEEH HEEEEEEEEEEE!

wildcat09
04-29-2005, 12:17 AM
I played with guys who had a similar attitude towards the game and it carries over to the other players and the fans. People just couldn't wait to see how many people they were going to take out on the next kickoff/ kickoff return or punt. thats were they made their contributions and you can't coach that kind of attitude, strength, or speed.

HolmeZz
04-29-2005, 12:29 AM
I hope he boots Scanlon off the roster.

melbar
04-29-2005, 12:34 AM
I think its all about attitude. He has all the physical skills , and he dominated at the 1-aa level. LOts of tackles , likes to hit hard. Thats the attitude our D needs more of.

farmerchief
04-29-2005, 05:40 AM
Thanks for taking the question seriously. Seems there are several reasons for all the hype.

I must admit I am mystified by the fascination with the nickname Boomer.

I wonder if there would be this much excitement, if his nickname was...... "Betsy"??
farmerchief

BigRedChief
04-29-2005, 06:43 AM
Everyone loves one underdog, longshot player or another. For some it was Bo, for Dole it was Dante, for others it was Maz.

I was a Stills fan myself. But you have to love the attitude of guys like Boomer and Maz. Guys who know their time is short and just want to **** somebody up...

What he said. :clap:

teedubya
04-29-2005, 06:47 AM
Apparently, there are a lot of closet cases who are really just in love with his musk-scles.

teedubya
04-29-2005, 06:48 AM
Whooo!

Chiefnj
04-29-2005, 07:41 AM
People love his blue-collar/lunch pail type attitude and the fact he is a scrapper. Kind of like Maz a few years ago. If history repeats itself, Boomer will be well loved; until he hits the field and doesn't make a play covering a TE - then he'll suck and be another horrible draft pick until the next white hope comes along.

Idahored
04-29-2005, 07:45 AM
His appeal to me is his attitude and potential. He reminds me a lot of Allen. They played at the same level, were one and two for Butkis award which Allen won. He has the same feel that Allen had and Allen became a starter. I see the same potential.

Does that mean I think he will make as far as Allen has? Who knows. I think he has a 50/50 chance, maybe a little less. One thing that I do know, I can't wait to see him and Allen running down covering punts and kicks. Allen was great at it and I believe Boomer will be too. If that is all we get out of him, well that will be worth the hype to me.

ct
04-29-2005, 07:46 AM
Jim,

He cracks me up!

Ditto

ROYC75
04-29-2005, 07:48 AM
I hope he boots Scanlon off the roster.

Why ?

Rich has talent, he's quick, has football sense and awareness ,he's young and can be around for a long time .

So I ask why ?

the Talking Can
04-29-2005, 07:54 AM
I hope the first time he meets Scanlong he says "Rich, I am your father."

the Talking Can
04-29-2005, 07:54 AM
Why ?

Rich has talent, he's quick, has football sense and awareness ,he's young and can be around for a long time .

So I ask why ?

cat fight!

redbrian
04-29-2005, 08:05 AM
Boomer is a throw back to the old days of football.

I could easily see this kid playing football for next to no money and working a job to support himself, and enjoying every moment.

He is a breath of fresh air over the typical kid coming in who only is interested in the money.

ROYC75
04-29-2005, 08:08 AM
Boomer is a throw back to the old days of football.

I could easily see this kid playing football for next to no money and working a job to support himself, and enjoying every moment.

He is a breath of fresh air over the typical kid coming in who only is interested in the money.

I sensed that as well......

He is of a different moled, old school .

dtebbe
04-29-2005, 09:12 AM
As a fan of the Chiefs and football in long standing (40+ years) I am mystifyied by all the excitement about Boomer. Am I missing out on some kind of inside joke. Is he this years Rich Scanlon? Come on folks fill me in.

Hey, I saw Rich Scanlon make a goaline stop in NFLE last weekend. He is a stud!

DT

morphius
04-29-2005, 09:50 AM
Vlad - Maybe you are not a little excited about him because you are having a lot more trouble putting your heart into the team after last season, and the string of seasons before that. Not a question of your fandom, just trying to state a fact.

As for Boomer, for me it is just that everything I have really heard about the guy has been positive. You hear from his coaches that if he perceived there was any issue in his play, that he would work on it to try to fix it. He comes of very level headed, but at that same time has that cocky, I wanna bust someone up and nobody is going to get my way, boxer attitude that I love to see from a D player.

Who knows if he will make the team, or even be the ST stud that some hope he can be. But from the sound of it, he is what I want every player to be like.

Eleazar
04-29-2005, 09:52 AM
Have any of the people pimping this guy ever seen him play?

I'm sure that I could come up with some good quotes, but that don't mean the chiefs need a 180lb linebacker.

KC Dan
04-29-2005, 09:52 AM
Hey, I saw Rich Scanlon make a goaline stop in NFLE last weekend. He is a stud!

DT
Hey, last weekend I saw Scanlon get shoved back 7 yards at the goaline for the first of three rushing td's against him that i saw.

whoman69
04-29-2005, 10:12 AM
I better not say anything. Iowanian might think I'm being negative again.

Gravedigger
04-29-2005, 10:23 AM
His quotes are hilarious, he's a hitter, and he's cut like chisled michalangelo marble! But we are overhyping him a bit for not being able to see his footage or anything but I think that he loves the fact that the city is already raving about him.

Iowanian
04-29-2005, 10:46 AM
I better not say anything. Iowanian might think I'm being negative again.

Then add "poosy" to the list, after Whining Nag.

Logical
04-29-2005, 10:47 AM
Vlad - Maybe you are not a little excited about him because you are having a lot more trouble putting your heart into the team after last season, and the string of seasons before that. Not a question of your fandom, just trying to state a fact.

As for Boomer, for me it is just that everything I have really heard about the guy has been positive. You hear from his coaches that if he perceived there was any issue in his play, that he would work on it to try to fix it. He comes of very level headed, but at that same time has that cocky, I wanna bust someone up and nobody is going to get my way, boxer attitude that I love to see from a D player.

Who knows if he will make the team, or even be the ST stud that some hope he can be. But from the sound of it, he is what I want every player to be like.

Just to clear something up, I am not disappointed with the Boomer pick, I just am not seeing what has got him gathering so much attention. A decent pick in the late rounds who should hopefully help out on special teams. I tend not to read a lot into interviews unless the guy comes across dumb as stump which has not been the case for Boomer.

morphius
04-29-2005, 11:11 AM
Just to clear something up, I am not disappointed with the Boomer pick, I just am not seeing what has got him gathering so much attention. A decent pick in the late rounds who should hopefully help out on special teams. I tend not to read a lot into interviews unless the guy comes across dumb as stump which has not been the case for Boomer.
I didn't think you were disappointed with the pick.

Most interviews are pretty hollow, hell most the articles about the Chiefs are as well. But from everything written in articles and said on the radio, it sounds like this guy was really the team leader and even advertised as such in all of the schools football promotions. If a guy can deal with that kind of weight on his shoulders in college, still strive to become more of a complete player, and still have a fire to knock the crap out of everyone on the other team, well, then I there is at least a slight chance that you can be a real gamer.

Chief Faithful
04-29-2005, 11:31 AM
Boomer reminds me of a younger, faster, and stronger Greg Manusky. Great on special teams and very good defense in the Redzone. My hope for this year is he makes a big contribution on special teams and his attitude infects the defense as a whole.

Ultra Peanut
04-29-2005, 11:35 AM
I'm sure that I could come up with some good quotes, but that don't mean the chiefs need a 180lb linebacker.But a fast, athletic 250-pounder who looks like he was chiseled out of stone?

unlurking
04-29-2005, 12:13 PM
I think a lot of people are seeing the same attitude Jared Allen had, and hoping that was what made him have such a great rookie season.

Frosty
04-29-2005, 12:44 PM
After reading Boomer's interviews, I think he reminds me of Chris Spielman, the old Lions/Bills LB, in that he is enthusiastic and humble, yet very confident. He seems like he has the same lunch-pail type attitude that Spielman did.

I have no idea if he can play, but at least his attitude is refreshing.

patteeu
04-29-2005, 12:52 PM
Boomer mystery???

Come on folks fill me in.

As far as I know, Boomer Grigsby was the top rated trampoline jumper in the draft. How he slipped to the 5th round, I'll never understand. Guys who would have trouble doing a simple forward flip with a half twist were going off the board like crazy in day 1. Hell, I'm not even sure Mike Nugent and Maurice Clarrett can mount a trampoline, much less figure out how to keep their balance while bouncing. If Boomer ever gets on the field and makes a big play, he just might do a standing backflip. Now do you understand? This is no mystery.

Ultra Peanut
04-29-2005, 01:04 PM
As far as I know, Boomer Grigsby was the top rated trampoline jumper in the draft. How he slipped to the 5th round, I'll never understand. Guys who would have trouble doing a simple forward flip with a half twist were going off the board like crazy in day 1. Hell, I'm not even sure Mike Nugent and Maurice Clarrett can mount a trampolineI can mount anything, as long as it stays still for a couple of seconds!

Nzoner
04-29-2005, 01:14 PM
His quotes are hilarious, he's a hitter, and he's cut like chisled michalangelo marble! But we are overhyping him a bit for not being able to see his footage or anything but I think that he loves the fact that the city is already raving about him.

FWIW,
here's a couple of Bears fans that apparently have seen him play (http://bears.hosttown.com/lofiversion/index.php/t39521.html)

I brought up Boomer Grigsby in another post... I live down state and went to a few ISU games and this kid can play!!! He is a fast read, always know where the ball is, good fundamental tackler....

He was Middle at ISU but could be moved outside... he is from Illinois and I heard he is a Bear fan what else do you need?

jcroft
04-29-2005, 01:18 PM
It is a bit insane how excited some people around here get. I, too, love Boomer's interviews and he seems to have all the measurables going for him. I think it sounds like a good pick for the Chiefs, but the reality is that I've never seen him play a single down of football at any level (and I bet most here haven't, either). I'm rooting for him because he seems like a great kid, but to have any expectations for him other than playing on special teams is a bit absurd.

But it happens every year. I'm used to it by now. :)

Brock
04-29-2005, 01:20 PM
A lot of people were doing cartwheels over Kawika Mitchell as well.

Hell, I'm not even convinced Derrick Johnson will be worth a popcorn fart.

AirForceChief
04-29-2005, 01:32 PM
A lot of people were doing cartwheels over Kawika Mitchell as well.

Hell, I'm not even convinced Derrick Johnson will be worth a popcorn fart.

But wait!! Don't forget...I mean...what about...awwww forget it:

LB RICH SCANLON (Kansas City Chiefs) leads Berlin with 32 tackles after adding a team-high 8 last week. Has led the Thunder in tackles in every game this season…

Nzoner
04-29-2005, 01:38 PM
But a fast, athletic 250-pounder who looks like he was chiseled out of stone?

One more time because I like the pic.

The kid has got some guns

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper420/stills/849608u0.jpg

Demonpenz
04-29-2005, 01:45 PM
One more time because I like the pic.

The kid has got some guns

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper420/stills/849608u0.jpg

it's been awhile since i seen anyone wearing a red jersey making a tackle

Logical
04-29-2005, 01:57 PM
As far as I know, Boomer Grigsby was the top rated trampoline jumper in the draft. How he slipped to the 5th round, I'll never understand. Guys who would have trouble doing a simple forward flip with a half twist were going off the board like crazy in day 1. Hell, I'm not even sure Mike Nugent and Maurice Clarrett can mount a trampoline, much less figure out how to keep their balance while bouncing. If Boomer ever gets on the field and makes a big play, he just might do a standing backflip. Now do you understand? This is no mystery.ROFL

milkman
04-29-2005, 06:24 PM
I could care less about interviews, I want football players on the field that makes the team better.

Again, he has alot of potential, speed,good head, etc. ,I'll wait to pass judgement when they hit the field.

This is why I said I hope he has the talent.
If he can't help us on the field, then I don't care if he's a cross between Lewis Black and George Carlin in interviews.

But if he does have the talent, then I'm looking forward to those interviews.

Skip Towne
04-29-2005, 06:52 PM
I can mount anything, as long as it stays still for a couple of seconds!
I'll bet that's right. I was like that too at your age.