PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs give Heisman Trophy winner a look

C-Mac
04-28-2005, 09:27 PM
Chiefs give Heisman Trophy winner a look

DOUG TUCKER

Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Jason White, who won the Heisman Trophy at Oklahoma but was snubbed in the NFL draft, is being given a chance by the Kansas City Chiefs.

White and other undrafted rookies will join the drafted players in a minicamp this weekend. White, who has not signed a contract, will be given a chance to show what he can do.

After the draft last Sunday, Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil and general manager Carl Peterson appeared to disagree on White's potential. "Carl felt the kid deserved a chance to work in a rookie camp so we brought him in," Vermeil said Thursday.

White threw for 8,012 yards and 81 touchdowns at Oklahoma, winning the 2003 Heisman and taking the Sooners to consecutive national championship games in 2003 and '04.

However, many scouts felt his arm was not strong enough for the NFL. He also has had major reconstructive surgery on both knees.

But when he won the Heisman in 2003, he threw for 3,946 yards and 40 TDs. Last year he finished third in Heisman balloting.

"We're excited that Jason has an opportunity to pursue his goals and know that he'll make the most of this opportunity," Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said in a statement.

"He has proven time and again that he can succeed at the highest level. He earned this shot at professional football and I like the fact that Carl Peterson, Dick Vermeil and the Chiefs recognize that too. In getting to know him so well and in watching him go about his business here, there is nobody that I have been associated with during my career that I respect more or am more proud of than Jason White."

When Vermeil was asked on Sunday why no one had drafted White, he said simply that the NFL "didn't evaluate him as talented enough to play at this level."

"He's been successful, but there have been a lot of college quarterbacks who have been successful and won Heisman Trophies and everything else who didn't play in the NFL," Vermeil said at the time. "He's no less a person. He's still an outstanding young man."

But Peterson made it clear that he admired White.

"I'm not sure he can't play in the National Football League," said the Chiefs' GM, who said he met White presenting him an award. "He's an extraordinary young man. You can't count him out. He's as tough-minded as anybody and he's had some great stats."

The Chiefs drafted Tulsa quarterback James Kilian on the second day of the draft.

Sure-Oz
04-28-2005, 09:31 PM
We should've used a 3rd rounder on him, he would've been a great value pick, i guess it's a nice consoloation prize to sign him as UFA....where are the press conferences on ESPN??

Uncle Fester
04-28-2005, 09:35 PM
White is nominal at best. He has proven that where the rubber meets the road, he melts. He has a habit of not existing when it matters.

He is nothing more than fodder for the OU fans. :shake:

nychief
04-28-2005, 09:50 PM
Have the Chiefs ever had TWO heisman winners to a camp before? I doubt it.

GMitch
04-28-2005, 09:54 PM
OU bombed in both national championship games but that was a team failure, not an individual one.

If you live in Oklahoma you soon know that there isn't any game with any more pressure than the Texas game, not even a national championship. Ask any Texas fan (ask DJ!) how White handled pressure. He tore Texas a new one, twice.

The only negatives I've seen in any of the scouting reports on him are he's not a scrambler and he doesn't have the strongest arm around. Everything else is very positive: pocket presence, reading defenses, will stand in and make the throw, very accurate on short and intermediate throws.

I think he might surprise some people.