PDA

View Full Version : AP Story About White and Chiefs Mini-Camp

nychief
04-29-2005, 05:13 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heisman Trophy winner Jason White goes through his paces
By DOUG TUCKER

BC-FBN--Chiefs-White,0702
Heisman Trophy winner Jason White goes through his paces

By DOUG TUCKER

AP Sports Writer

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- On a weekend that could be the last of his football career, Jason White's humble spirit is doing him a lot more good than his Heisman Trophy.

There he was at the Kansas City Chiefs' rookie camp Friday morning, working in an unfamiliar system, throwing to receivers he barely knew and auditioning for a head coach who had publicly expressed doubts about him.

But at least he was in an NFL setting, working out for NFL coaches.

"I can do the best I can do and if it ain't good enough to play here then I don't deserve to play here," said the quarterback who took Oklahoma to consecutive national championship games.

"I'm going to give it my best shot and see where it goes from here."

While 14 quarterbacks were taken in the NFL draft last weekend, the winner of the 2003 Heisman Trophy was ignored.

White threw for more yards last year (3,205) than the overall No. 1 pick, Alex Smith (2,952). But nobody even offered to sign him as a rookie free agent.

He was actually surprised Kansas City called to invite him to rookie camp.

"Not getting a free agent deal kind of frustrated me," White said. "I was just looking for an opportunity. The coaches here decided to give me a shot and I'm grateful."

Asked if this was "one more chapter" in a career that's included reconstructive surgery on both knees, White smiled and said, "Let's hope so."

"I played for two years without them being hurt," he said of his knees. "Everybody I talked to said, `You might not even pass our physical.' That was disheartening. I had pretty much written off the whole NFL thing."

The other quarterback at the three-day camp did get drafted -- in the seventh round from Tulsa. White and James Kilian only had met at various banquets, took turns running plays and taking instruction and straining to make a good impression.

"It's kind of ironic," said Kilian, whose Tulsa career was dwarfed by White and the Sooners.

"It's weird how things work out," Kilian said.

How well the quarterbacks did was hard to gauge. Many passes went sailing over, behind and even through the hands of the receivers. But nobody knows the system very well and mistakes were made on both ends of the passing game.

"If they throw the ball and the receiver turns in the wrong direction, that makes it tough on the quarterbacks," said head coach Dick Vermeil. "I thought (White) did fine. They'll get better by Sunday."

Terry Shea, the Chiefs' quarterback coach, was kind.

"Jason, I can see why he was special in his own right because he really has great fluidity in his footwork," he said. "But what I really liked about James was the velocity on his ball today. I didn't know if he'd have quite the snap on the ball as I remember when I worked him out."

Many scouts felt White's arm was not strong enough for the NFL. But unlike speed, arm strength can be improved on.

"I'd have to say, when Drew Brees came out of college I thought his arm strength was very similar to Jason's," Shea said.

"It's certainly done. It's how you snap the ball more; it's how you get more pronation on the ball and hip action. Jason's had to spend a lot of his offseasons rehabbing. If he had a couple of years in a row where he could strengthen the mechanics of his hips and his core, he could probably find arm strength galore in terms of improvement."

As a draftee, Kilian is likely to stay with Kansas City at least until training camp in July. All White can do is concentrate this weekend and hope for the best. If he passes muster, there'll be a rookie free agent contract and another opportunity to continue what would be a long road to the NFL.

He knows what he needs to demonstrate.

"That I can just play, that I can play at this level, I can make the throws the NFL quarterbacks throw," he said. "That's all I need to show: is that I can play at this level. If I can do that, I'll find a spot.

"If I can't, I don't deserve to find a spot."

ROYC75
04-29-2005, 05:49 PM
Anybody want to place odds on this one ?

CosmicPal
04-29-2005, 05:54 PM
Anybody want to place odds on this one ?

100,00 - 1

big nasty kcnut
04-29-2005, 05:55 PM
2,500,000-1 he make the team.

Hammock Parties
04-29-2005, 05:56 PM
I still think White will make this team. You don't throw 80 touchdowns in two season of college ball without some ability.

Cannibal
04-29-2005, 06:01 PM
I really don't like White. I mean, I usually like to pull for the underdog, but he was overhyped throughout college. He has a noodle arm and there is a reason that 32 nfl teams decided that he wasn't even worth a 7th round draft pick or free agent contract.

Hammock Parties
04-29-2005, 06:06 PM
I really don't like White. I mean, I usually like to pull for the underdog, but he was overhyped throughout college. He has a noodle arm and there is a reason that 32 nfl teams decided that he wasn't even worth a 7th round draft pick or free agent contract.

I found this post you made back in 1993:

I really don't like Green. I mean, I usually like to pull for the underdog, but he was overhyped throughout college. He has a noodle arm and there is a reason that 28 nfl teams decided that he wasn't even worth a 7th round draft pick.

Braincase
04-29-2005, 06:09 PM
I still think White will make this team. You don't throw 80 touchdowns in two season of college ball without some ability.

I'm more concerned with what Kilian did with nothing over what White did with everything, the moon and two boxes of unopened chiclets.

Cripes, if I needed an emergency QB, I'm signing Crouch at safety, then using the remaining roster spot for an additional defensive player (if that's allowed).

Cannibal
04-29-2005, 06:13 PM
Go get your jerk on to Episode II as a build up to Episode III and stop wasting my time puss.

BigVE
04-29-2005, 06:18 PM
I'm more concerned with what Kilian did with nothing over what White did with everything, the moon and two boxes of unopened chiclets.

Cripes, if I needed an emergency QB, I'm signing Crouch at safety, then using the remaining roster spot for an additional defensive player (if that's allowed).

EXACTLY my thoughts. Crouch was 10 times as fast/mobile as Jason White with his own "noodle" arm...dont waste a spot on a guy who would only have a chance if 3 other guys in front of him went down. All this being said, I hope the kids ends up making it SOMEWHERE.

Hammock Parties
04-29-2005, 06:21 PM
Go get your jerk on to Episode II as a build up to Episode III and stop wasting my time puss.

Jeez...simmer down there. I wasn't trying to be nasty or anything.

Skip Towne
04-29-2005, 06:24 PM
Where the hell did you find a post from 1993? Certainly not on this board.

Hammock Parties
04-29-2005, 06:28 PM
Where the hell did you find a post from 1993? Certainly not on this board.

www.gochiefs.com

Skip Towne
04-29-2005, 06:34 PM
www.gochiefs.com
Yeah right. When you were 11 years old?

Hammock Parties
04-29-2005, 06:39 PM
Yeah right. When you were 11 years old?

tk13
04-29-2005, 06:53 PM
I'm not sure there's any corrolation between that and NFL success. There are a lot of great college QB's who don't make it. He was playing with 3 WR's who were drafted fairly high this year, and last year played with a RB that is out of this world. When they played USC and USC had the speed to cover everybody, White was awful. Maybe with years and years of experience he can get better, maybe he has the chance to be like Trent Green, but even then that's tough to call because the Chiefs are Trent's 4th team. It'd be tough to hold onto somebody for 7-10 years hoping he comes around.

Hammock Parties
04-29-2005, 06:57 PM
I'm not sure there's any corrolation between that and NFL success. There are a lot of great college QB's who don't make it. He was playing with 3 WR's who were drafted fairly high this year, and last year played with a RB that is out of this world. When they played USC and USC had the speed to cover everybody, White was awful. Maybe with years and years of experience he can get better, maybe he has the chance to be like Trent Green, but even then that's tough to call because the Chiefs are Trent's 4th team. It'd be tough to hold onto somebody for 7-10 years hoping he comes around.

I just hope White gets to play in preseason. I have more confidence in him than the last Oklahoma QB that came out (Heupel, who really DID have an amazingly weak arm).

Skip Towne
04-29-2005, 08:24 PM
I just hope White gets to play in preseason. I have more confidence in him than the last Oklahoma QB that came out (Heupel, who really DID have an amazingly weak arm).
White and Heupel both have weak arms. Read the thread header where they talk about improving White's arm. Heupel got a couple of tryouts with NFL teams but bombed. Even the CFL wasn't interested. I read in the Tulsa paper the other day that OU gave Heupel some minor asst. coaching job.

Mecca
04-29-2005, 08:35 PM
well,I'm not a big fan of Jason White personally but I will say Chad Pennington has a noodle arm and he's playing in the NFL.

Skip Towne
04-29-2005, 08:45 PM
well,I'm not a big fan of Jason White personally but I will say Chad Pennington has a noodle arm and he's playing in the NFL.
You see a QB get by with it once in awhile usually because they are exceptional in other areas like mobility. Rich Gannon is a case in point. What other areas does White excel in? Bad knees?

Cannibal
04-29-2005, 08:48 PM

Goat Cheese thinks that White is Luke fuking Skywalker.

Hammock Parties
04-29-2005, 08:58 PM
Goat Cheese thinks that White is Luke fuking Skywalker.

He is the chosen one.

Cannibal
04-29-2005, 09:08 PM
He is the chosen one.

He might as well be. I wonder what that makes DJ in your eyes? With your fuking sig and such.

Hammock Parties
04-29-2005, 09:16 PM
He might as well be. I wonder what that makes DJ in your eyes? With your fuking sig and such.

I'm just celebrating his arrival.

craneref
04-29-2005, 10:19 PM
Maybe I am missing something, but we get Jason White to come in and work out for a chance, a "CHANCE" to get a contract offer and that is somehow bad. I too am not a big Jason White fan, but he seems like he has a good attitude and di put up good numbers. I have heard the USC argument but the Trojans did that to a lot of good teams and decnet QB's. I personally hopes he surprises everybody and excells, because it has been way to long since we have had a young QB to be excited about as CHIEFS fans. I keep remembering that Priest was an Undrafted FA also, with lots of doubts and a serious knee injury, and he seems to be doing alright, GO CHIEFS.

Hammock Parties
04-29-2005, 10:33 PM
I keep remembering that Priest was an Undrafted FA also, with lots of doubts and a serious knee injury, and he seems to be doing alright, GO CHIEFS.

HUZZAH!

philfree
04-29-2005, 11:39 PM
Screw this "White" bs I want a play by play account of what DJ and Boomer did. Thorpe and Hodge as well as Colquitt. Fuggin Ted White :)

PhilFree:arrow:

alanm
04-30-2005, 12:51 AM
EXACTLY my thoughts. Crouch was 10 times as fast/mobile as Jason White with his own "noodle" arm...dont waste a spot on a guy who would only have a chance if 3 other guys in front of him went down. All this being said, I hope the kids ends up making it SOMEWHERE.
Actually Crouch has a decent arm. He doesn't throw the sideline outs very well or over the middle but he does throw a nice deep ball. His knock is that he's not tall enough. He's only 6'. I thought he would have been better off as a RB. He hits a crack through the LOS he's gone.

alanm
04-30-2005, 12:54 AM
That tends to happen when you play with a torn rotator cuff.

htismaqe
04-30-2005, 05:58 AM
Maybe I am missing something, but we get Jason White to come in and work out for a chance, a "CHANCE" to get a contract offer and that is somehow bad. I too am not a big Jason White fan, but he seems like he has a good attitude and di put up good numbers. I have heard the USC argument but the Trojans did that to a lot of good teams and decnet QB's. I personally hopes he surprises everybody and excells, because it has been way to long since we have had a young QB to be excited about as CHIEFS fans. I keep remembering that Priest was an Undrafted FA also, with lots of doubts and a serious knee injury, and he seems to be doing alright, GO CHIEFS.

I don't think anybody is saying it's BAD.

It's just a waste of time.