PDA

View Full Version : KCStar-CHIEFS NOTES: Rookie camp

C-Mac
04-30-2005, 08:22 AM
CHIEFS NOTES: Rookie camp

The Kansas City Star

Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil said 42 players showed up for Friday's rookie camp, and more than half of them are here for a tryout.

Most of them are long shots to stick with the team past the weekend. But Vermeil said there have been some rookie-camp success stories. Running back Ronnie Cruz made the practice squad last year, and receiver Richard Smith suited up against Denver.

“I'm sure there will be a few kids who we will end up signing out of this group,” Vermeil said, “but it's too early after one practice to start guessing who it will be.”

Because of the perform-or-go-home atmosphere, Vermeil said there was an abundance of jitters Friday.

“There were some kids who you can tell were very nervous,” he said. “They ran out of gas before they even got going, and they're in good shape. They're exhausted. Nervous energy.”

HERE COMES BOOMER

Linebacker James “Boomer” Grigsby was not among the nervous ones. Grigsby, a fifth-round pick from Illinois State, kept reporters amused with more soundbites.

Grigsby said he loves defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham and he still gets goose bumps around big names like Vermeil and running back Priest Holmes.

Speaking of linebackers, Vermeil said first-round pick Derrick Johnson looks as good as advertised.

“He moves so gracefully and chases things down,” Vermeil said.

NAME GAME

The secret to wide receiver Craphonso Thorpe's name was unveiled Friday.

Thorpe's father decided to blend his first and middle names, Craig and Alphonso.

C-Mac
04-30-2005, 08:32 AM
So I wonder, is it pronounced "Crayfonzo"?

ct
04-30-2005, 08:36 AM
There's a guy, Craig Alphonso Thorpe, who just didn't think that one all the way through.

Glad to hear Boomer wasn't one of the jitters guys. Seems like he just takes everything as it comes, like him more and more. Here's hoping he can back up his talk on the STs, and earn himself a solid spot on the weekly active roster.

htismaqe
04-30-2005, 09:16 AM
So I wonder, is it pronounced "Crayfonzo"?

That's how Chuck Cook was pronouncing it on the radio yesterday.

HolyHandgernade
04-30-2005, 10:06 AM
My wife and I did something similar when we got married. She had a daughter who was seven at the time and they had been used to their last name, Clements, all their lives. We wanted everyone to have the same last name, especially if we had more children (we eventually had another son). My last name was Smith, so we morphed the two together into Clementsmith and changed it through the Social Security system and common use law. A bit of a mouthful to say, but we really enjoy the uniqueness of it. That way each side of the family is still represented and instead of one or the other sacrificing their past identity, we share them with one another.

Sorry, getting kinda corny now. How 'bout them Chiefs, huh! :clap:

-HH

Bob Dole
04-30-2005, 10:45 AM
Craphonso should hunt down that girl born at Providence St. Margaret whose wonderful mother named her Urine.

(Pronounced Yer-EYE-na.)

Bowser
04-30-2005, 10:54 AM
Craphonso should hunt down that girl born at Providence St. Margaret whose wonderful mother named her Urine.

(Pronounced Yer-EYE-na.)

That girl is going to make some shrink very happy someday.

shaneo69
04-30-2005, 10:55 AM
I wish KCChiefs.com or the Star would report who the other invited, but not yet signed, players are. DV was quoted as saying there were at least 21 players besides Jason White trying out at this camp. Who are they?

kc-nd
04-30-2005, 06:46 PM
So what if you dad's name was Don Bjork Johnson - would you name your son Dork?

So what if you dad's name was Stuart Cupid Larson - would you name your son Stupid?

So what if your dad's name was Don Kip Jones - would you name your son Dip?

So what if you dad's name was Duminique Tommy Johnson - would you name your son Dummy? (I spelled Duminique wrong to make this work out the way that I wanted to)