PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Greg Hill giving back to the game

tk13
05-01-2005, 01:27 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/11533979.htm

Greg Hill is giving back to the game
JASON WHITLOCK

Saturday afternoon, as Derrick Johnson took another baby step toward becoming an NFL player, Greg Hill and Carl Peterson shared a long embrace along the sideline of the practice field Johnson was patrolling.

“Young man, you still look like you can play,” Peterson said to Hill.

“Young man, you still look good,” Hill said to Peterson.

Peterson and Hill then broke into an extended catch-up chat, asking about each other's families, careers and mutual friends. And then the conversation turned to Derrick Johnson, the Chiefs' No. 1 draft pick, the linebacker from the University of Texas. Working for Fox Sports, Hill covered many of Johnson's Longhorns games as a color analyst.

“He could be another Derrick Thomas,” Hill told Peterson. “He's a good kid, articulate and a good person.”

“We think he can maybe be a little bit of Derrick Thomas and little bit of Donnie Edwards,” Peterson said.

Forget what you've heard from Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil, the Chiefs justifiably have astronomical expectations for the player they snagged with the 15th pick in the draft. Obviously the Chiefs don't want Johnson swallowed by those expectations. That's one of the reasons the Chiefs contracted with Troupe21, a consulting firm that specializes in counseling young professional athletes on transitioning into the athletic and real work forces.

Hill and the president of Troupe21, Guy Troupe, were here Friday and Saturday to put on a two-day, no-holds-barred seminar for the players participating in the Chiefs' three-day rookie camp. Troupe, former senior director of NFL player and employee development, is the visionary behind Troupe21. He believes the leadership model and principles that drive diverse sports teams can be implemented in all workplaces. Troupe partners with former players such as Hill to get the Troupe21 message out.

The message to athletes basically is: A career in professional sports is very brief, and it's best that players maximize every networking and business opportunity that is presented.

“We can say things that maybe the organization is uncomfortable saying,” Troupe explained, standing on the sideline looking out at the 40 or so KC rookie tryouts. “Look, 95 percent of these guys will never make it. So now it becomes, ‘What are they going to do from here?' We can talk with them about that. And then, because of my experience with the league and the players' experience, we can tell a guy like D.J. (Derrick Johnson) what to expect and how to deal with it.”

Hill, now 33, knows exactly what Johnson is about to experience. The 25th overall pick of the 1994 draft, Hill was supposed to be the running-back savior for the Chiefs. At the time Hill was plucked out of Texas A&M, the Chiefs had a terrific defense and were looking for an offensive spark.

Hill, as you know, never quite got on the right side of then-Chiefs coach Marty Schottenheimer. Hill played here four years and then played a year each with the Rams and Lions. He was never a regular starter in the NFL.

“You know, Jason says you're one of my many draft busts,” Peterson inappropriately joked with Hill along the sideline Saturday.

Hill is certainly an off-the-field success. He's vice president of accounts for Reef Securities out of Richardson, Texas; he does color commentary for Fox Sports during the college football season; and he speaks to players for Troupe21. He talked with the Chiefs' rookies for two hours Friday and was scheduled to meet with them again Saturday.

“I heard you wowed 'em (Friday night),” Dick Vermeil said as he hugged Hill.

“By the end of the night, I felt like I was at a nightclub, I had so many phone numbers passed to me,” Hill said, referring the players' reactions.

Hill later told me, “We spent a lot of time talking about learning how to say no. That's the No. 1 thing D.J. will have to learn. Every time you say no, you're really saying yes to yourself. It's hard to say no to your family and your close friends. But you have to do it. There's so much pressure and so many responsibilities.”

Hill said it wasn't until his fifth year in the league that he realized he needed to take control of his career. After failing with the Chiefs, Hill began preparing for life after football.

Was it hard on his ego to come back here and speak to the Chiefs?

“It's a total non-issue,” Hill said. “I would've loved to have played here 13 or 14 years. But I'm glad I was forced to figure out what to do with the rest of my life. You can't play football forever. I'm fortunate, I'm making as much now as I did when I was playing football, and I can do this for the rest of my life. I'm glad I can come back here and give back to the players.”

HemiEd
05-01-2005, 04:08 AM
It is good to hear that the "real deal" is doing ok. I doubt if he will be doing any counseling or orientation for the new Charger players. ROFL

htismaqe
05-01-2005, 06:10 AM
Forget what you've heard from Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil

The best advice Jason, or anyone else, can give us fans.

“You know, Jason says you're one of my many draft busts,” Peterson inappropriately joked with Hill along the sideline Saturday.

Inappropriate? I think not.

siberian khatru
05-01-2005, 07:05 AM
Good for Greg. I knew he did the TV gig, but I didn't realize he had the biz skills. Sounds impressive.

runnercyclist
05-01-2005, 07:33 AM
Not it sounds like this cat has his life together. Hopefully he swung by Warfield's "house" and did a bit of counseling there as well.

BigRedChief
05-01-2005, 08:02 AM
Forget what you've heard from Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil, the Chiefs justifiably have astronomical expectations for the player they snagged with the 15th pick in the draft.

But they still thought about trading down. Okay I'll STFU

patteeu
05-01-2005, 08:13 AM
Forget what you've heard from Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil, the Chiefs justifiably have astronomical expectations for the player they snagged with the 15th pick in the draft.

I don't know how you know that, but if Carl Peterson wasn't willing to consider it he actually would be as incompetent as you always say he is.

CrazyHorse
05-01-2005, 08:23 AM

Isn't it documented that the Chiefs had a trade partner that was willing to trade up, but when asked what player they would take, they said Derrick Johnson? Isn't that when Peterson said no, that is the player we want. Then squashed the trade and took Johnson?

I know that doesn't fit your agenda. So this info probably went in one ear and out the other. This makes your decision to STFU likely a good one.

Good call.

KC Jones
05-01-2005, 09:08 AM

I believe Hill had serious talent that was never fully utilized. Once he got to St. Louis and was starting he was tearing it up. Routinely having 150+ yard games - then he blew out his knee. Everyone knows the rumors about Hill and Marty chasing the same piece of tail. Even if that isn't true, I think his lack of a starting role here had more to do with politics, his relationship with the coaching staff, and his lack of maturity rather than his talent. Hell, just look what happened with Joe Horn once he left Arrowhead.

I don't see Hill as a draft bust as much as wasted talent followed by career ending injury.

the Talking Can
05-01-2005, 09:12 AM

I think it is typical dickface CP. Why bring up his less than satisfying career?

CP was using Hill to get a dig in against Whitlock.

If Hill has a problem with Whitlock I'm sure he'd address that on his own terms.

jspchief
05-01-2005, 09:23 AM
I think it is typical dickface CP. Why bring up his less than satisfying career?

CP was using Hill to get a dig in against Whitlock.

If Hill has a problem with Whitlock I'm sure he'd address that on his own terms.It was a little bush league.

But it sounds like Whitlock must have been there (how else would he know what was said?), and now he's pissed that he has to face up to someone who he's been publicly trashing. Whitlock flings his monkey sh*t from the safety of his radio mike and his keyboard, but as soon as it's time to own his comments, he starts wimpering about what's appropriate. Hack coward.

DaWolf
05-01-2005, 09:31 AM
Yeah, Whitlock is in no position to tell anyone what's appropriate and inappropriate. This is a dude who got suspended for holding up a "Bledsoe is gay" sign in the pressbox at Foxborough. Funny, yes. Appropriate, no...

Rausch
05-01-2005, 09:48 AM

I think Hill was the same kind of bust Joe Horn was...

Sure-Oz
05-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Hill never was given a fair shake in KC, im glad he's doing good.

ChiefsCountry
05-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Hill would be like Priest in this offense. He wasn't a good fit in Marty's run into your blocker offense.

DaWolf
05-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Hill would be like Priest in this offense. He wasn't a good fit in Marty's run into your blocker offense.
Not sure about that. Hill seemed to lack great vision and balance, two things Holmes has, so I don't know how good he would have been in this offense. Priest is patient and allows his blocks to develop, and Hill never did that. But he did have great speed and quickness, which is why he had some monster games on artificial turf...

Rain Man
05-01-2005, 03:11 PM
I agree with several others on here. Wasting Greg Hill's career was Marty's greatest mistake. Hill never got a chance, and he had great potential and great production during the 2 carries per game that Marty would give him.

Dunit35
05-01-2005, 09:46 PM
Hill is probably making as much money as he did in the NFL...

ChiefsCountry
05-01-2005, 09:51 PM
No, Hill is using the money he made in the NFL the right way.

Hydrae
05-01-2005, 10:10 PM
Hill is probably making as much money as he did in the NFL...

“It's a total non-issue,” Hill said. “I would've loved to have played here 13 or 14 years. But I'm glad I was forced to figure out what to do with the rest of my life. You can't play football forever. I'm fortunate, I'm making as much now as I did when I was playing football, and I can do this for the rest of my life. I'm glad I can come back here and give back to the players.”