PDA

View Full Version : A Fan's Perspective

CosmicPal
05-01-2005, 03:20 PM
While I was out getting sloshed during our Pub Crawl last night, I ran into this guy who had on a Texas Longhorn sweatshirt. So, I walked up to him and said to him, "Texas fan, eh?"
"Yea."
"Big football fan?"
"Uh huh."
"So, how do you feel about Derrick Johnson?"
"Why, are you a Chiefs fan?"
"Yep."
"Dude- you guys are so damn LUCKY! D.J. is the sh*t man! He's the best!"
"Really? So, you think he'll make the transition to the pros with no problems."
"Are you shitten me? D.J.'s gonna be the best linebacker in the pros, man. He'll be better than that guy you guys had, who uhmmm...."
"Derrick Thomas?"
"Yea. That guy who died in the car wreck."
"You think he'll be better than Derrick Thomas?"
"Shit yea, man. D.J.'s gonna be the best!"

Anyways, thought you guys would want to hear what a genuine Texas fan had to say about our newest linebacker- even if he was drunk at the time.

Rain Man
05-01-2005, 03:22 PM
I wasn't drunk. My mouth was just full of cheetos.

luv
05-01-2005, 03:22 PM
While I was out getting sloshed during our Pub Crawl last night, I ran into this guy who had on a Texas Longhorn sweatshirt. So, I walked up to him and said to him, "Texas fan, eh?"
"Yea."
"Big football fan?"
"Uh huh."
"So, how do you feel about Derrick Johnson?"
"Why, are you a Chiefs fan?"
"Yep."
"Dude- you guys are so damn LUCKY! D.J. is the sh*t man! He's the best!"
"Really? So, you think he'll make the transition to the pros with no problems."
"Are you shitten me? D.J.'s gonna be the best linebacker in the pros, man. He'll be better than that guy you guys had, who uhmmm...."
"Derrick Thomas?"
"Yea. That guy who died in the car wreck."
"You think he'll be better than Derrick Thomas?"
"Shit yea, man. D.J.'s gonna be the best!"

Anyways, thought you guys would want to hear what a genuine Texas fan had to say about our newest linebacker- even if he was drunk at the time.

1. You must have been just starting your night if you remember that whole conversation, and
2. He must have been really drunk to not remember Derrick Thomas' name.

Simplex3
05-01-2005, 03:23 PM
"Dude. I love you man. Say, what's your name again?"

Yeah, drunks are perfect judges of nuance. ROFL

keg in kc
05-01-2005, 03:23 PM
Nice to have an unbiased perspective to balance out all the local homers.

CosmicPal
05-01-2005, 03:24 PM
1. You must have been just starting your night if you remember that whole conversation, and

1. Correct

2. Correct

4th and Long
05-01-2005, 03:26 PM
I am hopeful that the defensive moves will pan out for the better and our defense will much improved. That being said, I am also cautiously optimist, because I know full well that the football Gods, who seem to have a warped sense of humor, do not approve of the Chiefs having both a solid offense and solid defense.

whoman69
05-01-2005, 04:26 PM
I thought we were all through with the DT comparisons.

Fairplay
05-01-2005, 04:29 PM
I have two friends who are bigtime Steelers fans. And they both thought Kendrell Bell was a monster at LB. Both think the Chiefs picking him up was a great move.
Though they didn't want to see him go.

milkman
05-01-2005, 05:05 PM

I'm not sure #2 is entirely true.
I've encountered a number of football fans out here on the west coast that have difficulty remembering DT's name.

They remember the player, and are aware of the kind of player he was, but the name eludes them.

That, I think, is the result of the lack of media attention that the Chiefs get nationally.

Reaper16
05-01-2005, 09:55 PM
I'm not sure #2 is entirely true.
I've encountered a number of football fans out here on the west coast that have difficulty remembering DT's name.

They remember the player, and are aware of the kind of player he was, but the name eludes them.

That, I think, is the result of the lack of media attention that the Chiefs get nationally.

Which is probably why he didn't get in the Hall of Fame 1st ballot. National media doesn't care about small markets like KC. NY, Dallas, Chicago, LA, etc. That's all that matters. Green Bay is the exception, they only get recognition because the media has firmly entrenched itself around Favre's cock.

Spicy McHaggis
05-01-2005, 10:03 PM
I have two friends who are bigtime Steelers fans. And they both thought Kendrell Bell was a monster at LB. Both think the Chiefs picking him up was a great move.
Though they didn't want to see him go.

I've got a friend who is a bigtime steelers fan too but also is a huge, huge Bell fan. He told me that he was going to get Bell's Chief jersey and that he is "quite" irritated Kendrell wasn't resigned.

Dunit35
05-01-2005, 10:51 PM
talking to drunk people is F'n hilarious, especially when your the sober one..

patteeu
05-02-2005, 05:54 AM
I've got a friend who is a Titan's fan. Well, he was a Titan's fan until they let Carlos Hall slip away to the Chiefs. He told me that without Carlos Hall, the Titans are nothing but Steve McNair and a bunch of wannabe Carlos Halls.

OK, I was lying about the part about having a friend.

jynni
05-02-2005, 06:36 AM

Last season I was watching one of the football games with my dad. He's not a huge fan but he lives in KC and tries to keep up. After watching the defense get shredded he turned to me the following conversation ensued.

Dad: "What team does Derrick Thomas play for now?"

Me: (Thinking he can't possibly be serious) "He died like five years ago".

Dad: "Oh yeah - he was the one who died. I just hadn't heard his name in awhile and was thinking he played for someone else now."

Radar Chief
05-02-2005, 07:56 AM
OK, I was lying about the part about having a friend.

I think we all recognized that one right away, but didn’t want to upset the fantasy you’ve got going. ;)

arrowhead20
05-03-2005, 01:44 AM
there are suprising similarities between DT and DJ,
1. they both are named Derrick( thats a given)
2. they were both linebackers of the year before they got drafted by the chiefs
3. they both won the "best linebacker" trophy in their final year(i forget the name)

tk13
05-03-2005, 01:48 AM
Plus, DT had a secretary named Johnson and DJ a secretary named Thomas. OooooOOOoooo *Twilight Zone Music*

arrowhead20
05-03-2005, 02:07 AM
Boomer will sart at linebacker halfway throught the season.
then the starters will be :
OLB- Bell
MLB- Boomer
OLB- Johnson
Boomer is like a younger Maslowski, and will be the next Urlacher or Z. Thomas.

King_Chief_Fan
05-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Boomer will sart at linebacker halfway throught the season.
then the starters will be :
OLB- Bell
MLB- Boomer
OLB- Johnson
Boomer is like a younger Maslowski, and will be the next Urlacher or Z. Thomas.

I am for anything that causes KWEAKa to have to sit down. I know he played better, but that is in perspective. Better than he played earlier in the season is not saying much.

Frankie
05-03-2005, 09:44 AM
I know full well that the football Gods, who seem to have a warped sense of humor, do not approve of the Chiefs having both a solid offense and solid defense.

They did in the Stram era.

Frankie
05-03-2005, 09:45 AM
I am for anything that causes KWEAKa to have to sit down. I know he played better, but that is in perspective. Better than he played earlier in the season is not saying much.

Great idea. Sit an ascending player.
:shake:

King_Chief_Fan
05-03-2005, 10:33 AM
Great idea. Sit an ascending player.
:shake:

consider where he started......and where he is after 2 years, I hardly call that ascending

Frankie
05-03-2005, 10:54 AM
consider where he started......and where he is after 2 years, I hardly call that ascending
Kawika Mitchel was for all practical purposes a rookie last year. Not to mention the awful GRob system that IMO took his development in the negative direction. It took him and Gun most of last season to reverse his direction. And once he did he showed steady improvement game by game. I'm not saying he will continue that improvement. But there's no reason yet to believe otherwise. He is a high draft choice and an ascending one at that. You just don't flush that kind of investment potential. If it was up to you and most of the other planeteers. Larry Johnson would have been cut last year.

Lzen
05-03-2005, 11:04 AM
Kawika Mitchel was for all practical purposes a rookie last year. Not to mention the awful GRob system that IMO took his development in the negative direction. It took him and Gun most of last season to reverse his direction. And once he did he showed steady improvement game by game. I'm not saying he will continue that improvement. But there's no reason yet to believe otherwise. He is a high draft choice and an ascending one at that. You just don't flush that kind of investment potential. If it was up to you and most of the other planeteers. Larry Johnson would have been cut last year.

Frankie, while I may not care much for your politcal leanings in the DC forum, I think you have some great football/Chiefs perspectives. :thumb:

One thing I would add to what you said is that one could also factor in Kawika's injury that kept him out of several games last year. I would say that injury stunted his developement, as well.

King_Chief_Fan
05-03-2005, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE=Frankie]Kawika Mitchel was for all practical purposes a rookie last year. Not to mention the awful GRob system that IMO took his development in the negative direction. It took him and Gun most of last season to reverse his direction. And once he did he showed steady improvement game by game. I'm not saying he will continue that improvement. But there's no reason yet to believe otherwise. He is a high draft choice and an ascending one at that. You just don't flush that kind of investment potential. If it was up to you and most of the other planeteers. Larry Johnson would have been cut last year.[/QUOTE

see that is where you are wrong.......Larry hit the field and showed his potential as soon as he got the chance.....KM is still learning I agree.
His learning curve needs to step it up a notch. If you consider him a one year rookie, a fresh grad with "potential" as you put it, could put KM on the bench. We will see........Here is hoping that MLB is not our weakest link in the D.

Saulbadguy
05-03-2005, 11:34 AM
Be warned, Tejas fans aren't the brightest bunch.

Frankie
05-19-2005, 08:24 AM
Frankie, while I may not care much for your politcal leanings in the DC forum, I think you have some great football/Chiefs perspectives. :thumb:

:)
Good man. You obviously have solid football views yourself. Your political ones will come around too in time. Don't worry. I have great confidence in you. ;)

HC_Chief
05-19-2005, 08:27 AM
I don't need a drunken UT fan to tell me that DJ is going to be a badass OLB for KC. I still can't believe he fell to us. A guy with that much speed & 'explosiveness' at 15 was an absolute steal.

Mile High Mania
05-19-2005, 08:57 AM
I'm shocked ... a UT homer thought one of his team's best defensive players would be the best ever? I think he'll be a great player as well, but you surely don't need a drunken fan of the shorthorns to tell you that.

Hell, he probably told the next Bears' fan he saw that Benson would be better than that other guy that played in Chicago years ago, what was his name...

chiefs4me
05-19-2005, 10:56 AM

:rolleyes:......and take that damn quote out of your sig....:harumph:

Saulbadguy
05-19-2005, 01:39 PM
:rolleyes:......and take that damn quote out of your sig....:harumph:
Are you a Whorens fan? Say it ain't so.

patteeu
05-19-2005, 02:00 PM

That's probably right. Afterall, Rain Man is one of the few Longhorns I know of on this board. He pretends to be smart by saying smart things, but we all know the truth. ;)

ck_IN
05-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Nothing against DJ, but it's been my experience that all Longhorn fans think their guy can walk on water.

I'll wait to see him play before I start making DT comparisons.

patteeu
05-19-2005, 02:48 PM
Nothing against DJ, but it's been my experience that all Longhorn fans think their guy can walk on water.

I'll wait to see him play before I start making DT comparisons.

I think you might be on to something. I'm a Longhorn fan and I think Priest Holmes is the best RB the Chiefs have ever had.

ck_IN
05-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Ah but how do you feel about Ricky Williams? *L*

patteeu
05-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Ah but how do you feel about Ricky Williams? *L*

I'm really glad he played for Miami and not KC. hehe.