PDA

View Full Version : Merrill: Chiefs hope Thorpe is a bargain

tk13
05-02-2005, 01:06 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/11540134.htm

Injury costly to receiver

But the Chiefs hope Thorpe is a bargain

By ELIZABETH MERRILL The Kansas City Star

It was a simple choice of words. “Craphonso Thorpe Shatters Leg.” Thorpe was lying on the field, with 83,000 watching, and he just didn't get up. A teammate motioned for his parents to come. His mom sprinted down the bleachers.

Michelle Thorpe said those words probably cost her son millions.

“It was never a shatter,” she said. “We heard that's how he dropped. His leg. The media said it was shattered, but it was a clean break.”

Never argue with an NFL mom holding a large camera. The Thorpes were in Kansas City over the weekend watching Craphonso, a fourth-round draft pick, work in his first NFL camp. They love Kansas City.

They say the Chiefs got a steal.

Thorpe was considered one of the top wide receiver prospects in the country before he shattered — er, broke — his leg at the end of his junior season at Florida State. With blazing speed, two Atlantic Coast Conference sprint titles and two healthy legs, he was tabbed as a first-rounder. Thorpe took just nine months to come back after the injury and eagerly anticipated a first-day, late-afternoon call. It didn't come — perhaps because of the “S” word — but he's not bitter.

“Craphonso's attitude is, God doesn't make mistakes,” Michelle Thorpe said. “This is where Craphonso is supposed to have been all the time. Whether first or fourth, this is where he's supposed to be.”

Excuse Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil if he holds off on assessing Thorpe's draft value. After three days of rookie camp, it was hard to tell. Two nervous quarterbacks — James Kilian and Jason White — spent part of the weekend off target. Thorpe, like most rookie receivers, struggled to run different routes.

“He'll be OK,” Vermeil said after Sunday's final workout. “He's got a lot of work to do, though. It's hard to go full speed and think at the same time when you're not sure you're going the right direction and doing the right thing.”

The 6-foot, 187-pound Thorpe compared the playbook to math: Get the basic stuff down, and keep adding. Thorpe calls Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders a “football mastermind.” He says the offense, which ranked No. 1 in the NFL last year, is a perfect fit.

Thorpe was master of another high-powered offense in 2003 when had 51 catches for 994 yards at Florida State. He was blocking a North Carolina State defender on an overtime play when he broke both major bones in his right leg. The Chiefs' draft media packet called the injury “gruesome.” The word “shattered” was also used.

Whatever it was, Thorpe is ready for the questions to end.

“I'm just trying to show everybody I'm healthy,” Thorpe said. “That was the biggest question about me coming in.

“I think I have more of a drive, more of a hunger. It was tough getting that confidence back, but I had a whole season to work through it.”

Thorpe was held out of preseason camp last year, and the quick rehab undoubtedly hampered his senior season. He had half as many receiving yards (496) on 40 catches. But he gained 10 pounds of muscle during the rehab — Thorpe has added 30 pounds to his wiry frame since coming to Florida State — and his mom insists that before the leg injury, “Cro” had never been hurt before.

“That's my support system right there,” Thorpe said, referring to his parents, who were in full tourist mode and ready to raid the Chiefs' fan shops.

“I don't think I would've made it without them.”

Thorpe doesn't talk much, but his parents make up for it. When they tell people about Craphonso's speed, they debate about where he got it. His mother, a former hurdler, says it's her. His father, a sprinter, disagrees.

There's one thing they don't argue about, the draft.

“First round,” Michelle said. “Definitely.”

http://www.kansascity.com/images/kansascity/kansascitystar/news/ChiefsCamp_SP125_042905_JFS.jpg
JOHN SLEEZER/The Kansas City Star
Chiefs fourth-round draft pick Craphonso Thorpe got to show off his pass-catching ability at a minicamp over the weekend at the team's indoor practice facility.

chief4life
05-02-2005, 05:44 AM
Ok i am not a doctor so someone tell me what is the difference from getting your leg shatterered and broken?

And I agree i think this kid could be the steal of the draft :thumb:

nascher
05-02-2005, 05:56 AM
It was broken in two places.

the Talking Can
05-02-2005, 06:16 AM
Ok i am not a doctor so someone tell me what is the difference from getting your leg shatterered and broken?

And I agree i think this kid could be the steal of the draft :thumb:

the difference between 2 pieces and 20 pieces...

mcan
05-02-2005, 06:26 AM
I wonder if his mom is ever on the internet... It would be really cool to see another player's mother pimping her son off to the fans over a certain popular internet bulletin board...

Dartgod
05-02-2005, 06:33 AM
Thorpe calls Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders a “football mastermind.”
:BS: We all know there is only one "mastermind" in the NFL, and he's not in Kansas City. :rolleyes:

mcan
05-02-2005, 06:37 AM
:BS: We all know there is only one "mastermind" in the NFL, and he's not in Kansas City. :rolleyes:

Bam Morris?

the Talking Can
05-02-2005, 06:38 AM

Paul Hackett?

jspchief
05-02-2005, 06:42 AM
No offense to his mother, but what they called the break on TV didn't have a damn thing to do with him dropping in the draft. It was the fact that his production dropped dramatically since the break. He put up half the numbers that he posted the season before breaking his leg.

That being said, he could be one of the major steals of the draft. Had he come out for the '04 draft, he would have been a first or early second round pick. If he fully recovers from his injury, and returns to that '03 form, we'll have picked up a hell of a WR with a 4th round pick.

nascher
05-02-2005, 07:15 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/11540134.htm

i doubt he still has a problem.

siberian khatru
05-02-2005, 07:16 AM
How can you do a story on Thorpe with his parents standing right there and not ask them why, WHY OH LORD, did they name their son "Craphonso"?

jspchief
05-02-2005, 07:24 AM
How can you do a story on Thorpe with his parents standing right there and not ask them why, WHY OH LORD, did they name their son "Craphonso"?His dad already cleared that up. It's a combination of Craig and Alphonso.

whoman69
05-02-2005, 07:25 AM
“Craphonso's attitude is, God doesn't make mistakes,” Michelle Thorpe said. “This is where Craphonso is supposed to have been all the time. Whether first or fourth, this is where he's supposed to be.”
No, but you did when you gave him that name.

cookster50
How can you do a story on Thorpe with his parents standing right there and not ask them why, WHY OH LORD, did they name their son "Craphonso"?

That has been covered already.

headsnap

chicken fingers and popcorn chicken.

cmh6476
05-02-2005, 07:26 AM
marty schottenheimer? :eek:

siberian khatru
05-02-2005, 07:27 AM
His dad already cleared that up. It's a combination of Craig and Alphonso.

Ah, I missed that. Thanks. :thumb:

eazyb81
05-02-2005, 08:56 AM
I have a great feeling about this kid. He was considered one of the most talented WRs in the country until his broken leg, then he was basically forgotten about. I was hoping for the past few months that we would draft him, he seems like a perfect fit for Saunders offense. If he continues to work hard I can see him getting a lot of playing time later in the season, once he learns the offense.

A WR combo of Parker and Thorpe would be pretty cool in a couple years.

Rain Man
05-02-2005, 09:01 AM

Alpraig would've been cool.

eazyb81
05-02-2005, 09:05 AM

or just Alph, from Melmac.

Phobia
05-02-2005, 09:09 AM

It's a combination of opium and heroin.

Dartgod
05-02-2005, 09:10 AM
Alphag would have been better.

Rain Man
05-02-2005, 09:12 AM
Alphag? You can name your kid that, but I'll stick with Alpraig.

Okay, we need a poll. Hang on.

Uncle_Ted
05-02-2005, 09:23 AM
What, no smarta$$ comments about the DB we got covering him in that pic? Who is that, McCleon? I knew he was old but I didn't realize he was pushing 50. :)

TRR
05-02-2005, 10:03 AM
Is it just me, or did anyone else take one look at Cro Thorpe in that picture and say, "when did Andre Rison get another tryout with KC"?

Rain Man
05-02-2005, 10:14 AM
What, no smarta$$ comments about the DB we got covering him in that pic? Who is that, McCleon? I knew he was old but I didn't realize he was pushing 50. :)

It looks like they've got him playing zone.

Traveller
05-02-2005, 10:22 AM

Isn't that Charlie Joiner?

http://www.kcchiefs.com/coach/charlie_joiner/

royr17
05-02-2005, 10:38 AM
Yep looks Like Andre "Spider-Man" Rison a little.

Uncle_Ted
05-02-2005, 12:27 PM
Isn't that Charlie Joiner?

http://www.kcchiefs.com/coach/charlie_joiner/

Sweet. Jokes aside, I was wondering who that was.