PDA

View Full Version : Surtain & Co. look to have big test week 1

Nzoner
05-03-2005, 09:31 AM
As the Jets wrapped up their three-day minicamp Sunday, there was reason for optimism on offense even though Pennington is out. Under Heimerdinger, the Jets are expected to use four- and five-receiver sets with more of an emphasis on downfield passing. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050501/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_jets_minicamp/nc:1357;_ylt=ApmkQT6.h4wyGbFIa6iZaRfIyLQF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl)

I know it's early but at least it's football talk.

NEW YORK - Though Chad Pennington is still nursing his surgically repaired right shoulder, he already has gotten the attention of offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger.

Every day since Heimerdinger arrived from the
Tennessee Titans, the Jets' franchise quarterback has peppered his new coach with one question after another about the new offense and his role in it.

"He drives me crazy right now," Heimerdinger said during a break in minicamp. "Since the day I got here he's been there every day. I'm not sure how his wife puts up with him."

As the Jets wrapped up their three-day minicamp Sunday, there was reason for optimism on offense even though Pennington is out. Under Heimerdinger, the Jets are expected to use four- and five-receiver sets with more of an emphasis on downfield passing.

Pennington also will be lining up in the shotgun, something never employed under former coordinator Paul Hackett, fired in the offseason after four seasons of a vanilla offensive game plan. As Wayne Chrebet said, "When my mom knows what's coming, something is wrong."

There also will be plenty of audibles, allowing Pennington to use his smarts to check into a better play.

Of course, Pennington has been able only to learn the system. He won't get a chance to start throwing until June after offseason surgery to repair a torn right rotator cuff. Pennington said there is no doubt he will be ready for the season opener Sept. 11 at Kansas City, but how much time he will have actually running the new offense before then is a big question mark.

Heimerdinger and coach Herman Edwards aren't worried about that. Edwards is just excited with some of the changes.

"When you install something new, you get everyone's attention," Edwards said. "There's a lot of things new, but for the most part Mike did a good job of really filtering some things that we had done here that he liked, and that we continue to build on and use those things and he brought in some new things, so it's a mix of both."

In addition to the scheme changes, Heimerdinger will call the games from the sideline rather than the coaches box. He also is much more animated than Hackett, barking instructions and criticizing players who make mistakes.

The fiery personality could help get the Jets motivated. The passing philosophy needed an overhaul. The Jets ranked 17th in NFL in scoring and 22nd in passing last season, while Heimerdinger had plenty of success with the Titans.

In 2003, Steve McNair was co-MVP of the league and Tennessee scored its most points (435) since 1961. The Titans also posted a franchise record with six straight games scoring 30 or more points — the third NFL team to accomplish such a streak since 1970.

Pennington should be comfortable in the shotgun and calling audibles because he did both with plenty of success at Marshall.

"Now, you're going to miss some every once in a while and that's OK, and you're going to hit a few," Edwards said. "I told (Pennington), 'You might not lead the league in completions, you might not be 80 percent. I'm not going to worry about that."

The addition of Laveranues Coles and Doug Jolley should also help. Pennington and Coles developed a good relationship in 2002, Coles' last season with the Jets before signing with the Redskins. Coles had one touchdown reception last season, and Edwards told the receiver that would change in 2005.

"I think we definitely added to our firepower," Pennington said. "With the offense and coach Heimerdinger's philosophy, it definitely gives the guys chances to make plays and that's all they ask for."

There were other reasons for big hopes. Rookie Mike Nugent looked confident kicking the ball, and cornerback Justin Miller should be able to help on punt and kickoff returns. Defensive tackle Sione Pouha also might be able to fill in nicely on the line.

Of course, the real work will be done in training camp, which starts the final week in July.

teedubya
05-03-2005, 09:35 AM
quote- Pennington also will be lining up in the shotgun, something never employed under former coordinator Paul Hackett, fired in the offseason after four seasons of a vanilla offensive game plan. As Wayne Chrebet said, "When my mom knows what's coming, something is wrong."

HA HAH AHAH ROFL

The Jets finally figured out what KC fans have known for a long long long long long time. Hackett Sucks.

King_Chief_Fan
05-03-2005, 09:38 AM
Pennington does not impress me that much. In the Titans offense, McNair was a double threat, pass and run and he was not afraid to lay the wood to who ever was trying to tackle him. If the Tenn offense is used in NY....Well, let's just say, I ain't scared.

Lzen
05-03-2005, 09:38 AM
:Elvis: Uh huh huh huh.....uh huh huh huh. He said Heimerdinger.

Frankie
05-03-2005, 09:39 AM
The Jets finally figured out what KC fans have known for a long long long long long time. Hackett Sucks.
BUDDY Hackett is a better OC than Paul. And I mean in his current state.

tomahawk kid
05-03-2005, 09:40 AM
I like the fact that we're getting NY in the first game of the first year in a new offensive scheme.

Think the home opener for KC in 2001 against Oakland.

Frankie
05-03-2005, 09:40 AM
Even with all the new additions, this 'D' will probably not gel right away. So, yes, the early games are a bit scary.

KChiefs1
05-03-2005, 09:44 AM
the Jets are expected to use four- and five-receiver sets with more of an emphasis on downfield passing.

Do the Jets have the personnel to play this type of offense? Pennington is known to have an average at best arm & who are these four or five WR's that the Jets are going to put on the field? I'm thinking their offense isn't going to be ready by week one & that the Chiefs got lucky in having the Jets as their first game at Arrowhead! :p

I can't wait to see how the Jets react when they can't hear a thing on offense... :)

htismaqe
05-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Even with all the new additions, this 'D' will probably not gel right away. So, yes, the early games are a bit scary.

Our defense has as much chance of "gelling" before this game as New York's offense has of "gelling" in this COMPLETELY new offense.

nascher
05-03-2005, 09:49 AM
Oakland or Denver would scare me more in Game 1.

Nzoner
05-03-2005, 09:52 AM
Do the Jets have the personnel to play this type of offense? Pennington is known to have an average at best arm & who are these four or five WR's that the Jets are going to put on the field? I'm thinking their offense isn't going to be ready by week one & that the Chiefs got lucky in having the Jets as their first game at Arrowhead! :p

I can't wait to see how the Jets react when they can't hear a thing on offense... :)

3 of the wr's are Laveranues Coles,Justin McCareins and Wayne Chrebet and they added Doug Jolley at TE from the Raiders.

Hoover
05-03-2005, 09:57 AM
3 of the wr's are Laveranues Coles,Justin McCareins and Wayne Chrebet and they added Doug Jolley at TE from the Raiders.
If this game was in Jersey I would be worried. But its not. I think the Chiefs will win by a TD, and put up a good defensive effort.

tyton75
05-03-2005, 10:36 AM
on the other hand... all of our Defensive starters SHOULD be injury free for the most part during the opening games.. so maybe its better that we play our hard games first?!

jarjar
05-03-2005, 10:42 AM
I've been a fan of Penningtons ever since I saw him run out onto the field and butt helmets with his teammates a few years ago. He looked so enthusiastic you can't help but be drawn in.

Obviously I don't wish him well against The Chiefs, but after that I hope the new system works out for him.

Kyle401
05-03-2005, 10:46 AM
on the other hand... all of our Defensive starters SHOULD be injury free for the most part during the opening games.. so maybe its better that we play our hard games first?!

Shawn Barber?

Every game will be a test for this defense until they prove they have the capability to shut any offense down. Don't get me wrong. I think that we have made improvements, but until they show up on the field, even the 2004 Bears could ring up 28 points on us.

eazyb81
05-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Shawn Barber?

Every game will be a test for this defense until they prove they have the capability to shut any offense down. Don't get me wrong. I think that we have made improvements, but until they show up on the field, even the 2004 Bears could ring up 28 points on us.

Do you still consider Barber as a starter? Who is he going to play in front of, Bell or DJ? Barber was a good guy while he was here, but I think his best days are behind him after this recent injury.

Wile_E_Coyote
05-03-2005, 10:54 AM
"He drives me crazy right now," Blaylock said during a break in minicamp. "Since the day I got here he's been there every day. I'm not sure how his wife puts up with him."

Frankie
05-03-2005, 10:57 AM
Our defense has as much chance of "gelling" before this game as New York's offense has of "gelling" in this COMPLETELY new offense.
True. But not knowing which one will "gel" first is a bit scary.

Spicy McHaggis
05-03-2005, 11:03 AM
True. But not knowing which one will "gel" first is a bit scary.

As a general rule defense is almost always ahead of offense when it comes to "gelling". Surtain's Stats against NY - 1 int, 3 tackles

Amnorix
05-03-2005, 11:04 AM
Chrebet slowed down ALOT last year. His tank might be just about empty.

Lavernues Coles is freaking scary-good. Not Moss or Owens or Harrison, but just a half-rung down from that level.

Pennington's arm strength is an ongoing question. He had shoulder issues last year, but damn he was pathetic out there. He'll need to overcome that issue this year or it will always dog him.

Jets OLine is pretty good, but not great. Mawae is excellent at Center (though I hate him), but the rest of the guys aren't great. Not sure if they can spread wide and block everybody. Also need to see how quick Penny can make decisions.

CuMar doesn't ever seem to slow down, but they have no solid backup that I know of to spell him. Lamont Jordan moved on (to the Raiders I believe).

We'll see. They were 11-5 last year, but the Patriots spanked 'em solidly both times, as did the Steelers. They were clearly pretty darn good, but not yet elite.

Kyle401
05-03-2005, 11:20 AM
Do you still consider Barber as a starter? Who is he going to play in front of, Bell or DJ? Barber was a good guy while he was here, but I think his best days are behind him after this recent injury.

If Barber is 100% healthy in week 1, I think he is likely to start over Johnson (at the beginning of the season) or they will play Bell in the middle and start Johnson, Bell, Barber. Remember, nobody's positions are set yet. Gunther has given us a preview, but he also said that he would play guys where he can utilize their strengths. If he thinks that he can scheme to exploit Bell's strengths by putting him in the middle, I think he will.

This entire discussion is likely moot, as I doubt Barber will be 100% healthy by week 1.

Kyle401
05-03-2005, 11:21 AM
CuMar doesn't ever seem to slow down, but they have no solid backup that I know of to spell him. Lamont Jordan moved on (to the Raiders I believe).

They picked up D. Blaylock, a FA RB from KC who had some pretty good games here.

philfree
05-03-2005, 12:37 PM
If Barber is 100% healthy in week 1, I think he is likely to start over Johnson (at the beginning of the season) or they will play Bell in the middle and start Johnson, Bell, Barber. Remember, nobody's positions are set yet. Gunther has given us a preview, but he also said that he would play guys where he can utilize their strengths. If he thinks that he can scheme to exploit Bell's strengths by putting him in the middle, I think he will.

This entire discussion is likely moot, as I doubt Barber will be 100% healthy by week 1.

I think Barber played like crap last year before he was injured. He kept giving up his backside responsibility which allowed teams to play action and bootleg us into submission. Biesel played better at RLB then Barber did IMO.

PhilFree:arrow:

DenverChief
05-03-2005, 12:42 PM
quote- Pennington also will be lining up in the shotgun, something never employed under former coordinator Paul Hackett, fired in the offseason after four seasons of a vanilla offensive game plan. As Wayne Chrebet said, "When my mom knows what's coming, something is wrong."

HA HAH AHAH ROFL

Hey Ali why do you have to throw your sexuality in everybodys face? :banghead:

Calcountry
05-03-2005, 01:09 PM
Hey Ali why do you have to throw your sexuality in everybodys face? :banghead:Maybe he is a closet case, just trying to cover it up? :shrug:

PastorMikH
05-03-2005, 01:41 PM
The REAL question is... Will Pennington be DJ's first NFL sack???:)

beer bacon
05-03-2005, 01:44 PM

What about Bell's or Hall's first sack as a Chiefs? Alternatively, he could give up Surtain's, Knight's, or even Hodge's first first interception as a Chief.

philfree
05-03-2005, 01:48 PM

Or will he get his 1st INT covering the TE they just traded for? That's gonna be a big plus to our D, Jonsons ability to cover TEs and make plays on the ball. Kinda like I read in "that one" article about Johnson. He's a little DT and a little DE mixed together in 6'3" 242 LB body. Actually he's a better run stopper then either of those guys to so............O.K. can we start the season early?

PhilFree:arrow:

Hammock Parties
05-03-2005, 02:14 PM
I think we're going to blow out the Jets on opening day. You know our offense ALWAYS shows up on opening day, and this D is going to be hungry and out for blood.

CoMoChief
05-03-2005, 03:24 PM
I just dont see how our defense was awesome against Vick and the Falcons, but we sucked so bad after that.

ZootedGranny
05-03-2005, 03:27 PM
I think we're going to blow out the Jets on opening day. You know our offense ALWAYS shows up on opening day, and this D is going to be hungry and out for blood.

My thoughts as well. Arrowhead is going to damn near come down if the D starts with a 3 an out.

stevieray
05-03-2005, 03:35 PM
We'll see. They were 11-5 last year, but the Patriots spanked 'em solidly both times, as did the Steelers. They were clearly pretty darn good, but not yet elite.

The Jets gave the Steeler playoff game away. They have noone to blame but themselves, IIRC the steelers didn't spank them.

BigChiefFan
05-03-2005, 03:35 PM
I think Gunther should go with a simplified scheme. I thought our defense looked best in the preseason against the Rams last year.

Kyle401
05-03-2005, 04:29 PM
I just dont see how our defense was awesome against Vick and the Falcons, but we sucked so bad after that.

Our offense had the ball for over 40 minutes in that game IIRC. Our defense barely saw the field.

Hammock Parties
05-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Our offense had the ball for over 40 minutes in that game IIRC. Our defense barely saw the field.

Yes but the D still made a bunch of plays early on. It wasn't hard for us to defense Vick's weak passing though, especially once they had to abandon the runnin game.

CoMoChief
05-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Chrebet slowed down ALOT last year. His tank might be just about empty.

Lavernues Coles is freaking scary-good. Not Moss or Owens or Harrison, but just a half-rung down from that level.

Pennington's arm strength is an ongoing question. He had shoulder issues last year, but damn he was pathetic out there. He'll need to overcome that issue this year or it will always dog him.

Jets OLine is pretty good, but not great. Mawae is excellent at Center (though I hate him), but the rest of the guys aren't great. Not sure if they can spread wide and block everybody. Also need to see how quick Penny can make decisions.

Isnt Derrick Blaylock CurMar's backup??? Hes not a bad backup at all.

jspchief
05-03-2005, 05:13 PM
My thoughts as well. Arrowhead is going to damn near come down if the D starts with a 3 an out.Dam, that gave me chills just thinking about it. I can't wait.

It's been awhile since our D pumped the crowd up instead of deflating them. I'm ready to get back to the mid-nineties Arrowhead. :thumb:

Nzoner
05-03-2005, 06:02 PM
Dam, that gave me chills just thinking about it. I can't wait.

It's been awhile since our D pumped the crowd up instead of deflating them. I'm ready to get back to the mid-nineties Arrowhead. :thumb:

You and me both,hell I used to have take aspirin in because I knew by mid 3rd quarter I was going to have a major headache.

teedubya
05-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Hey Ali why do you have to throw your sexuality in everybodys face? :banghead:

Feel free to put my avatar on ignore, like 3/4 of the planet has with yours.

Pants
05-03-2005, 09:08 PM
Feel free to put my avatar on ignore, like 3/4 of the planet has with yours.

"Must...adjust...the...sracasm...meter...NOW!"